WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
beachbum

Gold

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by beachbum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 pm

JCougar wrote:
seriously???? wrote:hey man, I appreciate the feedback.
Looking at craigslist it seems that I could very easily find a 1BR for 600 a month? Is this accurate? What are the main neighborhoods students live in? Ideally, I would like a place relatively quiet (away from undergrads), near some park with greenery to go running, and within a mile or mile and a half of classes? thanks
University City is cool and it's near the school, but it is kind of undergrad-y. I think you would like the Central West End. It's at the opposite end of the enormous park, it's a little more quieter and mature, but there's still a lot to do. Lots of grad students and medical school people in the area.
I'm not sure what housing is like in other areas, but I'm currently paying $625/month in rent + ~$18/month in electric (other utilities are included) for a studio in the CWE. This was one of the best deals I found (there were a few other apts that were cheaper, but they also tended to be older and/or kinda sketchy). Prices also tend to rise as you get closer to the busier parts of the CWE (i.e. near Drunken Fish). HTH.

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:13 am

Are there any good Mexican restaurants in St. Louis?

I've been to three and they were like giant gringo clusterfucks, just terrible.

Good salsa is very, very important to my quality of life.

ohyouknow

New

Post by ohyouknow » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am

Try anything on Cherokee Street.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:Are there any good Mexican restaurants in St. Louis?

I've been to three and they were like giant gringo clusterfucks, just terrible.

Good salsa is very, very important to my quality of life.
+1 You can judge the entire quality of a Mexican restaurant from the salsa. If you don't see cilantro in the salsa you should just walk out cause there's nothing there worth having. Also, if there's only red salsa and no green salsa, leave - unless you like cardboard.

I think living in Houston has spoiled me, cause now my bar for good Mexican food is ridiculously high.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:22 pm

ihp12 wrote:I think living in Houston has spoiled me, cause now my bar for good Mexican food is ridiculously high.
I have yet to find a Mexican place in STL that knocked my socks off, but then again, I haven't looked very hard. I'm sure there are at least one or two places worth going to.

St. Louis does BBQ and Italian food as well as anyone though. If you want some awesome pasta, it is all about The Hill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Not really a question, more of a statement: I booked the Clayton Sheraton for Mar 26-28 for a visit (sadly missing the 3/25 ASD due to another ASD up East)! Their WUSTL vistor rate is a pretty good deal.

Any suggestions of things to do that Sunday? I'm going to visit campus that Monday, if anyone wants to show me around :) I'm planning to call admissions today to setup a tour and that kind of stuff as well.

narayan1121

New

Post by narayan1121 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:10 pm

krad wrote:Not really a question, more of a statement: I booked the Clayton Sheraton for Mar 26-28 for a visit (sadly missing the 3/25 ASD due to another ASD up East)! Their WUSTL vistor rate is a pretty good deal.

Any suggestions of things to do that Sunday? I'm going to visit campus that Monday, if anyone wants to show me around :) I'm planning to call admissions today to setup a tour and that kind of stuff as well.
Have you checked out this blog post yet? It seems like a good place to start.

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/lifeasweknowit/?p=174

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:12 pm

narayan1121 wrote:
krad wrote:Not really a question, more of a statement: I booked the Clayton Sheraton for Mar 26-28 for a visit (sadly missing the 3/25 ASD due to another ASD up East)! Their WUSTL vistor rate is a pretty good deal.

Have you checked out this blog post yet? It seems like a good place to start.

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/lifeasweknowit/?p=174
Oooh thanks!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ihp12 wrote:I think living in Houston has spoiled me, cause now my bar for good Mexican food is ridiculously high.
I have yet to find a Mexican place in STL that knocked my socks off, but then again, I haven't looked very hard. I'm sure there are at least one or two places worth going to.

St. Louis does BBQ and Italian food as well as anyone though. If you want some awesome pasta, it is all about The Hill.
+1 to all of this. I've tried just about every Mexican place around here that I've seen/heard of, and have yet to find anything better than "meh." If you're looking for something along the lines of Texas or SoCal, prepare to be disappointed.

But with that said, we do a lot of other ethnic foods REALLY well. If you want good Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, or Japanese/Sushi, you're in luck. The Hill is awesome for Italian. And if you want good BBQ, try Pappys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:09 pm

no malaysian?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:

In general, the Mexican food in St. Louis is cookie-cutter, Americanized, Tex-Mex crap that tastes about as Mexican as a hot dog at a ballgame.

But I've found the jackpot. On Cherokee St. just south of Soulard, there's a couple of authentic, hole-in-the-wall Mexican places that will knock your socks off, if authentic is what you're looking for.

We should organize a drinking outing to Soulard sometime, and get Mexican for dinner.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:37 pm

I vacationed through St Louis this past winter and went to Zia's on The Hill (awesome Italian food) and a really great bakery near there. I think it was called Missouri Bakery or something. I knew the bakery was going to be hot shit when I saw the little digital deli counter thing and a sign that said cash only.

Worth checking out if you are in the area.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:

try mi ranchito, it is close to campus.1/2 mile north of del mar on Kingsland.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Ate at Pappy's this past Saturday. Got the last of the ribs. Balllerrrrrr.

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 pm

when is Fall OCI for 2lL's? thanks

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 am

seriously???? wrote:when is Fall OCI for 2lL's? thanks
I think it is in August. I dunno exactly.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 am

beachbum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1 to all of this. I've tried just about every Mexican place around here that I've seen/heard of, and have yet to find anything better than "meh." If you're looking for something along the lines of Texas or SoCal, prepare to be disappointed.

But with that said, we do a lot of other ethnic foods REALLY well. If you want good Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Ethiopian, Brazilian, or Japanese/Sushi, you're in luck. The Hill is awesome for Italian. And if you want good BBQ, try Pappys.
Thanks this is helpful. My criteria for selecting a law school, in order, are...

1. quality and diversity of food in the area

2. biglaw & clerkship placement

3. quality and diversity of food in the area

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 pm

What's the competition like at WUSTL?

And I'm not asking if people are friendly or if there are pages torn out of books. I mean does everyone study 12 hours a day outside of class, or is it half slackers - 1/4 somewhat hard workers - 1/4 gunners, or some other combo?

How hard do people work relative to their undergrad experience?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:30 pm

tag

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm

If anyone gets a chance, you should try the Horseshoe House at the intersection of Delmar and Rosedale on the Loop for a central Illinois delicacy: the horseshoe.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:54 pm

That looks fantastic!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 pm

ihp12 wrote:What's the competition like at WUSTL?

And I'm not asking if people are friendly or if there are pages torn out of books. I mean does everyone study 12 hours a day outside of class, or is it half slackers - 1/4 somewhat hard workers - 1/4 gunners, or some other combo?

How hard do people work relative to their undergrad experience?
The competition here is tough because our students are smart, but I don’t think this school is a bastion of gunners. Yes there are some slackers, and yes there are some people who work incredibly hard (my roommate being one of them, he puts me to shame!) But there are people all along the spectrum, and some of the hardest workers don’t do well, and some of the people who work a little less do really well. There are so many factors in doing well in law school. I always say that hard work is a pre-requisite of doing well in law school, but once you get above that threshold of work that is required, things even out. Being an uber-gunner working 12 hours a night is not going to get you anywhere.

Most people here are pretty chill about school. I think most people work hard and play hard, and I have had a blast this year. Even the top folks in the class goes to bar review, so don’t think that doing well requires you to be a psycho or something. You will only alienate yourself and crash and burn in law school.

And nearly everyone in law school is going to work harder than they did in undergrad, especially if they were a liberal arts major or something. I do more reading in a month of law school than I did in a year of undergrad. It is just so much more work and pressure, so don’t think you can blow it off.
Last edited by romothesavior on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm

I would like to be eating those french fries right now.

*Edited to include more important content.

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Post by edgarfigaro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Very important question: how is the cell reception for ATT and Verizon?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:Very important question: how is the cell reception for ATT and Verizon?
No problems on either side, I think Verizon's might be minimally better in STL but no real difference whatsoever

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”