WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NotSublime

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by NotSublime » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:17 pm

ek5dn wrote:just to make sure - for OCI bidding, there's no way to also send a CL, right? symplicity just forwards your resume + transcript?

With firms that ask for a CL, there should be a spot to upload them on their page on symplicity.

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:30 pm

NotSublime wrote:
ek5dn wrote:just to make sure - for OCI bidding, there's no way to also send a CL, right? symplicity just forwards your resume + transcript?

With firms that ask for a CL, there should be a spot to upload them on their page on symplicity.
oh yeah woops! I see it. Thanks :)

NotSublime

New

Post by NotSublime » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:40 pm

ek5dn wrote:
NotSublime wrote:

oh yeah woops! I see it. Thanks :)
np!

lososos

New

Post by lososos » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:34 pm

It's not necessary, but what you can do is make custom resumes for those firms that don't have a spot for a cover letter, by including a cover letter with your resume in the "resume" document. Idk how useful it is, but I did that for all the firms I applied to last year and got interviews with some that hadn't specifically requested cover letters. But, again, I doubt it's necessary

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:57 am

lososos wrote:
It's not necessary, but what you can do is make custom resumes for those firms that don't have a spot for a cover letter, by including a cover letter with your resume in the "resume" document. Idk how useful it is, but I did that for all the firms I applied to last year and got interviews with some that hadn't specifically requested cover letters. But, again, I doubt it's necessary
I honestly wouldn't do this. If firms wanted cover letters they'd ask. For most firms it's just going to be a waste of time and effort, but for some firms it might be seen as an inability to follow instructions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:45 am

hoos89 wrote:
lososos wrote:
I honestly wouldn't do this. If firms wanted cover letters they'd ask. For most firms it's just going to be a waste of time and effort, but for some firms it might be seen as an inability to follow instructions.
Oh, this is interesting - didn't consider the downside to doing this. I didn't do this for the EIW firms, but was thinking about it for some off-campus program firms. Now I'm not sure I should...

Did anyone else take the time to write cover letters for firms that didn't ask for them? Did it backfire?

ETA: It's just that if I were direct sending my applications to these participating firms, I would send them a cover letter

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:50 am

One more question! - If a firm says that it's required you be in a certain % (i.e., top 10%) and I am outside that requirement, is it a waste of time to bid for that firm? Do they make exceptions to their requirements?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:16 am

ek5dn wrote:One more question! - If a firm says that it's required you be in a certain % (i.e., top 10%) and I am outside that requirement, is it a waste of time to bid for that firm? Do they make exceptions to their requirements?
No, bid every firm.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

How long should we expect to wait before pre-select is announced? Bids were due last night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am

Last year, July 20-21 was EIW preselect release. The off campus programs come in much earlier.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

ek5dn wrote:One more question! - If a firm says that it's required you be in a certain % (i.e., top 10%) and I am outside that requirement, is it a waste of time to bid for that firm? Do they make exceptions to their requirements?
As wt said, bid every firm, or at least every firm you would accept if it was your only offer.

I was below the cutoff of the firm I am going to during oci.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 am

ek5dn wrote:
Oh, this is interesting - didn't consider the downside to doing this. I didn't do this for the EIW firms, but was thinking about it for some off-campus program firms. Now I'm not sure I should...

Did anyone else take the time to write cover letters for firms that didn't ask for them? Did it backfire?

ETA: It's just that if I were direct sending my applications to these participating firms, I would send them a cover letter
True you would send it by default if you were sending a mass- mail, but 1) I generally wouldn't recommend sending mass mail to OCI participating offices if and until you don't get a screener (and in any case it's really not the same thing to attach one to a mass-mail as it is to slip one into the resume slot of an OCI bid), and 2) by not requesting cover letters at OCI they are specifically requesting that you not send a cover letter with your bid. Sending a cover letter by attaching it to your resume has a lot of potential to come off poorly in that situation as some combination of trying to get an unfair advantage and wilfully failing to follow instructions. Which might be a reasonable risk to take...if it had much potential to pay off. But really a firm that didn't request a cover letter probably either won't read it or won't care about its contents. And let's not forget the opportunity cost: you'd be better off spending that time in other ways.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm

hoos89 wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

True you would send it by default if you were sending a mass- mail, but 1) I generally wouldn't recommend sending mass mail to OCI participating offices if and until you don't get a screener (and in any case it's really not the same thing to attach one to a mass-mail as it is to slip one into the resume slot of an OCI bid), and 2) by not requesting cover letters at OCI they are specifically requesting that you not send a cover letter with your bid. Sending a cover letter by attaching it to your resume has a lot of potential to come off poorly in that situation as some combination of trying to get an unfair advantage and wilfully failing to follow instructions. Which might be a reasonable risk to take...if it had much potential to pay off. But really a firm that didn't request a cover letter probably either won't read it or won't care about its contents. And let's not forget the opportunity cost: you'd be better off spending that time in other ways.

Some of the smaller/midsize firms have a spot for cover letter but it isn't required. In those cases I always wrote one if I had time. Ime (got a few screeners at places like that) they seemed to be impressed with the specific interest in their firm. Also, it takes two seconds to slightly doctor a boiler-plate CL, so I found it was worth it. But I agree with above. I definitely would not attach a cover letter in a pdf with a resume for firms that specifically do not want them. As hoos said, I would save the majority of your CL focus to mass mailing (non-OCI and non-offcampus) firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AntsInMyEyesJohnson

New

Post by AntsInMyEyesJohnson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Ref wrote:
JCougar wrote:
AntsInMyEyesJohnson wrote:It's bittersweet to see that this thread is back on topic, but since it is: what sorts jobs are Wash U grads getting in the St. Louis area? There's a decent amount of info on how Wash U does with Stl Biglaw, but what about outside of that?

Thanks!
Lots of people in my class are trying to cobble together 2-3 part-time jobs, doing doc review, or trying to start their own firms. A few have insurance defense jobs making $45K/year with 70 hour workweeks. Some managed to snag public defender/state DA jobs in the rural areas. Many have simply given up and gone back to school for something else, or gotten a job outside of law.

Local firms really don't like hiring people unless you grew up and went to high school here, especially kids from WUSTL, because your average WUSTL grad wants to get the hell out of St. Louis as fast as he or she can.

A lot of people are really desperate. I try and not let it get to me too much anymore. For the first two years after graduation, I regularly contemplated suicide due to the hopelessness of my situation, and the lack of help anyone from WUSTL or elsewhere could give me. I spend my first year in Illinois, so I was eligible for Medicaid there, so at least I had healthcare, but when I moved back here, Missouri's one of those states where the legislature refused to expand Medicaid under Obamacare, so if you have no kids, you're not eligible for Medicaid no matter how poor you were. I really needed to see a therapist, but I didn't have access to one. I used to feel personally responsible for my school debt (I grew up with these values--you're responsible for paying back your debts). I used to get really down on myself because I was a failure.

Now, I no longer give any fucks. The joke's on "them" (i.e. the Federal government for allowing the scam of law school to just continue without trying to stop it; and maybe eventually WUSTL when in 10 years people take a look at the accounting of these student loans and they realize that hardly anybody's going to pay this back, and somebody form the DOE starts screaming at them asking WTF they're doing--of course, this goes for most law schools). I just keep on chipping away at my 25-year repayment plan, making $0 payments month after month. Eventually, I'll be 60 years old and free of this burden, but I won't have a house or a family, cause I'll never be able to afford one. But then again, between now and then, Wall Street will probably again scam most of the American public out of the equity in their houses anyway, and shoveling snow and mowing the lawn sucks. It would be nice to have a family, though, eventually. But I doubt that will ever happen anymore.
While a valuable reminder to people contemplating law school at all (let alone just WUSTL) to be smart before taking out significant debt, I feel compelled to note for any potential lurkers looking at WUSTL that this is very far from what is the norm for even the bottom of the class. Nothing against you, JCougar, because I think you graduated closer to the Great Recession, but I'm not aware of very many, if any, people from the last few years' graduating classes in this sort of situation. Even people towards the bottom of the class have found meaningful work, though perhaps less 'prestigious' or high-paying.

Thanks, both of you. It seems to me that the latter response is more aligned with what I've heard from recent WashU grads.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 pm

For off campus employers in multiple cities (like Cadwalader, Kirland, etc), what was the consensus? Is it ok to apply for both cities or just pick one, assuming all are major markets?

And what about firms that are on oci and multiple of the off campus programs, just apply to them on all platforms?
Last edited by valen on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:43 pm

Also are there any employers that just plain won't look at wash u students, like maybe skadden? Anyone we just shouldn't bother with?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 pm

valen wrote:Also are there any employers that just plain won't look at wash u students, like maybe skadden? Anyone we just shouldn't bother with?

Ummm, a grad a few years ago went to Wachtell, so theres prob *some* chance just about anywhere.

Although honestly, it probably will take less time to just mail anybody than to try to figure out who won't hire you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:58 pm

valen wrote:For off campus employers in multiple cities (like Cadwalader, Kirland, etc), what was the consensus? Is it ok to apply for both cities or just pick one, assuming all are major markets?

And what about firms that are on oci and multiple of the off campus programs, just apply to them on all platforms?
For off-campus/OCI stuff just apply to all of them. Exception: for STL firms I'd suggest applying solely to the STL office, and I'd avoid indicating an interest in any other city at any point during the process.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks much

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:20 pm

sublime wrote:
valen wrote:Also are there any employers that just plain won't look at wash u students, like maybe skadden? Anyone we just shouldn't bother with?

Ummm, a grad a few years ago went to Wachtell, so theres prob *some* chance just about anywhere.

Although honestly, it probably will take less time to just mail anybody than to try to figure out who won't hire you.
But after a clerkship right? OP, Wachtel is probably not gonna happen. Anyone else, ok.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 pm

WheatThins wrote:
sublime wrote:

But after a clerkship right? OP, Wachtel is probably not gonna happen. Anyone else, ok.

yea, Delaware Chancery it looks like and graduated summa. I'll post her profile since she adjuncts a weekend class:

http://www.wlrk.com/Amanda-L-Stein/

My point was mainly to just apply everywhere, not that it has a decent likelihood of happening (unless you are top 5%), maybe not Wachtell, but like everywhere else. WashU alone, for the vast majority of jobs, won't dq you even if it may be tougher.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:23 am

sublime wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
sublime wrote:

yea, Delaware Chancery it looks like and graduated summa. I'll post her profile since she adjuncts a weekend class:

My point was mainly to just apply everywhere, not that it has a decent likelihood of happening (unless you are top 5%), maybe not Wachtell, but like everywhere else. WashU alone, for the vast majority of jobs, won't dq you even if it may be tougher.

Annecdottaly but I've heard Wachtel will interview the top 2 or 3 people in the class.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

New

Post by xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 am

chingwoo wrote:
sublime wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
sublime wrote:

Annecdottaly but I've heard Wachtel will interview the top 2 or 3 people in the class.
Yeah and I'm the queen of England. How bout you get out of the thread with that bullshit you fucking liar.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am

Banned.

After FAR more warnings than you ever deserved.

PresidentPepe

New

Post by PresidentPepe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a rising 2L. I have been very anxious about OCI's and off campus interviews and I just had a few questions.

How do you cope with severe anxiety before an interview? And what if you become visibly sweaty during interviews?

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”