WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Diamond

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by sublime » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Most people eventually cave and get a car if they're not within walking distance. There's a metro stop that puts you real close to the law school, but trains run infrequently so it's not like a typical subway where you can just go. I used an app that told me when trains were arriving.
12 min at rush hours and 20 at offhours. I will say though that they are pretty much always on time, which is more than I can say about NYC.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

I have a few questions about taking non-law classes as part of credit toward JD requirements.

Are all university classes, even at the undergraduate level, available for law credit?
How do the grades translate to the law school?
When do you register for non-law classes?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm

acr wrote:Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?
I did it and it wasn't really all that much work. How cool it is depends on what project you get, the company you get to work with, what team members work with you, and a bunch of other factors. I did it spring of 3L and it was nice for the simple reason of not needing to spend any time in class.

The guy who runs it is way too high on himself though

monkeyboy123

New

Post by monkeyboy123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

chingwoo wrote:
monkeyboy123 wrote:Hey guys, this is a bit off-topic from what was being discussed here . . . but has anyone taken Bankruptcy with Professor Keating? I can't find a single outline in the Outline Bank and I don't know any upperclassmen who have taken the course. Can anyone give me some tips/advice or even possibly an outline? I would really appreciate the help.
90% sure that Keating wrote Schermer's exam.

Second of all, it is super code based, I think a standard bankruptcy outline would most likely work. If its still multiple choice, there is a 300 question multiple choice book out for purchase.
Could you tell me the book's title? Keating has told us that it will be MC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
acr wrote:Has anyone done the CELect entrepreneur consulting? How much work is it? Is it at all cool or worth it?
I did it and it wasn't really all that much work. How cool it is depends on what project you get, the company you get to work with, what team members work with you, and a bunch of other factors. I did it spring of 3L and it was nice for the simple reason of not needing to spend any time in class.

The guy who runs it is way too high on himself though
Thanks. This is what I was hoping for.

Also, has anyone taken De Geest's comparative law?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:08 pm

acr wrote:Also, has anyone taken De Geest's comparative law?
I haven't, but I would be surprised if it were any different, in substance or form, from his other classes.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Does anyone know what the grade release system is this semester? Are there set release dates (like last semester)? If so, when are those dates?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 pm

No idea about grade release, but opinions on Waters vs Collins? I want to take both their classes but only need 1 more to graduate so am looking to cut one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lillelord

New

Post by lillelord » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 am

Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-
can any grads/current students account for factors that contribute to the >20% increase in legal employment/big firm employment from 2011-2016? The LST page for WashU has the charts available here- https://www.lstreports.com/schools/washu/ which show a marked increase in outcomes, far more than sister competitor schools like ND, Vandy, Texas, Emory, etc, which means that it is not necessarily indicative simply of the nationwide end-of-recession employment increases. Is this due to admissions selectivity? increases in OCI and Career Service Quality? and in honesty, do you see this trend continuing/plateauing or crashing back down to 55-65% numbers?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 am

lillelord wrote:Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-
can any grads/current students account for factors that contribute to the >20% increase in legal employment/big firm employment from 2011-2016? The LST page for WashU has the charts available here- https://www.lstreports.com/schools/washu/ which show a marked increase in outcomes, far more than sister competitor schools like ND, Vandy, Texas, Emory, etc, which means that it is not necessarily indicative simply of the nationwide end-of-recession employment increases. Is this due to admissions selectivity? increases in OCI and Career Service Quality? and in honesty, do you see this trend continuing/plateauing or crashing back down to 55-65% numbers?
Increase in selectivity, decreased class sizes, and improved career services contribute, as well as the improved job market, as you mentioned. Also, Wash U's national reputation (particularly in New York) is improving from what I've heard. I don't imagine these numbers will drop for any reason other than a potential economic downturn or change in macro-level legal hiring.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

RareExports wrote:
lillelord wrote:Recently accepted, given scholars of law scholarship, depending on my acceptance to Vandy/Texas i'll try to boost that from the 40k annual to 50k, which with a 800/month apt (presumably very doable in St L) should come out to be about 60k debt.

MY question is-
Increase in selectivity, decreased class sizes, and improved career services contribute, as well as the improved job market, as you mentioned. Also, Wash U's national reputation (particularly in New York) is improving from what I've heard. I don't imagine these numbers will drop for any reason other than a potential economic downturn or change in macro-level legal hiring.
What’s your thinking here? Firms hire more wash u grads because our LSAT median increases by a point? Or something less quantifiable?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
RareExports wrote:

MY question is-
What’s your thinking here? Firms hire more wash u grads because our LSAT median increases by a point? Or something less quantifiable?
Yes. I've heard many firms be open about this. A two or three point increase is significant; it's effectively the difference between T20 schools and T14 schools, and I don't think anyone would argue against the proposition that the difference in hiring between those two bands of schools is substantially different.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:37 pm

I have to say I'm really impressed by WUSTL's dramatic improvement in student outcomes. Seems like a decade of using aggressive scholarship offers to buy what is essentially now a T14-caliber class has begun to pay off hiring/reputation-wise.

Wiscundergrad

New

Post by Wiscundergrad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Is there an easy to use website for finding apartments around campus?

What is the general advice for where to live?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Wiscundergrad wrote:Is there an easy to use website for finding apartments around campus?

What is the general advice for where to live?
I'm not aware of any WUSTL specific website, but there is a wash u housing facebook group. Where to live depends on what you want. Do you have a car? Do you want to be in a quiet, purely residential area? Do you want to be near bars and restaurants? Etc.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 am

lososos wrote:
acr wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
acr wrote:
ek5dn wrote:
sublime wrote:
hoos89 wrote:It's absolutely possible. You'd be better off if you had some excuse for not doing it other than sheer laziness (trial team or moot court), but it's not going to totally foreclose you from big law, and people do get it every year without doing a journal. Also, DC is a tough market to crack so don't focus too heavily on it.
Yea, I would definitely sign up for moot court (too late for Trial team, right?) and use that as much as possible.
I think it's too late for trial team. Is it competitive to sign up for moot court? I'll look into this, but if anyone has some info about how moot court works, that'd be great
+1
Just add it. You'll get in because lots of people drop it.
I know nothing about moot court. Which team should we try out for? There are like 10 teams it seems like.
So I get the impression that most of the comments about moot court up to this point have been in relation to the Wiley Rutledge Moot Court, not the moot court teams. Having done both Wiley and the National Moot Cout team, I'll comment on both. This is sort of a long post, so I'm sorry for that; I just want to be as informative as possible!

Tldr: Wiley is good experience and won't take over your life; National Team is amazing but it might. I don't know anything about the other teams, but they seem like cool experiences as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Long answer:
Wiley Rutledge is a class that you can sign up for on Webstac. Once you are enrolled, you choose a partner to do the competition with. There's an introductory meeting, which IIRC coincides with the drop deadline for the class, where you'll learn about the requirements. In a nutshell, those are: 1) with your partner, write a brief on the competition problem that is distributed, and 2) show up to, at least, the prelim round of oral arguments. If you score well you'll advance to the next round; after prelim there are four rounds, culminating in the finals. Requirement 3) is to attend the final round. Imo, it's sort of an extended version of the 1L oral arguments you guys had to do; it's a good primer on what moot court competition is like. The brief is sort of a pain since almost everyone waits to the last minute to write it, and the oral arguments can feel time consuming as well (especially if you actually bother practicing if you want to do well, or if you advance really far). But it's not an overwhelming experience, and I think it's worthwhile for pretty much everyone to do if they can.

The National team is not a class, but is a competition team that you need to try out to get onto. Tryouts are in September, and there's an intro meeting that'll tell you all about it, let you meet the coaches, etc. (the head coach is actually the same guy who runs Wiley, and who gave the presentation for 1L oral arguments, Prof Rich Finneran). Tryouts aren't suuuuper competitive, but they definitely aren't a cakewalk either. The team is only 12 students, and a max of 5 will be returning from this year. There's not a huge time commitment in the fall semester, you just have to attend a couple meetings and trainings, but over winter break and right at the beginning of spring semester, it gets going really fast. Same structure as Wiley basically (write your brief, do oral arguments) but it's on a more compressed timeline and once you start practicing for oral argument, you practice a lot. It sort of took over my life and I think it did the same for some of the other students as well. But you get awesome team bonding experience, and your skills improve dramatically. So if you can get on the team, it's an amazing experience.
Can you, or anyone else, talk about the time commitment that comes with the mock trial team? It seems intense. Is it possible to participate in the trial advocacy program and do a journal? Does it consume your life?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rorobobo

New

Post by rorobobo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Any recommendations for apartments directly adjacent to metrolink stops?

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Anyone know how well WashU places in Washington DC PI/govt jobs?

marrismarris

New

Post by marrismarris » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:26 pm

rorobobo wrote:Any recommendations for apartments directly adjacent to metrolink stops?
You’d need to give way more info than just near the metro stops for us to give you advice. How many bedrooms/roommates? Budget? Pets? Near bars or more residential?

The easiest way to find housing is to come to St Louis and drive around a bit if possible. If that’s not possible, I would contact Village Green in STL (they run the embassy, chesterfield, and waterman-Clara) or City Wide Apartments, which manage a ton of apartment buildings, especially on Pershing Ave in the DeBaliviere neighborhood. There’s also a metro stop in the Central West End, but that neighborhood is more expensive.

marrismarris

New

Post by marrismarris » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:Anyone know how well WashU places in Washington DC PI/govt jobs?
so the thing about public interest and government at Wustl is that they really can only assist you in STL and maybe Chicago. DC is just hard to get period. There’s a career advisor who was a STL prosecutor for years, and she has connections and info for that, but as a wustl student, you really have to do most of the legwork for public interest/gov on your own. That’s not the case at all law school, but is at wustl.
Also, all the different positions for those fields have different hiring processes, which makes it more complicated than just applying and interviewing through OCI like for biglaw

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blair.waldorf

Bronze

Post by blair.waldorf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm

Add me to the list of those willing to answer questions. Chose WUSTL over objectively probably better options due to financial reasons (and some personal). Current 1L who did well last semester and is targeting a completely different market.

Feel free to PM me. I got a lot of help from older students last semester and would love to pay it forward.

Keylime4

New

Post by Keylime4 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey WUSTL! I'm pretty sure I'll be joining y'all in the fall, and I'm planning a visit to St. Louis from February 14-18th. Right now, I want to be involved with outlaw, the women's law caucus, and public interest work. I would love to talk to you all about your experience at WUSTL, the groups you're involved with, how active students can be in groups and projects while maintaining grades, how you enjoy St. Louis, neighborhoods you've enjoyed living in, etc. Also, if anyone's free to meet up for drinks or a meal during my trip pm me :)

rorobobo

New

Post by rorobobo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm

marrismarris wrote:
rorobobo wrote:Any recommendations for apartments directly adjacent to metrolink stops?
You’d need to give way more info than just near the metro stops for us to give you advice. How many bedrooms/roommates? Budget? Pets? Near bars or more residential?

The easiest way to find housing is to come to St Louis and drive around a bit if possible. If that’s not possible, I would contact Village Green in STL (they run the embassy, chesterfield, and waterman-Clara) or City Wide Apartments, which manage a ton of apartment buildings, especially on Pershing Ave in the DeBaliviere neighborhood. There’s also a metro stop in the Central West End, but that neighborhood is more expensive.
Fair, looking for 0/1 BR w/o pets and sub-$1k budget. Prioritize walking distance to grocery.

Petrichor

Bronze

Post by Petrichor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm

rorobobo wrote:
marrismarris wrote:

Fair, looking for 0/1 BR w/o pets and sub-$1k budget. Prioritize walking distance to grocery.
CWE has studios for under 800 that allows pets, 10-15 min walk to metro stop, 3-4 mins walking to 2 different groceries.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”