WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Gold

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Dolphine wrote:Anyone here have thoughts on the housing on 7002 Pershing?
the spot is nice, the building (I'm assuming it's the one over the hairdresser) looks a little dumpy. Still...Dominos is RIGHT THERE #FUTPT

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Dolphine wrote:Anyone here have thoughts on the housing on 7002 Pershing?
If that's the one above the print shop, it was godawful inside when I toured it 3 years ago. They might've redone it tho, worth taking a look at. TBF the rental agent was pretty startled at how bad it looked, might have just been a filthy former tenant in the one I looked at.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 pm

Dolphine wrote:Damn. I guess ill pass then. Makes sense why it was so cheap.
I'd recommend checking out Castlereagh if you're interested in living right by the school, it's much better and pretty damn cheap since all utilities/TV/internet are included in the base rent.

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Is anyone else confused/concerned about how the grade change will affect the percentiles? In theory, the change from four digits (90.23) to three digits (3.56) should make it more likely that multiple students have the same grade. The 1L cutoff for top third is 3.68. But with 197 people, it's likely that at least two students have a 3.68, right? So does the 3.68 cutoff mean that every student with a 3.68 is considered in the top third of the class? Or does it simply mean that the last person in the top third has a 3.68, with the possibility of other students with 3.68 of being not included?

For example, suppose one student's average is really a 3.675, and another student's average is a 3.684. The system gives both students a 3.68 by rounding. But what if these two students are ranked number 65 and 66? Wouldn't one student be in the top third and not the other? Can both students claim to be in the top third, even though it technically might not be true (especially since they're working on changing the system to account for four digits)?

I might be completely misunderstanding something, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. But it's not just a hypothetical, it actually affects which percentile I could claim on my resume. So if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:06 am

punkyg0608 wrote:Is anyone else confused/concerned about how the grade change will affect the percentiles? In theory, the change from four digits (90.23) to three digits (3.56) should make it more likely that multiple students have the same grade. The 1L cutoff for top third is 3.68. But with 197 people, it's likely that at least two students have a 3.68, right? So does the 3.68 cutoff mean that every student with a 3.68 is considered in the top third of the class? Or does it simply mean that the last person in the top third has a 3.68, with the possibility of other students with 3.68 of being not included?

For example, suppose one student's average is really a 3.675, and another student's average is a 3.684. The system gives both students a 3.68 by rounding. But what if these two students are ranked number 65 and 66? Wouldn't one student be in the top third and not the other? Can both students claim to be in the top third, even though it technically might not be true (especially since they're working on changing the system to account for four digits)?

I might be completely misunderstanding something, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. But it's not just a hypothetical, it actually affects which percentile I could claim on my resume. So if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it!
I know what you're getting at, but also I'd rather drink than think about it. You should do that too, mang.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 am

punkyg0608 wrote:Is anyone else confused/concerned about how the grade change will affect the percentiles? In theory, the change from four digits (90.23) to three digits (3.56) should make it more likely that multiple students have the same grade. The 1L cutoff for top third is 3.68. But with 197 people, it's likely that at least two students have a 3.68, right? So does the 3.68 cutoff mean that every student with a 3.68 is considered in the top third of the class? Or does it simply mean that the last person in the top third has a 3.68, with the possibility of other students with 3.68 of being not included?

considering that only students in the top 5% have their exact rank, you're worrying about something that doesn't matter. If the system says you have a 3.68, then you are in the top third. They're not changing the system to account for 4 digits, they're working to fix a problem where the system was improperly rounding when calculating how your grade was weighted.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am

stratocophic wrote:
I'd recommend checking out Castlereagh if you're interested in living right by the school, it's much better and pretty damn cheap since all utilities/TV/internet are included in the base rent.
Word. I'm signing with this building. Thanks for the tip.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Dolphine wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Word. I'm signing with this building. Thanks for the tip.
NP, lived there for 2 years and enjoyed it. I like to pass that knowledge on since STL housing is pretty spotty

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:21 am

Does anyone know anything about the Embassy on Union? It's only a block south of Delmar, so I'm not sure about the area, but it has pretty good reviews online.

Also, other than not being close for things like bar review, is there any other reason to avoid downtown? My wife and I are finding a ton more in our price range there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 am

Are there other major expenses/costs that we should expect as 1Ls other than the standard food/drink/housing/transportation/books? I know travel costs (for interviews and what not) and formal-wear are more urgent for 2L's and up but I wasn't sure if we'd be spending a lot on that stuff as 1Ls.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

Jay2716 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Embassy on Union? It's only a block south of Delmar, so I'm not sure about the area, but it has pretty good reviews online.

Also, other than not being close for things like bar review, is there any other reason to avoid downtown? My wife and I are finding a ton more in our price range there.
No idea about Embassy, but it is in a good area and I wouldn't foresee any problems with it.

I know a few guys who live downtown and don't have any problems. Biggest problems I would guess for the Wash Ave places is that it could be a bit loud, and I have no idea what the parking situation would be like but I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.
cusenation wrote:Are there other major expenses/costs that we should expect as 1Ls other than the standard food/drink/housing/transportation/books? I know travel costs (for interviews and what not) and formal-wear are more urgent for 2L's and up but I wasn't sure if we'd be spending a lot on that stuff as 1Ls.
Nothing really. I think parking pass and healthcare and such is all budgeted in the school list (or was last year at least). All you really need for interview wear and such is a good suit or two. Probably want a few pairs of slacks/ collared shirts for days when you should be dressed business casual (intersession and such).

I would personally take out the max given for living expenses. I didn't need it all, but I was glad I had it and didn't have to worry about money at all while trying to study. Worst case you have extra left over and don't need as much next year, and if something comes up like car repair or emergency room visit or something you are in good financial shape.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Looks like pandemonium in the applicants thread. People who quite possibly wouldn't have even gotten in 3 years ago being showered with full rides.

(checks student loan debt)

(fit of jealous rage :evil: )

I just hope some of that extra dough goes to the recent grads who really need it.

Also this likely doesn't bode well for the school's stats for next year if they're offering full rides to people who withdrew months ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 pm

romothesavior wrote: People who quite possibly wouldn't have even gotten in 3 years ago being showered with full rides.
And thus begins the rampant discrimination against the sub-168's
2L in the atrium wrote:Get away from me you diseased 166. This table is 169 or GTFO

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:38 pm

No clue. I imagine there us concern over LSAT medians. Maybe they just got flush with cash and have to spend it now. No clue.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:No clue. I imagine there us concern over LSAT medians. Maybe they just got flush with cash and have to spend it now. No clue.
This is what I was thinking. Probably got a new budget, and being a bureaucracy school wanted to spend it all to make sure their budget doesn't go down next year. Or maybe they are trying to get the "average student debt" stat down. Or a million other possibilities.

Not going to lie, I am quite jelly with the money being thrown out, but then I look at what I would have gotten if I had applied 2 or 3 years ago and I realize I still have it pretty damn good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 am

Birdnals wrote:

Not going to lie, I am quite jelly with the money being thrown out, but then I look at what I would have gotten if I had applied 2 or 3 years ago and I realize I still have it pretty damn good.
THIS... totally regretting applying in 2009...

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

New

Post by LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:10 am

hey looking for apartments with no luck- can anyone tell me how they feel about quadrangle apartments? im dealing with no car here so id like to be walking distance to the school or be able to take the train.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:hey looking for apartments with no luck- can anyone tell me how they feel about quadrangle apartments? im dealing with no car here so id like to be walking distance to the school or be able to take the train.
I highly recommend Castlereagh. You won't mistake it for a luxury apartment, but they're big rooms, WUSTL does a good job with maintenance etc, and it's really cheap since the utilities/TV/Internet are included in the rent.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:38 am

Best internet provider for Central West End? I would prefer an ISP that doesn't give a shit about what I do with the connection.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”