BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cupidity

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:26 pm

So I'm sending my deposit in this week, and I'm pumped for the fall. But this now means I have to look into housing. I know some quesitons about housing have already been answered ITT, but I have some more:

Even though it's more expensive, I think I want to live in a BU-owned apt at least for 1L year (specifically in one in the St. Mary's cluster). I'm from DC, so I don't know the Boston area very well, and I feel more secure renting from the University than from an independent owner before I get my bearings in a new city. Is this a good idea? Do a lot of law students opt for BU-owned housing?

Several of us do, there are a limited number of apartments so obviously a majority don't. They are great, and they are truly apartments and not quasi-dorms like I have seen at some other schools. They do cost a bit more $200/300 per month, though this is somewhat offset by the fact that BU does not charge a fee, which 95% of places in this city will and it will be equal to one months rent. You also only need first months + security and if your lease starts in august you can defer payment until financial aid is disbursed, you commonly need 4 mos. rent to get an apt in this city so it isn't as hard to get the upfront cash. I live at St. Mary's I believe they are all 2brs, Bay State has some 1brs that are fabulous. The 2brs are cheaper if you can find a roommate.

I've been reading a lot on the ORPM site, and they mention that properties cannot be rented "sight unseen." When do most students go to view the properties? Sometime during the summer? Right before they move in?

This gets complicated, because they won't reserve an apartment for even a few hours let alone days. And although they make great property managers the UG work studies working there are pretty stupid. This means you have to fly to Boston, see what is available, and sign on the spot. There was only one 2br available the week I scheduled my flight up and I was in constant fear someone would take it from me before I could see it and sign. Be flexible, call regularly, find out if a unit that fits your price/room#'s is available and come quickly. Summary, good luck.

For how long are leases?

12 months unless you are me, but you aren't, so 12 months.

I'm going to submit my info to the roommate referral service through the admitted students site probably this week, as I'd like to have a roommate to help mitigate costs. Has this generally been a successful way of finding a roommate? Are there better ways to go about this?

Yes it is generally successful, no there aren't better ways to go about it.

Kater

Postby Kater » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Is there any way to negotiate for increased financial aid at BU? BU's definitely my top choice school, but only offered me $25k need-based per year. I've gotten merit scholarships in addition to need-based money from other schools, some of which are "higher ranked," which might give me bargaining power (?), but I only received need-based aid from BU. Is there any way to negotiate for a merit scholarship or increase my need-based award? Do you know any law students who have done this, or do you have any advice as to how I can best communicate my needs to the financial aid office?

Any direction you can give me on this would be fantastic!

- Kate

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Kater wrote:Is there any way to negotiate for increased financial aid at BU? BU's definitely my top choice school, but only offered me $25k need-based per year. I've gotten merit scholarships in addition to need-based money from other schools, some of which are "higher ranked," which might give me bargaining power (?), but I only received need-based aid from BU. Is there any way to negotiate for a merit scholarship or increase my need-based award? Do you know any law students who have done this, or do you have any advice as to how I can best communicate my needs to the financial aid office?

- Kate

Just mail or email the office of admissions and tell them how interested you are in attending and that BU is your top choice, but that your current award doesn't make it financially feasible to attend. Attach your scholarship letters from comparable or higher ranking schools. I've heard of a number of people successfully negotiating up. I actually wrote them such a letter, and while they didn't match the comparable offers, they were nice enough to give me a stipend for free housing during 1L year.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 am

This is really, really random, but are there lockers? I can't remember whether or not I saw any when I was at the Preview Day...

Also @ Kater, I had success negotiating a higher scholly with BU and I've heard of several others this cycle that have had some good successes. I basically did what dakatz lists above :) Good luck!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 am

krad wrote:This is really, really random, but are there lockers? I can't remember whether or not I saw any when I was at the Preview Day...

They are in the dungeon, not exactly something we show-off on the admitted students days. Tall-vertical lockers too, you can fit a suit.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 am

Cupidity wrote:They are in the dungeon, not exactly something we show-off on the admitted students days. Tall-vertical lockers too, you can fit a suit.

lol I can understand that... thanks!

cfdhjk

Postby cfdhjk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Kater wrote:Is there any way to negotiate for increased financial aid at BU? BU's definitely my top choice school, but only offered me $25k need-based per year. I've gotten merit scholarships in addition to need-based money from other schools, some of which are "higher ranked," which might give me bargaining power (?), but I only received need-based aid from BU. Is there any way to negotiate for a merit scholarship or increase my need-based award? Do you know any law students who have done this, or do you have any advice as to how I can best communicate my needs to the financial aid office?

- Kate

I just emailed them that I received offers from other schools, and that even though I loved BU I had to take financial aid into account when deciding on a school. They asked me to email them my other offers, and then a few weeks later gave sent me $$$, it definitely works, and you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 pm

How's motorcycle parking at BU?

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:18 pm

I've got some questions about study abroad opportunities:

1) How competitive is it to get a spot in a program? Looking at some of the programs, they only allow 4 students per semester!

2) How does study abroad interfere with OCI?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:03 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:I've got some questions about study abroad opportunities:

1) How competitive is it to get a spot in a program? Looking at some of the programs, they only allow 4 students per semester!

Not very. If you also look, theres a lot of them and not a huge amount of people want to do that - theres also a ton of clinics, so people divide up into the different programs.

2) How does study abroad interfere with OCI?

No idea, but check the dates. Middle to end of August you prob want to keep clear - don't go the 1st semester of 2nd year. Most people I know who went abroad did it 1st semester of 3L and loved it - at that point theres nothing pressing to worry about.

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am

Cupidity...does your lease include electricity?

I'm starting to look at BU-owned property (since I have the $10k stipend for my first year).

I feel like I'm leaning toward 580 Commonwealth for a couple of reasons. AC, heat, electricity and hot water are all included in the rent. You can lease sight-unseen. Good location.

The allure of more charming apartments elsewhere, though, is getting to me. Why do you think these other locations are superior to 580 Comm?

Also, do most people stay in the apts for all 3 years?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

The 580 building just seemed too expensive for me. Keep in mind that your housing stipend only covers the 9 month school year. You will be signing a 12 month lease, so you will be on the hook for the summer months (and unless the 9 months of school add up to 10K, then you aren't getting the full value out of your stipend, because they will not pay for the summer months, even if you haven't maxed out the 10K).

My lease includes electricity and heat. Only thing I don't have is AC, but that problem is quickly solved with a good fan. I live 5 min from campus in a much quieter area than right on Comm Ave. And I know a few students who kept their apartments since the BU apartments are so close and convenient to campus and it is hard to part with that.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:12 pm

580 includes all utilities + internet. The rest of the BU leased properties include either water or heat+hot water. The on campus housing is still a great deal, despite its increased cost. The cheapest habitable studio in Boston will run you $800 or $9,600 for 12 months. If we assume $1300 for your BU owned property, it's $15600 a year - $10000, so $5,600. There are also further savings because you don't have to pay a fee, which is ballpark $1000 you just throw away to a realtor, on top of that you get to live insanely close to the school. If you can swing it, it is definitely cheaper to find a 2br owned by BU and split it with someone. I believe only 1 of you will need to go see it.

I'd also encourage you to ask the rental property office about the Bay St. Road or Euston Street apartments, they are comparably priced to the 580 building, but are much nicer. 580 is a lot like living in a hotel, the other properties are actually Boston Brown-Stones.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:28 pm

A good buddy of mine lives in 580. Its expensive as hell, but damn its amazing. The building is only like 7 or so years old, no bugs, central air, lots of washers/dryers, easy walk to fenway bars, right across from the T, easy walk to school.

But yes, it is super expensive. I looked into it for a while and it was just too much for me.

wamanda

Postby wamanda » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a pretty specific question. I was actually waitlisted at BU this year and am writing my LOCI right now. The thing is, I have a 168/3.92, so I am really really confused as to why I was waitlisted. I got a 60K offer from UCLA and am waitlisted at Berkeley, so I don't think there was anything wrong with my application, although I did apply in January.

Would anyone maybe have some insight into this? I hate to call yield protection, but Jesus, BU was one of my top choices, and I am bummed. Also--any strategies for getting off the waitlist? Is it common/possible to get a substantial scholarship or aid offer if they choose to accept me? I was originally hoping they would beat out UCLA.

Any advice or personal/anecdotal experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Clearly a yield protect, you are overqualified. LOCI should get you in.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

wamanda wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a pretty specific question. I was actually waitlisted at BU this year and am writing my LOCI right now. The thing is, I have a 168/3.92, so I am really really confused as to why I was waitlisted. I got a 60K offer from UCLA and am waitlisted at Berkeley, so I don't think there was anything wrong with my application, although I did apply in January.

Would anyone maybe have some insight into this? I hate to call yield protection, but Jesus, BU was one of my top choices, and I am bummed. Also--any strategies for getting off the waitlist? Is it common/possible to get a substantial scholarship or aid offer if they choose to accept me? I was originally hoping they would beat out UCLA.

Any advice or personal/anecdotal experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you really want to go, tell them. BU is not a huge YPer, but this sounds like YP to me. Write a LOCI, or even email admissions and tell them your situation - that its your top choice and would take them over UCLA or whatever (your call on what to say).

wamanda

Postby wamanda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks guys...

I know this sounds like way too much of a coincidence, but within an hour of posting that (before I even started the LOCI), admissions called me and told me I got in!

Since my UCLA deadline is Friday, I emailed financial aid with UCLA's offer and they gave me $75K! Definitely a YP, but damn, am I relieved.

Not to sound greedy, but does anyone have any advice for how to squeeze just a [i]tiny[i] bit more out of them? Their LRAP doesn't seem so hot, and I am super debt-averse, so every drop counts.

Either way, see you all in Boston! :D

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

You probably cant, 25K per year seems to be there cap for merit aid outside factors.

wamanda

Postby wamanda » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 am

Hmm, that's too bad. Any idea if/how merit aid affect need-based aid?

I only made about 10K last year, will make about as much this year, and my mom is currently unemployed/not supporting me anyhow, so I feel like I should be pretty eligible. Anyone have an estimate for what I might get on that front? It sounds like they are pretty generous with it, but I am not sure how having a nice scholly affects that.

If I could even get 5K per year or a living stipend, I would be totally satisfied. For whatever reason, I just can't let myself accept their initial offer. I think it's the lawyer in me :P

kfresha

Postby kfresha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:35 am

wamanda wrote:Hmm, that's too bad. Any idea if/how merit aid affect need-based aid?

I only made about 10K last year, will make about as much this year, and my mom is currently unemployed/not supporting me anyhow, so I feel like I should be pretty eligible. Anyone have an estimate for what I might get on that front? It sounds like they are pretty generous with it, but I am not sure how having a nice scholly affects that.

If I could even get 5K per year or a living stipend, I would be totally satisfied. For whatever reason, I just can't let myself accept their initial offer. I think it's the lawyer in me :P

It looks you have a really good case for need-based aid. If you tell their Financial Aid Department this situation I would think that you'd get something (especially with your numbers). There are people who got both merit-based and need-based aid, that shouldn't be a huge issue. =)

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 am

Wondering if anyone has a list of employers who participate in the joint BU/BC NYC off campus interview event? Any sort of list would be helpful, thanks!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun May 08, 2011 2:55 am

Perch wrote:Wondering if anyone has a list of employers who participate in the joint BU/BC NYC off campus interview event? Any sort of list would be helpful, thanks!

I stumbled across the list today, this is the complete 2010 list, there are about a dozen NYC firms that participate in our standard OCI that aren't listed here.

Allen & Overy, Alston Bird, Blank Rome, Brown Rudnick, Carter Ledyard & Milburn, Chadbourne & Park, Clearly Gottlieb, Connel Foley, Cravath, Crowell & Moring, Fox Rothschild, Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson, Goodwin Procter, Herrick Feinstein, Hogan Lovells, Kaye Scholer, Kenyon & Kenyon, Lowenstein Sandler, Mintz Levin, Mound Cotton, NYCLaw Dept, Orrick Herrigton, Patton Boggs, Paul Weiss, Riker Danzig Scherer Hyland & Perretti, Schulte Roth & Zabel, Seward & Kissel, Shearman & Sterlin, Sheppard Mullin Richter, Sills Cummis, Stoock &Stroock, SullCromwell, NY Legal Aid, Weil Gotshal & Manges, Winston & Strawn.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 am

I also know resume drops are usually pretty worthless - but I know a bunch of people who got NYC offers through them. Also, as Cupidity said there are a few NYC firms that come to BU - e.g., Skadden.

Concept

Postby Concept » Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am

Has anyone received the anticipated Early Bird Access program to set up their BU login and e-mail? I last received an e-mail that said we'd soon receive it :lol:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”