WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Birdnals

Gold

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by Birdnals » Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 am

TheZoid wrote:Sorry to be a pain in the ass. I just saw Romo's map several pages back, and it looks like I'm nowhere near the U-City Loop. West of that and West of the campus as well, which presumably is much safer than UCity? Thanks again for the input fellas, and all the others for the info ITT.
Are you in Clayton downtown? If so enjoy, really safe/laid back area but still plenty to do

ETA around shaw park?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed May 23, 2012 11:19 am

Birdnals wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Sorry to be a pain in the ass. I just saw Romo's map several pages back, and it looks like I'm nowhere near the U-City Loop. West of that and West of the campus as well, which presumably is much safer than UCity? Thanks again for the input fellas, and all the others for the info ITT.
Are you in Clayton downtown? If so enjoy, really safe/laid back area but still plenty to do

ETA around shaw park?
It sounds like he's in clayton. If he's down forsyth west of west campus that's def. clayton.

safe neighborhood. lots of rich old people. also lots of yuppie college people.
Clayton may have a stick up it's @$$ but it is safe. They (Clayton govt) have been heard saying that they should be the new downtown and that everyone should just abandon the real downtown St. Louis.
Note: bars there closes at 1am and people don't tend to go out over there a WHOLE lot.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Wed May 23, 2012 11:45 am

haha sounds good. Thanks for the input fellas. Seems accurate based on what I thought driving around there. Down Forsythe there are some really nice houses and I'm right near some $600k condos and shit...I definitely liked the area when I visited. That's why when I thought I was in UCity and people were talking about it being dangerous and all that it seemed weird. I'll definitely take rich and stick up it's ass along with safety, doesn't bother me (not that I'm rich and/or have a stick up my ass). The fact that the area isn't exactly buzzing doesn't bother me either. Plan on studying a fair amount 1L.

Step #1 in going to law school: figure out where the hell you live.

Thanks again. Where are other incoming 1L's shacking up?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm

This may be the Stl native in me talking, but if you have a car you're like 5 minutes away (probably less) from the Loop. You'll be fine, and safer.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Wed May 23, 2012 4:08 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
This may be the Stl native in me talking, but if you have a car you're like 5 minutes away (probably less) from the Loop. You'll be fine, and safer.
I do have a car, so good shit. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Is Debaliviere Place safe?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu May 24, 2012 11:23 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Is Debaliviere Place safe?
A common answer: the farther from the metrolink stop, the safer.
But in general, yes, it is a safe area.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Nowhere south of Delmar and convenient to the school is really unsafe in the sense that you shouldn't want to live there. The most sketch areas are the Debaliviere and Delmar Metro stops, and side streets near CWE bars. Just keep your eyes open and try not to park on the street and you'll be fine.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri May 25, 2012 12:01 am

here is a question from the other side: Is living in Clayton that much safer and nicer? I saw a freaking gorgeous place on padmapper in Clayton. Will I miss out on all the parties/bar scene that CWE provides?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Fri May 25, 2012 12:13 am

roaringeagle wrote:here is a question from the other side: Is living in Clayton that much safer and nicer? I saw a freaking gorgeous place on padmapper in Clayton. Will I miss out on all the parties/bar scene that CWE provides?
Not really. Much hanging out happens in the Loop, and you can get to the CWE pretty quickly if you're willing to drive 5 minutes.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Fri May 25, 2012 12:18 am

soccerfreak wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:here is a question from the other side: Is living in Clayton that much safer and nicer? I saw a freaking gorgeous place on padmapper in Clayton. Will I miss out on all the parties/bar scene that CWE provides?
Not really. Much hanging out happens in the Loop, and you can get to the CWE pretty quickly if you're willing to drive 5 minutes.
It's just gonna depend who you are and who you roll with. I personally don't hang out on the loop. I only go twice a semester when bar review is there. My group of friends is always in CWE or east of there.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 am

Popping in to say that I lived in clayton (almost exactly where zoid is describing, I think) In undergrad and I absolutely adored it. A close metro stop, a quiet neighborhood, and way nicer accommodations than n the loop for the same price.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Popping in to say that I lived in clayton (almost exactly where zoid is describing, I think) In undergrad and I absolutely adored it. A close metro stop, a quiet neighborhood, and way nicer accommodations than n the loop for the same price.
Good to know, fs. It really seemed like a nice area when I visitied. Congrats on the NU acceptance, btw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Sun May 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Here is the 2012-2013 schedule for WashU Law:

http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/academic ... 2-2013.pdf

It would appear that the January intersession actually starts in December as the last exam is the 14th of December. Then it seems 1Ls have to return January 7th for Career Counseling etc. Am I right or wrong?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun May 27, 2012 2:45 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Here is the 2012-2013 schedule for WashU Law:

http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/academic ... 2-2013.pdf

It would appear that the January intersession actually starts in December as the last exam is the 14th of December. Then it seems 1Ls have to return January 7th for Career Counseling etc. Am I right or wrong?
Wrong.
Intersession starts Jan 7 as is posted in the schedule. Intersession == a week where you are at school taking instruction.
Break starts after your last final and ends the first day of intersession, if you are taking an intersession course. For 1Ls, mandatory career counseling. The mandatory nature was not imposed on my class though.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sun May 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Intercession was kind of a joke, and had lots panels/speakers who told us: "I got lol grades in lawschool but now i got teh models and bottles!" One of the speakers even criticized the outfit some student in the audience was wearing.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun May 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Oban wrote:Intercession was kind of a joke, and had lots panels/speakers who told us: "I got lol grades in lawschool but now i got teh models and bottles!" One of the speakers even criticized the outfit some student in the audience was wearing.
Was the student wearing something stupid...?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun May 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Oban wrote:Intercession was kind of a joke, and had lots panels/speakers who told us: "I got lol grades in lawschool but now i got teh models and bottles!" One of the speakers even criticized the outfit some student in the audience was wearing.
i heard about this. that's so frickin' harsh

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't remember exactly, but seemed decent, IE button down under a sweater or something along those lines.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Oban wrote:I don't remember exactly, but seemed decent, IE button down under a sweater or something along those lines.
as i recall, the speaker's problem was that it didn't fit the student properly.
Yeah, fit is important, but I don't see why you have to call someone out in the audience.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Anyone know anything about the Transnational Law Program? Sounded interesting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 pm

This might be the dumbest question, but 1Ls don't pick their classes, right? We're just put in a section and have our schedules assigned to us?

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

acadec wrote:This might be the dumbest question, but 1Ls don't pick their classes, right? We're just put in a section and have our schedules assigned to us?
Yes. No picking until 2L classes.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue May 29, 2012 11:33 pm

acadec wrote:This might be the dumbest question, but 1Ls don't pick their classes, right? We're just put in a section and have our schedules assigned to us?
you will hear so many dumber questions in the next three years.

Michael Bluth

Bronze

Post by Michael Bluth » Wed May 30, 2012 7:22 pm

fl0w wrote:
you will hear so many dumber questions in the next three years.
A girl in one of my classes asked our Crim professor about the legitimate legal viability of the Ashley Judd vehicle Double Jeopardy. So yeah, as fl0w says, that isn't even scratching the surface of the stupidity you'll encounter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”