WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Gold

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:43 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:He took all 65 interviews? That's 1300 minutes of interview, or just over 21 hours. At just the Loyola program?
Don't turn down screeners or callbacks until you get an offer. And of course this wouldn't have just been on one day or at one program.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:46 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:He took all 65 interviews? That's 1300 minutes of interview, or just over 21 hours. At just the Loyola program?
You can bid for at most 32 firms at Loyola.

FuturePaulClement

New

Post by FuturePaulClement » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:54 pm

They say it takes 10,000 hours to master any skill. I logged over two hours of mock interviews with Career Services before OCI last year. The more interviews you do, the better you get.

lososos

New

Post by lososos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:55 pm

MoonSugar wrote:Can someone explain the walk around programs? I thought it was off campus but one of the firms websites says they will be at washu that day on their oci calendar. So now I'm confused.
The walkarounds are off campus, in whatever city the firms are located in. Also, they're not at one central location; if you have multiple interviews, you will travel between the firms' offices during the day. Probably if they list themselves as recruiting at WashU it's just an unclear description of the walkaround program, which is in fact located wherever they are (unless the walkaround conflicts with OCI, but I don't think this is the case).

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:58 pm

FuturePaulClement wrote:
They say it takes 10,000 hours to master any skill. I logged over two hours of mock interviews with Career Services before OCI last year. The more interviews you do, the better you get.
They must love you at the CSO office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ShapiroBen

New

Post by ShapiroBen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Hey 0L here. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to matriculate at Wash U next year. Saw that this was the most active WUSTL thread, not to mention the most interesting lol :D .

Anyways, I was wondering what tips you guys had for succeeding at Wash U. By succeed I mean get good grades, but also have somewhat of a social life and friends. I hear law students have a big problem with depression, so I don't want to sacrifice my livelihood for grades.

Also, what are the Wash U students like, what is the culture of St. Louis like, and how easy is it to make friends. It'll be my first time outside of the great state of Montana, so I'm weary of the culture shock.

Finally, whats are the professors like? Are they down to earth? Snobs? Conceited? I heard LOR's and connections with professors can go a long way.

Thank you! :D

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:08 pm

All the professors I had were great people, and I felt that all but one was somewhere between really good and absolutely amazing as an instructor.

St. Louis is fine, I am tired of it and ready to leave.The COL is nice. But judging by your username and tar, you may find it more appealing.

Each class seems to have their own kind of culture, but all and all I doubt it is much different than most similar schools.

As for grades, any of the threads on this around this forum are applicable here.

ETA: And for most of your time, even 1L, you will have plenty of time for a social life or whatever you want to do.

ShapiroBen

New

Post by ShapiroBen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:11 pm

sublime wrote:All the professors I had were great people, and I felt that all but one was somewhere between really good and absolutely amazing as an instructor.

St. Louis is fine, I am tired of it and ready to leave.The COL is nice. But judging by your username and tar, you may find it more appealing.

Each class seems to have their own kind of culture, but all and all I doubt it is much different than most similar schools.

As for grades, any of the threads on this around this forum are applicable here.

ETA: And for most of your time, even 1L, you will have plenty of time for a social life or whatever you want to do.
Thank you so much!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:24 pm

Ditto the phenomenal professor thing. I also wouldn't worry about losing out on a social life. Do the work recommended in the other threads (readings, attending class, taking notes, outlining), but if you find yourself unable to make time to hangout or do fun things then you're wasting your time. It may help ease your anxiety if you're studying non-stop, but everybody will tell you that if you do excessive work (reading the notes, reading unrelated sections of a supplement, etc.), you are wasting your time.

The student body is diverse and you should be able to find your niche. Just put yourself out there, and I would say throughout the entire year, most people are open to being friends.

Oh, and don't be presumptuous about grades. I mean, don't be presumptuous in general, but especially about grades or performance or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whatwhatinthebutt

New

Post by whatwhatinthebutt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:38 pm

ShapiroBen wrote:Finally, whats are the professors like? Are they down to earth? Snobs? Conceited? I heard LOR's and connections with professors can go a long way.
One more thing to add: if you do get a professor who you don't like I encourage you to speak with them outside of class, preferably one on one in their office. There are professors who are condescending and standoffish in class but they are genuinely nice guys who are interested in your education; they just come across poorly in class.

ShapiroBen

New

Post by ShapiroBen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks guys! This has been really helpful

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:23 am

Edited: Took like 2 seconds to answer my own question lol. Sorry!

New question though: Does the interview time matter? Morning, afternoon, evening? Earlier the better? After lunch?

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:43 am

I created the yearly OCI thread in Legal Employment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 am

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
ShapiroBen wrote:Finally, whats are the professors like? Are they down to earth? Snobs? Conceited? I heard LOR's and connections with professors can go a long way.
One more thing to add: if you do get a professor who you don't like I encourage you to speak with them outside of class, preferably one on one in their office. There are professors who are condescending and standoffish in class but they are genuinely nice guys who are interested in your education; they just come across poorly in class.
I would caution not annoying your professor though. A dude in my class who transferred would go to a professor's office hours every day to try to kiss ass b/c he thought the professor did not like him. The prof. tried explaining to him that it would not affect his grade, but he still visited every day. He would give him gifts like fruit baskets, cards, stuffed animals, etc. The straw that broke the camel's back was the dude got the professor's number and texted him a picture of his case brief. The teacher sorta flipped at him, which is a big reason why the kid transferred. He was actually really traumatized b/c of it. He could only muster the courage to tell me and his parents about it.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 am

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
I would caution not annoying your professor though. A dude in my class who transferred would go to a professor's office hours every day to try to kiss ass b/c he thought the professor did not like him. The prof. tried explaining to him that it would not affect his grade, but he still visited every day. He would give him gifts like fruit baskets, cards, stuffed animals, etc. The straw that broke the camel's back was the dude got the professor's number and texted him a picture of his case brief. The teacher sorta flipped at him, which is a big reason why the kid transferred. He was actually really traumatized b/c of it. He could only muster the courage to tell me and his parents about it.
Aka don't be a weirdo creeper to your profs.

Edit: This is pretty good advice, though I would hope it would be obvious to most folks.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Reminds me of the dude who came late to class every day (loudly), but still sat in the front row and spoke out of turn in class (even though he was obviously never prepared) and clearly got on the professor's nerves. He also repeatedly asked the professor in front of the class if he would write him a letter of recommendation/get him a job/testify as a character witness in his honor trial. The professor politely declined. I'm not entirely sure what happened to that kid, but I know he was an aspiring actor for some reason (and he wasn't very good at that either, judging by his youtube page).

FuturePaulClement

New

Post by FuturePaulClement » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:01 pm

ShapiroBen wrote:Hey 0L here. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to matriculate at Wash U next year. Saw that this was the most active WUSTL thread, not to mention the most interesting lol :D .

Anyways, I was wondering what tips you guys had for succeeding at Wash U. By succeed I mean get good grades, but also have somewhat of a social life and friends. I hear law students have a big problem with depression, so I don't want to sacrifice my livelihood for grades.

Also, what are the Wash U students like, what is the culture of St. Louis like, and how easy is it to make friends. It'll be my first time outside of the great state of Montana, so I'm weary of the culture shock.

Finally, whats are the professors like? Are they down to earth? Snobs? Conceited? I heard LOR's and connections with professors can go a long way.

It's easy to make friends, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your focus should be all about grades. Friends will almost certainly become jealous of you and try to leach off your hard-earned knowledge. I joined a chess club outside of school. It's the perfect blend of social interaction and mental stimulation to take your mind of school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShapiroBen

New

Post by ShapiroBen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:06 pm

FuturePaulClement wrote:
ShapiroBen wrote:Hey 0L here. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to matriculate at Wash U next year. Saw that this was the most active WUSTL thread, not to mention the most interesting lol :D .

It's easy to make friends, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your focus should be all about grades. Friends will almost certainly become jealous of you and try to leach off your hard-earned knowledge. I joined a chess club outside of school. It's the perfect blend of social interaction and mental stimulation to take your mind of school.
Oh wow they'll be that jealous huh? Is the chess club fun, are you good?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:08 pm

No, futurepaulclement is trolling and/or dumb.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure every single one of his posts is just trolling so I'd ignore him.

AngryAtMichigan

New

Post by AngryAtMichigan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:28 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
Yo not cool. I told you not to tell anyone about this shit. What if someone finds out who I am!? I told you as a friend, and all of a sudden I hear from one of my WUSTL friends that you're blasting a transfer on TLS. Honestly dude low blow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ref

New

Post by Ref » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm

What is happening to this thread? . . . again?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm grabbing popcorn. Seriously though, I don't think people will guess who the transfer person is (unless the xX dude is easily identifiable like me).

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:15 pm

My money is on relatively lazy sockpuppet trolling.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:33 pm

Joscellin wrote:My money is on relatively lazy sockpuppet trolling.
Obviously this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”