BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zonto

Bronze

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Post by zonto » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Cupidity wrote:Of my 7 1L courses, only one was closed book. What dakatz said is true, outside of rare circumstances, you are screwed if you look at your outline. It is really useful if you have it nearly memorized and just need to go, "Damn what was the name of that case I had under attractive nuissance doctrine, or what was the UCC# for course of dealing in an installment contract." If you think you are going to use it any more than that, you are wrecked.

My best grade was an open-note exam I did w/out an outline.
How long did it take you to adjust to the different style of learning required for law school?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for continuing to take our questions :) I have another: are any of you planning on using BU's LRAP? If so, are you concerned at all? It seems quite...hazy.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Thanks for continuing to take our questions :) I have another: are any of you planning on using BU's LRAP? If so, are you concerned at all? It seems quite...hazy.
+1. Interested in any feedback from those looking at public interest.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 pm

zonto wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Of my 7 1L courses, only one was closed book. What dakatz said is true, outside of rare circumstances, you are screwed if you look at your outline. It is really useful if you have it nearly memorized and just need to go, "Damn what was the name of that case I had under attractive nuissance doctrine, or what was the UCC# for course of dealing in an installment contract." If you think you are going to use it any more than that, you are wrecked.

How long did it take you to adjust to the different style of learning required for law school?
Five or six days

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 pm

zonto wrote:

Its certainly tough at first because the whole system is SO different from anything most students experience during undergrad. I think I got used to it pretty quickly because I did my research beforehand and wasn't surprised by anything. There are a number of really wonderful posts people made about success in law school. I'd be sure to read them all to get an idea for the mindset you will need.

Like most undergrads, I came in having really only taken classes where you are given info during class that you just jot down and then memorize to spew back come exam time. But here, you have to learn to take a nuanced discussion without any real answers and turn it into coherent notes that form a web of information that links up with other cases. The first few days it was pretty daunting and I got myself really worked up. But it wasn't long before I got into a groove with it. I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you have an idea what to expect, then it won't take too long to get used to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 am

Question about aid and scholarships.

Did anyone get a merit scholarship, only to see that number bumped up for need aid? I currently have a $75k scholarship, and I'm wondering if that might go higher once they review my financial aid app. Does that happen?

Thanks.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:43 pm

frijoles99 wrote:Hey, guys I was admitted and I am still waiting for 17 more answers, but BU is definitely at the top of the list , they offered me a 75k scholly and I have been reading this thread and salivating over my attending. I am seriously interested though in working for the DOJ. Federal prosecution or District Attorney. Work with Non-Profits is really interesting to me too. Do you get a feeling like this is something you can do around BU, is there a lot of competition for these positions from the t-14 or does it seem like you have just as good a shot as anyone? Does the CDO offer good resources for this?

Thanks
I wish I could offer more specific information, but I am a 1L, and I'm not really interested in this field. That said, the CDO has an entire branch dedicated to Non-Profit & Government work. This is important, because it means that your interests aren't shuffled to the back of the line as they try to cater to the firm-oriented students. I know plenty of people who have gone on to work for DA's and one who went to the DOJ so it is certainly possible, though I don't know any sort of numerical data.

lmtt

New

Post by lmtt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 am

I was wondering what type of laptop most students owned. I am not dying to spend over $1000 on a mac and have found dells to be unreliable. Any thoughts on a Thinkpad Edge?
Thanks

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 pm

All the computers work fine for examsoft, I have an Acer Netbook Pro which is a lower-end netbook and it works just fine. Students use pretty much everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Who'll be at Preview Day on March 25? I have to catch my train back to NYC right after, but if anyone wants to get hammered on 3/24, I'm down...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 pm

If anyone is around for the ASD this weekend feel free to pm me, I'm always down to take a break from studying to answer prospective student's questions

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:38 pm

When does BU send out scholly info?

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Rory1987 wrote:When does BU send out scholly info?
Based on hearsay and an official BU communication, on a rolling basis

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Cupidity wrote:If anyone is around for the ASD this weekend feel free to pm me, I'm always down to take a break from studying to answer prospective student's questions
I'll be around. I'm coming up Thursday afternoon and will be free Thursday night. Not staying Friday night because not financially feasible to stay two nights and I'm not getting to Penn Station at 6 am the day of.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 am

I got in a few weeks ago but still haven't gotten any scholly info. Is this usual? I'm a 169 3.9+ guy who would really consider BU if they gave me some coin.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:38 am

75k over 3 years. Yay.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:05 am

whymeohgodno wrote:75k over 3 years. Yay.
Grats man. Damn, being away from my college address and having no one there to check it for me is KILLING me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

polinerdemory

New

Post by polinerdemory » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 am

Cupidity wrote:
dakatz wrote:Hope as many as you guys as possible can make it to accepted students day. I know you guys will be crazy busy all day, but if anyone is in town for the night before or after, I'd be happy to meet up for dinner or coffee if you guys want to chat more about what its like here at BU. Anyone interested feel free to PM me.
Or if you'd prefer, we can go get hammered at a local bar.

Dakatz, I still need to figure out who you really are.
Here, here! The latter option is clearly the better one.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:58 am

Just got home from Preview Day, and I really liked the place. Met a few people from my undergrad, loved the mock class with Professor Farnsworth, and was really cool seeing Professor Pettit and the dean in the flesh after reading/hearing so much about them. I especially appreciated the sense of humor everyone seemed to have about the tower. Not my first time in Boston, but the first time I really walked along the BU part of Comm ave. Between the Hancock tower, Citgo sign, and Fenway, was really hard to get lost between campus and my hotel.

Hard to describe but the place gave me very positive vibes and it's definitely at the top of my list for now.

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:10 am

I also loved how, out of all the people who graduated from BU Law, there was a portrait of David E. Kelley right outside the admissions office.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 am

I loved the Preview Day and BU is definitely at the top of my listas well :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:19 am

krad wrote:I loved the Preview Day and BU is definitely at the top of my listas well :)
Lol were you there today? Weird to think that someone I may have seen is posting on TLS.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:20 am

Fo sheezy! And ditto haha

ArthurDigbySellers

Bronze

Post by ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 am

I was a red dot person, wearing a purple shirt-that's all I'm saying... :wink:

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:23 am

I was a non red dot person that asked a few ?s in the general finaidsession! That's all I'm saying :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”