BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
R.R. Raskolnikov

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 pm

krad wrote:Hi current BU students! Thanks SO MUCH for TT!

I got in last week and recently received my admit packet! Sadly, it had no mention of merit-based aid, but I am currently talking with the finaid office about other offers I have received at peer schools. Of all the schools to which I've been admitted, BU really is my top choice. :)

At the beginning of TT, a few of you mentioned that you had some success negotiating for/increasing merit aid. If any of you could post or PM me some tips, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your application?

I got mine in on 12/11/10 and no word yet. I've only heard from two schools so far so I don't find this abnormal.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 pm

I submitted 11/17, complete 12/14, in via voicemail 1/31 (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kradke).

Good luck! I know there are a lot of people still waiting to hear back!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 am

http://blogs.bu.edu/lawstudentaffairs/2 ... ub-trivia/

Found this on the school site. It should give you some insight into a typical Thursday.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 am

Cupidity wrote:http://blogs.bu.edu/lawstudentaffairs/2011/01/28/what-do-atticus-finch-count-chocula-and-saved-by-the-bell-all-have-in-common-%E2%80%93-bu-law-pub-trivia/

Found this on the school site. It should give you some insight into a typical Thursday.

Thanks for the blog, I'm checking out the past entries. I LOVE bar trivia

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Cupidity wrote:http://blogs.bu.edu/lawstudentaffairs/2011/01/28/what-do-atticus-finch-count-chocula-and-saved-by-the-bell-all-have-in-common-%E2%80%93-bu-law-pub-trivia/

Is it sad this really makes me wanna go to BU?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:18 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:

Is it sad this really makes me wanna go to BU?

That is just an average Thursday. Halloween & the Cruise are insane.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 pm

That all sounds fabulous! All I need is BU to throw a little $ my way and I'll pretty much be there (barring any ridiculous reach admissions)! I can't wait to visit during the March 25 Preview Day :)

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what does the summer associate/FT job search situation appear to be for 2Ls and 3Ls? Is the mood as grim as it can be on these message boards? Or do things seem to be ok for BU students in general?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:16 pm

sandwichday wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but what does the summer associate/FT job search situation appear to be for 2Ls and 3Ls? Is the mood as grim as it can be on these message boards? Or do things seem to be ok for BU students in general?

Blindmelon had a good answer to this in another thread, but I couldn't find it. Word on the street is that Boston hiring is up, and while it isn't at 2008 levels, it is getting there.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 pm

How do people with specialties (though not necessarily an abundance of actual WE in the field) tend to fare? Is it worth it to hone in on something such as Health Law or Corporate Law (in my case I also applied for the joint LLM in Banking/Finance Law), or would it be better to sort of play the field and keep a broad mindset in the beginning?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:46 am

To my surprise, I have found that the field is pretty much open. I came in with this conception that to become involved in IP/Patent you needed an engineering degree or some sort of relevant expertise, and the same for other specialized fields, but from what I've seen anyone can pretty much become involved with anything. While specialties will certainly benefit you, they don't seem to be necessary to land the jobs. The only example I can think of where an LLM was valuable, was where a 3L was no offered, took a year to LLM and got a position at a major boston firm.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 am

Hope as many as you guys as possible can make it to accepted students day. I know you guys will be crazy busy all day, but if anyone is in town for the night before or after, I'd be happy to meet up for dinner or coffee if you guys want to chat more about what its like here at BU. Anyone interested feel free to PM me.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 am

dakatz wrote:Hope as many as you guys as possible can make it to accepted students day. I know you guys will be crazy busy all day, but if anyone is in town for the night before or after, I'd be happy to meet up for dinner or coffee if you guys want to chat more about what its like here at BU. Anyone interested feel free to PM me.

Or if you'd prefer, we can go get hammered at a local bar.

Dakatz, I still need to figure out who you really are.

landla

Postby landla » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Can you tell me anything about people working in international (international corporate, particularly, but that's rather specific) law from BU or if there are any programs particularly for it?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:34 pm

landla wrote:Can you tell me anything about people working in international (international corporate, particularly, but that's rather specific) law from BU or if there are any programs particularly for it?

Would you mine clarifying whether you mean:

American firm work w/ an international bent, IE: Mergers and Acquisitions focusing primarily on transactions w/ Japanese Countries.

or

International firm work, IE: I want to be a corporate lawyer and live in another country.

Postby 174 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

landla wrote:Can you tell me anything about people working in international (international corporate, particularly, but that's rather specific) law from BU or if there are any programs particularly for it?

EDIT: I assumed you were asking about working abroad. If that isn't what you mean, disregard all this.

It is my understanding that this isn't something a student can typically land straight out of law school, especially without native fluency in another language. Normally you work NY biglaw for a few years in a transactional practice and then lateral to an office abroad. We definitely have alums that have done this.

Our study abroad programs are pretty solid and are a good way to establish ties to a foreign market for when you want to lateral down the line.

richie808

Postby richie808 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:56 pm

First post on this forum: I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for awesome participation. I am a recently admitted student to BU and I really learned a lot from this thread.

ALSO: I will be in Boston for the admitted students day this weekend, from 3/3 - 3/6, and was wondering if any current / prospective students might want to meet up? If so, send me a PM.

Many thanks!

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 pm

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to those that PM'd me about scholly negotiations with BU- I received at $45k offer yesterday in the mail and I can't wait to visit for Preview Day March 25 ahhhhhh!! I'd be up there this weekend if I could, but I'm traveling for work :( Many thanks!!

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:51 pm

So I was at the admitted students day and they said that exams are open note and book. Is this true?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:00 pm

derrminater wrote:So I was at the admitted students day and they said that exams are open note and book. Is this true?

It completely depends on the professor. Most allow you to bring outlines and notes. But don't let this fool you. You will have almost zero time to look a them during the test. Anyone who goes in needing to rely on that stuff is already screwed. So yes, most let you bring stuff in, but it's mostly just for quick references.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

derrminater wrote:So I was at the admitted students day and they said that exams are open note and book. Is this true?

Of my 7 1L courses, only one was closed book. What dakatz said is true, outside of rare circumstances, you are screwed if you look at your outline. It is really useful if you have it nearly memorized and just need to go, "Damn what was the name of that case I had under attractive nuissance doctrine, or what was the UCC# for course of dealing in an installment contract." If you think you are going to use it any more than that, you are wrecked.

My best grade was an open-note exam I did w/out an outline.

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Interesting, thanks guys. Also, whats the climate control like in the building? Does it sometimes get like a green house with all the windows? It seemed pretty hot in there on Friday

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:03 pm

derrminater wrote:Interesting, thanks guys. Also, whats the climate control like in the building? Does it sometimes get like a green house with all the windows? It seemed pretty hot in there on Friday

Climate can be a bit odd at times. Last friday it was hot because the day was surprisingly mild and the heat hadn't been lowered accordingly. This is one of the main things they are taking care if with the upcoming tower renovation.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 pm

derrminater wrote:Interesting, thanks guys. Also, whats the climate control like in the building? Does it sometimes get like a green house with all the windows? It seemed pretty hot in there on Friday

Valid complaint. It isn't always great.

frijoles99

Postby frijoles99 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Hey, guys I was admitted and I am still waiting for 17 more answers, but BU is definitely at the top of the list , they offered me a 75k scholly and I have been reading this thread and salivating over my attending. I am seriously interested though in working for the DOJ. Federal prosecution or District Attorney. Work with Non-Profits is really interesting to me too. Do you get a feeling like this is something you can do around BU, is there a lot of competition for these positions from the t-14 or does it seem like you have just as good a shot as anyone? Does the CDO offer good resources for this?

Thanks

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”