WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LET'S GET IT

Silver

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Joscellin wrote:
WUST1L wrote:So like, how does one study for LRM?
Memorize the study guide stuff.
+1

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Ask Kloempken. If you've lost his email, just leave your phone in the library and you'll get one from him 15 minutes later.

Seriously though, Kloempken is awesome and if you ask him, he'll tell you whatever you need to know.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WUST1L

New

Post by WUST1L » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:16 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Memorize the study guide stuff.
+1
My professor didn't give me one. If someone still has theirs and is willing to share, please PM me!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:46 pm

In y'alls experience, is the Semester in Practice program useful for obtaining employment outside of the Mid West? Or not so much?

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:In y'alls experience, is the Semester in Practice program useful for obtaining employment outside of the Mid West? Or not so much?
For biglaw, its probably unlikely since your semester in practice falls after 2L biglaw hiring unless you do an externship your 1L summer (I'm not entirely sure this is possible.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JordanLaw15

New

Post by JordanLaw15 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Can a student or recent grad tell me what their ballpark annual expenses are other than tuition?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:36 pm

JordanLaw15 wrote:Can a student or recent grad tell me what their ballpark annual expenses are other than tuition?
Annually, including summers:
12-14k if you're completely cheap about stuff (plus roommate (s) and no car).
19-22k if you live large.
In between, 15-17k, is most common.

All new books, No roommates, car, and summers elsewhere without subletting (double rent) are the only things (besides drugs, alcohol, and online shopping :wink: ) that really drive things up. STL has a low COL.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:00 pm

You can easily hit <$700 rent in a very nice apartment (lots of bells and whistles) with a roommate. I'm talkin in-unit washer/dryer, etc. There are places like this within biking/walking distance.

It goes even lower if you're willing to have a longer commute, but then you'd need a car.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

JordanLaw15 wrote:Can a student or recent grad tell me what their ballpark annual expenses are other than tuition?
I probably spend about $400/yr or so at the ballpark but I go to a ton of games

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm

I would love some input from current WashU students and graduates on my decision. I am choosing between here and NU - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=276232

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:31 pm

What can I expect during orientation? How can (or should) I prepare this summer?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:What can I expect during orientation? How can (or should) I prepare this summer?
Don't prepare this summer. If you really want to do something, read getting to maybe. Anything substantive is likely to just confuse you.

Orientation is mostly a waste of time.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm

Does anyone have a Pratzel ethics outline you'd be willing to share?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Reid-Bailey

New

Post by Reid-Bailey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 am

sublime wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:What can I expect during orientation? How can (or should) I prepare this summer?
Don't prepare this summer. If you really want to do something, read getting to maybe. Anything substantive is likely to just confuse you.

Great, I am reading that now.

What do you do during orientation? When do I get my class schedule? How expensive are books?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:
sublime wrote:

Great, I am reading that now.

What do you do during orientation? When do I get my class schedule? How expensive are books?
I think you get your schedule before orientation in august. 1L books will probably be like 150ish each, and can obviously be higher or lower, and in orientation you mostly get talked to in a big room about professionalism, ethics, and other really exciting things.

I would really try to relax the next few months though.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Spend the summer preparing by developing good habits. Go to the gym or exercise regularly, and develop a system for staying organized. Get used to using a planner. Work on things like that if you must. Get yourself on a healthy diet and regular sleep schedule. Play video games and travel, if you can afford to. Read books; you won't be reading anything non-law probably in law school.

If you stay organized and focus, you'll still have plenty of free time in law school, but if you're like me and spend 1/2 of "study time" on facebook and reddit, then maybe not so much.

GarbageGOAT

New

Post by GarbageGOAT » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Anyone from Portland or know anyone from Portland who went to WUSTL and made it back home?

Basically I have narrowed down my options to WUSTL or don't go to law school, since I am a splitter so my other options are all either way more expensive, a much worse school, or a little of both.

I would be interested in DC/NYC/Portland, would be interested in clerkships, government work, any kind political work in DC (to whatever extent that exists, don't know much about this field), or biglaw/midlaw/boutique stuff. Maybe other stuff would appeal to me once I'm there, but currently these are the types of jobs I am interested in. I know DC is a long shot but just putting it on the list anyway. I make about 70k now and that's on hourly (meaning I don't work 60 hours a week and am not on call), so not interested in working as a lawyer for 40k-50k or less unless it was in a field that appealed to me and had the potential to lead to a lucrative or interesting career down the line. My current job sucks in a lot of ways and I don't want to make a career out of it though, so not just a straight pay calculation.

I'm concerned that if Portland is tough to get and I have no ties to other markets I am going to have limited options.

I'm getting 150k from WUSTL so wouldn't be life ruining if I went to law school and ended up not being a lawyer, and I definitely think I would enjoy law school, but probably a waste of a few years ultimately if I end up not getting a job that is better than my current one, plus the debt from living expenses is certainly non-negligable.

So any experiences with how Portland people do and/or any thoughts on my odds of an outcome that would be worth it for me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

GarbageGOAT wrote:Anyone from Portland or know anyone from Portland who went to WUSTL and made it back home?

Basically I have narrowed down my options to WUSTL or don't go to law school, since I am a splitter so my other options are all either way more expensive, a much worse school, or a little of both.

I would be interested in DC/NYC/Portland, would be interested in clerkships, government work, any kind political work in DC (to whatever extent that exists, don't know much about this field), or biglaw/midlaw/boutique stuff. Maybe other stuff would appeal to me once I'm there, but currently these are the types of jobs I am interested in. I know DC is a long shot but just putting it on the list anyway. I make about 70k now and that's on hourly (meaning I don't work 60 hours a week and am not on call), so not interested in working as a lawyer for 40k-50k or less unless it was in a field that appealed to me and had the potential to lead to a lucrative or interesting career down the line. My current job sucks in a lot of ways and I don't want to make a career out of it though, so not just a straight pay calculation.

I'm concerned that if Portland is tough to get and I have no ties to other markets I am going to have limited options.

I'm getting 150k from WUSTL so wouldn't be life ruining if I went to law school and ended up not being a lawyer, and I definitely think I would enjoy law school, but probably a waste of a few years ultimately if I end up not getting a job that is better than my current one, plus the debt from living expenses is certainly non-negligable.

So any experiences with how Portland people do and/or any thoughts on my odds of an outcome that would be worth it for me?
I know of two people going to Portland Oregon.

GarbageGOAT

New

Post by GarbageGOAT » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

chingwoo wrote: I know of two people going to Portland Oregon.
Thanks, that's good to know it is possible. Any idea what kind of jobs they got in Portland, what their grades are like, how hard it was for them to get out here? You can PM if you prefer.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

I'm assuming the cost of books and supplies WUSTL lists on their COA is an overestimate. What would be a more accurate estimate of how much you will spend on "Books/supplies" every year?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:I'm assuming the cost of books and supplies WUSTL lists on their COA is an overestimate. What would be a more accurate estimate of how much you will spend on "Books/supplies" every year?
If you get all new books and buy a few supplements, you honestly could be looking at close to $2000 a year. Of course, if you rent or buy used and don't buy supplements, you could probably get it closer to $1000 a year. Assume a new book is $200-300 and a used is $100-150.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm

RareExports wrote:
JD_Kingfish wrote:I'm assuming the cost of books and supplies WUSTL lists on their COA is an overestimate. What would be a more accurate estimate of how much you will spend on "Books/supplies" every year?
If you get all new books and buy a few supplements, you honestly could be looking at close to $2000 a year. Of course, if you rent or buy used and don't buy supplements, you could probably get it closer to $1000 a year. Assume a new book is $200-300 and a used is $100-150.
Thank you!

finaciardi

New

Post by finaciardi » Thu May 04, 2017 12:02 am

Hi! Would anyone mind speaking to this circled area: http://imgur.com/a/nfT2n
In case the image doesn't load, it's the area close to the Skinker metro stop, i.e. streets of Pershing, Waterman, McPherson, etc closer to N. Skinker Blvd than Debaliviere. Found a place I like here and thinking about taking it because being within walking distance to school is a priority, but the building doesn't have gated/controlled access and I'm willing to forgo the priority if the area isn't safe.

Is it any safer than the area block or two north from Delmar (Interdrive, Eastgate, etc) where the North Campus is? Thank you!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 04, 2017 12:14 am

finaciardi wrote:Hi! Would anyone mind speaking to this circled area: http://imgur.com/a/nfT2n
In case the image doesn't load, it's the area close to the Skinker metro stop, i.e. streets of Pershing, Waterman, McPherson, etc closer to N. Skinker Blvd than Debaliviere. Found a place I like here and thinking about taking it because being within walking distance to school is a priority, but the building doesn't have gated/controlled access and I'm willing to forgo the priority if the area isn't safe.

Is it any safer than the area block or two north from Delmar (Interdrive, Eastgate, etc) where the North Campus is? Thank you!
That's a pretty safe area (maybe even very safe), but what do you mean the building doesn't have controlled access?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 04, 2017 12:20 am

That area seems fine but is probably a mile plus walk to the law school which is on the opposite side of campus. You can definitely do it but it may be unpleasant.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”