WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:35 am

lukertin wrote:Rosen is awesome.
Some people seem to like him a lot, but I don't think I had a law school class that I disliked more, or tried in less.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

3Ls...just got offered environmental lit seminar with Mandelker, trying to decide whether to take it and drop either Fed Tax (Block) or Corporations (Badawi). I am already taking a seminar in the spring. Any advice?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:3Ls...just got offered environmental lit seminar with Mandelker, trying to decide whether to take it and drop either Fed Tax (Block) or Corporations (Badawi). I am already taking a seminar in the spring. Any advice?
Drop Badawi for Mandelker? This 2L thinks you're crazy. Plus, you've already had
Mandelker. I dunno about fed tax tho.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:3Ls...just got offered environmental lit seminar with Mandelker, trying to decide whether to take it and drop either Fed Tax (Block) or Corporations (Badawi). I am already taking a seminar in the spring. Any advice?
This is secondhand information, but the few 3Ls I've talked to who took Mandelker's seminar said it was a big waste, and these were people who are interested in environmental. Basically, he can't ever remember who you are you don't get much feedback on the one assignment you have, which is to write a paper.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
This is secondhand information, but the few 3Ls I've talked to who took Mandelker's seminar said it was a big waste, and these were people who are interested in environmental. Basically, he can't ever remember who you are you don't get much feedback on the one assignment you have, which is to write a paper.
+1. Mandelker is a great guy, decent property prof, but terrible in seminars from everything I've ever heard. And Badawi is one of the top 4-5 profs at WUSTL, so keep his class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Some people seem to like him a lot, but I don't think I had a law school class that I disliked more, or tried in less.
i think, on average, people that care about class or about their grade don't like rosen as much.
people that give zero fucks tend to love him.

he just tells all these war stories and let's you know how much of a badass he is/was.
he gives you all of the notes for each lesson with questions that he's going to ask in class ahead of time.
If you really want to get the book, get the older version for $20...

but that's a jager-bomb and a beer to chase it bro. Think hard.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 pm

fl0w wrote:i think, on average, people that care about class or about their grade don't like rosen as much.

he just tells all these war stories and let's you know how much of a badass he is/was.
he gives you all of the notes for each lesson with questions that he's going to ask in class ahead of time.

Well I guess that explains it.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I have a quick question. Is there a non-enforced time for general parking (guessing yellow permits) during the week. It said that from like 5p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Monday there is no enforcement, but what about during the week (a la you can park in yellow spots after 5 p.m. with no worries without a permit)

Just curious if I can just go home for dinner, then drive back to finish up work on some days.

Thanks.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I have a quick question. Is there a non-enforced time for general parking (guessing yellow permits) during the week. It said that from like 5p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Monday there is no enforcement, but what about during the week (a la you can park in yellow spots after 5 p.m. with no worries without a permit)

Just curious if I can just go home for dinner, then drive back to finish up work on some days.

Thanks.
They don't enforce evenings. After 5 you're safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:I have a quick question. Is there a non-enforced time for general parking (guessing yellow permits) during the week. It said that from like 5p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Monday there is no enforcement, but what about during the week (a la you can park in yellow spots after 5 p.m. with no worries without a permit)

Thanks.
also....
i just am not going to pay the wash u parking tickets. i mean c'mon.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Thanks.
also....
i just am not going to pay the wash u parking tickets. i mean c'mon.
Bingo.

If you drive occasionally, it's always best to risk it. You could even make some fake looking tag out of yellow or red paper.

Parking Protip: If you park next to a wall(on the side) or between cars and jack your wheel to the right or left as far as it can go, (almost) no one will risk trying to tow your car.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 pm

LMAO, now that's a parking protip.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 am

Last edited by goldeneye on Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 am

That's beautiful. But he's a gunner who's worth his salt, that minor setback won't deter him from future annoying in-class behavior.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:18 am

goldeneye wrote:We had a kid challenge a professor today during orientation. Quinn responded to him "you're clearly not listening", and proceeded to tear his argument apart.
Hilarious.

Also, a 1L told me yesterday at the student organization fair that the class is smaller this year so they're not opening up the overflow? Everyone has to go to the courtroom. I have trouble believing that.

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 am

romothesavior wrote:
Could not agree more.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 am

Last edited by goldeneye on Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am

goldeneye wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
goldeneye wrote:We had a kid challenge a professor today during orientation. Quinn responded to him "you're clearly not listening", and proceeded to tear his argument apart.
Hilarious.

Also, a 1L told me yesterday at the student organization fair that the class is smaller this year so they're not opening up the overflow? Everyone has to go to the courtroom. I have trouble believing that.
There's only 203 of us, so we all fit. So unfortunately it's true
gotta protect dat LSAT median...

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 am

Con law orientation professor: anyone have any additional questions or thoughts? *5 hands go up*

Come on people

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey 3Ls, anybody taken Pretrial? How much did you use the book? Considering saving $100 and getting the 7th Ed. of the Pretrial book instead of the "new and improved" (lolyeahright) 8th edition.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hey 3Ls, anybody taken Pretrial? How much did you use the book? Considering saving $100 and getting the 7th Ed. of the Pretrial book instead of the "new and improved" (lolyeahright) 8th edition.
I took it.

I used the book 1 time. So... borrow from a friend if you get stuck? I mean the class is pass/fail. And high-passing isn't hard (if you are into that sort of thing) because it's typically full of 3Ls who give zero fucks.

If you just feel guilty about not getting a book, the older edition will be more than enough. But again, I don't recommend you get a book at all. Our teacher gave us very detailed examples on how to do things so I just copied his format and that = success.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
i think, on average, people that care about class or about their grade don't like rosen as much.

Ok, I don't care about class for its own sake, but I do care about my grade. Are you saying it's hard for people to care about their grades to figure out what his expectations are, or something?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Evidence is pretty easy to learn via supplements and really not that hard of a class. Rosen (despite all the stories he tells) doesn't do anything particularly special that makes the class hard or unique or something. It's not a class/exam with a lot of policy or professorial nuance. It just is what it is. I never paid an ounce of attention in class, couldn't have told you what hearsay was like three weeks before the exam, spent about 2 weeks really studying and breaking down all the rules, and did fine on the exam, and I know others who did the same. If you want to actually know the rules of evidence, this is not an advisable strategy, but the material is pretty easy to pick up with a few weeks of studying, and Rosen isn't going to throw you for a loop.

That said, his exams can be hard, and not in the "Oh this is a good challenge" kind of way, but in a "WTF am I reading, is this even logically coherent?" kind of way. I thought his exam last year wasn't too bad, but he is known for being an atrocious exam-writer.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm seriously entertaining not buying most of my text books, or getting old versions. The latter strategy work just fine in my classes last semester.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I need suggestions for textbooks in Evidence, Copyrights, Patents, and Pre-trial. Buy/not buy/buy older version.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”