WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ek5dn

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by ek5dn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Thanks for everyone's help so far :) I'm all set to send in materials. Quick question: if a firm indicates on its website to check with career services about whether the firm will participate in any on-campus recruiting at your school, should I apply directly anyway? Should I email CCD to see if they have a list of firms that will be participating/usually participate in OCI?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:26 pm

PresidentPepe wrote:Hi everyone. I'm a rising 2L. I have been very anxious about OCI's and off campus interviews and I just had a few questions.

How do you cope with severe anxiety before an interview? And what if you become visibly sweaty during interviews?

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.
You should think about questions that you are going to be asked in interviews. Make notecards of the 10-20 most likely questions, and practice answering them, out loud. This way you'll think about your answers before showing up and won't freeze as easily.

Once you have an idea of what you are going to say in interviews, practice making your responses seem normal and not scripted. If you end up with lots of screeners, it's easy to go into a robotic response. That's not good. Be normal.

Lastly, if you have a bunch of screeners in one day, I'd spend time making notecards for each firm that you are interviewing with. Use Chambers, vault, friends working at the firm, etc as a guide and write down specifics about the firm on the card. Review the notecard right before the interview. It's so easy for firms to all seem the same, and knowing something specific about the firm will help you so much during the part of the interview that you are asked "do you have any questions for me?" You'll be able to ask a relevant question instead of something stupid like "how do you like working here".

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:27 pm

A friend from Mizzou who made the law school's review and wants to work at a corporate firm asked me about transferring to Wash U. All I know is that firms judge you by your 1L stats off of your old school. Any additional insight is appreciated.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm

I second all of that from wt. Really good advice.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 pm

ek5dn wrote:Thanks for everyone's help so far :) I'm all set to send in materials. Quick question: if a firm indicates on its website to check with career services about whether the firm will participate in any on-campus recruiting at your school, should I apply directly anyway? Should I email CCD to see if they have a list of firms that will be participating/usually participate in OCI?
If they're not currently listed then in any OCI program then just apply.

legit wrote:A friend from Mizzou who made the law school's review and wants to work at a corporate firm asked me about transferring to Wash U. All I know is that firms judge you by your 1L stats off of your old school. Any additional insight is appreciated.
I'd need to know a lot of other stuff to know whether this is a good idea, but unless your friend wants to work in STL and only STL it's probably not a great idea. WUSTL is not a school I'd want to pay sticker to attend, even for two years (unless maybe your friend isn't getting much scholarship aid at Mizzou in which case maybe). In any case your friend would probably Be better served blanketing the T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:35 pm

WheatThins wrote:
PresidentPepe wrote:Hi everyone. I'm a rising 2L. I have been very anxious about OCI's and off campus interviews and I just had a few questions.

How do you cope with severe anxiety before an interview? And what if you become visibly sweaty during interviews?

You should think about questions that you are going to be asked in interviews. Make notecards of the 10-20 most likely questions, and practice answering them, out loud. This way you'll think about your answers before showing up and won't freeze as easily.

Once you have an idea of what you are going to say in interviews, practice making your responses seem normal and not scripted. If you end up with lots of screeners, it's easy to go into a robotic response. That's not good. Be normal.

Lastly, if you have a bunch of screeners in one day, I'd spend time making notecards for each firm that you are interviewing with. Use Chambers, vault, friends working at the firm, etc as a guide and write down specifics about the firm on the card. Review the notecard right before the interview. It's so easy for firms to all seem the same, and knowing something specific about the firm will help you so much during the part of the interview that you are asked "do you have any questions for me?" You'll be able to ask a relevant question instead of something stupid like "how do you like working here".
I disagree with straight up rehearsing what you are going to say. I think it makes you sound much more rehearsed. If anything, think out most avenues that you will be questioned but don't rehearse it. Also don't be afraid to ask off-topic questions. For example in my TC screener I asked them when the buildings in St. Louis started putting the law firms on the side. This spun into a 15 minute conversation resulting in a CB and we didn't even end up talking about my below bidding range/offer grades.

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Has anyone who applied after 5/1 heard back from the MBA program?

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 pm

valen wrote:For off campus employers in multiple cities (like Cadwalader, Kirland, etc), what was the consensus? Is it ok to apply for both cities or just pick one, assuming all are major markets?

And what about firms that are on oci and multiple of the off campus programs, just apply to them on all platforms?
I think it's probably fine to apply to both cities for most firms. FWIW, last year Cadwalader in particular was super aggressive in looking for ties to North Carolina when interviewing for their Charlotte office

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:28 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
valen wrote:For off campus employers in multiple cities (like Cadwalader, Kirland, etc), what was the consensus? Is it ok to apply for both cities or just pick one, assuming all are major markets?

And what about firms that are on oci and multiple of the off campus programs, just apply to them on all platforms?
I think it's probably fine to apply to both cities for most firms. FWIW, last year Cadwalader in particular was super aggressive in looking for ties to North Carolina when interviewing for their Charlotte office
I think you'd be fine with ties to the broader region rather than just North Carolina. Also an expressed interest in finance would be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:34 pm

bluedolphin wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

I disagree with straight up rehearsing what you are going to say. I think it makes you sound much more rehearsed. If anything, think out most avenues that you will be questioned but don't rehearse it. Also don't be afraid to ask off-topic questions. For example in my TC screener I asked them when the buildings in St. Louis started putting the law firms on the side. This spun into a 15 minute conversation resulting in a CB and we didn't even end up talking about my below bidding range/offer grades.
I mean, whatever works for you. I was sharing my approach, which worked for me.

And I agree with reading your interviewer. Especially if you're interviewing in his/her office, it's usually a good idea to pick up on anything notable to mention when there is a lull in the conversation.

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 am

Deleted.
Last edited by aspire2esquire on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:22 am

hoos89 wrote:
legit wrote:A friend from Mizzou who made the law school's review and wants to work at a corporate firm asked me about transferring to Wash U. All I know is that firms judge you by your 1L stats off of your old school. Any additional insight is appreciated.
I'd need to know a lot of other stuff to know whether this is a good idea, but unless your friend wants to work in STL and only STL it's probably not a great idea. WUSTL is not a school I'd want to pay sticker to attend, even for two years (unless maybe your friend isn't getting much scholarship aid at Mizzou in which case maybe). In any case your friend would probably Be better served blanketing the T14.
Last two question on this topic since not related to Wash U: If Mizzou to T14, will that knock out STL firm chances? Also, what range should my friend look to bid/mass-mail?

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:09 am

WheatThins wrote:
bluedolphin wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

I mean, whatever works for you. I was sharing my approach, which worked for me.

And I agree with reading your interviewer. Especially if you're interviewing in his/her office, it's usually a good idea to pick up on anything notable to mention when there is a lull in the conversation.
OP, I'm going to agree w/ WT here, just because you say you get really nervous. I think if you rehearse, you'll feel more prepared, which means you'll be less nervous.

I agree that some people don't need to rehearse, and doing so only makes them seem more robotic, as bluedolphin points out, but in your case, I think it would be helpful to practice at least a little, just for your peace of mind

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

legit wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Last two question on this topic since not related to Wash U: If Mizzou to T14, will that knock out STL firm chances? Also, what range should my friend look to bid/mass-mail?
Honestly I think it kind of depends. Being one of the few people interested in STL at a T14 might not be a bad thing, and it's not like local firms are known for their WUSTL love. Generally speaking the safer move is to go T14, I think, as long as your friend is willing to work in a major market. Mass-mail everywhere you'd be willing to work if you had no other offer (that goes for everyone), and bidding just depends on the school.

ek5dn

Bronze

Post by ek5dn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 am

If the firm I'm applying to uses one of those online application forms, and it asks to specify which office you're applying for (location) and I'm open to working in more than one office, should I apply twice - one for each office? Will the application be sent to different recruiting coordinators/managers?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:21 am

ek5dn wrote:If the firm I'm applying to uses one of those online application forms, and it asks to specify which office you're applying for (location) and I'm open to working in more than one office, should I apply twice - one for each office? Will the application be sent to different recruiting coordinators/managers?
In my experience, often you are able to check multiple boxes. In the cases you are not able to, you can submit multiple applications, in which case it would go to the recruiting coordinator for each office (which is sometimes the same person), but I always assume there is a reason they only allow you to check one box (i.e. they don't want to have people doing that). YMMV

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:23 am

aspire2esquire wrote:How many times is too many to ask for more scholarship money? Can I keep emailing politely until I get a no?
I would keep asking until you get a no. However, I would try to space out my requests a little. If you ask for an increase three days after getting one/getting one declined, there's less chance that the situation has changed, than if you, say, wait two weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 am

Advice on whether this schedule seems manageable? I am also doing a journal.

bankruptcy / commercial law / corporations / fed tax / intl business trac

I'm considering subbing in UCC art 2 or pre trial for bankruptcy. I know a few of you have said bankruptcy + comm law is a great combo, but bankruptcy is so early in the morning. Is the overlap really worth getting to school at 7:30?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:55 am

valen wrote:Advice on whether this schedule seems manageable? I am also doing a journal.

I'm considering subbing in UCC art 2 or pre trial for bankruptcy. I know a few of you have said bankruptcy + comm law is a great combo, but bankruptcy is so early in the morning. Is the overlap really worth getting to school at 7:30?
^Way too much for one semester. I did just 3 of those and it was a busy semester.

I, like many, did the bankruptcy and commercial combo. It's not like holy water or something. They're fall-only classes though, so that adds to the equation.

I'd recommend choosing 2-3 of those and filling the rest of your credits with pre trial, weekend classes, etc. Even if you were not on a journal, all 5 of those is overly ambitious.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 am

valen wrote:Advice on whether this schedule seems manageable? I am also doing a journal.

This schedule is honestly my worst nightmare.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:38 am

ek5dn wrote:If the firm I'm applying to uses one of those online application forms, and it asks to specify which office you're applying for (location) and I'm open to working in more than one office, should I apply twice - one for each office? Will the application be sent to different recruiting coordinators/managers?
As someone who had a fair amount of success mass-mailing: those forms are black holes in my experience, and a huge time suck. I always just used e-mail. And to the extent you're filling those out, no I wouldn't send multiple. If it only lets you pick one, check their biggest office and move on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:40 am

How about Law&Econ/Contract Theory Seminar/Corporations/Evidence/Employment Discrimination/Law&Policy Journal? Doable or insane?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:45 am

My rule of thumb was never more than 3 exams in a semester. Fill the rest with p/f shit like trial/pretrial and weekend classes.

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Some thoughts on scheduling:

*The bankruptcy multiple choice test is very hard and getting up that early is a struggle.
*IBT will be HP/P/F next semester so that is good but I have to admit that it's a frustrating class.
*You should only take Corporations with Sale or Badawi.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:07 pm

MtheG wrote:Some thoughts on scheduling:

*The bankruptcy multiple choice test is very hard and getting up that early is a struggle.
*IBT will be HP/P/F next semester so that is good but I have to admit that it's a frustrating class.
*You should only take Corporations with Sale or Badawi.
Why not Tuch?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”