WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bos93

New

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by bos93 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Only heard from MCGC/SEMW. When do we find out about OCI?

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 pm

I am selected to interview with the same firm on two different job fairs. Should I tell them that or pretend nothing happened?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:42 pm

robert88 wrote:I am selected to interview with the same firm on two different job fairs. Should I tell them that or pretend nothing happened?
I wouldn't. Either they know and they were ok with it, or they don't know, and you informing them makes it look like you don't think they can their job on their own. Just enjoy getting the two bites at the apple.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:48 pm

Last edited by valen on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:58 pm

robert88 wrote:I am selected to interview with the same firm on two different job fairs. Should I tell them that or pretend nothing happened?
Ask CSO about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:55 am

How typical is it to get a screener from being an alternate?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 am

valen wrote:
RareExports wrote:
I wouldn't. Either they know and they were ok with it, or they don't know, and you informing them makes it look like you don't think they can their job on their own. Just enjoy getting the two bites at the apple.
I have the same issue, but the firm specifically said on the MCGC website that "students should only interview with the firm one time - either during your school's OCI program or at one job fair or interview program". I got one screener in Chicago and one in NYC - thoughts on whether I should tell them?
My gut tells me the purpose of this is simply to avoid a double offer where the Chi and NYC offices of the same firm are competing for one summer. I doubt their recruiting committees communicate, but if you get both CBs I would only take one. Or if you have a real pair of brass ones wait till both offers roll in and tell one of them to suck it.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:02 am

This obviously varies greatly by firm, office, and year, but roughly what is the range of proportion of screeners that get callbacks and then callbacks that get offers?

I know there's not a specific answer because it's so variable, but what is the range typically?

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 am

RareExports wrote:This obviously varies greatly by firm, office, and year, but roughly what is the range of proportion of screeners that get callbacks and then callbacks that get offers?

I know there's not a specific answer because it's so variable, but what is the range typically?
I think at the off campus NY events, it's like 30% of screeners become callbacks. That's not randomly distributed, of course. I'm sure more polished interviewers are higher and that many people get 0 or 1 callback.

Rule of thumb is you're not safe, no matter how many you have, and to keep mass mailing and hustling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13 am

WheatThins wrote:
RareExports wrote:This obviously varies greatly by firm, office, and year, but roughly what is the range of proportion of screeners that get callbacks and then callbacks that get offers?

I think at the off campus NY events, it's like 30% of screeners become callbacks. That's not randomly distributed, of course. I'm sure more polished interviewers are higher and that many people get 0 or 1 callback.

Rule of thumb is you're not safe, no matter how many you have, and to keep mass mailing and hustling.
Yeah, even if I had 50 screeners I would not consider myself safe, just trying to gauge this. Do you know what proportion of callbacks turn into offers? I'm nearly certain this won't be the case for me, but if someone is at, say, 7 or 8 callbacks, should they decline additional callbacks?

Also, do you know if EIW typically has a lower screener-callback rate?

Thanks for the info! I know all of the rising 2Ls who are reading this appreciate it.

lososos

New

Post by lososos » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 am

RareExports wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Yeah, even if I had 50 screeners I would not consider myself safe, just trying to gauge this. Do you know what proportion of callbacks turn into offers? I'm nearly certain this won't be the case for me, but if someone is at, say, 7 or 8 callbacks, should they decline additional callbacks?

Thanks for the info! I know all of the rising 2Ls who are reading this appreciate it.
Honestly, as exhausting as the interview season can be, my opinion is that you should never turn down another callback unless you're absolutely 100% sure you would never be willing to work at the firm, even if it were the only offer you got. (And that likely won't happen.)

Not sure about screener-callback ratio but I can't think of a reason why EIW would be lower. If anything I would guess that it might be higher because those firms are exclusively looking for WUSTL students, whereas at off campus programs we aren't the only school to choose from. I don't really know, though.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am

It's a free all expenses paid trip I'd never turn down a callback unless I've accepted an offer.

Jay2716

Bronze

Post by Jay2716 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 pm

There is no screener-callback-offer ratio because it varies firm-to-firm and student-to-student. Some firms offer 80% of callbacks. Mine offers about 20%. I had something like 40 screeners, 4 callbacks, 4 offers. I know people who had 15 screeners, 8 callbacks and 1 offer. I took every screener I could get, had lower grades, and am a good interviewer. If someone is more selective with their screeners, has better grades, but is more awkward, they will have different ratios.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Jay2716 wrote:There is no screener-callback-offer ratio because it varies firm-to-firm and student-to-student. Some firms offer 80% of callbacks. Mine offers about 20%. I had something like 40 screeners, 4 callbacks, 4 offers. I know people who had 15 screeners, 8 callbacks and 1 offer. I took every screener I could get, had lower grades, and am a good interviewer. If someone is more selective with their screeners, has better grades, but is more awkward, they will have different ratios.
This information is helpful and is really what I was getting at. I understand the rates vary by firm, location, and applicant. I'm looking for ballpark info and anecdata, and your post provided that, so thank you.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:04 pm

I had like 40 screeners, two callback offers, did one callback and accepted that offer. I'm not a great interviewer (as you can tell). At time of OCI I was top 15%, secondary journal.

Really don't count on midwestern firms at EIW if you aren't from here.

c/o 2016, btw.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 pm

when emailing alumni at firms that we have screeners at/firms we are applying to - what should be said? I don't want to come across as begging for favors.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:53 pm

valen wrote:when emailing alumni at firms that we have screeners at/firms we are applying to - what should be said? I don't want to come across as begging for favors.
I would just say you're a wash u student and you're really interested in their firm for x y z and would love if they could take 5 minutes or so to talk to you on the phone (or maybe meet for coffee if you live near the city they're in/will be there). That way when you actually have your screener you can say "oh yeah, I was talking to X who works at your firm they told me Y about it which sounds interesting... can you tell me more about...? blah blah blah". In all likelihood the alum won't have any pull with hiring unless it's a partner, but it does show initiative to your interviewer and definitely interest in the firm. This is just my layperson opinion. Not a biglaw associate/partner/hiring person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 pm

As another data point, I was top third no journal and I had 20 screeners with 10 callbacks, 1 offer and 9 withdrawals.

Mostly St Louis, Chicago and another Midwest secondary.

FuturePaulClement

New

Post by FuturePaulClement » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:42 pm

valen wrote:when emailing alumni at firms that we have screeners at/firms we are applying to - what should be said? I don't want to come across as begging for favors.
Tell them you have a check for $50 with their name on it if they put in a good word for you, and hope they have student loans.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:52 pm

St Louis diversity fair selections are out. Should I approach those interviews any different from a regular OCI interview?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:23 pm

valen wrote:How typical is it to get a screener from being an alternate?
I can only speak anecdotally, but for EIW last year I was an alternate for two firms and ended up getting screeners with both. I know that isn't really helpful, but certainly it does happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:31 pm

lososos wrote:
RareExports wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Not sure about screener-callback ratio but I can't think of a reason why EIW would be lower. If anything I would guess that it might be higher because those firms are exclusively looking for WUSTL students, whereas at off campus programs we aren't the only school to choose from. I don't really know, though.
I don't know about EIW callback ratio versus off campus, but just because a firm comes to EIW doesn't really mean they are exclusively looking for WUSTL students. Many of those firms go to OCI at 5-10 schools to fill a handful of spots and I think several firms that came last year didn't take any WUSTL people.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just encouraging you guys to take every screener and callback you can until you've accepted an offer or determined you definitely wouldn't go to the firm even if they made you an offer.

lososos

New

Post by lososos » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:52 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
lososos wrote:
RareExports wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

I don't know about EIW callback ratio versus off campus, but just because a firm comes to EIW doesn't really mean they are exclusively looking for WUSTL students. Many of those firms go to OCI at 5-10 schools to fill a handful of spots and I think several firms that came last year didn't take any WUSTL people.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just encouraging you guys to take every screener and callback you can until you've accepted an offer or determined you definitely wouldn't go to the firm even if they made you an offer.
That's fair, I suppose "exclusively" isn't the word I was looking for. I just mean that the firm probably wouldn't attend OCI at WUSTL if it wouldn't consider hiring a WUSTL student, whereas a firm could attend an off-campus program that we aren't the only school attending, or a diversity fair, or whatever program, and not be willing to hire a WUSTL student.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes it would make a lot of sense if EIW had better screener -> CB ratios than walk-arounds.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:11 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Yes it would make a lot of sense if EIW had better screener -> CB ratios than walk-arounds.
Why? I'd expect the opposite. It's generally harder to get screeners at off-campus stuff, true, but that doesn't mean it should also be harder to convert a screener to a callback. A lot of the off-campus programs involve bigger firms with bigger classes whereas EIW has a lot of non-Chicago midwest firms. I know of at least one firm that went to EIW to give exactly one callback, but any firm with a summer class in the 100s isn't going to waste time going to a program to give 1 callback.

lososos wrote:That's fair, I suppose "exclusively" isn't the word I was looking for. I just mean that the firm probably wouldn't attend OCI at WUSTL if it wouldn't consider hiring a WUSTL student, whereas a firm could attend an off-campus program that we aren't the only school attending, or a diversity fair, or whatever program, and not be willing to hire a WUSTL student.
There is no firm attending an EIW or off-campus interview program that wouldn't consider hiring a WUSTL student. Plenty of them would be just fine NOT getting one, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take one or more WUSTl students they liked.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”