WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
notedgarfigaro

Silver

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:57 pm

RoseVI wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:If you go back to the first couple of pages from the WUSTL EIW thread, people are posting things like "19 interview, 16 preselect/3 lottery/ 2 alternates." And they're saying that at the beginning of August. My bet is that they no longer differentiate for you. Maybe because people were taking lottery interviews less seriously?
I got an email from CSO yesterday offering me an interview with a firm I'd ranked towards the top of my list, but originally been rejected from. I would like to think this may have been a lottery pick
just got a similar email, but it was for a specific slot (that I couldn't do...). Thus I'm led to conclude that the lottery picks have already happened.

/sad panda

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:48 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
RoseVI wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:If you go back to the first couple of pages from the WUSTL EIW thread, people are posting things like "19 interview, 16 preselect/3 lottery/ 2 alternates." And they're saying that at the beginning of August. My bet is that they no longer differentiate for you. Maybe because people were taking lottery interviews less seriously?
I got an email from CSO yesterday offering me an interview with a firm I'd ranked towards the top of my list, but originally been rejected from. I would like to think this may have been a lottery pick
just got a similar email, but it was for a specific slot (that I couldn't do...). Thus I'm led to conclude that the lottery picks have already happened.

/sad panda
OK, but has ANYONE heard of any person getting even a single lottery pick? I've talked to 5+ people and no one is reporting any lottery picks. This seems strange.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
RoseVI wrote:

/sad panda
OK, but has ANYONE heard of any person getting even a single lottery pick? I've talked to 5+ people and no one is reporting any lottery picks. This seems strange.
I think that they're not telling us if an interview was lottery or not. I asked if there was anyway I could get a different interview slot for either the one offered or the one I had in the current slot, and was told no, there were no open slots elsewhere. Then again, I was not an alternate for this firm, so who knows.

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40 pm

I emailed CSO and was told that the lottery picks would indeed read "Lottery Selection" instead of "Accept Selection" or "Accept Alternate," which makes the apparent lack of humans with lottery picks...confusing.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:32 pm

do you ever buy the suggested/recommended materials from the bookstore? looking at amazon for cheap books but wondered if those were needed at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm

I also got an email today about them having an open slot at a specific time, and would I like it. Sounded a lot more like an alternate than a lottery though. Michael Bluth, when you emailed them, did they imply that lottery selects were indeed out?

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 pm

soccerfreak wrote:I also got an email today about them having an open slot at a specific time, and would I like it. Sounded a lot more like an alternate than a lottery though. Michael Bluth, when you emailed them, did they imply that lottery selects were indeed out?
You know, I wish I had been more specific in the phrasing of my question, but I believe I asked something like "Is there any way to differentiate between a preselect and a lottery selection?" and the response was that the lottery picks would say "Lottery Selection."

Now I'm kicking myself for not tailoring my question better. SIDE NOTE: The CSO has been extraordinarily good about email response. During business hours I haven't had to wait longer than 5 mins for a response.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm

goldeneye wrote:do you ever buy the suggested/recommended materials from the bookstore? looking at amazon for cheap books but wondered if those were needed at all.
I'd advise waiting. Though if you've got Osgood or Magarian, go ahead and get Dressler and Chemerinsky, respectively.

RoseVI

New

Post by RoseVI » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
goldeneye wrote:do you ever buy the suggested/recommended materials from the bookstore? looking at amazon for cheap books but wondered if those were needed at all.
I'd advise waiting. Though if you've got Osgood or Magarian, go ahead and get Dressler and Chemerinsky, respectively.
The Torts and Civ Pro E&Es are generally helpful regardless of professor, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
magarian has this under required, should I just get Chemerinsky instead: Con Law '12 supplement by SUllivan.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:31 pm

goldeneye wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
magarian has this under required, should I just get Chemerinsky instead: Con Law '12 supplement by SUllivan.
That's a supplement to your text book, it's required- it has cases that have been decided since the current edition was released that the author will include in the next edition. Still get Chemerinsky though for Magarian.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm

goldeneye wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
Yea he said it was require last semester too, then when he actually assigned anything out of it he publicly acknowledged that he didn't expect anyone to have paid for an additional book.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:
Yea he said it was require last semester too, then when he actually assigned anything out of it he publicly acknowledged that he didn't expect anyone to have paid for an additional book.
It was ~$12.

Also, I have a bunch of 1L texts if anyone wants to buy any- I had Mandelker/Tamanaha/Smith/Osgood/Magarian (and Lim, but she's not teaching this semester).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Protip: Buying those text book case supplements (the ones with updated cases) is almost always a waste of money, as you only end up using them once or twice, and you can just get the few cases on westlaw/lexis/goodle.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Oban wrote:Protip: Buying those text book case supplements (the ones with updated cases) is almost always a waste of money, as you only end up using them once or twice, and you can just get the few cases on westlaw/lexis/goodle.
+1. Im even questioning whether to buy the new textbook editions this year for the same reason. I bought the previous edition of a book for a class last year for like $10 and did fine in the class. Probably ill-advised for a 1L but I'm a 3L who simply DGAF anymore and is tired of funding the lawl skool scam.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Oban wrote:Protip: Buying those text book case supplements (the ones with updated cases) is almost always a waste of money, as you only end up using them once or twice, and you can just get the few cases on westlaw/lexis/goodle.
Probably ill-advised for a 1L but I'm a 32L who simply DGAF anymore and is tired of funding the lawl skool scam.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Everyone's jadedness scares the hell out of me. I read the WUSTL Class of 2013 and 2014, plus this thread twice, and it scares me how Romo, Flow, JCouger and the likes go in with bright eyes and bushy tails, then after that first year, it's death to everything lawl.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:01 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Everyone's jadedness scares the hell out of me. I read the WUSTL Class of 2013 and 2014, plus this thread twice, and it scares me how Romo, Flow, JCouger and the likes go in with bright eyes and bushy tails, then after that first year, it's death to everything lawl.
i'm amazed that you've had the patience to track some of us like this, haha. But I, like Romo, am in IDGAF mode. To the point where I'm studying abroad. Because 3L just.does.not.matter.

But if I were to be some kind of responsible mentor, I'd say do your best on the front end. It pays huge dividends. If I were to allow my jadedness to take over.... you'd be surprised how angry you might be at how you broke your back over some things.

Law students just kind of wallow in their own misery in general. But when it's all said and done I'm happy.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:49 pm

LRW on my schedule is down for 0 credits. is that right? it's graded I thought.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 pm

goldeneye wrote:LRW on my schedule is down for 0 credits. is that right? it's graded I thought.
That's legal research, Separate from your writing class (LP). You'll get an hour credit for it next semester, 2 hours for each semester of LP.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 pm

stratocophic wrote:
goldeneye wrote:LRW on my schedule is down for 0 credits. is that right? it's graded I thought.
That's legal research, Separate from your writing class (LP). You'll get an hour credit for it next semester, 2 hours for each semester of LP.
thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:30 pm

goldeneye wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
thanks.
Np

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 am

i have

Greenfield: Contracts

Osgood: Crim Law

Drobak: Civ Pro

Anyone care to comment?

RoseVI

New

Post by RoseVI » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 am

roaringeagle wrote:i have

Anyone care to comment?
pray you don't get cold called by all three the same day.

EDIT to provide a real answer: I had Drobak for property, and enjoyed him as a professor. The best way to succeed is to learn the concepts from supplements because some of his explanations left the entire class scratching their heads. Osgood is hilarious in crim. Listening to his opinions will probably prove helpful.
Last edited by RoseVI on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 am

roaringeagle wrote:i have

Anyone care to comment?
Haven't had any personally, but all three are solid. Greenfield and Drobak are institutions at WUSTL, and Greenfield is known for being one of the best profs at the school. I can't speak to their exams or anything since I didn't have them, but it sounds like you got a pretty good draw of professors.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”