WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chuckbass

Platinum

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 pm

11:11 wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:The only problem for the medians is that if the class shrinks (obviously what should happen) then they may have trouble with anything higher than a 166. They accepted a lot of people last year below both medians and paid them to defer, so they started the cycle out pretty behind.
I'm not sure that "a lot" is an accurate qualification. I've heard like 5-10 people. And they subsequently proceeded to admit people off the waitlist who were below median.

I was under the impression that Wash U was asking people who would not affect median/25/75 to defer as a kind of insurance against a more difficult cycle this year, and probably so that they could admit people off the waitlist to pay sticker.
They doubled people's scholarships, and I know of a handful that took the deal. Everyone given the deal was below both medians, so I think you don't know what you're talking about. WUSTL thought they weren't going to hold the 166 last year and accepted to many people too early with sub median numbers, saw that they actually could hold the median, and scrambled.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I definitely think they are at least making a run at trying to get back to a 167 median. There are several people in the waiting thread with 166 and a low GPA that have been waiting for months and have not been admitted. Last year, those were auto admits for all intents and purposes.

11:11

New

Post by 11:11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:39 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:The only problem for the medians is that if the class shrinks (obviously what should happen) then they may have trouble with anything higher than a 166. They accepted a lot of people last year below both medians and paid them to defer, so they started the cycle out pretty behind.
I'm not sure that "a lot" is an accurate qualification. I've heard like 5-10 people. And they subsequently proceeded to admit people off the waitlist who were below median.

I was under the impression that Wash U was asking people who would not affect median/25/75 to defer as a kind of insurance against a more difficult cycle this year, and probably so that they could admit people off the waitlist to pay sticker.
And I know people who were offered the deal, and didn’t take it, who have better numbers than people who were admitted off the waitlist during the last couple of weeks before orientation. I don’t know anyone above both medians who was offered the deal, but that may be because it would have been difficult to incentivize them if they already had a good scholarship.

If they were scrambling to raise medians, then why would they replace low scores with even lower scores? I’ve heard the rumor that you’re quoting (which I think you probably started), but I’ve seen nothing other than hearsay and speculation to back it up.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:43 pm

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:49 pm

And I know people who were offered the deal, and didn’t take it, who have better numbers than people who were admitted off the waitlist during the last couple of weeks before orientation. I don’t know anyone above both medians who was offered the deal, but that may be because it would have been difficult to incentivize them if they already had a good scholarship.

If they were scrambling to raise medians, then why would they replace low scores with even lower scores? I’ve heard the rumor that you’re quoting (which I think you probably started), but I’ve seen nothing other than hearsay and speculation to back it up.
Can confirm that not only below median people were offered deal. Source: I was above LSAT median and it was offered to me. My GPA was terrible, though. My theory was that they offered it to people with solid, but not close to full ride $$ so they could bring in more people to pay sticker. Otherwise, like someone said, why beg someone to defer because they were supposedly so concerned about class size, all the while admitting people off the waitlist? Anecdotally, I know a 1L who was admitted off the waitlist the week of orientation and was comfortably below both medians.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:57 pm

La dee doo dah hooray spring break amirite

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote: Can confirm that not only below median people were offered deal. Source: I was above LSAT median and it was offered to me. My GPA was terrible, though. My theory was that they offered it to people with solid, but not close to full ride $$ so they could bring in more people to pay sticker. Otherwise, like someone said, why beg someone to defer because they were supposedly so concerned about class size, all the while admitting people off the waitlist? Anecdotally, I know a 1L who was admitted off the waitlist the week of orientation and was comfortably below both medians.
I think this is more likely.

Those extra people paying sticker will now subsidize the increased scholarships this year that they need to gun for a 167. Probably 167 was the goal ever since last year when they realized they could admit a class large enough to subsidize a future median bump. And as far as the people offered more money to defer, those were people who already got scholarships but were not going to help maintain the median for c/o 2017.

Iagreetotheseterms

New

Post by Iagreetotheseterms » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 pm

What courses do 1Ls take Fall and Spring semester? Divided by semester. I saw the list on the website already.
Thanks.

Glad to be joining you guys soon. Anxiously waiting for my shirt.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:What courses do 1Ls take Fall and Spring semester? Divided by semester. I saw the list on the website already.
Thanks.

Glad to be joining you guys soon. Anxiously waiting for my shirt.
I mean that would depend on what section you get placed in and how the school decides to divvy up the classes among your section. I had Contracts, Property, and Torts in the Fall, and now have Civ Pro, Crim, and Con Law. People in different sections have varying classes though, so don't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi, thank you for taking questions. Do you know of any international students in your class? If so how do they fare in terms of finding jobs and etc?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:34 pm

canon1845 wrote:Hi, thank you for taking questions. Do you know of any international students in your class? If so how do they fare in terms of finding jobs and etc?
There are lots of international students. Mostly from Asia, but I've also met people from Africa and Europe as well. Some are doing a LLM and some are doing a standard JD.

For jobs, are you talking about those staying in the states after school or going abroad? From what I've heard (which is limited) LLM's returning to their home country seem to do really well job wise. Can't really speak to international students getting their JD and staying in the US. I would guess they do about the same as any student, maybe a slight advantage for being bilingual, particularly depending on what other languages they can speak, but good grades would still be important.

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
canon1845 wrote:Hi, thank you for taking questions. Do you know of any international students in your class? If so how do they fare in terms of finding jobs and etc?
There are lots of international students. Mostly from Asia, but I've also met people from Africa and Europe as well. Some are doing a LLM and some are doing a standard JD.

For jobs, are you talking about those staying in the states after school or going abroad? From what I've heard (which is limited) LLM's returning to their home country seem to do really well job wise. Can't really speak to international students getting their JD and staying in the US. I would guess they do about the same as any student, maybe a slight advantage for being bilingual, particularly depending on what other languages they can speak, but good grades would still be important.
Many thanks for the reply. I was referring to the internationals getting their JDs. I cant help but stress the difficulties international applicants have in gathering information about admission/employment... so your reply is greatly appreciated!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm

canon1845 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Many thanks for the reply. I was referring to the internationals getting their JDs. I cant help but stress the difficulties international applicants have in gathering information about admission/employment... so your reply is greatly appreciated!
If anything I'd be more worried getting a JD as an international at any school, not just WUSTL. From my limited knowledge, the only places that can afford to hire internationals generally are biglaw firms, so it's a big gamble.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
canon1845 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
canon1845 wrote:Many thanks for the reply. I was referring to the internationals getting their JDs. I cant help but stress the difficulties international applicants have in gathering information about admission/employment... so your reply is greatly appreciated!
If anything I'd be more worried getting a JD as an international at any school, not just WUSTL. From my limited knowledge, the only places that can afford to hire internationals generally are biglaw firms, so it's a big gamble.
You are right.
But depending on what language you speak and where you are from, I have heard that there are some employment prospects other than biglaw for internationals. For example, a JD from a "good" law school in the States will make you are competitive for firm jobs in the UK, Aussie and NZ. This will obviously depend on the individual and their creditials/achievements before and during law school though.

The credited advice for any international applicant will be for them to have some years of work experience before law school to have a better chance during OCI and to go to a school which places well into biglaw for obvious reasons (as you have pointed out).

I just wanted to know how international JDs at WUSTL fared and how tough it was for them to find a job in the US after graduation, as WUSTL is one of the schools I am considering.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 pm

I mean from my anecdotal evidence I have a friend at UVA that said most of the internationals there struck out and they have much stronger placement so I wouldn't really expect much from here if you take that with a grain of salt.

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 am

scottidsntknow wrote:I mean from my anecdotal evidence I have a friend at UVA that said most of the internationals there struck out and they have much stronger placement so I wouldn't really expect much from here if you take that with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the evidence man, much appreciated.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Need some help, elders. Statement of interest for my clinic app. What am I supposed to write? Completely at a loss here.

Edit: Also, what are the odds of getting your first or second choice clinic as a 2L?
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:36 pm

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Thu May 07, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennep311

New

Post by bennep311 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Also an international student admitted to WUSTL. Happy about the full scholarship. But very worried about job prospect after graduation. The only option for most international students is biglaw tbh.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:48 am

Has anyone had Tuch for SecReg?
I'm looking for old outlines with no luck. If you do have one, would you consider uploading it on outlinedepot.com?
Pretty please? :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:29 pm

PourMeTea wrote:does anyone who had lapierre have words of wisdom for his exam? i'm preparing form paragraphs and am overwhelmed and structurally confused by the sheer amount of cases he continuously alludes to
I'd also really appreciate advice for LaPierre's Con Law exam. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the material, but his PT gives me anxiety attacks.

Also, if anyone who did well in LaPierre's class has an outline they'd be willing to share, I will give you my first-born be eternally grateful. PAD doesn't have any outlines for LaPierre, and not having a solid outline to compare mine against is stressing me out.
Last edited by theycallmefoes on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Any tips for Kim's Civ Pro exam? I don't find the material particularly difficult, but I'm slightly worried about not having an outline - we're only permitted one page of notes (plus the FRCP book).

Also, for those of you who had Osgood, is there any correlation between the grade you received on the paper and your grade on the final?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:17 pm

How do students fare with jobs in Chicago? Are they difficult to attain or can students with ties to the area crack that market easily enough? WUSTL worries me because all of my ties are back in Chicago and if I strike out there I'd be curious where I'd end up.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm not sure there's any market that can be cracked "easily enough" from WUSTL, but Chicago is tough from just about anywhere. It's a tight market with 2 T14 schools already there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”