WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Unoriginalist

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 3L (and others) Taking Questions

Post by Unoriginalist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Quick Q: What's the area around WUSTL's Danforth campus like? Would it be more suburban, urban, or combination therein? I'm not overly familiar with the area, and any context is appreciated!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Pretty suburban with some urban activity on three sides of it. To the West is a small city called Clayton, to the North is the "Loop Area" An undergrad drag with a few dozen restaurants and bars. To the East is a large park, and bordering the park on the other side is a neighborhood called the Central West End (CWE), with a lot of mid-high-rise apartments (15-25 stories) but some nice "main street" type places. The further East you go the more Urban it gets.

I'd say about 40% live in the loop area, 40% in the CWE, and the rest spread out through the city.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Pretty suburban with some urban activity on three sides of it. To the West is a small city called Clayton, to the North is the "Loop Area" An undergrad drag with a few dozen restaurants and bars. To the East is a large park, and bordering the park on the other side is a neighborhood called the Central West End (CWE), with a lot of mid-high-rise apartments (15-25 stories) but some nice "main street" type places. The further East you go the more Urban it gets.

I'd say about 40% live in the loop area, 40% in the CWE, and the rest spread out through the city.
I'd say that's pretty accurate. The area directly surrounding Danforth campus is very residential.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Pretty suburban with some urban activity on three sides of it. To the West is a small city called Clayton, to the North is the "Loop Area" An undergrad drag with a few dozen restaurants and bars. To the East is a large park, and bordering the park on the other side is a neighborhood called the Central West End (CWE), with a lot of mid-high-rise apartments (15-25 stories) but some nice "main street" type places. The further East you go the more Urban it gets.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. The area directly surrounding Danforth campus is very residential.
honestly how urban anything feels in StL depends on what you're used to. If you're from a smaller town, it feels like a city. If you're from a city, St. Louis really feels like a giant suburb. Even down-town. I mean the downtown area is all but deserted during the day.
But yes, right around Danforth Campus is certainly more suburban.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am

Thank you all for the replies! That's very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:43 am

fl0w wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Not sure if this has been asked in here yet but, how would you guys rate the overall attractiveness of your class? Do the "LS hot" rumors hold true there?
Our 2L class is damn fine, 3L is alright but we lost some talent to transferring. No idea about 1L.

I think its a decent female scene overall but I recommend treading lightly before dipping your pen in law school ink. Danger, Will Robinson.
Think the 1Ls are more like the 2Ls than the 3Ls (thankfully). Don't actually know any 1Ls, but the faces I don't recognize are typically >>>>> the ones I do around the law school.

Side note, anyone remember the meltdown that happened as a result of this topic in our CO2013 thread?
haha yes, i vaguely remember that. Was definitely a popcorn moment.
Ahhh... i still have another weekend left in Shanghai before I go back to the States. I'm actually starting to get tired of partying my face off after almost 4mo straight of it. Life's rough.
Cannot wait to study abroad

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:31 am

Another new admit here to crash this thread.. I'm thinking of coming out for the ASD in January. Thoughts on hotels? I was considering the Clayton Sheraton or Frontenac Hilton, but I've never been to St Louis so I'm not sure which area would be best to stay.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 am

soccerfreak wrote:
fl0w wrote: haha yes, i vaguely remember that. Was definitely a popcorn moment.
Ahhh... i still have another weekend left in Shanghai before I go back to the States. I'm actually starting to get tired of partying my face off after almost 4mo straight of it. Life's rough.
Cannot wait to study abroad
I'm honestly baffled as to why a MUCH larger portion of the class doesn't do it. I got 14 units, all classes were pass fail, I only had 3 days of week where I had class (4 day weekend every weekend), I studied for a grand total of 5 days the whole semester and read an estimated 50pages total. Seriously going down as one of the best experiences of my life.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 am

andy261 wrote:Another new admit here to crash this thread.. I'm thinking of coming out for the ASD in January. Thoughts on hotels? I was considering the Clayton Sheraton or Frontenac Hilton, but I've never been to St Louis so I'm not sure which area would be best to stay.
i think most people stay at the ritz carleton, the comfort inn in CWE, or Moonrise in the Loop.
Define "best" to stay. The three I named are all fairly close to metrolink stops if you won't have a car. The latter two are the closest to "fun things." I think during ASD most people go out in The Loop so Moonrise gets a lot of play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

LOL. Just saw the 1L Negotiation intersession class will be in the mornings, presumably thinking that if they can just get you there in the morning you might actually stick around for their other stuff.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

fl0w wrote:I'm honestly baffled as to why a MUCH larger portion of the class doesn't do it. I got 14 units, all classes were pass fail, I only had 3 days of week where I had class (4 day weekend every weekend), I studied for a grand total of 5 days the whole semester and read an estimated 50pages total. Seriously going down as one of the best experiences of my life.
Was it very expensive? Seems like it would be, but probably more so if you're looking at Europe than Asia.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:31 am

fl0w wrote:
andy261 wrote:Another new admit here to crash this thread.. I'm thinking of coming out for the ASD in January. Thoughts on hotels? I was considering the Clayton Sheraton or Frontenac Hilton, but I've never been to St Louis so I'm not sure which area would be best to stay.
i think most people stay at the ritz carleton, the comfort inn in CWE, or Moonrise in the Loop.
The Ritz Carlton? Maybe people with pre-LS jerbs were treating themselves to a weekend at the Ritz, but us poor college students weren't going anywhere near there. I think I stayed at the Red Roof off Hampton or something for ASW, not even joking. :lol:

I agree with Moonrise though, that's a really good one for visits. Sheraton in Clayton is also a popular one from what I hear, and the Cheshire is a cool and unique one.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:55 am

isn't it really easy to get cheap rooms at the moonrise b/c there's no other hotel in that general area, so the websites can't really "hide" its low room fares?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Absolutely mention you're there for washu. The ritz gives a huge discount. As do other hotels.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks all for the tips! I'll definitely try calling around and mentioning Wash U.

I'm renting a car so proximity to the metro isn't a factor. I figured I should scope out the neighborhoods to see where I'd consider living in case I do end up matriculating, since a second trip from CA probably won't happen. Speaking of, if anyone has recommendations for neighborhoods for a native West Coaster (Seattle/SF), it would be much appreciated..

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

andy261 wrote:Thanks all for the tips! I'll definitely try calling around and mentioning Wash U.

I'm renting a car so proximity to the metro isn't a factor. I figured I should scope out the neighborhoods to see where I'd consider living in case I do end up matriculating, since a second trip from CA probably won't happen. Speaking of, if anyone has recommendations for neighborhoods for a native West Coaster (Seattle/SF), it would be much appreciated..
About 80% of students live in either Central West End or The Loop. If you live in the loop, I wouldn't go north of Delmar. Central West End is the better of the two IMO, just because most of the things first years do start or end there.

If you want a more quiet area because of family or something then I would go with Brentwood/Clayton. It's basically a medium sized town in itself, and is a really nice area to live, but is a pretty harsh cab ride if you go out anywhere besides from The Loop or Tower Grove.

I live in Tower Grove and love it, I have a giant house with roommates for about half the price of many people in Central West End pay. I am from STL though, so I go out to areas the non-natives don't hit much in their first year, like Soulard and The Hill. I wouldn't recommend it unless you got other first years to be roommates because it can be a pain for pre-games and sharing cabs home and such.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Birdnals wrote:
andy261 wrote:Thanks all for the tips! I'll definitely try calling around and mentioning Wash U.

About 80% of students live in either Central West End or The Loop. If you live in the loop, I wouldn't go north of Delmar. Central West End is the better of the two IMO, just because most of the things first years do start or end there.

If you want a more quiet area because of family or something then I would go with Brentwood/Clayton. It's basically a medium sized town in itself, and is a really nice area to live, but is a pretty harsh cab ride if you go out anywhere besides from The Loop or Tower Grove.

I live in Tower Grove and love it, I have a giant house with roommates for about half the price of many people in Central West End pay. I am from STL though, so I go out to areas the non-natives don't hit much in their first year, like Soulard and The Hill. I wouldn't recommend it unless you got other first years to be roommates because it can be a pain for pre-games and sharing cabs home and such.
Pretty much this. I live CWE and like it a lot. I take metro to school, can walk to markets, a few dozen bars and restaurants and a movie theater in less than 10 minutes. Plus the park is a huge plus, and has anything I could ever need. Downtown is boring as hell, and the Loop gets a bit dodgy at night, especially on the weekends. If you are a woman, might not be a good place if you aren't use to cat calls and other harassment. CWE is very safe IMO, and the biggest crime seems to be car break ins, which I never seen nor heard of by people I know, but have heard stories of people who know people. However, where I used to live, every week I would see busted glass where someone smashed a window on my street, so to me it's not an issue.

Moral of the story no matter where you go, be smart, aware of your surroundings, and never be cheap and skimp out on a $15 cab ride home just because you want to save money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:26 pm

anyone else getting emails trying to get your WU login/pw/student ID? Gotten two asking me to put my info in a google docs of all things.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks dudes! Appreciate the advice.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:37 pm

notedgarfigaro wrote:anyone else getting emails trying to get your WU login/pw/student ID? Gotten two asking me to put my info in a google docs of all things.
Wow that's odd. You should let admissions know about that.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 pm

goldeneye wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:anyone else getting emails trying to get your WU login/pw/student ID? Gotten two asking me to put my info in a google docs of all things.
Wow that's odd. You should let admissions know about that.
I forwarded it to tech support, I just thought it was hilarious that the perpetrators thought anyone would fall for it- the members of student body, for the most part, are young enough not to believe a threat to suspend email account.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Gunners taking it to a new level.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 pm

BTW, I don't think I've had this much free time since the summer of 8th grade. I've always held a job, even as a freshman in high school (worked for my parents). Don't even know what to do with myself, especially coming off the blitz of finals.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:35 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Gunners taking it to a new level.
For more on this, see also the 1L fall grades waiting thread.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah, I've gotten it twice now. Annoying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”