BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
helloworld725

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby helloworld725 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:09 am

Cupidity wrote:
elm84dr wrote:
helloworld725 wrote:I submitted my first deposit, however I am really nervous about financial aid. I did not receive any scholarships and am about to send in some other offers in hopes of negotiation. I toured BU and absolutely loved it, but I don't know if it is worth 160k+ in loans.

My other highest school is W&M with a scholarship of only 8k, but COA is also considerably less there. Any advice regarding how to make extra money during time at BU or if you think it is worth sticker/I can pay off loans after graduation?

You should have withheld your deposit, called them and said you would deposit if they upped your schools to be comparable with Emory or W&M. You can still try to do that, but you don't have the deposit hanging over them.

I negotiated well after my first and second deposits.

That's great to know, thanks!!

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:40 am

BU 2L here.

Stumbled across this while procrastinating studying for finals. I've seen a few questions on here about the building and facilities, so I'm going to go ahead and chime in quickly. I transferred to BU after spending 1L at a school with a brand new building, so I feel like I have a stronger basis for comparison than most. I'm not going to sugarcoat it -- the tower sucks. And it's problems go way beyond its external appearance. There are many great things about this school. The building is not one of them.

It seems like the people who were here 1L don't mind it as much, so if you come straight to BU as a 1L, perhaps it won't bother you. But it absolutely will if you know how much nicer the facilities are elsewhere.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks to all the BU students for some good info.

I apologize if this has already been asked, but what are study abroad opportunities like at BU?

Is it a good idea to study? By this I mean does it help with employment opportunities, and is the program financially reasonable?

Thanks again. I was originally born not too far outside of Boston and love the city. I would not mind at all going to school up there.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am

There's a fair amount of study-abroad opportunities. The cost is exactly the same as regular tuition.

topper10s

Postby topper10s » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:00 am

What kind of things are 1Ls doing for their summer jobs? Are there some interesting opportunities assuming few/no one is working at large firms? Are most legal-related? Lastly, are most in Boston/NE or is it easier to go back to your home market for the summer?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 pm

topper10s wrote:What kind of things are 1Ls doing for their summer jobs? Are there some interesting opportunities assuming few/no one is working at large firms? Are most legal-related? Lastly, are most in Boston/NE or is it easier to go back to your home market for the summer?

I did a federal judicial internship. A lot of people I know did the same thing, and most them of them did it back in their home markets (since judges love local kids).

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:16 pm

cinephile wrote:There's a fair amount of study-abroad opportunities. The cost is exactly the same as regular tuition.

Would you say a good amount of people study abroad?

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Sat May 05, 2012 4:00 pm

I would say the most popular internship among 1L's are judicial internships and/or plus summer research assistantships with professors (the latter pay, and you get closer to professors in case you need recommendations). Some people do both, as you can be a part-time RA (20 hours a week). I have a friend doing a big law internship. I'll be with a particular state Attorney General's Office. Someone else I know will be with the U.S. Attorney General's Office. I know another person with some public defender office and another with a DA office. There are few more people in non-profits or small firms in the particular niches they are interested in (e.g. immigration law, education law, environmental law).

The vast majority are in Boston. Some are going to DC or elsewhere along the East Coast. Some are going back where they are from. Most people I know didn't bother with big law.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 pm

SoCal native here, will likely be joining you all at BU in the fall (really need to get on top my apartment search..crap).

two questions:

My end-goal is biglaw, but i'll be happy working at a mid-tier or boutique business law firm in SoCal. I realize it'll be a challenge to find a job in SoCal given that BU's largely regional but I was lucky enough to get $$ and I figured BU$$>Loyola LA$$$$ in the long-run. I have 2 years of experience in consulting.

Does it matter what you do after 1L year? Is it hard to find a paid summer gig?

Thanks.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm

It's not hard to get a paid summer gig after 1L if that's your goal. If you have the grades, you could apply for big law for your 1L summer. If you want to work in nonprofit or government your 1L summer, BU has its Public Interest Project which gives grants of $4,000. However, you have to do some work for them (community service, essays, etc.), but everyone who applied got a grant this year. There are other fellowships, like the Rappaport Fellows in Law and Public Policy in Boston which pays $7,000 for the summer (you have to work in government in MA). And you'd be surprised what other opportunities there are! Just today, I got an email from CDO telling us there was a summer internship opportunity available in transaction work that would pay $1,400 a week!

It doesn't matter what you do after your 1L year, as long as it's legal.

I'm originally from NorCal and plan to spend 2L summer back in San Francisco through off-campus OCI. They also have off-campus OCI in LA through a consortium with other schools (i.e. BC, GWU, Northwestern, and University of Texas). You interview with firms in LA in mid August. I'm doing the SF one.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue May 15, 2012 3:29 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:It's not hard to get a paid summer gig after 1L if that's your goal.

I think this is incredibly unrealistic, If you claimed 25% of 1L's had paying gigs (including PIP grants) I think that would be generous, and the other 75% certainly aren't working for free because they are allergic to money.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue May 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah, true. That's why I clarified, "If that's your goal." There are plenty of people who just have the goal of getting great legal experience, and money would just be nice. I think if getting a paid gig was a top priority, you can do it. I'm one of those people who believes that if you set your mind on it, you can do it.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:It's not hard to get a paid summer gig after 1L if that's your goal. If you have the grades, you could apply for big law for your 1L summer. If you want to work in nonprofit or government your 1L summer, BU has its Public Interest Project which gives grants of $4,000. However, you have to do some work for them (community service, essays, etc.), but everyone who applied got a grant this year. There are other fellowships, like the Rappaport Fellows in Law and Public Policy in Boston which pays $7,000 for the summer (you have to work in government in MA). And you'd be surprised what other opportunities there are! Just today, I got an email from CDO telling us there was a summer internship opportunity available in transaction work that would pay $1,400 a week!

I'm originally from NorCal and plan to spend 2L summer back in San Francisco through off-campus OCI. They also have off-campus OCI in LA through a consortium with other schools (i.e. BC, GWU, Northwestern, and University of Texas). You interview with firms in LA in mid August. I'm doing the SF one.

So BU will provide opportunities like ^ for students interested in working in cali? I thought i'd be cold-calling BU alums in LA and just networking my butt off. good to hear.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 pm

What is the general feeling/mood of students with regards to employment prospects? I've looked at the data but sometimes statistics can be misleading. Is there any inkling things are improving from the bottoming out of the NLJ numbers we say released this year? How are people coping with this environment at BU specifically?

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:It's not hard to get a paid summer gig after 1L if that's your goal. If you have the grades, you could apply for big law for your 1L summer. If you want to work in nonprofit or government your 1L summer, BU has its Public Interest Project which gives grants of $4,000. However, you have to do some work for them (community service, essays, etc.), but everyone who applied got a grant this year. There are other fellowships, like the Rappaport Fellows in Law and Public Policy in Boston which pays $7,000 for the summer (you have to work in government in MA). And you'd be surprised what other opportunities there are! Just today, I got an email from CDO telling us there was a summer internship opportunity available in transaction work that would pay $1,400 a week!

So BU will provide opportunities like ^ for students interested in working in cali? I thought i'd be cold-calling BU alums in LA and just networking my butt off. good to hear.

Yeah, but I won't vouch for the quality yet. We'll see how OCI in SF in August goes for me, at least. It's a competitive market, and of course everyone wants to be there. In contrast, I have a friend from Minnesota, and his problem was trying to convince employers he was serious about going back home to Minnesota.

I don't have stats on the market. I get the feeling that it's at least a little better, but still not awesome. Hopefully, it'll be even better for you guys. In terms of coping, 1L's just sit there in the dark, working hard as they can on grades so they won't have to worry later.

landla

Postby landla » Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Cupidity wrote:I negotiated well after my first and second deposits.

What did you negotiate with after 2nd deposit?

decca

Postby decca » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but if a BU rising 3L has taken a health law course with Professor Moncrieff, I'd really appreciate it if you could PM me. (She is a visiting professor at Penn Law this year). Thanks!

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:37 pm

What areas do most students live in?

Do any students commute from Brookline or maybe even Quincy?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:23 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:What areas do most students live in?

Do any students commute from Brookline or maybe even Quincy?

Brookline is like 2 minutes away, walking. So it's not a commute.

Quincy sounds really really far. If anyone here lives there, it's because they already own a home out there/spouse works there/parents live there.

It's more common to live in Allston/Brighton.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 am

Not sure if anyone is still available to answer questions but here goes....

I was thinking of applying ED to BU. Does anyone know what the averages are for ED acceptance? Since they give you a full tuition I imagine it would be more competitive.

Also, say you are not accepted ED does it hurt your chances in regular decisions, as well as your ability to get financial aid?

hadisious

Postby hadisious » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Not sure if anyone is still available to answer questions but here goes....

I was thinking of applying ED to BU. Does anyone know what the averages are for ED acceptance? Since they give you a full tuition I imagine it would be more competitive.

Also, say you are not accepted ED does it hurt your chances in regular decisions, as well as your ability to get financial aid?

I'm not sure of the percentages. But I know someone who was accepted ED, and I also know someone who was denied ED, but still got accepted regular decision with financial aid.

Good luck!

ClaireyMary

Postby ClaireyMary » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Hello All!

I am a 0L, if that's even a term (I will be starting in the fall, likely at BU). I was hoping a current student could shed some insight into the typical weekly schedule of a 1L. Is it unrealistic to plan on working part-time during fall semester of 1L, even if it is only for 7-12 hours a week? My job is not very flexible- I will be assigned an allotted window for the fall in April/May. Obviously, I will not yet know my class schedule at that time. Is registration for classes flexible? Are there many options in terms of class times and days? Or is it more of a "you get what you are given" situation?

Thanks in advance for any info!

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:30 pm

stillwater wrote:What is the general feeling/mood of students with regards to employment prospects? I've looked at the data but sometimes statistics can be misleading. Is there any inkling things are improving from the bottoming out of the NLJ numbers we say released this year? How are people coping with this environment at BU specifically?

bumping this as i'm interested in this too.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

ClaireyMary wrote:Hello All!

I am a 0L, if that's even a term (I will be starting in the fall, likely at BU). I was hoping a current student could shed some insight into the typical weekly schedule of a 1L. Is it unrealistic to plan on working part-time during fall semester of 1L, even if it is only for 7-12 hours a week? My job is not very flexible- I will be assigned an allotted window for the fall in April/May. Obviously, I will not yet know my class schedule at that time. Is registration for classes flexible? Are there many options in terms of class times and days? Or is it more of a "you get what you are given" situation?

Different section have different schedules. Mine was something like class from 9:15- 10:30, MWF, then class from 2-3:30 MW, and 11-1pm Tu/Th first semester. Then section semester it was 9:15-10:30 MTuWThF and 2-3:30 MTuWTh. Basically, they seem to make it so that you never have a whole morning free nor a whole afternoon - except for Friday afternoons. If it's something you can do remotely on your computer, then you can squeeze it in anytime. Otherwise, it's hard to manage a 4 hour shift during the week. Maybe you can work a bit on the weekends. Almost EVERYONE blows off Friday morning class. So if you do that, you could have all day Friday free to work plus Saturday Sunday. Sounds rough, though.

There is no registration for classes. You're put into your section and have no say in when your classes are.

ClaireyMary

Postby ClaireyMary » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 am

cinephile wrote:
ClaireyMary wrote:Hello All!

Different section have different schedules. Mine was something like class from 9:15- 10:30, MWF, then class from 2-3:30 MW, and 11-1pm Tu/Th first semester. Then section semester it was 9:15-10:30 MTuWThF and 2-3:30 MTuWTh. Basically, they seem to make it so that you never have a whole morning free nor a whole afternoon - except for Friday afternoons. If it's something you can do remotely on your computer, then you can squeeze it in anytime. Otherwise, it's hard to manage a 4 hour shift during the week. Maybe you can work a bit on the weekends. Almost EVERYONE blows off Friday morning class. So if you do that, you could have all day Friday free to work plus Saturday Sunday. Sounds rough, though.

There is no registration for classes. You're put into your section and have no say in when your classes are.

Thank you! That's what I suspected. I think I will just have to resign myself to ramen and baked beans.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”