WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JCougar

Gold

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by JCougar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm

cusenation wrote:
JCougar wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:Is there a possibility at WUSTL to get a position at, for instance, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Brussels?
This is highly unlikely. I know at least 1 LLM that got a position at a foreign office of a V50 firm, but Cleary Gottleib is pretty much beyond our pay grade in all aspects. I don't know where the others are working, though. A lot of LLMs seem to transfer into the full-time JD program actually.
I spoke to an alumni at Cleary on the phone when I was considering transfering. It's not easy but it's possible if you're top 10% or higher..maybe top 15% as well? I know there's a 2L going to Cravath who's outside top 10%
My class had people going to Milbank, SullCrom, Cravath, Skadden, Proskauer, Baker McKenzie, and two at Kirkland Ellis.

But I don't think I've ever heard of Cleary hiring from WUSTL.
Last edited by JCougar on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:08 pm

JCougar wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JCougar wrote:
llmcandidate wrote:Is there a possibility at WUSTL to get a position at, for instance, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP in Brussels?
This is highly unlikely. I know at least 1 LLM that got a position at a foreign office of a V50 firm, but Cleary Gottleib is pretty much beyond our pay grade in all aspects. I don't know where the others are working, though. A lot of LLMs seem to transfer into the full-time JD program actually.
I spoke to an alumni at Cleary on the phone when I was considering transfering. It's not easy but it's possible if you're top 10% or higher..maybe top 15% as well? I know there's a 2L going to Cravath who's outside top 10%
My class had people going to Milbank, SullCrom, Cravath, Skadden, Proskauer, and two at Kirkland Ellis.

But also wouldn't shooting for a foreign office, and a desirable one at that, be even more difficult?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:16 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
JCougar wrote: My class had people going to Milbank, SullCrom, Cravath, Skadden, Proskauer, and two at Kirkland Ellis.

But also wouldn't shooting for a foreign office, and a desirable one at that, be even more difficult?
I actually think it would be less difficult if you had ties to the area of the foreign office. Like if you're an LLM returning back to the area. I don't think foreign offices care as much about grades. Really, no one cares about grades as much as US Biglaw.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 pm

You know what, nevermind, I do know someone from my class at Cleary Gottlieb.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm

JCougar wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
JCougar wrote: My class had people going to Milbank, SullCrom, Cravath, Skadden, Proskauer, and two at Kirkland Ellis.

I actually think it would be less difficult if you had ties to the area of the foreign office. Like if you're an LLM returning back to the area. I don't think foreign offices care as much about grades. Really, no one cares about grades as much as US Biglaw.
unless you're an engineer and going into IP. grades matter far less w/ solid engineering background.
But other than that... yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

I don't know of anyone that is going to Cleary, but there were definitely several callbacks at Cleary this past OCI. I know nothing about LLM placement though.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Latest WUSTL employment statistics were very impressive 33% "ideal outcomes" 101+ Firm (29%) & Fed Clerk (4.5%) - one question - what does the bottom 2/3 of class usually end up doing?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:27 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Latest WUSTL employment statistics were very impressive 33% "ideal outcomes" 101+ Firm (29%) & Fed Clerk (4.5%) - one question - what does the bottom 2/3 of class usually end up doing?
i was in the bottom 2/3 (by a small margin) and i'm at a firm. but again.. see my note above about engineers and patent law. I felt like I was just straight up in a different program and race than everyone else at the school.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Also what about national reach - do most grads feel like with sufficient grades/interest/effort/connections they can place anywhere? I really like the idea of D.C. and I know they have some awesome externship programs created around students interests which really intrigues me - what can you guys say about the tailor-made programs for student interests and/or national placement potential?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Also what about national reach - do most grads feel like with sufficient grades/interest/effort/connections they can place anywhere? I really like the idea of D.C. and I know they have some awesome externship programs created around students interests which really intrigues me - what can you guys say about the tailor-made programs for student interests and/or national placement potential?
DC is the second biggest market for WUSTL grads according to LST.
I know a DC firm I talked to said top 25% will get you an interview for sure.

Edit- Obviously that is one firm, and you aren't getting Williams Connolly or something, but still WUSTL will travel to DC if you are in the top quarter or so.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks that's good to know. Also can someone hyperlink me to the best places to live within 1-2 miles of campus? Anything 600-900 would be great. Thanks!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 am

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 am

Can some current students chime in on their lease? Did many of you find leases that started in August by any chance?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:17 am

aesth24 wrote:Can some current students chime in on their lease? Did many of you find leases that started in August by any chance?
We got a May-to-May lease because we all wanted to move-in during the summer and just hang out, but yeah lots of people here have August-to-August lease. The only potential problem is that you would be moving into a new apartment in the middle of OCI if you stayed in your 1L apartment through the entire lease term

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 am

cusenation wrote:
aesth24 wrote:Can some current students chime in on their lease? Did many of you find leases that started in August by any chance?
We got a May-to-May lease because we all wanted to move-in during the summer and just hang out, but yeah lots of people here have August-to-August lease. The only potential problem is that you would be moving into a new apartment in the middle of OCI if you stayed in your 1L apartment through the entire lease term
Ah I see. Is it abnormal to renew your lease? For some reason I imagined graduate students being able to stay in the same apartment till they graduated.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 am

OCI is in mid August, so no matter what you do with your lease you shouldn't be moving during OCI. It's very much a renter's market - there is no need to worry about trying to find a place until a month or so before you want to move here. You can find places earlier, but it's not necessary.

Lots of people do stay at the same place all three years, but I'd guess that even more switch apartments between 1L and 2L.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:28 am

sublime wrote:
PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Thanks that's good to know. Also can someone hyperlink me to the best places to live within 1-2 miles of campus? Anything 600-900 would be great. Thanks!

I am in Quadrangle housing in a 1/1 in one of the rennovated units in the loop (like a half mile away from the school) and it is $950 with internet/cable/all utilities included. I love it, and it is really nice. But if you are willing to put in the work, you can probably find cheaper places.
I also leave in Quadrangle housing. More exactly, the Castlereagh. Someone from this thread recommended it, and I've been here for almost 2 years now.
I pay 805 for a one bedroom with internet, cable and utilities. It's not renovated, but it's still fine. And it's like a 7 minute walk to school, which was the selling point for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Last edited by jdmonkey on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm

I know that Cleary hires from WUSTL. At the employer showcase for 1Ls Cleary came and the "recruiter" was a WUSTL alum. She was giving out business cards for people to contact her about 2L interviews. There is no way that was staged. She was also a younger woman, who clearly wasn't too far removed from law school.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:OCI is in mid August, so no matter what you do with your lease you shouldn't be moving during OCI. It's very much a renter's market - there is no need to worry about trying to find a place until a month or so before you want to move here. You can find places earlier, but it's not necessary.

Lots of people do stay at the same place all three years, but I'd guess that even more switch apartments between 1L and 2L.
Awesome, thanks for the info.

LexOmniaVincit

New

Post by LexOmniaVincit » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 pm

I will be joining you guys next semester, and I am very exited about it! Here are some fun facts I found about Wash U Law, that I found interesting and that nudged me toward the law school.

WULSL is right behind Duke in placing its students in the elite litigations boutiques http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_Boutiques.shtml , it ranks 9th, ahead of Duke, for best law school for standard of living after graduation ( http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/34 ), and it does all of that while being the best law school for snatching a date ( http://www.businessinsider.com/washingt ... ife-2013-2 ).

Anyway, now that I have decide to attend the law school, I need to find a place where to live. So far, I have found two sources of information about apartments, Craigslist and Quadrangle ( http://quadrangle-postgrad.reslisting.com ). Are there any other ways to find APTs? Is there a better website?

And, how effective is the roommate-finding system put up by the school? If you find a roommate that route, when do you get to meet him or her? Is there anyone who can speak to me about her or his experience?

Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:33 pm

LexOmniaVincit wrote:I will be joining you guys next semester, and I am very exited about it! Here are some fun facts I found about Wash U Law, that I found interesting and that nudged me toward the law school.

WULSL is right behind Duke in placing its students in the elite litigations boutiques http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_Boutiques.shtml
, it ranks 9th, ahead of Duke, for best law school for standard of living after graduation ( http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/34 ), and it does all of that while being the best law school for snatching a date ( http://www.businessinsider.com/washingt ... ife-2013-2 ).

Anyway, now that I have decide to attend the law school, I need to find a place where to live. So far, I have found two sources of information about apartments, Craigslist and Quadrangle ( http://quadrangle-postgrad.reslisting.com ). Are there any other ways to find APTs? Is there a better website?

And, how effective is the roommate-finding system put up by the school? If you find a roommate that route, when do you get to meet him or her? Is there anyone who can speak to me about her or his experience?

Thank you!
One person in 13 years. AWESOME.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 am

LexOmniaVincit wrote:I will be joining you guys next semester, and I am very exited about it! Here are some fun facts I found about Wash U Law, that I found interesting and that nudged me toward the law school.

WULSL is right behind Duke in placing its students in the elite litigations boutiques http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_Boutiques.shtml , it ranks 9th, ahead of Duke, for best law school for standard of living after graduation ( http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/34 ), and it does all of that while being the best law school for snatching a date ( http://www.businessinsider.com/washingt ... ife-2013-2 ).

Thank you!
Someone here posted a site: padmapper.com which has been pretty helpful. I also just used google maps and typed in "apartments" in the search and bunch of companies and their building locations popped up all over the map which led to their websites.

LexOmniaVincit

New

Post by LexOmniaVincit » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Cellar-door wrote:

WULSL is right behind Duke in placing its students in the elite litigations boutiques http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_Boutiques.shtml
, it ranks 9th, ahead of Duke, for best law school for standard of living after graduation ( http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/34 ), and it does all of that while being the best law school for snatching a date ( http://www.businessinsider.com/washingt ... ife-2013-2 ).

Thank you!
Hi, Cellar-door,

I am not sure whether to interpret your comment as sarcastic or just a statement of fact. In case you meant it sarcastically, I would point out that "one person in 13 years" is also what UV and Duke can claim.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:22 pm

LexOmniaVincit wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:

Thank you!
Hi, Cellar-door,

I am not sure whether to interpret your comment as sarcastic or just a statement of fact. In case you meant it sarcastically, I would point out that "one person in 13 years" is also what UV and Duke can claim.
My point was that it is a useless stat because the sample size is tiny. No one gets those jobs outside of a few schools. This is like saying someone should use the fact that Cardozo got a Supreme Court clerk to evaluate it. You have better odds of being struck by lightning than getting one of those jobs out of WUSTL based on those stats (roughly 1 in 3000 v. 1 in 3300)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”