WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
theycallmefoes

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by theycallmefoes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:18 am

Legalines, Casenote Legal Briefs, or High Court Case Summaries? There aren't enough Amazon reviews for me to get a feel for which company is best, so I'd really love some input.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:30 pm

You can make your own flash cards from one of the PAD frat outlines. The black letter law for torts is simplistic, so you would want to practice applying these basic rules to hypos (also focusing on defenses, exceptions, etc.). Making your own cards would help you get the bll stuck in your head. I had Tamanaha and he would be almost obsessed with the facts of the cases, but I feel like I could have read none of the cases, and could have done fine or maybe better just with a horn book and the flash card approach. But torts was not one of my finer performances so take with grain of salt. But I'd say know the bll like back of your hand cause you only get 3 hours to deal with tons of issues, so speed will matter in your grade.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm

jdmonkey wrote:You can make your own flash cards from one of the PAD frat outlines. The black letter law for torts is simplistic, so you would want to practice applying these basic rules to hypos (also focusing on defenses, exceptions, etc.). Making your own cards would help you get the bll stuck in your head. I had Tamanaha and he would be almost obsessed with the facts of the cases, but I feel like I could have read none of the cases, and could have done fine or maybe better just with a horn book and the flash card approach. But torts was not one of my finer performances so take with grain of salt. But I'd say know the bll like back of your hand cause you only get 3 hours to deal with tons of issues, so speed will matter in your grade.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the Law in a Flash Cards and then supplement with my own cards when necessary.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:18 am

Anybody have input about the LP and and LRM teachers? I have Lewis for Practice and Kloempken for Research.

Also, can someone explain to me what those two courses are/how they differ? - Edit: Never mind. Herpderp. http://law.wustl.edu/academics/pages.aspx?id=179

On another note, what, from the cases, would we actually be expected to know for class? For example, will I be randomly asked to explain the procedural history of a case, or is it enough to just know the holding and the rationale?

Thanks!
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:27 am

theycallmefoes wrote:Anybody have input about the LP and and LRM teachers? I have Lewis for Practice and Kloempken for Research. Also, can someone explain to me what those two courses are/how they differ?

On another note, what, from the cases, would we actually be expected to know for class? For example, will I be randomly asked to explain the procedural history of a case, or is it enough to just know the holding and the rationale?

Thanks!
LRM is worthless.

Professors have different expectations, but you should concern yourself more with learning material that might actually be exam than being impressive in class when you get cold called. I have yet to see an exam that called for the procedural posture of a case. Each case will have one, maybe two main takeaways that can be classified as "Black Letter Law." Write them down. Remember them. Put them in your outline at the end of the semester (which I suggest you make entirely by yourself).

That said, case facts can be helpful in some classes for analogizing to issues on an exam and for categorizing BLL. You won't need facts in great detail, but I've always found it helpful to organize the course in part by remembering a very brief fact pattern for each case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gregjames

Bronze

Post by Gregjames » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 pm

How is WUSTUL for Chicago Jobs?
WUSTUL or DePaul in Chicago??
What about Iowa and Emory in your opinion?

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Does Badawi allow students to record his lectures?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 am

theycallmefoes wrote:Does Badawi allow students to record his lectures?
Most professors have explicit policies not to record but YMMV

Pro Brono

New

Post by Pro Brono » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Last edited by Pro Brono on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Chicago is pretty competitive. It would be difficult to get many Chicago screeners in the top 20-25%, never mind callbacks and offers. That said, I doubt you'd be in a better position at any of the other schools you listed. We participate in a Chicago walk around program with Iowa (among other schools), and someone posted in the thread for that program this year who was top 10% at Iowa with no screeners in Chicago from that program.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Random question: Is smoking permitted on campus?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:36 pm

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 am

I <3 WUSTL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:24 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I <3 WUSTL
5:37 AM. The fuck did I miss last night?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:I <3 WUSTL
5:37 AM. The fuck did I miss last night?
I don't sleep much.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Gregjames wrote:How is WUSTUL for Chicago Jobs?
WUSTUL or DePaul in Chicago??
What about Iowa and Emory in your opinion?
Not gonna lie...WUSTL is really bad for Chicago placement. But DePaul is terrible as well. If you want to place in Chicago, you basically have to go to Northwestern or better.

Iowa and Emory to get to Chicago these days would be a gigantic mistake, too.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Are we in the same section both semesters?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:59 pm

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:38 pm

sublime wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Are we in the same section both semesters?
Yup.
Thank you! Related question: Will LP & LRM meet at the same times, or will be assigned a new class period? I only ask, because the spring schedule is up, but those classes aren't on it yet. That suggests to me that their meeting times may change - though I hope not, because, as it stands now, I'll only have one class on Mondays and no classes on Fridays, which would be amazing.

Clearly I have nothing better to do right now than ponder what the spring semester will be like. /sarcasm

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
sublime wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Are we in the same section both semesters?
Yup.
Thank you! Related question: Will LP & LRM meet at the same times, or will be assigned a new class period? I only ask, because the spring schedule is up, but those classes aren't on it yet. That suggests to me that their meeting times may change - though I hope not, because, as it stands now, I'll only have one class on Mondays and no classes on Fridays, which would be amazing.

Clearly I have nothing better to do right now than ponder what the spring semester will be like. /sarcasm
I would assume that the meeting times are subject to change.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:38 am

Anyone have a Bluebook they would be willing to part with for cheap? I realize they don't cost much to begin with, but hey, I'm cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone have a Bluebook they would be willing to part with for cheap? I realize they don't cost much to begin with, but hey, I'm cheap.
I doubt anyone is going to sell you their bluebook. That's kind of a required permanent reference guide.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone have a Bluebook they would be willing to part with for cheap? I realize they don't cost much to begin with, but hey, I'm cheap.
I doubt anyone is going to sell you their bluebook. That's kind of a required permanent reference guide.
Ah I see. Didn't realize that.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ah I see. Didn't realize that.
I realize that you can get a used copy for pretty cheap, but I recommend buying a 3-year subscription for $50 (assuming you're a 1L). Especially if you do a journal, having the search functionality is pretty clutch. Then you can use your employer's BB when you graduate (assuming you need one).

salim123

New

Post by salim123 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Last edited by salim123 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”