WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by Jackson Pollock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:13 pm

I've got some ties to KC and will probably be looking into that as well.

With regards to grades, is it top 1/3 that would be competitive, then, for associate positions in that region?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the help, Rock Chalk. Much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Rock Chalk wrote: Many of my classmates who are staying in STL are doing unpaid work with Legal Services, U.S. Attorney's office, and several non-profits. Some very competitive students are doing RAs with well-respected professors, and others are doing other RAs. The upside is that WUSTL has a public service stipend that will pay many of these students' bills. Just about everyone that I know has something law-related lined up.
I can't find many details on the public service stipend for summer work. What can you tell me?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:48 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I can't find many details on the public service stipend for summer work. What can you tell me?
If you work an unpaid government or public interest job during your 1L year (which most people do), you get a $3,000 stipend for the summer from WUSTL.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Just checking in to say I just toured the building and it was quite nice. A really beautiful campus. If anyone saw a nervous looking character wandering around wearing jeans and a green polo, well that was me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:If anyone saw a nervous looking character wandering around wearing jeans and a green polo, well that was me.
Why were you nervous?

Edit: And thanks for the responses about KC, RockChalk.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:
Michael Bluth wrote:If anyone saw a nervous looking character wandering around wearing jeans and a green polo, well that was me.
Why were you nervous?

It's intimidating, man. Lots of smart people walking around.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:I can't find many details on the public service stipend for summer work. What can you tell me?
If you work an unpaid government or public interest job during your 1L year (which most people do), you get a $3,000 stipend for the summer from WUSTL.
Also, I should add that you must work 350 hours over the summer in order to qualify for the stipend. I plan to work like 12 weeks for 30 hours a week. And if you get a second job, you can make up to an additional $1,500 without it affecting the stipend. Once you go over $1,500, they will take 50% of that to offset the stipend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Also, I should add that you must work 350 hours over the summer in order to qualify for the stipend. I plan to work like 12 weeks for 30 hours a week. And if you get a second job, you can make up to an additional $1,500 without it affecting the stipend. Once you go over $1,500, they will take 50% of that to offset the stipend.

in my head=bartend or otherwise work for cash tips

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:
Why were you nervous?

Oh just because I really was only looking to wander around on my own, and ended up getting a guided tour and a sit-down with Dean Clifford. Just the general fear of being unprepared, asking dumb questions, etc. But I had a really nice time.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I was trying to decide between KU and WUSTL for coming back to KC, and the people I talked with IRL overwhelmingly said WUSTL, FWIW. It was a bit sketchier when I was looking at WUSTL sticker, but with scholly it's almost a no-brainer.
yeah, I think you're definitely making the right decision there. WUSTL will open doors and that debt load is completely manageable.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:48 pm

splitmuch wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

in my head=bartend or otherwise work for cash tips
that's smart.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 pm

For most sections, do 1L finals seem to be open-book or closed? I've been assuming that in most places, they're open, but I thought I'd ask specifically about WUSTL.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:07 pm

0LNewbie wrote:For most sections, do 1L finals seem to be open-book or closed? I've been assuming that in most places, they're open, but I thought I'd ask specifically about WUSTL.
I think they're mixed. Last semester, my property and contracts finals were closed book, and my torts final was open book. This semester, they're all either open book or modified open book.

I'm not sure how this compares with other schools though.

legallyb

New

Post by legallyb » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Do you have any idea about the prospects of the wait-list? I'm currently on it

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:42 pm

bryancharlesmoore wrote:Do you have any idea about the prospects of the wait-list? I'm currently on it
It really depends on your numbers. With your GPA, I'd say you at least have a halfway decent chance. You're what I would consider "right on the fence." If you haven't already, I'd visit campus and tell the dean this is your first choice and you really want to go here (if that is, indeed, the case).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

0LNewbie wrote:For most sections, do 1L finals seem to be open-book or closed? I've been assuming that in most places, they're open, but I thought I'd ask specifically about WUSTL.
Most seem to be open, but I barely looked at my outlines during exams at all last semester.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Most seem to be open, but I barely looked at my outlines during exams at all last semester.
Yeah, from what I understand, if you're looking at your outline too much, you're in trouble already.... still, you never know when you might need to access some finer point that's slipped your mind. Or maybe there aren't finer points that can be tested on a 3 hour exam, what do I know?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:04 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Yeah, from what I understand, if you're looking at your outline too much, you're in trouble already.... still, you never know when you might need to access some finer point that's slipped your mind. Or maybe there aren't finer points that can be tested on a 3 hour exam, what do I know?
They test everything...believe me. That's about all the outline is good for during an open book exam. If you're forgetting the basic points, you're in trouble.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Do they give away free coffee on campus?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”