BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 15, 2013 8:50 am

ohpobrecito wrote:Is anyone able to speak to BU's environmental law opportunities (or lack thereof)? I know it's not something they really emphasize, but is there a history of students utilizing the Legal Externship Program to do environmental law stuff? I'm also thinking about doing the JD/MPH with a focus in Environmental Health (Environmental Exposure and Risk Assessment Emphasis), so if anyone knows anything about that, I would love you.


I'm doing environmental law at BU. Honestly, I think that BC is better, but there are plenty of opportunities at BU. At the risk of outing myself, I spent my 1L summer at the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office with their Environmental Protection Division. It's a pretty important division, as they won Massachusetts v. EPA (the GHG case) back in 2007. Getting an EPA internship in Boston as a 1L is difficult, but it's easier as a 2L. There are also lots of private firms in Boston that do environmental law (WilmerHale, Mintz Levin, and Foley Hoag) if you wanted to go the firm route. I haven't done the externship program, but I know people who externed at the Department of Interior, the Conservation Law Foundation, and a land court. You could probably do EPA if that was your thing.

Getting a job in government with environmental law is more challenging. EPA doesn't really have an entry level program, but they have a two-year fellowship program in various cities. There have been students in the past who have done that. You could try for DOJ Honors, but it's highly competitive and I don't think students have made it to the Environmental and Natural Resources Division in recent years.

In terms of other opportunities at BU, there are some classes available: Admin Law, Environmental Law, and this year a land use class and an environmental justice class. I did my student note on environmental law and am trying to publish. The environmental law professor is more of an admin guy, but he's really nice and enjoys meeting with students. I did a pro bono spring break trip that had some connection to energy issues (I traveled to Oklahoma and worked with Native Americans). The Environmental and Energy Law Society has become more active -- this year, it had a happy hour with the environmental law professor, an event about the practice of environmental law at private firms, an individual career advising week which included people from DOJ and EPA, and a 1L internship list. There are maybe about five or six students in a given class who are serious about environmental or energy law.

As for dual degrees, I don't know much about that. But I know a guy with a strong interest in environmental law who is also getting an MBA at BU. Given BU's strong focus on health law, that degree combo could be great.

If you have any further questions, definitely feel free to PM me.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am

thaddeuslaw wrote:hey guys. im from socal born and raised, and just put in my deposit at bu. could anyone from california talk about their experience with the transition?


I'm from NorCal. I had lived on the East Coast for a number of years before coming to Boston. Still, the weather this year was a shock. Winter was super long and very cold at one point (5 degrees Fahrenheit). You'll need to get yourself a good winter coat.

As for jobs back in California, it's difficult. You have to focus very early on your California search. I would spend your 1L summer back home making connections. There are some firms that do recruit from SoCal (well, it's more like national firms that come and they're open to sending people to LA/San Diego). However, you have significantly fewer options than if you were to focus on Boston or NY. The way to get interviews is to network with BU Law alum and have them push your resume within the firm. I think the SoCal legal market is a little easier than the Bay Area market, but you have to work harder to get big law jobs.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 am

RedGiant wrote:I realize that you don't _need_ a car at BU. But I have a 4WD car, it's paid for, and I don't have anywhere to put it , so I am planning to bring it with me. (I will probably need it for my internships, so it just doesn't make sense to sell it.)

Therefore, can anyone elaborate on which neighborhoods might have better parking or any specific buildings or mgmt co's that have parking near them? I won't be driving to school on a daily basis--just using it for runs to the market and whatnot, every now and then. I'm thinking Brookline, but I know really nothing about Boston other than a few visits to Logan (I went to school elsewhere in New England and really only came into Boston to fly out). Any help appreciated.

Also, any reason why Craigslist seems to be so useless for finding apartments? The ones on there are INSANE price-wise. Is the BU housing exchange the way to go? I really want to go to BU, but am riding out one WL, so I might be looking at an early July search...is this a terrible idea?


Get a place in Cambridge. Street parking is only $15 a year, and it's easy finding a place to park on the street. I drive to campus from Cambridge (around HBS), and it's about $400/semester. There's plenty of parking on campus. If you're willing to brave the weather, you can walk to BU from Cambridge. Bus routes are few, though I think if you get a place along the 47 route you would be okay taking the bus.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am

jgalgano wrote:
cinephile wrote:
jgalgano wrote:Hey I am a rising 3L at the University of Iowa. We have a BU visiting professor: M Outterson, who will be teaching BA and Food and Drug law next Fall here at Iowa. Can anyone give me some advice about whether or not to take any classes with him (I am thinking of taking both). What is he like, what is the format of his finals? Any advice about him would be appreciated.

Thanks


Shouldn't that be K Outterson? Either he has an official first name different from the one he goes by, or there's more than 1 Outterson.

I can only speak to the class (corps) I took with him -- he had a closed book exam and no laptop policy. Which were definitely points against him. He's also given take home exams in other classes (health law). He's also a bit snarky and might make fun of you a bit in class, but you're never sure if he's joking or not. You know? He's also super religious, if that means anything to you.


No it is K Outterson (for some reason he is listed as M Outterson in our class listings). Thanks for the insight. If anybody has taken him for Food and Drug law let me know. I am interested in IP and think this class would be beneficial.


I just had Outterson. He's tough, though I'm still waiting for my grade. The no laptop policy was bad, because he tends to rush through things and I couldn't write down stuff quickly enough. He also gives A LOT of reading. I took Corporations, and we typically had 50-70 pages of dense reading. We covered a lot more cases than other classes. Then the exam was tough, because he asked random questions from the whole course. So if you take him, expect to work hard.
Last edited by LSATNightmares on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:59 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:
RedGiant wrote:I realize that you don't _need_ a car at BU. But I have a 4WD car, it's paid for, and I don't have anywhere to put it , so I am planning to bring it with me. (I will probably need it for my internships, so it just doesn't make sense to sell it.)

Therefore, can anyone elaborate on which neighborhoods might have better parking or any specific buildings or mgmt co's that have parking near them? I won't be driving to school on a daily basis--just using it for runs to the market and whatnot, every now and then. I'm thinking Brookline, but I know really nothing about Boston other than a few visits to Logan (I went to school elsewhere in New England and really only came into Boston to fly out). Any help appreciated.

Also, any reason why Craigslist seems to be so useless for finding apartments? The ones on there are INSANE price-wise. Is the BU housing exchange the way to go? I really want to go to BU, but am riding out one WL, so I might be looking at an early July search...is this a terrible idea?


Get a place in Cambridge. Street parking is only $15 a year, and it's easy finding a place to park on the street. I drive to campus from Cambridge (around HBS), and it's about $400/semester. There's plenty of parking on campus. If you're willing to brave the weather, you can walk to BU from Cambridge. Bus routes are few, though I think if you get a place along the 47 route you would be okay taking the bus.



Not that I will be bringin a car, i just visited Boston and found Cambridge around the Central Square area very nice.

Im sure its a long shot, but I was trying to find a 1200 or less per month studio or one bedroom around the area. Im pretty set on living alone for 1L... can you offer any advice?? Thank you very much

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 am

rambleon65 wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:
RedGiant wrote:I realize that you don't _need_ a car at BU. But I have a 4WD car, it's paid for, and I don't have anywhere to put it , so I am planning to bring it with me. (I will probably need it for my internships, so it just doesn't make sense to sell it.)

Therefore, can anyone elaborate on which neighborhoods might have better parking or any specific buildings or mgmt co's that have parking near them? I won't be driving to school on a daily basis--just using it for runs to the market and whatnot, every now and then. I'm thinking Brookline, but I know really nothing about Boston other than a few visits to Logan (I went to school elsewhere in New England and really only came into Boston to fly out). Any help appreciated.

Also, any reason why Craigslist seems to be so useless for finding apartments? The ones on there are INSANE price-wise. Is the BU housing exchange the way to go? I really want to go to BU, but am riding out one WL, so I might be looking at an early July search...is this a terrible idea?


Get a place in Cambridge. Street parking is only $15 a year, and it's easy finding a place to park on the street. I drive to campus from Cambridge (around HBS), and it's about $400/semester. There's plenty of parking on campus. If you're willing to brave the weather, you can walk to BU from Cambridge. Bus routes are few, though I think if you get a place along the 47 route you would be okay taking the bus.



Not that I will be bringin a car, i just visited Boston and found Cambridge around the Central Square area very nice.

Im sure its a long shot, but I was trying to find a 1200 or less per month studio or one bedroom around the area. Im pretty set on living alone for 1L... can you offer any advice?? Thank you very much


Hmm, tough. Most people paying that price either a) have a roommate, or b) drive in from a place lacking tons of college students competing for rooms. Rent has skyrocketed recently. I assume you looked at graduate housing? I'm not sure what the prices are for that, but I imagine it's expensive.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Blindmelon » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm

rambleon65 wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:
RedGiant wrote:I realize that you don't _need_ a car at BU. But I have a 4WD car, it's paid for, and I don't have anywhere to put it , so I am planning to bring it with me. (I will probably need it for my internships, so it just doesn't make sense to sell it.)

Therefore, can anyone elaborate on which neighborhoods might have better parking or any specific buildings or mgmt co's that have parking near them? I won't be driving to school on a daily basis--just using it for runs to the market and whatnot, every now and then. I'm thinking Brookline, but I know really nothing about Boston other than a few visits to Logan (I went to school elsewhere in New England and really only came into Boston to fly out). Any help appreciated.

Also, any reason why Craigslist seems to be so useless for finding apartments? The ones on there are INSANE price-wise. Is the BU housing exchange the way to go? I really want to go to BU, but am riding out one WL, so I might be looking at an early July search...is this a terrible idea?


Get a place in Cambridge. Street parking is only $15 a year, and it's easy finding a place to park on the street. I drive to campus from Cambridge (around HBS), and it's about $400/semester. There's plenty of parking on campus. If you're willing to brave the weather, you can walk to BU from Cambridge. Bus routes are few, though I think if you get a place along the 47 route you would be okay taking the bus.



Not that I will be bringin a car, i just visited Boston and found Cambridge around the Central Square area very nice.

Im sure its a long shot, but I was trying to find a 1200 or less per month studio or one bedroom around the area. Im pretty set on living alone for 1L... can you offer any advice?? Thank you very much


1200/month in central is doable. Sommerville is probably a better bet though.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm

While I am looking for housing... just curious how hard it is (especially early June like now) to snatch a studio at the 580 Commonwealth graduating housing? It seems very nice...

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby cinephile » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:31 pm

rambleon65 wrote:While I am looking for housing... just curious how hard it is (especially early June like now) to snatch a studio at the 580 Commonwealth graduating housing? It seems very nice...


You should've already got on the waiting list if you want 580 Commonwealth. It's likely too late now. Get on the waitlist now, but look into your other options.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:34 pm

cinephile wrote:
rambleon65 wrote:While I am looking for housing... just curious how hard it is (especially early June like now) to snatch a studio at the 580 Commonwealth graduating housing? It seems very nice...


You should've already got on the waiting list if you want 580 Commonwealth. It's likely too late now. Get on the waitlist now, but look into your other options.


Thanks--just got on the list.
Studio prices (especially when factoring in paid for electricity and $ saved on commute) seem just about the same. And especially enticing for a transplant from out of town.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 am

^ You may want to end up getting a monthly link T pass anyway. I could walk to school, but it's so convenient to just have it and know that I can get around anywhere whenever I want and there's no need to top up constantly.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 am

cinephile wrote:^ You may want to end up getting a monthly link T pass anyway. I could walk to school, but it's so convenient to just have it and know that I can get around anywhere whenever I want and there's no need to top up constantly.


Gotcha.

Since there seems to be a good answer with each Q, why not:

- Is Brighton/Allston as undergrad/college-y as everyone makes it out to be? I assume most of the bars/restaurants won't have undergrads because many aren't 21, but... annoying house parties around all the time?

- How's the gym?? Good pick up basketball? Good facilities?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby cinephile » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:48 pm

rambleon65 wrote:
cinephile wrote:^ You may want to end up getting a monthly link T pass anyway. I could walk to school, but it's so convenient to just have it and know that I can get around anywhere whenever I want and there's no need to top up constantly.


Gotcha.

Since there seems to be a good answer with each Q, why not:

- Is Brighton/Allston as undergrad/college-y as everyone makes it out to be? I assume most of the bars/restaurants won't have undergrads because many aren't 21, but... annoying house parties around all the time?

- How's the gym?? Good pick up basketball? Good facilities?


Allston is very, very college-y. Brighton is somewhat less so, not because it isn't filled with college students (it is) but there aren't so many bars and things are just quieter. And there are some non-student people who live out here (Brighton) too, but I can't imagine any non-student people living in Allston. That being said, Allston is more lively, so if you don't mind the noise, it's nice to live closer to school and your friends and being able to walk home from the bar at night.

I really like the Fit Rec. It's one of the things at BU I would highly recommend. It looks like a brand new facility, tons of machines, very modern and sleek looking. And you can take free fitness classes by signing up for course credit, just be sure to "audit" the class so you don't end up with a fail on your transcript for skipping out on women's weight lifting (yes, this really happened to me, but it's not on my law transcript so I don't think it matters too much). There's a couple of pools, climbing wall, zumba classes, etc. I don't play basketball, but I imagine you can reserve a court. Also, great sailing and rowing facilities. And in winter you can take skiing lessons through the school. It's great.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:13 am

cinephile wrote:
rambleon65 wrote:
cinephile wrote:^ You may want to end up getting a monthly link T pass anyway. I could walk to school, but it's so convenient to just have it and know that I can get around anywhere whenever I want and there's no need to top up constantly.


Gotcha.

Since there seems to be a good answer with each Q, why not:

- Is Brighton/Allston as undergrad/college-y as everyone makes it out to be? I assume most of the bars/restaurants won't have undergrads because many aren't 21, but... annoying house parties around all the time?

- How's the gym?? Good pick up basketball? Good facilities?


Allston is very, very college-y. Brighton is somewhat less so, not because it isn't filled with college students (it is) but there aren't so many bars and things are just quieter. And there are some non-student people who live out here (Brighton) too, but I can't imagine any non-student people living in Allston. That being said, Allston is more lively, so if you don't mind the noise, it's nice to live closer to school and your friends and being able to walk home from the bar at night.

I really like the Fit Rec. It's one of the things at BU I would highly recommend. It looks like a brand new facility, tons of machines, very modern and sleek looking. And you can take free fitness classes by signing up for course credit, just be sure to "audit" the class so you don't end up with a fail on your transcript for skipping out on women's weight lifting (yes, this really happened to me, but it's not on my law transcript so I don't think it matters too much). There's a couple of pools, climbing wall, zumba classes, etc. I don't play basketball, but I imagine you can reserve a court. Also, great sailing and rowing facilities. And in winter you can take skiing lessons through the school. It's great.


This sounds great. Thanks!


Has anyone used the BU discount for the zip cars? Are the zip cars really as convenient as people say? My current city has it but I've never used it.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 am

rambleon65 wrote:
cinephile wrote:^ You may want to end up getting a monthly link T pass anyway. I could walk to school, but it's so convenient to just have it and know that I can get around anywhere whenever I want and there's no need to top up constantly.


Gotcha.

Since there seems to be a good answer with each Q, why not:

- Is Brighton/Allston as undergrad/college-y as everyone makes it out to be? I assume most of the bars/restaurants won't have undergrads because many aren't 21, but... annoying house parties around all the time?

- How's the gym?? Good pick up basketball? Good facilities?


The gym (known as FitRec) is among the very best fitness centers in all of New England, and may very well be the largest. Has tons of cardio equipment, numerous rooms for weight training, a rock climbing wall, olympic swimming pool, juice bar, running track, something like 6 basketball courts, racquetball/squash courts, lots of classrooms for things like spin, kickboxing, zumba, etc., ping pong tables, lounge areas, etc. Its really one of the premier features of BU's campus in general.

rambleon65
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rambleon65 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

I know 1L schedules are by blocks... When over the summer do we know exactly what our class schedule is?? August?

And how's the zip car system in Boston? Looks like BU students get a hefty discount and I'm 99.9% sure I won't be bringing my car to Boston...

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 am

rambleon65 wrote:I know 1L schedules are by blocks... When over the summer do we know exactly what our class schedule is?? August?

And how's the zip car system in Boston? Looks like BU students get a hefty discount and I'm 99.9% sure I won't be bringing my car to Boston...

Zip cars are plentiful in boston. Especially anywhere near bu or popular place to live. I used them often when I didn't have a car to do grocery shopping, go to ikea etc.

User avatar
RedGiant
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby RedGiant » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 pm

rambleon65 wrote:I know 1L schedules are by blocks... When over the summer do we know exactly what our class schedule is?? August?

And how's the zip car system in Boston? Looks like BU students get a hefty discount and I'm 99.9% sure I won't be bringing my car to Boston...


Is there a way we can know which of the 1L classes are in Fall, and which are in Spring? All of the material I can find lists 1L classes as a whole, but I am curious which ones we get when. Thank you!

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 pm

RedGiant wrote:
rambleon65 wrote:I know 1L schedules are by blocks... When over the summer do we know exactly what our class schedule is?? August?

And how's the zip car system in Boston? Looks like BU students get a hefty discount and I'm 99.9% sure I won't be bringing my car to Boston...


Is there a way we can know which of the 1L classes are in Fall, and which are in Spring? All of the material I can find lists 1L classes as a whole, but I am curious which ones we get when. Thank you!


My 1L year began in 2010, so things may have changed since then. But my Fall semester was Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts, and LRW (writing), and Spring was Property, Con Law, Crim, Legislation, and LRW.

User avatar
hadisious
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby hadisious » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 am

kaiser wrote:
RedGiant wrote:
rambleon65 wrote:I know 1L schedules are by blocks... When over the summer do we know exactly what our class schedule is?? August?

And how's the zip car system in Boston? Looks like BU students get a hefty discount and I'm 99.9% sure I won't be bringing my car to Boston...


Is there a way we can know which of the 1L classes are in Fall, and which are in Spring? All of the material I can find lists 1L classes as a whole, but I am curious which ones we get when. Thank you!


My 1L year began in 2010, so things may have changed since then. But my Fall semester was Civ Pro, Torts, Contracts, and LRW (writing), and Spring was Property, Con Law, Crim, Legislation, and LRW.


This was the schedule last year also.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby rion91 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Any BU students around anymore??

ValeVale
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ValeVale » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:57 am

Is there any BU exam answer bank?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TripTrip and 5 guests