WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:50 pm

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Not up to date on my stereotypes. What does being (gay) have to do with fiscally responsible lighting policies?

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:53 pm

And... we have a bigot callout

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:53 pm

I have no idea why it was singled out

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Reply-alling there was incredibly dumb, but I kind of feel bad for her.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 pm

Me:

"Another student protest going nowhere" :roll:

:shock:

:?:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:16 pm

sublime wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Reply-alling there was incredibly dumb, but I kind of feel bad for her.

I almost did, then I looked at her LinkedIn, and now I don't any more.
I still feel kind of bad for her. Dumb mistake, and without the (gay) it wouldn't have even been that bad because the 1L totally deserved some form of call-out for CC'ing everyone on that e-mail. And to think, we almost went a full year without having an absurd exchange on the listserv (http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/law-prof ... tto-award/).

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 pm

How do you guys feel bad for her? The kid deserved to be made fun of for the original e-mail, but that's what she gets for having that mindset. The whole thing: 180.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:25 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:10 pm

A 3L friend of mine forwarded me the exchange. Fuck that chick.

What was her walk back?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

"Hello everyone,

I deeply apologize for sending my previous email. I mean to send it to a friend who is not associated with the law school in any way and accidentally hit the wrong button. I should not have been commenting on it in the first place, and I am extremely ashamed of my previous remarks. Those who know me know that it is extremely out of character for me to make such a derogatory remark. I have already reached out to [student] personally to apologize. If anyone else would like to reach out to me I would be happy to discuss my mistake.

Enjoy your weekends,

[ignance]"

Linked In has since been deleted or moved. I'd feel bad, but you compound stupid (hit reply all with bigotry in your message) than I'm sorry, that's on you.

And it'll be on ATL soon enough. Wash U needs to step up its fucking game. Rankings are out in a few weeks.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:A 3L friend of mine forwarded me the exchange. Fuck that chick.

What was her walk back?
I think he meant the apology she sent. And yeah I have a hard time sypathizing with a bigot. Although the 1L kid is super obnoxious. He was being disrespectful to profs. at orientation.

Very entertaining though.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:15 pm

sublime wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:How do you guys feel bad for her? The kid deserved to be made fun of for the original e-mail, but that's what she gets for having that mindset. The whole thing: 180.

I may feel bad for her if it affects her employment. Probably not if it is just embarrassment.
If she was at a job right now and sent that out to the firm or whatever, she would be out of a job in seconds. I have no problem with this affecting her employment.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
sublime wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:How do you guys feel bad for her? The kid deserved to be made fun of for the original e-mail, but that's what she gets for having that mindset. The whole thing: 180.

I may feel bad for her if it affects her employment. Probably not if it is just embarrassment.
If she was at a job right now and sent that out to the firm or whatever, she would be out of a job in seconds. I have no problem with this affecting her employment.
Have you seriously never said something that if taken out of context and broadcast to the whole school would embarrass the shit out of you? Maybe she has it coming for actual homophobia, but crucifying someone solely over that particular sentence seems a bit much.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:22 am

How does someone even confuse the reply all and forward buttons? I get accidentally replying all when you mean to just reply (though even that is stupid) but I just don't even see how this is possible.

Also, how was her email taken out of context?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:05 am

Yea I don't see how we're taking the email out of context. And sure, we've all said awful things, but we didn't email them to the (gay) dean of the law school. When you fuck up, there are consequences.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 am

umm, someone mind posting the emails, or do I have to wait until it's posted on above the law?

Also, re: Duke people...there's always a pretty decent sized Duke contingent thanks to Dean Wilson (usually top 3), so if you really need to hang out with other Duke alums, it's there. I didn't, but that's b/c I was pretty anti-social until my 3l year.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:26 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Yea I don't see how we're taking the email out of context. And sure, we've all said awful things, but we didn't email them to the (gay) dean of the law school.
This post, for instance, sounds vaguely homophobic. I get that there are consequences when you embarrass the shit out of yourself publicly, but I feel like these consequences can be completely out of proportion to what actually happened. (displayed some minimal level of homophobia or bias in what was intended to be a private conversation)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:37 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Yea I don't see how we're taking the email out of context. And sure, we've all said awful things, but we didn't email them to the (gay) dean of the law school.
This post, for instance, sounds vaguely homophobic. I get that there are consequences when you embarrass the shit out of yourself publicly, but I feel like these consequences can be completely out of proportion to what actually happened. (displayed some minimal level of homophobia or bias in what was intended to be a private conversation)
I get what you are saying, but it's almost like you are saying it's okay to be homophobic/racist/sexist/whatever as long as you manage to keep it under wraps. I, and I'm assuming a lot of other people, don't want to be associated with anyone who harbors these types of beliefs. The whole "well sure she said something homophobic, but it was supposed to be private" argument, I have to say I don't get. To me that makes it worse. If you want to avoid the potential embarrassment of a private homophobic statement being made public; don't be a homophobe. It's 2015. The fact that some people disagree is surprising to me.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:07 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I get what you are saying, but it's almost like you are saying it's okay to be homophobic/racist/sexist/whatever as long as you manage to keep it under wraps. I, and I'm assuming a lot of other people, don't want to be associated with anyone who harbors these types of beliefs. The whole "well sure she said something homophobic, but it was supposed to be private" argument, I have to say I don't get. To me that makes it worse. If you want to avoid the potential embarrassment of a private homophobic statement being made public; don't be a homophobe. It's 2015. The fact that some people disagree is surprising to me.
I'm sure everyone says stuff privately to their friends that they wouldn't say in a public forum (whether the sentiments are homophobic or something else). Not that this girl should be shielded simply because the email was meant to be private or anything...but i did have a "oh shit that sucksssss" type of reaction when i saw. Either way it'll blow over soon.
LET'S GET IT wrote:It's 2015. The fact that some people disagree is surprising to me.
You go to school in Missouri and this surprises you? lol it's only 2015.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:16 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I don't think that calling someone gay in what was supposed to be a private conversation automatically makes her a homophobe, nor do I think she actually is a homophobe. It was really dumb of her to hit reply all, and the fact that she had something in there that would (and did) look really bad if sent to hundreds of people made it much worse, but that mistake doesn't make her a shitty person who deserves to have severe negative consequences rained down upon her.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeah I mean I don't think she's a homophobe or anything, but I mean in the real world when you fuck up like this, things happen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”