WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by sublime » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:50 pm

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:35 pm

American (and, specifically, St. Louis) people, what's the best cell phone provider and most convenient bank in the area?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:57 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:American (and, specifically, St. Louis) people, what's the best cell phone provider and most convenient bank in the area?
Verizon. I'll let someone tell you about banks, but I'm switching to BoA since they're across from my apartment and my current bank is only on the east coast :/

yankees12

New

Post by yankees12 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm

sublime wrote:Can anybody suggest a good tailor in the area?
For basic alterations like getting pants hemmed, I go to West End Tailor. She's cheaper, but it's cash/check only. For bigger stuff I go to Yelena's on Clayton Rd.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:29 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:American (and, specifically, St. Louis) people, what's the best cell phone provider and most convenient bank in the area?
St. Louis has good cell service for all the major carriers- I had AT&T and never had any problem. I also used Commerce Bank with no problems...mid-size chain with plenty of branches in the area. There's a BoA ATM right outside the lawschool building (and a branch on campus I think) which is pretty convenient, but you have to deal with BoA's stellar customer service.
sublime wrote:Can anybody suggest a good tailor in the area?
I used Brentwood Alteration on the recommendation of fellow tsl'er for 2 suits...a little out of the way, but they did an extremely good job.

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:46 am

I will say that when I was in St. Louis for housing day I noticed my T-Mobile service worked well, everywhere I went (Airport, around the University, baseball stadium), although I never ventured into the CWE so I can't speak to that. They have a great plan with unlimited data / texting and 100 minutes a month for $30, with 10 cents a minute over that. If you don't talk a lot it's far and away the best plan.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 pm

It's a city, so all cell phone carriers work fine; look to other factors when choosing a provider.

I'd recommend either US Bank or Bank of America:

-US Bank has the most locations in St. Louis by a fairly large margin. I've had them for my entire adult life, and had no problems. Bonus fun fact: there are full service branches in pretty much all Schnucks (main grocery store chain in the area), and these branches are open until 7 for some reason, so...extra banking hours!

-Bank of America has fewer locations in Stl than US Bank, but is probably in second, and there is an ATM next to the law building (and a full branch somewhere on the other side of campus).

-Both banks are national, so less of a pain when travelling elsewhere stateside.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Since you guys managed to help me out pretty well with cell phone and banks, I was wondering if you had any opinions aboubt the various ISPs in the area and what your experiences have been? I'm only looking into it now and trying to get my new place set up for when I arrive, but I've no idea what the best option is here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm

For speed you'll have to go with Charter. For... actually just plan on going with Charter.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:For speed you'll have to go with Charter. For... actually just plan on going with Charter.
Thanks, that seemed to be the best from my limited research but just wanted some confirmation from people in the area

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Weird... after I commented Charter sent me a promotional email, which is the first one in months...

I'm not shilling for you, Charter. Leave me alone. Your customer service is still awful, even if you are the only viable option.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:Since you guys managed to help me out pretty well with cell phone and banks, I was wondering if you had any opinions aboubt the various ISPs in the area and what your experiences have been? I'm only looking into it now and trying to get my new place set up for when I arrive, but I've no idea what the best option is here.
If you are going internet only, it's Charter, and it's not close. They give much higher speeds for a lower price.

This may not matter to you, but if you're doing TV as well, I'd go with U-verse. I'd be internet only, but I have multiple roommates who want the TV side and they seemed to be the best when bundling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

(Incoming 1L speaking)

De Geest still hasn't listed a textbook requirement. I think cuse said nobody who was a 1L last year had De Geest, but could any 3Ls shed some light?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:(Incoming 1L speaking)

De Geest still hasn't listed a textbook requirement. I think cuse said nobody who was a 1L last year had De Geest, but could any 3Ls shed some light?
There's definitely a case book but he also teaches his own version of contracts with his own definitions.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:06 pm

The subject line on that honor code email could have been better.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

hoos89 wrote:The subject line on that honor code email could have been better.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 pm

I got a hot flash.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Is there any conceivably legitimate reason that someone would go and ask to look at the copy of that charge?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 pm

bulinus wrote:Is there any conceivably legitimate reason that someone would go and ask to look at the copy of that charge?
So they could come and inform us of what it was. Come on TLS rumor mill, fill me in.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:07 pm

goldeneye wrote:

There's definitely a case book but he also teaches his own version of contracts with his own definitions.
Oh well that's... awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:08 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

Oh well that's... awesome.
Just remember everyone's on the curve

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 pm

goldeneye wrote:

He does a weird thing where he spends the first month or so going through a basic primer on contracts, and then does cases for the rest of the year. It made me really appreciate the normal case method.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
bulinus wrote:Is there any conceivably legitimate reason that someone would go and ask to look at the copy of that charge?
So they could come and inform us of what it was. Come on TLS rumor mill, fill me in.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Badawi, Mandelker, and Goldwasser. Go.

I'd appreciate insights about any or all of them. Also, overall, should I anticipate a difficult first semester?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”