WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by sublime » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Oh, and for a lot of the doctrinal classes they will be about the same. For ones with bigger supplements like fed tax and commercial law they may be more, but the other ones should be cheaper.

Evidence is an exception.

Also you have more leeway to go used or an old edition since grades matter less.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Congrats!

Also I've found book costs to be about the same. And if you do a clinic/externship you may only have a couple classes which will really lower your book costs.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 pm

is anyone taking Sale's corporations? The book does not seem to be available anywhere...

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:25 pm

robert88 wrote:is anyone taking Sale's corporations? The book does not seem to be available anywhere...
Pretty sure the ISBN # is just wrong; if you just look for the O'Kelley 7th edition book there are tons of links. If not... then whooops I guess I got some other book lol. :mrgreen:

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 am

cheme2014 wrote:
robert88 wrote:is anyone taking Sale's corporations? The book does not seem to be available anywhere...
Pretty sure the ISBN # is just wrong; if you just look for the O'Kelley 7th edition book there are tons of links. If not... then whooops I guess I got some other book lol. :mrgreen:
thanks, i just got the 7th edition from amazon, and the price is much more reasonable, lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cheme2014

Bronze

Post by cheme2014 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:54 pm

robert88 wrote:thanks, i just got the 7th edition from amazon, and the price is much more reasonable, lol
Same here lol

akbkk311

New

Post by akbkk311 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:45 am

Out of curiosity, what is waitlist movement like at the beginning of the semester?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 pm

akbkk311 wrote:Out of curiosity, what is waitlist movement like at the beginning of the semester?
Pretty substantial for the drop period, although this tends to be more the case for the larger lecture courses. Smaller courses will see less movement, so don't count on a seminar opening up if you're far down on the list.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 pm

akbkk311 wrote:Out of curiosity, what is waitlist movement like at the beginning of the semester?
I've never not gotten in to something. It moves a lot starting about now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dude999

New

Post by Dude999 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 am

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?
Resume paper should be no less than 24 lbs. per ream. This will give your resume a subtle thickness, but wont be too bulky as to give the impression of construction paper. Raised lettering is a must, with Scillian Rail lettering on a pale nimbus backdrop. A watermark with your initials is costly, but is worthwhile as it portrays an heir of consummate professionalism sure to be lacking from your competition. I would advise including your business card along with your resume. At the top left corner of your resume (never the top right), your should clip your business card using a paper clip. The paper clip should be parallel to the left margin of your resume. The type of paper clip used depends on what you want to convey about your personality. If you want to come off as innovative, use an owl clip; if you want to come off as hard-working and determined, use an ezeon clip; if you want to come off as down to earth, use a niagra clip; or if you want to come off as a straight shooter, use a philadelphia clip. DO NOT, and I mean NEVER, use a gem clip. Gem clips are indicative of someone who settles for the bare minimum, and conventional to the point of boredom. As far as your business card goes, do not use the ones provided by the school (everyone else will do this, making themselves look like little schoolchildren in the process). Go to a professional printer and ask for a pale nimbus backdrop, and a scillian rail raised lettering. There should also be a watermark with your initials in the same style as appears on your resume.
Hey, be nice to the impressionable.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Did they announce class size at orientation?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:37 pm

If I had to drop 1: legal professionalism or appellate advocacy?

I currently already have 3 finals and would really prefer not to have a 4th. I'm going to be summering at a lit-only boutique next summer so I figured appellate advocacy can get me some useful writing experience and training. Appellate Advocacy is taught by "Finneran/T. Becker" and legal professionalism by Kuehn. Thoughts/opinions on the professors? Also, any word on whether appellate advocacy fulfills the practical lawyering skills course requirement?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:02 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If I had to drop 1: legal professionalism or appellate advocacy?

I currently already have 3 finals and would really prefer not to have a 4th. I'm going to be summering at a lit-only boutique next summer so I figured appellate advocacy can get me some useful writing experience and training. Appellate Advocacy is taught by "Finneran/T. Becker" and legal professionalism by Kuehn. Thoughts/opinions on the professors? Also, any word on whether appellate advocacy fulfills the practical lawyering skills course requirement?
No clue whether appellate advocacy fulfills the practical lawyering skills course requirement but fwiw Kuehn is awesome. His class will likely be easier, but the advocacy class will likely be more useful in terms of actual tangible what you get out of the material/practice, so it just depends what you're looking for. Kuehn is rad though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

typicalsplitter

New

Post by typicalsplitter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If I had to drop 1: legal professionalism or appellate advocacy?

Appellate Ad doesn't have an exam.

Appellate Ad: Finneran is great, and you will definitely get good writing experience. Most class time, however, is spent on the law surrounding appellate procedure rather than how to write an appellate brief.
Legal Profession: I liked Kuehn fine. But it's worth noting that unlike other legal ethics classes, this one is not specifically geared towards preparing for the MPRE.

G41u5

New

Post by G41u5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 pm

RareExports wrote:Did they announce class size at orientation?
I think they said 230.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 am

Can I take 13 credits (including 1 for journal), or is that too few?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:00 pm

12 is the min. But I recommend saving up low credit semesters for 3L year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Taking 24 credits all of 3l was very nice. I did it by loading up on pass fail courses and weekend classes 2l

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:45 pm

They finally changed LP and LRM to P/F this year?

(I just saw this on Fb and don't have any confirmation or anything)

splitterfromhell

Silver

Post by splitterfromhell » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:44 pm

sublime wrote:They finally changed LP and LRM to P/F this year?

1L here. Both classes are marked as being graded on my WebSTAC. Not sure if that's definitive or not.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:51 pm

sublime wrote:They finally changed LP and LRM to P/F this year?

Was wondering about this too. Also saw on Facebook, but for every 1L I have spoken to, they are under the impression it is graded.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 pm

yeah, not sure where the rumor started that it changed from graded to P/F this year

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 pm

how much effort is required to high pass pretrial?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:32 pm

valen wrote:how much effort is required to high pass pretrial?
Insofar as effort is actually correlated to grading in a law school class, I'd say it's comparable to the amount of work that you'd have to do to CALI LP.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:11 pm

valen wrote:how much effort is required to high pass pretrial?
Esp with the small sample of 12 students it's hard to say. Whatever it takes to be 9th best of those in your profs eyes is the best I can do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”