BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm

BEH321 wrote:What is the dress code for the orientation events? They mention business casual for the photobook pictures....for women what is ideal for this? Blazers? Polos? Also, for the socials at night....is that formal or more of a casual event...what would you recommend wearing?


You can wear casual clothes to everything except the photo, and even then, most of the people wear casual clothes to the photo. The photo is a shoulders up headshot that employers will get if you get interviews with them for OCI. The common solution for men was to wear polo shirts, or dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up that way a collar was visible in the photo. I imagine a similar solution would work for women. Since its only a head-shot, theres no reason to worry about skirts or heels.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Did I misinterpret the orientation email, or do we really not find out our section and professors until orientation day??

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:40 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Did I misinterpret the orientation email, or do we really not find out our section and professors until orientation day??


Wow, I knew my section a good week or 2 before orientation and already had my books waiting by the time orientation came around. I saved all my books and they are in great condition, so be sure to let me know when you find out what section you are in and what profs you have.

jmpd4851
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby jmpd4851 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Cupidity wrote:
BEH321 wrote:What is the dress code for the orientation events? They mention business casual for the photobook pictures....for women what is ideal for this? Blazers? Polos? Also, for the socials at night....is that formal or more of a casual event...what would you recommend wearing?


You can wear casual clothes to everything except the photo, and even then, most of the people wear casual clothes to the photo. The photo is a shoulders up headshot that employers will get if you get interviews with them for OCI. The common solution for men was to wear polo shirts, or dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up that way a collar was visible in the photo. I imagine a similar solution would work for women. Since its only a head-shot, theres no reason to worry about skirts or heels.


Sorry...I just want to clarify because I was struggling with this as well....can anyone else shed light on what is best for women to wear? Would an oxford shirt be appropriate? Also, I assume some women won't want to be in a dress shirt....is there time to throw on a shirt before the photo if wanted?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I think the important concept to grasp is that it isn't a huge deal. It's just a black and white headshot, so as long as you have something with a collar or appropriate neck line, it will be fine. Without any women on this thread, I'm not sure you'll get great advice, sorry :( .

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:34 pm

I've got
Contracts-Pettit
Civil Procedure-Harper
Torts-Simons

Any tips?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:42 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I've got
Contracts-Pettit
Civil Procedure-Harper
Torts-Simons

Any tips?


Comment made in the Class of 2014 thread.

smiley
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby smiley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:01 am

jmpd4851 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
BEH321 wrote:What is the dress code for the orientation events? They mention business casual for the photobook pictures....for women what is ideal for this? Blazers? Polos? Also, for the socials at night....is that formal or more of a casual event...what would you recommend wearing?


You can wear casual clothes to everything except the photo, and even then, most of the people wear casual clothes to the photo. The photo is a shoulders up headshot that employers will get if you get interviews with them for OCI. The common solution for men was to wear polo shirts, or dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up that way a collar was visible in the photo. I imagine a similar solution would work for women. Since its only a head-shot, theres no reason to worry about skirts or heels.


Sorry...I just want to clarify because I was struggling with this as well....can anyone else shed light on what is best for women to wear? Would an oxford shirt be appropriate? Also, I assume some women won't want to be in a dress shirt....is there time to throw on a shirt before the photo if wanted?


this is not a big deal at all. i wore a sleeveless shirt. it was hot. the picture came out fine and no one looks at it anyway.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby kaiser » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Just wanted to post a reminder, but I have a whole bunch of textbooks from last year so let me know what professors you have (for both semesters) and I can set you up with books in MUCH better shape than BU's used books, and for a lower price than BU would ever charge. I just want to get rid of them.

jonfen
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby jonfen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi all,

I currently have Prof Keith Hylton for torts, and it says he's a visiting professor from BU. Has anyone had him? Any advice or comments re his exam style?

Thank you!

asdfffff
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:32 pm

.

Postby asdfffff » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 am

.
Last edited by asdfffff on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm

167 / 3.44 gpa and just got accepted

Initially really excited, but now I'm concerned about if (and how much) of a scholarship I'll receive

Minn offered me 23 k a year though. Do you think Boston would either match this / come close (I realize many applicants will have better numbers)

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Worker and Parasite » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Where do you folks live? Is the on-campus grad housing any good? I'd like to live as close as possible to campus but I don't want to pay something ridiculous.

Also, how's the train?

edit: scratch my first question, looks like I should probably read the thread first

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:Where do you folks live? Is the on-campus grad housing any good? I'd like to live as close as possible to campus but I don't want to pay something ridiculous.

Also, how's the train?

edit: scratch my first question, looks like I should probably read the thread first


On-campus housing is more expensive that it would be to find the same size apartment in the same neighborhood. It might be simpler than going through an agency, but the cost and inability to sublet it isn't great. Oh, and grad housing is no pets.

I live in Allston, and it's not great. Just kind of an ugly area that caters to a younger group. I'd recommend living near Kenmore Square if you can, and if not then in Brookline.

The B line is just awful. Way too crowded, stops ever 100 feet, and ends up taking as long as walking. But I guess it's good if you live really far away. Supposedly other lines are better, but I generally only take the Green Line.

Good luck with the rest of your cycle and next year!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby eaper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:45 am

I'll be visiting during my spring break, assuming that tours are still being ran during BU's spring break. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on hotels, places to visit (Never been to Boston), etc. Thanks in advance!

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby freaknroll » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Do any current/former students have any comments regarding how insular the Boston biglaw market is? Especially regarding someone coming from out of state with zero ties other than law school.

landla
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby landla » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Do any current/former students have suggestions regarding negotiating with BU? I haven't heard back regarding scholarship, though it seems that not a lot of people have. When should I start getting nervous? contact them to negotiate?

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you more information, but I know that a lot of people have been wondering about BU scholarships so thought that doing this publicly might aid others as well.

Thanks!

shbe0701
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby shbe0701 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:57 pm

tag

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby eaper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 pm

landla wrote:Do any current/former students have suggestions regarding negotiating with BU? I haven't heard back regarding scholarship, though it seems that not a lot of people have. When should I start getting nervous? contact them to negotiate?

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you more information, but I know that a lot of people have been wondering about BU scholarships so thought that doing this publicly might aid others as well.

Thanks!


+1

johnson.jelly
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby johnson.jelly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Posted this in the Class of 2015 thread but am thinking this a better fit:

Thanks in advance for all the help/suggestions on BU Law! :)


Am signing up for reception/preview day on the 29th/30th and am wondering how everyone else is planning it? It's a lot of hustle between the diff places (esp if you don't have a car/don't know someone in Boston).This is what I got so far:

DAY 1:

-Arrive airport - 1 hour T-train to Hotel

-Arrive Hotel - 40 min T-train to Reception (at law firm)

-Leave Reception - 40 min T-train to Hotel

DAY 2:

-Leave Hotel - T-train to BU Law

-Leave BU Law - T-train to South Station (Getting on a bus)

If any current students can chime in too, that would be great! Especially since you are more familiar with how everything works!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby eaper » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Anybody know of decent bars near Saugus? That's where I'm staying and don't feel like I could a) afford a $50 taxi ride to my hotel or b) work the t-system if I got drunk. TIA.

mrjohnsterman
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:07 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby mrjohnsterman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm

How realistic are BU's living expense numbers? Boston is a pretty expensive city and I am just wondering if they are realistic. (I know they are for 9 months)

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:How realistic are BU's living expense numbers? Boston is a pretty expensive city and I am just wondering if they are realistic. (I know they are for 9 months)


I paid 670/month with everything included my 1L year. Find a place with a bunch of people in Allston - its cheap. If you want to live by yourself, its really expensive (starting around 900/month for minuscule studio).

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:39 am

I am not sure if this was asked recently (sorry if it was) but, about how many market-paying firms come to campus/hire out of BU? What are the typical grade cut-offs for market-paying jobs at BU as well?

Thanks a lot for taking questions! :)

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 am

mrjohnsterman wrote:How realistic are BU's living expense numbers? Boston is a pretty expensive city and I am just wondering if they are realistic. (I know they are for 9 months)


1L here at BU. I think it's typical to pay $900 or $1000 per person per month for an apartment, if you have a roommate. If you have a number of problematic health conditions, BU's plus health plan will save you huge amounts. I'm probably not your typical law student, as I'm married, have a car, etc. I think our living expenses are about $2600 a month, but this covers both my husband and myself.
Last edited by LSATNightmares on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests