WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Gold

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by hoos89 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 am

jdmonkey wrote: +1 about no need to spend even close to 2k on books. Also while many of the used books are highlighted, my experience is that many of these books have more sentences than not highlighted, so you can completely ignore the previous highlighting by using a darker colour. You also might get lucky and find competent notes of key points next to the cases in the case books by the previous students.
That really boils down to personal preference. I just like to have a clean slate to work with, and I have difficulty trusting what someone I don't know has done in terms of highlighting / note taking. Just be careful with getting used books online because I've seen some pretty horrendous highlighting jobs (one of my friends had one where literally everything on every page was underlined in black).
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 am

If you get to the bookstore relatively early in the process (rather than waiting until the last minute or having the bookstore assemble your books for you) you can normally have your pick from a large pile of books, which you can flip through to find one which meets your pre-existing highlighting criteria. Renting the casebooks is much cheaper than buying them (you'll never ever ever want to use them again), and it's really easy with the bookstore right there.

Many of your classmates will use chegg or something similar, which will probably save them something around 10-20 dollars per casebook, although it will be a used book not of your choice. If you care about the pre-existing highlighting, this may not be your best option.

Supplements are widely available from the people in the two classes above you for bargain prices. And if not them, the internet. Never pay the bookstore prices for supplements, unless you literally do not care about money.

Georges_Valere_Roux

New

Post by Georges_Valere_Roux » Sat May 24, 2014 2:00 am

Thanks for the replies. Based on this, I'll probably do a combination of renting and a small bit of everything else mentioned. A price comparison will be in order once I know what I require specifically. Just needed a rough estimate for loan purposes.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat May 24, 2014 5:03 pm

when a firm says its partner track is X years (lets say 10), am i correct in understanding that to mean that you are a run-of-the-mill associate until like year 6 and then are informed that you are or are on the partner track? So the actual time it takes to make partner is 16 years? Or does it mean that you are on the partner track from Year 1 and get informed whether you might make partner or not at year 6-ish (or 8, or whatever it is)?

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 pm

cusenation wrote:when a firm says its partner track is X years (lets say 10), am i correct in understanding that to mean that you are a run-of-the-mill associate until like year 6 and then are informed that you are or are on the partner track? So the actual time it takes to make partner is 16 years? Or does it mean that you are on the partner track from Year 1 and get informed whether you might make partner or not at year 6-ish (or 8, or whatever it is)?
The latter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Any rising 2L's remember when they actually got their class schedule / figured out which of the core classes they'd be taking 1st semester?

Cuse, which firms have you found that have a 10 year partner track? Eight years seems brutal enough, especially when it all used to be six years ~20 years ago.

Edit: Back to the previous 0L posts on COA, anyone crazy (Or crazy awesome) enough to have a rough estimate of what their total COL was 1L? Everything I've seen tells me the numbers WUSTL lists on its websites are wildly inflated.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat May 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:Any rising 2L's remember when they actually got their class schedule / figured out which of the core classes they'd be taking 1st semester?
I think we got our section assignments in mid-to-late July, i distinctly remember having my Hawaii trip ruined by it
Dredd_2017 wrote:Cuse, which firms have you found that have a 10 year partner track? Eight years seems brutal enough, especially when it all used to be six years ~20 years ago.

I just used 10 as an example, but some firms that have tiered partnership structures have extended the partnership track for equity partners

Wooostl2012

New

Post by Wooostl2012 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Dredd_2017 wrote:Any rising 2L's remember when they actually got their class schedule / figured out which of the core classes they'd be taking 1st semester?

Cuse, which firms have you found that have a 10 year partner track? Eight years seems brutal enough, especially when it all used to be six years ~20 years ago.

Edit: Back to the previous 0L posts on COA, anyone crazy (Or crazy awesome) enough to have a rough estimate of what their total COL was 1L? Everything I've seen tells me the numbers WUSTL lists on its websites are wildly inflated.
Not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure most big law firms have partnership tracks in the 10ish year range now, at least for equity partner. Many have two-tiered systems that give you the title earlier.

johnnyquest

Bronze

Post by johnnyquest » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 am

I originally asked this question in another forum, but I was wondering how WUSTL specifically selects the students in section. I've heard of schools mixing it up from top to bottom, schools that stack, and schools that randomly choose.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 am

johnnyquest wrote:I originally asked this question in another forum, but I was wondering how WUSTL specifically selects the students in section. I've heard of schools mixing it up from top to bottom, schools that stack, and schools that randomly choose.
I would be surprised if anyone actually knows the answer to this question. However, because WUSTL's scholarships come with essentially no stipulations, there would be no incentive for WUSTL to stack sections.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:35 am

Total Litigator wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:I originally asked this question in another forum, but I was wondering how WUSTL specifically selects the students in section. I've heard of schools mixing it up from top to bottom, schools that stack, and schools that randomly choose.
I would be surprised if anyone actually knows the answer to this question. However, because WUSTL's scholarships come with essentially no stipulations, there would be no incentive for WUSTL to stack sections.
My understanding from speaking to one of the LRM profs is that they actively try to make the distributions of the sections evenly distributed across as many factors as possible (LSAT, UGPA, Gender, Race, etc.).

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I think they also do it by last name, because my section had a ton of people whose last names began with P-S. I estimate 75% of the section met that criteria.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Wed May 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Last edited by Dolphine on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed May 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Dolphine wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:
I think they also do it by last name, because my section had a ton of people whose last names began with P-S. I estimate 75% of the section met that criteria.
Lol no.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 28, 2014 5:34 pm

konar

New

Post by konar » Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm pretty sure they do it by astrological sign. Gotta ensure compatibility.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Thu May 29, 2014 12:14 am

An admin told me last Fall that they give each person a score based off of the LSAT + undergrad GPA. Then they balance/average out the different sections.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Thu May 29, 2014 12:16 am

Are they really mulching those study rooms on the northside of 3rd floor this summer? Wither OCI?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Thu May 29, 2014 7:55 am

bulinus wrote:Are they really mulching those study rooms on the northside of 3rd floor this summer? Wither OCI?
Most if oci took place in the knight center last year. What are they doing to those rooms?

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

sublime wrote:Wtf jd.

they attempt to equalize it as much as possible, iirc.
No sorry I got confused. I am wrong about the last name thing. In classes I had to sign in for, I always saw a bunch of last names that looked like mine. That's because they were in alphabetical order! I'm a dunce.

recliner

New

Post by recliner » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Any recommendations on a laptop? Do students bring them to class, or only use them on exams? Is it better to have light with a small screen, or heavier with a larger screen?

Any restrictions on which OS's are supported for the test software? I assume that either Windows or Mac should be OK.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:57 pm

The only suggestion I have in terms of specs is that you get a laptop with a keyboard that will not hinder your typing speed.* Pretty much everything else just boils down to personal preference.

Whether you bring a laptop to class is generally up to you, with the exception that some professors prohibit laptops in class.

*As figaro pointed out, you can also use an external keyboard for exams if you need to.
Last edited by hoos89 on Thu May 29, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Thu May 29, 2014 2:59 pm

recliner wrote:Any recommendations on a laptop? Do students bring them to class, or only use them on exams? Is it better to have light with a small screen, or heavier with a larger screen?

Any restrictions on which OS's are supported for the test software? I assume that either Windows or Mac should be OK.
Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Examsoft works with both Mac and windows. If you go small, you can always bring an external keyboard for exams. I would say in classes where the professor allows laptops, a majority use them. That said , I would recommend taking notes by hand at least at first bc it makes you a)pay attention and b) gets you out of "transcribing" the lecture. That's just my experience, ymmv.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Inazu gave out 11 A+'s? What the fucking fuck

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!