WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MKC

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by MKC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 am

Anybody have recommendations for a tailor in St. Louis? My interview suit came in, and the style thread says don't use the JAB tailor.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Anybody have recommendations for a tailor in St. Louis? My interview suit came in, and the style thread says don't use the JAB tailor.
Romo has recommend Brentwood tailoring several times ITT. I have no experience with them myself, though.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Wed May 28, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Dolphine wrote:Too early to start asking about next semester's professors? Thoughts on Inazu(crim), Drobak(civ pro) and Flagg(con law)?
My 3L mentor said Drobak is the most demanding professor at Wustl, as in more than Greenfield. Apparently, on the first day of class he lets you know that he expects you to put in 3 hours a day prepping for his class, and tells you that he'll know if you didn't. Should be fun. Flagg is supposed to be awful.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:29 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Dolphine wrote:Too early to start asking about next semester's professors? Thoughts on Inazu(crim), Drobak(civ pro) and Flagg(con law)?
My 3L mentor said Drobak is the most demanding professor at Wustl, as in more than Greenfield. Apparently, on the first day of class he lets you know that he expects you to put in 3 hours a day prepping for his class, and tells you that he'll know if you didn't. Should be fun. Flagg is supposed to be awful.
Drobak is amazing, one of the best profs at Wash U IMO. The exam is closed book, so start drilling your shit early in that class. It was a difficult class, but mostly because the social experiment of doing Civ Pro in the first semester last year was a bit too much IMO. It took about a month for many including me to figure out what was going down in that class. The BarBri 1L lectures are hella money for that class though.

Inazu is a good professor, has some great stories, but I could care less about Crim Law, so I gave that class less concern. He's a new professor, but pretty solid for his short tenure. Plus for us, we could print out our readings, and just had a cheap treatise for the class (so I spent like $20+350 pages of printing) 4 hour exam, and he takes off for irrelevant discussion on the exam, which I believe hurt me. So watch out for that.

Never even heard of Flagg.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Any stories/tips about Kim (civ pro), Law (con law), and Legomsky (crim)?

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Dolphine wrote:Thoughts on Inazu(crim)
I love Inazu. He's got his phD in philosophy, though, so expect a lot of lofty policy discussions about social norms. I'd rather stick to cases myself.
cusenation wrote:Law (con law)
From everything I've heard, Law is a dick. One of the worst profs at WUSTL.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Well I also have Con Law with Law so I assume that will suck.

Talk to me about Levin and Osgood.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Cellar-door wrote:Well I also have Con Law with Law so I assume that will suck.

I love Levin. He's kind of a dry professor, but he's really cool. If you can, take him for Admin Law because he's a boss at that.

Osgood was one of my favorite professors until I got my grade in that class. Then I was like, I will never take a class with him again. It was a serious "wtf" moment. And I talked to several friends (some on Law Review) and they've had the same experience. Don't even study for the final because it's not worth it!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Wed May 28, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm one of the 2 or 3 people who actually liked Flagg for con law. Probably not coincidentally, I'm informally TAing for her this semester. Probably can't take questions once that actually starts, but hit me up before then.

Related note: I have a like-new copy of Chemerinsky (4th ed) for sale. Looks like it's going for about $30 on amazon--I'll give it to someone on here for $25 to avoid the hassle of shipping, if anyone is interested.

RoseVI

New

Post by RoseVI » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Dolphine wrote:What about thoughts on supplements for Drobak, Inazu and Flagg?
Chemerinsky for Flagg. You can basically quote him to her to make her think you're brilliant. (I'm fairly certain that's what Tattered did.)

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:08 pm

bouakedojo wrote:

I love Levin. He's kind of a dry professor, but he's really cool. If you can, take him for Admin Law because he's a boss at that.

Osgood was one of my favorite professors until I got my grade in that class. Then I was like, I will never take a class with him again. It was a serious "wtf" moment. And I talked to several friends (some on Law Review) and they've had the same experience. Don't even study for the final because it's not worth it!
I echo all of this. I think lots of people don't get Levin. He's dry but hilarious. And admin law is really good.

Osgood was one of my worst grades, easily. So I don't know what advice to give. I don't think he's that great at crafting essay questions that allow for differentiation. Or, he's looking for really idiosyncratic things that I didn't give him. Or I suck. Or a combination of all three. Probably that.

But aside from grades, Osgood is awesome. Top 3 fave professor here.
Last edited by TatteredDignity on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

RoseVI wrote:
Dolphine wrote:What about thoughts on supplements for Drobak, Inazu and Flagg?
Chemerinsky for Flagg. You can basically quote him to her to make her think you're brilliant. (I'm fairly certain that's what Tattered did.)
Truth. There's a reason I was hawking chemerinsky for the LOW LOW price of $25 in that same post :wink:

RoseVI

New

Post by RoseVI » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:20 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:

I echo all of this. I think lots of people don't get Levin. He's dry but hilarious. And admin law is really good.

Osgood was one of my worst grades, easily. So I don't know what advice to give. I don't think he's that great at crafting essay questions that allow for differentiation. Or, he's looking for really idiosyncratic things that I didn't give him. Or I suck. Or a combination of all three. Probably that.

But aside from grades, Osgood is awesome. Top 3 fave professor here.
To do well in Osgood's class, you need to pay attention and take good notes. He tests more on what he says in class than actual law, so if you have decent notes (and have them easily accessible during the exam), it's not hard to get a decent grade.

Levin's the exact opposite: if you know the law, you're fine. Read the E&E, and you'll be set.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm

hoos89 wrote:Also, my section last year benefited from a very generous curve. (No grades below 80, top grade was a 98, and 40% of the class got a 90 or above).
We have different conceptions of a "generous curve," I suppose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Also, my section last year benefited from a very generous curve. (No grades below 80, top grade was a 98, and 40% of the class got a 90 or above).
We have different conceptions of a "generous curve," I suppose.
Maybe I'm just using La Pierre's curve as a standard. I've had one professor give out 9 grades in the 70s, one give out 6 (to go along with another 10 of 80-82), another gave 3, another gave out 4 (including an F), and another gave out 8. Osgood is the only professor I had who didn't give out a grade below 80, so people at the bottom weren't killed (relatively speaking), and people at the top still got rewarded. So yes, I consider that a generous curve, given that it has to conform to a mandatory mean. I'm not saying that he usually gives out a generous curve (his top grade is usually around 94 with grades below 80), but he did for my section.
I hear what you're saying. By "generous" you mean "low performers aren't punished as harshly." I think of generous as rewarding those who distinguished themselves from the pack, rather than cramming all the top scorers in between 90 and 94.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:20 pm

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:07 am

sublime wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Greenfield wasn't that demanding in terms of time. We had, what, 10 pages to read per class? Yea, he was intellectually demanding at times, but that is what we are here for, right?

(I absolutely love Greenfield. Even after that exam)
By more demanding, I didn't really mean workload, although I wasn't very clear. I more meant more demanding in the sense of what it feels like to actually be on the spot. Apparently Drobak is worse than Greenfield at burning holes through you with his eyes.

RoseVI

New

Post by RoseVI » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:33 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
sublime wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Greenfield wasn't that demanding in terms of time. We had, what, 10 pages to read per class? Yea, he was intellectually demanding at times, but that is what we are here for, right?

(I absolutely love Greenfield. Even after that exam)
By more demanding, I didn't really mean workload, although I wasn't very clear. I more meant more demanding in the sense of what it feels like to actually be on the spot. Apparently Drobak is worse than Greenfield at burning holes through you with his eyes.
Drobak's a big teddy bear. As long as you read (10 or so pages a night in his property class, not sure what he does for civ pro) and can speak competently, it's fine.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 am

Why the hell are you 1L's worrying about this right now. Go do non-law stuff

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am

RoseVI wrote: Drobak's a big teddy bear. As long as you read (10 or so pages a night in his property class, not sure what he does for civ pro) and can speak competently, it's fine.
Beat me to this. I don't know who you've been talking to, Merkin, but Drobak crushes you with kindness, not fear. You are motivated to prepare because you don't want to disappoint him, or something weird like that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”