WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chuckbass

Platinum

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by chuckbass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Fiero85 wrote: You're a fancy pants megathread OP now. We're from different worlds :)
I would give up my thread for you...

haha that's the biggest TLS compliment of all. Maybe after "I'd give up using the term 'retake' for you" :D

Much appreciated. I have no megathreads to give up in return, but right back at ya.
<3

Also, good luck to sublime, cuse, mark, and everyone else with finals! We'll all understand your pain soon enough.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 02, 2014 8:11 pm

I think i've asked this before about Vault (thanks to goldeneye for the clarification on that), but speaking more generally, do we get access to any resources to research firms during the summer? (e.g. AmLaw)? If not, how did most of the 2Ls and 3Ls research their firms?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri May 02, 2014 8:39 pm

cusenation wrote:I think i've asked this before about Vault (thanks to goldeneye for the clarification on that), but speaking more generally, do we get access to any resources to research firms during the summer? (e.g. AmLaw)? If not, how did most of the 2Ls and 3Ls research their firms?
Poorly.

I think this year CSO will actually have some data for you on grades, callbacks, and offers from prior years, but I'm not entirely sure where they are on that and how much they are going to share, but it's definitely going to be more than we received in years prior.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
cusenation wrote:I think i've asked this before about Vault (thanks to goldeneye for the clarification on that), but speaking more generally, do we get access to any resources to research firms during the summer? (e.g. AmLaw)? If not, how did most of the 2Ls and 3Ls research their firms?
Poorly.

I think this year CSO will actually have some data for you on grades, callbacks, and offers from prior years, but I'm not entirely sure where they are on that and how much they are going to share, but it's definitely going to be more than we received in years prior.
I mean all that info (callback/offers/grades) are helpful for determining our "chances" but i mean, how are we supposed to research firms in general? For example what resources do I have to figure out if Firm X has a better practice group for what I wanna do as opposed to Firm Y? Am i just stuck having to buy an AmLaw/Vault subscription? Chambers is somewhat helpful for figuring out a general hierarchy because it groups firms into bands, but other than that it just looks like a lot of kool aid.

more generally, are there any resources to help us learn more about practice groups at all? I know there was some "PERSONALITY QUIZ TO HELP FIGURE OUT WHICH PRACTICE IS SUITED FOR YOU" thing that 1Ls were supposed to fill out earlier in the year, but i want to actually learn about what different practice groups do. Is it entirely up to us to find that information or can we rely on some guidance/info from CSO?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri May 02, 2014 10:00 pm

cusenation wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:
Poorly.

I mean all that info (callback/offers/grades) are helpful for determining our "chances" but i mean, how are we supposed to research firms in general? For example what resources do I have to figure out if Firm X has a better practice group for what I wanna do as opposed to Firm Y? Am i just stuck having to buy an AmLaw/Vault subscription? Chambers is somewhat helpful for figuring out a general hierarchy because it groups firms into bands, but other than that it just looks like a lot of kool aid.

more generally, are there any resources to help us learn more about practice groups at all? I know there was some "PERSONALITY QUIZ TO HELP FIGURE OUT WHICH PRACTICE IS SUITED FOR YOU" thing that 1Ls were supposed to fill out earlier in the year, but i want to actually learn about what different practice groups do. Is it entirely up to us to find that information or can we rely on some guidance/info from CSO?
The most helpful thing that I can recall is http://www.nalpdirectory.com/ It'll give you breakdowns of the offices, practice groups, lawyers, demographics, summers per year, offer rates, etc. And it's not much, but chambers has http://www.chambers-associate.com/Artic ... aSummaries which gives you a little bit of information on what each area is like. I wouldn't worry too much about which firm is slightly higher rated in a specific practice area - I don't think that will help much at OCI, and if you have offers later, that's the time to start talking to people about the minute details between firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 pm

You can try to see if any good ones are here. http://library.wustl.edu/units/business/databases.html

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sat May 03, 2014 2:05 am

cusenation wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:
Poorly.

Turns out this thread is amazing: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=228583

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon May 05, 2014 1:33 pm

SOOO...Wiley Rutledge...yea or nay?
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 pm

I'd say that depends on whether you want to criminal law. Also, corporations and commercial law are not similar.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 pm

cusenation wrote:SOOO...Wiley Rutledge...yea or nay?
It sucks and is way less credits than it is worth, but employers like to see moot court on the resume. Lots of places you interview with with have "Journal/moot court required/preferred"

Do it, and consider the shittyness of it a right of passage that will be over after 1 semester.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Mon May 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Birdnals wrote:
cusenation wrote:SOOO...Wiley Rutledge...yea or nay?
It sucks and is way less credits than it is worth, but employers like to see moot court on the resume. Lots of places you interview with with have "Journal/moot court required/preferred"

Do it, and consider the shittyness of it a right of passage that will be over after 1 semester.
I'd say definitely do it. But then I enjoyed it. The brief writing is a pain in the ass but the actual oral arguments are really fun. And it is helpful to have on your resume.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon May 05, 2014 4:35 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:So while we are talking courses.
Since I'm stuck on the waiting list for Corporations I'm thinking about taking Federal Income Taxation with Block.

Why is it worth 4 credits as opposed to 3?
Should I be scared?
How bad can a course with an in-class final be?

Thoughts?
IMO, Block's fed tax class is a breeze...except her final is an incomprehensible mess. You meet slightly longer each week for the extra credit, but the workload is VERY manageable and the coursebook is straight forward and very readable.

I found it to be the most straight forward class in law school b/c almost every transaction is balanced, and the ones that aren't (such as healthcare, mortgage interest deduction etc) you already are familiar. Block herself is very good at explaining the system, and she's pretty lovable in her own right.

Corporate Tax...that's a whole other story.
Maybe it was different in a previous semester, but Block's exam was very straightforward. Basically agree with the rest of this. Block is awesome, workload is light, and the material is interesting and understandable. Might be the best value course in law school to get four credits for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 am

Does anyone know of anyone that got Philly biglaw, or got back to Philly? I have strong Philly ties/have lived there, and I know it's not something I can use as a fallback, but I just wonder as to what my chances might be with good grades and mass mailing.

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 am

So, uh, we're going to talk about this email, right?

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Tue May 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:So, uh, we're going to talk about this email, right?

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
Please share with the rest of the class. This sounds interesting.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
I'm sure it'll hit abovethelaw soon. Also, this email is entirely in line with all of the stories I've been hearing about her.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
I'm sure it'll hit abovethelaw soon. Also, this email is entirely in line with all of the stories I've been hearing about her.
What email?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
What email?
The email that the entire WashU law community received this morning. I'm sure it'll be on abovethelaw this afternoon.

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
Aren't you going somewhere else in the fall?

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Tue May 06, 2014 12:45 pm

I agree with the Professor in declining the award. Why do they have one award for professor of the year and the other for practice professor of the year? If they are equal then one should be doctrinal prof. of year and the other practice prof. of year. Or just prof. of year. If Wash U made a commitment to her that she would be treated the same as the other profs then she has every right to be angry, cause this award is lesser. Also I think she is right about the problem of valuing doctrinal over practice. Both are just as important, and if you give lesser awards to practice profs or pay them less you are saying doctrinal is more important, which isn't the case. For an internship or a job LP and LRM are just as important as property etc.

Also the SBA should have notified the winners first before blasting an all school e-mail, which would have prevented this situation in the 1st place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Tue May 06, 2014 12:53 pm

dougfunny wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

"express ghetto-ization"

wtf?
Aren't you going somewhere else in the fall?
Yes I am.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Tue May 06, 2014 1:09 pm

A friend posted this and it made me laugh.
Wash. U. folks: Please take a moment to appreciate that we just received an email where the sender perfectly impersonates BOTH Taylor Swift (award recipient) and Kanye (complaining about award).

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm

jdmonkey wrote:I agree with the Professor in declining the award. Why do they have one award for professor of the year and the other for practice professor of the year? If they are equal then one should be doctrinal prof. of year and the other practice prof. of year. Or just prof. of year. If Wash U made a commitment to her that she would be treated the same as the other profs then she has every right to be angry, cause this award is lesser. Also I think she is right about the problem of valuing doctrinal over practice. Both are just as important, and if you give lesser awards to practice profs or pay them less you are saying doctrinal is more important, which isn't the case. For an internship or a job LP and LRM are just as important as property etc.

Also the SBA should have notified the winners first before blasting an all school e-mail, which would have prevented this situation in the 1st place.
We used to have just one award but the same professors kept winning and the professors with smaller classes were never recognized. So SBA sought a way to honor those professors. It could have been done to only have professors who just teach practical classes and no overlap but oh well. Her email was completely over the top and was self indulging "at Tennessee I was professor of the year. Period." Okay good for you.

Send it to the Sba president and other faculty it doesn't need to go to everybody. And secondly, in no way is she "ghetto-ized".

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm

jdmonkey wrote:I agree with the Professor in declining the award. Why do they have one award for professor of the year and the other for practice professor of the year? If they are equal then one should be doctrinal prof. of year and the other practice prof. of year. Or just prof. of year. If Wash U made a commitment to her that she would be treated the same as the other profs then she has every right to be angry, cause this award is lesser. Also I think she is right about the problem of valuing doctrinal over practice. Both are just as important, and if you give lesser awards to practice profs or pay them less you are saying doctrinal is more important, which isn't the case. For an internship or a job LP and LRM are just as important as property etc.

lol it's very unlikely that it would have prevented the situation. This prof clearly wanted to be heard. You really think she would have quietly rejected the award if SBA had told her beforehand? (There's a good chance they did tell her beforehand)

She wanted a forum to be heard and to express her displeasure. She would have pulled this stunt no matter what.

Internal faculty politics underlie a lot of this stuff (e.g. why Tamanaha will never ever be dean of this law school no matter how awesome that would be). It's unfortunate? Sure. But it's reality. Maybe SBA will rename the award. But this is the 2nd time a clinical prof has protested the award. The clinicians weren't happy with the previous title..i think it was "Clinical Prof of the Year" or something like that. So SBA renamed it. And now they're unhappy about it again. To me this just seems like she has a chip on her shoulder.

The award clearly acknowledges that she is a professor. But it's called "Experiential" because that's precisely the nature of her teaching. We are not saying she's less important or less special or whatever. We are honoring her for the experiential aspect of her teaching, which is her clinic.

The reason SBA has a separate award designated to honor the clinical profs is BECAUSE we don't want them to be overlooked. If we didn't set aside such an award and instead had two slots for Professor of the Year, it's unlikely that the clinical profs would be honored at all. The awards would just go to two doctrinal profs every single time. Think about how many people take a single 1L doctrinal class versus the 10-20 3Ls that are in XYZ Clinic. The numbers just aren't there to make the clinicians competitive against the doctrinal profs.

ETA: Scooped by Golden Eye

ETA: Experiential PROFESSOR of the Year from WashU is so much more presTTTTigious than TEACHER of the Year at Tennessee. WHY THE DISPLEASURE?
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue May 06, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”