WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Diamond

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:10 am

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:10 am

sublime wrote:
Xs20 wrote:I asked this before for STL in general, but can anyone recommend a gym in CWE? Club Fitness sounds like a good deal but I'd go more often if I found one closer to my apartment.
Depending on the WUSTL provided gym, I may get a Club Fitness membership, as it looks like it is right by my apartment.
Apparently it's pretty bad... Further reducing the already small chance I drive from CWE to campus to work out there lol

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah, during my tour, my guide said his only criticism while he was there was that the gym sucks.

But, as long as I can work out at it for free, I'll deal with it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 am

hoos89 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:It looks like 7-8 people from the top 30-40 people were removed from the rankings, but it's definitely a number less than 10 (which is really all we can know for sure from the available data). I'd guess 4-5 of them were from the top ~15 students.
It was 14 people. The number in the class went from 297 to 283. Where they were placed, though, I can't say.
Could it have also been people dropping out? Does that happen?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:18 am

hoos89 wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:It looks like 7-8 people from the top 30-40 people were removed from the rankings, but it's definitely a number less than 10 (which is really all we can know for sure from the available data). I'd guess 4-5 of them were from the top ~15 students.
It was 14 people. The number in the class went from 297 to 283. Where they were placed, though, I can't say.
It's pretty easy to deduce that less then 10 people went from the top 20% - less than 200 people in the class, and the top 25% original percentile is still lower than the current 20% percentile. If 10 people had left, 10 people = 5%, meaning that any percentiles below the cutoff would move up at least 5%, which the 25% percentile did not do. As we don't know original ranks beyond the percentiles at that area, we have to guess - but 7-8 is very likely.

Frankly, who cares if they removed a bunch of people below the top quarter, it doesn't really effect anything at all, which is why I focused on the number that actually change things.

(And obviously you meant it went from 197 to 183)

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 am

cusenation wrote:
sublime wrote:
Xs20 wrote:I asked this before for STL in general, but can anyone recommend a gym in CWE? Club Fitness sounds like a good deal but I'd go more often if I found one closer to my apartment.
Depending on the WUSTL provided gym, I may get a Club Fitness membership, as it looks like it is right by my apartment.
Apparently it's pretty bad... Further reducing the already small chance I drive from CWE to campus to work out there lol

The gym is horrible, mostly because wustl undergrads have terrible gym etiquette and all the sports teams use the same gym so it gets crowded during peak hours like 5-7 PM. Also the locker rooms are not great.

However, it is free, has a pretty decent Olympic lifting area, plenty of squat racks, and any machine you could possibly need. The mats in the weight room for core work are gross as hell but there are random mats scattered throughout the rest of the rec which are pretty clean.

I worked out 3-4 days a week in the gym, and swam pretty regularly there as well, so you can make it work as long as you go during off peak hours like in the morning before class or around noon-3.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am

/

theo12

New

Post by theo12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

it seems like a lot of TLSers say make friends with older students and then use their old outlines. im asking you as older students, is this what you do? is it the same with old exams or do the professors openly post them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 pm

/

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 am

theo12 wrote:it seems like a lot of TLSers say make friends with older students and then use their old outlines. im asking you as older students, is this what you do? is it the same with old exams or do the professors openly post them?
Depends on the class, and on you. But I used older students' outlines and thought it was pretty beneficial.

Professors may post a couple, but you should ask around looking for more; sometimes they give out different past exams in different years, and they get passed down between students. Tamanaha in particular has a bunch out there.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

I would get outlines from a few different people, then use them in conjunction with supplements, your notes, and your book to make your own.

Also, IMO, outlines should be 1) fairly concise (not 50-100+ page behemoths) and 2) topic/rule-based, not case-based. Throw in case names in parentheses if you need them or if its helpful, but I see little value in centering your outline around cases. YMMV.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:I would get outlines from a few different people, then use them in conjunction with supplements, your notes, and your book to make your own.

Also, IMO, outlines should be 1) fairly concise (not 50-100+ page behemoths) and 2) topic/rule-based, not case-based. Throw in case names in parentheses if you need them or if its helpful, but I see little value in centering your outline around cases. YMMV.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:57 pm

/

shrek

New

Post by shrek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am

hi, I was looking at the WUSTL website and their isn't much info provided on the study abroad semester exchange program-- can any current students tell me if studying abroad is popular at all, and if their are any downsides to doing it? I'm really interested in participating, maybe during 2L year. thanks!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 am

shrek wrote:hi, I was looking at the WUSTL website and their isn't much info provided on the study abroad semester exchange program-- can any current students tell me if studying abroad is popular at all, and if their are any downsides to doing it? I'm really interested in participating, maybe during 2L year. thanks!
Eh, study abroad isn't really that popular in law school in general, and if you were to do it, 3L year would be the year to do it, after you secured something. 2L year more about hustle for 2SA and stuff.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:02 pm

hoos89 wrote:I'm of the opinion that any major thing you do in law school (clinic, study abroad, etc.) should be with the mind set of "how is this going to help me get the job I want," and unless you really think study abroad is going to do that for you OR you already have that job, then probably don't do it. This isn't undergrad, and time spent out of the country when you could be looking for a job is probably not time well spent.
I agree. If you want to spend a semester in another location, do one of the clinics. Going abroad in law school usually makes little sense.

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm

shrek wrote:hi, I was looking at the WUSTL website and their isn't much info provided on the study abroad semester exchange program-- can any current students tell me if studying abroad is popular at all, and if their are any downsides to doing it? I'm really interested in participating, maybe during 2L year. thanks!
The people that I know did it either had familial or cultural ties to the location they went, or wanted to get away from law school. Most were part of some 4 or 3.5 year J.D./transnational program that I know zero about. FWIW, I do know one person is at a v50 office in Spain.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Does anyone have a Torts E&E they're willing to sell?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:31 pm

The Torts E&E is completely worth it just for the chapter or so at the back where Glannon talks about exams.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 pm

cusenation wrote:Does anyone have a Torts E&E they're willing to sell?
Dolphine

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

New

Post by LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 am

Hey, has anyone heard anything about the byron company? thinking about leasing an apartment from them.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Can anyone explain how the grading for LP and LRM works?

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

It's the same as the other classes as far as the 0-100 scale, but LP is worth 2 credits per semester and LRM is worth 1 for the two semesters combined, whereas doctrinal classes are worth 4 per semester. That doesn't mean they aren't important, though. You'll have a few assignments per semester for LP (memos and briefs in the first and second semester respectively) and your grades on those will comprise your grade. LRM is a joke and a 1-2 night cram job the night before the midterm and final is enough to do fine or even well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”