BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FutureInLaw
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby FutureInLaw » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 am

Question for current students...

Did any of you have offers from T14 schools you turned down for BU w/ scholly? I have $75k from BU vs. sticker at GULC, and I'm torn as to what to do. Curious if any of you were in the same situation, and what your thoughts are having made that decision.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:31 am

Just among he people I know, there are people who turned down Michigan, Penn, Columbia, Duke, and I turned down both Chicago and Cornell. Not sure how GULC would be worth it in your situation unless being in DC is your ultimate and only goal. BU's tuition is lower, cost of living is lower, provided you with solid scholarship (which you can try and negotiate up), solidly outplaces its rank on a consistent basis, etc.

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:12 pm

If BU is willing to match my GW offer, I would likely go there over most other schools. I think there's something to be said about short-term vs. long run calculations when it comes to the debt vs. prestige argument (i.e. the argument skews toward debt in the short term vs the difference in career prospects/earning capacity), but this isn't a TTT vs. BU. GULC is a great school, but I don't know. I don't have the GULC cost breakdown, but I would be astounded if it were much cheaper (if at all) than GW. 60k vs. 71k is ~30k less over 3 years, toss in an extra 75k and you're looking at a pretty good deal.

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:18 pm

I really wish you didn't need to send a check for the deposit. I'd love to use my credit card like some other places, but alas no dice. Dammit...

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:19 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I really wish you didn't need to send a check for the deposit. I'd love to use my credit card like some other places, but alas no dice. Dammit...


Oh tell me about it. I wish I could pay tuition with my credit card. Could have racked up SOOO many rewards points...

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 pm

dakatz wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I really wish you didn't need to send a check for the deposit. I'd love to use my credit card like some other places, but alas no dice. Dammit...


Oh tell me about it. I wish I could pay tuition with my credit card. Could have racked up SOOO many rewards points...


Man, the cashback bonus on 40k--not bad

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1L & 2L Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:06 pm

dakatz wrote:Oh and I'd like to second what people are saying about merit aid money. Seems like most people I talk to get some money. Many of them have very substantial awards. And BU was more than willing to negotiate with those who have a sound basis for asking for merit aid increase. I thought I had a basis for such a request and BU responded by offering me on-campus housing for a year. Their generosity with financial aid helps them pluck A LOT of top students who would perhaps otherwise be at Top 10 schools. I was at dinner the other night and people somehow ended up on the topic of schools they were considering. In a group of about 8 or 9 people, I heard of acceptances from U Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, and Cornell.


I sent BU my GW offer (106k + first year housing). I guess every school gives money for different reasons, but peer schools usually respond to each other right? I sent them my GW offer about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I haven't checked my mail in about a week (spring break), but if I have no $$$ info from them, I wonder if I should press again for money with the deposit deadline coming up, but I'm wondering how to ask...again if necessary without sounding desperate or demanding. And that's the thing-there's no flat out "no" answer from them, and it's on a rolling basis, so you have to judge for yourself how many weeks should pass before you ask again...

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Also wanted to ask--at the alumni panel most if not all had prior work experience which helped them get to where they are in their careers. As someone considering entering straight from undergrad, how much does it detriment you? I would imagine that work experience helps you, but does coming straight from undergrad put you at a comparative disadvantage in the legal job market?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:13 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Also wanted to ask--at the alumni panel most if not all had prior work experience which helped them get to where they are in their careers. As someone considering entering straight from undergrad, how much does it detriment you? I would imagine that work experience helps you, but does coming straight from undergrad put you at a comparative disadvantage in the legal job market?


Experience doesn't matter much. 1L Grades are important.

User avatar
ArthurDigbySellers
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Cupidity-do you remember what the finaid timeline is? I submitted my FAFSA/NeedAccess by the time they requested it, yet still nothing-I figure I might call them and ask about my finaid status before I give them $300. My friend who was admitted very recently got hers with $$$ her packet, and it's been on my mind.

FutureInLaw
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby FutureInLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:04 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Also wanted to ask--at the alumni panel most if not all had prior work experience which helped them get to where they are in their careers. As someone considering entering straight from undergrad, how much does it detriment you? I would imagine that work experience helps you, but does coming straight from undergrad put you at a comparative disadvantage in the legal job market?


Work experience is always a positive, and I'd advise any student thinking about going straight to consider doing some work in between, but I don't think its much of a big deal as long as your grades are good, since that will always trump all other factors.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).


BU is cutting its class size from 270 to 240. It isn't a long-term decrease, the school is doing some substantial construction and renovation next year and the decreased class size is just meant to open up additional space. I don't imagine there will be any effects, your first year sections will just drop from 90-->75, which isn't a huge deal. I hardly notice the difference between my 90 person class and my 45 as it is.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Cupidity-do you remember what the finaid timeline is? I submitted my FAFSA/NeedAccess by the time they requested it, yet still nothing-I figure I might call them and ask about my finaid status before I give them $300. My friend who was admitted very recently got hers with $$$ her packet, and it's been on my mind.



Generally speaking BU gives merit scholarships with their initial acceptance packet, however, not all qualified students receive money initially. If you are in the range where LSN or this forum lead you to believe you should get $$$, you should probably send them an email asking them to evaluate your financial aid or re-evaluate it, mentioning any other scholarships you have received or hardships you have incurred. I would try to negotiate before sending the seat deposit if necessary, but my scholarship negotiation stretched all the way into June with a back and forth bidding war between BU/BC.... (I was never going to go to BC)

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby PomasThynchon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Cupidity wrote:
FutureInLaw wrote:Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).


BU is cutting its class size from 270 to 240. It isn't a long-term decrease, the school is doing some substantial construction and renovation next year and the decreased class size is just meant to open up additional space. I don't imagine there will be any effects, your first year sections will just drop from 90-->75, which isn't a huge deal. I hardly notice the difference between my 90 person class and my 45 as it is.


That sounds a little odd for some reason, but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that schools cut class sizes to bring up their rankings, but I suppose this makes sense too. I hear that BU might move up to the teens if it gets some nice new facilities (not that I care :wink: ), but there is no reason for WUSTL/Minnesota to outrank BU...ok enough trolling.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:00 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FutureInLaw wrote:Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).


BU is cutting its class size from 270 to 240. It isn't a long-term decrease, the school is doing some substantial construction and renovation next year and the decreased class size is just meant to open up additional space. I don't imagine there will be any effects, your first year sections will just drop from 90-->75, which isn't a huge deal. I hardly notice the difference between my 90 person class and my 45 as it is.


That sounds a little odd for some reason, but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that schools cut class sizes to bring up their rankings, but I suppose this makes sense too. I hear that BU might move up to the teens if it gets some nice new facilities (not that I care :wink: ), but there is no reason for WUSTL/Minnesota to outrank BU...ok enough trolling.


Yeah I really think the new facilities will push our ranking up a bit. Its obviously a bit silly to have schools like Minnesota and WUSTL ranking above BU, when BU consistently ranks within the top 20 in almost every metric that matters (those involving employment and hiring). I'm not sure if the pics of what they are building are available on the internet, but it looked like it will be pretty incredible. The only real drawback to BU is the older and unsightly facility. So once you take that out of the equation, BU becomes a far more attractive destination to those who place more weight in aesthetics and modernity of the school.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:14 am

Honestly, until we bump harvard, our rank doesn't matter. We are the second best school in Boston.

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby FalafelWaffle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:37 am

dakatz wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FutureInLaw wrote:Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).


BU is cutting its class size from 270 to 240. It isn't a long-term decrease, the school is doing some substantial construction and renovation next year and the decreased class size is just meant to open up additional space. I don't imagine there will be any effects, your first year sections will just drop from 90-->75, which isn't a huge deal. I hardly notice the difference between my 90 person class and my 45 as it is.


That sounds a little odd for some reason, but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that schools cut class sizes to bring up their rankings, but I suppose this makes sense too. I hear that BU might move up to the teens if it gets some nice new facilities (not that I care :wink: ), but there is no reason for WUSTL/Minnesota to outrank BU...ok enough trolling.


Yeah I really think the new facilities will push our ranking up a bit. Its obviously a bit silly to have schools like Minnesota and WUSTL ranking above BU, when BU consistently ranks within the top 20 in almost every metric that matters (those involving employment and hiring). I'm not sure if the pics of what they are building are available on the internet, but it looked like it will be pretty incredible. The only real drawback to BU is the older and unsightly facility. So once you take that out of the equation, BU becomes a far more attractive destination to those who place more weight in aesthetics and modernity of the school.


Believe me, Cupid, if I were a rankings whore I'd be going to GW. I don't put very much stock into USNWR (although there are other very valid metrics), it's just that the more research I do, the more WUSTL and Minnesota's rankings astound me. BU should be tied with GW, not UMN. I seriously think any significant renovations will put BU over the fence there, but again, it's not something I will lose sleep over.

User avatar
FalafelWaffle
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby FalafelWaffle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:40 am

dakatz wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FutureInLaw wrote:Can someone please touch upon BU lowering its class size?

Why is it doing this? What effects do you see this having?

(I've looked for articles or anything that mentioned this, but can't find anything).


BU is cutting its class size from 270 to 240. It isn't a long-term decrease, the school is doing some substantial construction and renovation next year and the decreased class size is just meant to open up additional space. I don't imagine there will be any effects, your first year sections will just drop from 90-->75, which isn't a huge deal. I hardly notice the difference between my 90 person class and my 45 as it is.


That sounds a little odd for some reason, but I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression that schools cut class sizes to bring up their rankings, but I suppose this makes sense too. I hear that BU might move up to the teens if it gets some nice new facilities (not that I care :wink: ), but there is no reason for WUSTL/Minnesota to outrank BU...ok enough trolling.


Yeah I really think the new facilities will push our ranking up a bit. Its obviously a bit silly to have schools like Minnesota and WUSTL ranking above BU, when BU consistently ranks within the top 20 in almost every metric that matters (those involving employment and hiring). I'm not sure if the pics of what they are building are available on the internet, but it looked like it will be pretty incredible. The only real drawback to BU is the older and unsightly facility. So once you take that out of the equation, BU becomes a far more attractive destination to those who place more weight in aesthetics and modernity of the school.


You've seen pics of what they are planning?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:50 am

If you have info on what they are planning post it here, I don't even know.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 am

Based on the presentation I saw, they are putting up a classroom building in the Japanese garden area in front of the school between the law tower and Mugar library. The building won't be entirely separate from the law tower. The bottom few floors will all connect to make it into one large complex that is spread out and open. The pics they showed made the inside of the new building look beautiful. Lots of glass and open space. The alleyway between the law library and the law tower will be indoors, all covered in glass, with a huge central staircase lobby. I didn't see any pics of what the renovations to the actual tower will look like.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 am

dakatz wrote:Based on the presentation I saw, they are putting up a classroom building in the Japanese garden area in front of the school between the law tower and Mugar library. The building won't be entirely separate from the law tower. The bottom few floors will all connect to make it into one large complex that is spread out and open. The pics they showed made the inside of the new building look beautiful. Lots of glass and open space. The alleyway between the law library and the law tower will be indoors, all covered in glass, with a huge central staircase lobby. I didn't see any pics of what the renovations to the actual tower will look like.


Noooooo!!!! I love that Japanese garden!

BackToBoston
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 am

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby BackToBoston » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Hey all,

BU ugrad that failed to get in to BU Law as a 1L due to a horrible UGPA (~2.9 cumulative, had a 3.17 in CS but a 2.x in my aborted 3 years as an engineering major). My LSAT was a 174.

I ended up matriculating at UC Davis Law (currently 23rd in both the USNWR and Leiter rankings). My first semester I earned a 3.8, which is close to the top 5% cutoff here, probably like ~7% or so. As I've heard, if I maintain this GPA I would be very competitive for a lateral transfer. I've been seriously debating transferring because my fiancee is currently in Boston and her entire family (at least in the U.S.) is in the area.

Assuming that I did get into BU, how would I fare at OCI/with biglaw employment? Or more generally, how do transfers fare at OCI at BU? Will I receive any bump in hiring due to being highly ranked in a "peer" school?

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby orm518 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 am

Cupidity wrote:Noooooo!!!! I love that Japanese garden!


It's a shame they've hedged it in by putting parking spaces against the back of the Law Aud. Nice idea, not well executed. I did UGrad at BU, loved it, but the whole Josep Lluis Sert brutalist stuff, I could do without.

Fun fact: BU almost built a Pitt-esque 30 story gothic cathedral behind Marsh, but didn't raise the $$. You can still see it on a bronze plaque above some of the STH doorways.

User avatar
Vernunft
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Vernunft » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:54 pm

So I'm sending my deposit in this week, and I'm pumped for the fall. But this now means I have to look into housing. I know some quesitons about housing have already been answered ITT, but I have some more:

Even though it's more expensive, I think I want to live in a BU-owned apt at least for 1L year (specifically in one in the St. Mary's cluster). I'm from DC, so I don't know the Boston area very well, and I feel more secure renting from the University than from an independent owner before I get my bearings in a new city. Is this a good idea? Do a lot of law students opt for BU-owned housing?

I've been reading a lot on the ORPM site, and they mention that properties cannot be rented "sight unseen." When do most students go to view the properties? Sometime during the summer? Right before they move in?

For how long are leases?

I'm going to submit my info to the roommate referral service through the admitted students site probably this week, as I'd like to have a roommate to help mitigate costs. Has this generally been a successful way of finding a roommate? Are there better ways to go about this?

Thanks!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests