BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cupidity

Re: BU 1Ls & 2Ls Taking Questions

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 am

10 minute walk to the gym

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 am

The LS seems to be located in an active area, and there is probably a great view from the top, but aesthetically it's brutal. Is it better inside?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 am

luckyme wrote:The LS seems to be located in an active area, and there is probably a great view from the top, but aesthetically it's brutal. Is it better inside?

The inside isn't aesthetically great either, but it certainly isn't as bad as the outside. All the rooms have floor to ceiling windows, which really adds something. The tower is also really convenient, since everything you need is one place.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 am

Cupidity wrote:
luckyme wrote:The LS seems to be located in an active area, and there is probably a great view from the top, but aesthetically it's brutal. Is it better inside?

The inside isn't aesthetically great either, but it certainly isn't as bad as the outside. All the rooms have floor to ceiling windows, which really adds something. The tower is also really convenient, since everything you need is one place.

I've visited, and it's not half bad, honestly. I do wonder if it ever gets claustrophobic, with everything in one place?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:38 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

I've visited, and it's not half bad, honestly. I do wonder if it ever gets claustrophobic, with everything in one place?

Everyone loves it. Especially in winter. BU is pretty large in terms of # of students, so the tower is huge. There are several floors I haven't even seen, and a variety of study areas.

slater1

Postby slater1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 am

I think the design of the tower is really something silly to make your LS decision on. The tower itself, especially inside, isn't even that bad. You get great views of downtown from most of the classrooms due to the huge windows that someone else already pointed out. If you're making a decision on law school, it just seems much more appropriate to consider the (city) location of the school, job prospects, etc etc rather than whether you aesthetically like the building. It gets overrated during the law school search because it's just something to latch on to.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:50 am

slater1 wrote:I think the design of the tower is really something silly to make your LS decision on. The tower itself, especially inside, isn't even that bad. You get great views of downtown from most of the classrooms due to the huge windows that someone else already pointed out. If you're making a decision on law school, it just seems much more appropriate to consider the (city) location of the school, job prospects, etc etc rather than whether you aesthetically like the building. It gets overrated during the law school search because it's just something to latch on to.

It is not unreasonable to consider the appearance of a place you will be spending most of your time at for three years, especially if you have appealing options in a number of cities. I doubt it's the primary factor in anyone's choice of school.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:36 pm

I really do enjoy the law tower because it is walking distance from the BU pub, which is important if you plan on adequately pre-gaming torts.

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 pm

The more I hear about BU the more I am getting the idea that I really want to attend! I've heard Boston described as a "young people's town." Can you elaborate on this?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 pm

derrminater wrote:The more I hear about BU the more I am getting the idea that I really want to attend! I've heard Boston described as a "young people's town." Can you elaborate on this?

There are a ton of colleges in and around Boston. Just to spout off the ones I can immediately think of: BU, BC, Northeastern, MIT, Harvard, Brandeis, Tufts, Berkeley College of Music, Emerson, Emmanuel, UMass Boston, Suffolk, etc. The large number of colleges means a large number of young adults, and the city has many young professionals who stay here after graduating from the many colleges.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 am

derrminater wrote:The more I hear about BU the more I am getting the idea that I really want to attend! I've heard Boston described as a "young people's town." Can you elaborate on this?

Boston is great, but BU is even better. The thursday bar reviews are densely populated, the Halloween party was insane, and the boat cruise was one of the best parties of my entire life.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 am

Have you had problems finding a place within the COL budget? I've tried checking CL several times and I always just get exhausted from looking at the prices...
Would you recommend the grad dining plan?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:53 am

rman1201 wrote:Have you had problems finding a place within the COL budget? I've tried checking CL several times and I always just get exhausted from looking at the prices...
Would you recommend the grad dining plan?

I have never even heard of the grad dining plan, so I'm going to say no to that one. COL in Boston is pretty high, but if you live in Allston it gets a lot cheaper. Prices in the area are much cheaper for 2/3 bedrooms (compares 900 for a 1br versus 1100 for a 2 br). BU runs a matching service for roommates that many of my friends found successful. BU owned housing is pretty pricey and although it is great, I would advise against it without a housing stipend.

law.school.2014

Postby law.school.2014 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey,

I just got accepted into BU and I am really excited, but I am a little confused about all the scholarships. Does anyone have more info about the Alumni Scholarship and how to apply? My numbers are 164 and 3.75, and I am not sure if I will get any merit without applying for something additional, although my parent's financial situation doesn't really make me a good applicant for financial aid.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

law.school.2014 wrote:Hey,

I just got accepted into BU and I am really excited, but I am a little confused about all the scholarships. Does anyone have more info about the Alumni Scholarship and how to apply? My numbers are 164 and 3.75, and I am not sure if I will get any merit without applying for something additional, although my parent's financial situation doesn't really make me a good applicant for financial aid.

Have you gotten your admit package? It tells you if you got a merit scholarship.

derrminater

Postby derrminater » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Would those who already attend, given your experiences, be willing to attend BU if you were to do it all over again if you had to pay sticker?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 pm

derrminater wrote:Would those who already attend, given your experiences, be willing to attend BU if you were to do it all over again if you had to pay sticker?

I certainly would, I'm really happy here. Don't just accept sticker, BU offered me nothing and I managed to negotiate scholarship $ out of them as late as June.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Cupidity wrote:
derrminater wrote:Would those who already attend, given your experiences, be willing to attend BU if you were to do it all over again if you had to pay sticker?

I certainly would, I'm really happy here. Don't just accept sticker, BU offered me nothing and I managed to negotiate scholarship $ out of them as late as June.

tagging this thread, just got in!!!

So my stats are 164/3.95 and I also got into GW. Do you think that either school would give me ANY money?? Not likely, huh? =(

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:24 pm

I think my answer to this would largely depend on how the OCI and hiring process goes. If I am able to attain the sort of job I'm shooting for, then sticker would certainly end up being worth it in the long run. Debt is a dangerous thing, so I would advise anyone thinking about taking on a large amount to REALLY do their research, assess their goals, determine the best ways of reaching those goals, etc.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 am

How difficult do you feel it is to end up above median here? It seems like a pretty competitive student body, is it mostly luck? Any BU specific advice as far as grades/0L prep/studying aside from whats already been reiterated on TLS?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 am

rman1201 wrote:How difficult do you feel it is to end up above median here? It seems like a pretty competitive student body, is it mostly luck? Any BU specific advice as far as grades/0L prep/studying aside from whats already been reiterated on TLS?

Thats obviously very subjective to the individual student. The students are certainly competitive, but it is not overt or uncomfortable. I doubt it is any different than at any other school. The people I associate with have absolutely no problem sharing outlines and supplements, sending notes over if people miss class, etc. The fact that we all go through this whole experience together creates a huge amount of camaraderie, and it helps ease the competitive undertone.

As far as "luck" goes, I'm sure that plays into it at times. Some people say that their grades seemed random or arbitrary. I'm the complete opposite in that the exams I prepped the smartest for, and the exams I felt the best during, ended up being my strongest exams. Whereas the one I felt uncomfortable on I received my worst grade. So I don't agree with the seemingly large contingent of students that will tell you that it is based on luck. I received the grades I feel like I rightfully earned in the classes I busted my ass for the most.

Difficulty of finishing above median isn't possibly something I could answer. Everyone here seems very smart. I constantly have moments (as I'm sure many law students do at times) in which I feel like I'm the dumbest person in the room compared to these super bright people. Yet lo and behold, 50% of these super bright people finish below median. Doing well is a combination of natural intelligence, diligence/focus to stay on top of the material, method of preparation for exams, and perhaps a bit of luck at times.

As far as 0L prep, don't do anything substantive. It can't possibly help you and may actually work against you. Read about what exams entail. Check out the book Getting to Maybe, or the LEEWS exam writing audio program for info on law school exams. Thats really all I would recommend for a 0L to do aside from relaxing, clearing your head, taking some time to evaluate your goals, etc. Sorry for the long post, but I sort of have a reputation on here for writing mini-novels.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

rman1201 wrote:How difficult do you feel it is to end up above median here? It seems like a pretty competitive student body, is it mostly luck? Any BU specific advice as far as grades/0L prep/studying aside from whats already been reiterated on TLS?

Luck is the difference between an A/A+, but most of the people I know received fairly consistent grades. The reason a lot of people claim that luck is so important is because they fail to recognize law school exams are 50% your knowledge of the law and 50% your knowledge of law school exam strategy. I know people who knew far more than I did who did poorly because they invested too much time in studying the subject matter and less time doing practice exams.

My 0L prep consisted of drinking on the beach and reading Plato and I would advocate that. 1L is an endurance test and it is important to show up well rested and relaxed. If you are just the type that HAS to prepare, consider reading Farnsworth's Legal Analyst or A Civil Action, (Obviously from section A). I would also encourage you to read 1 of your prof's exam early at the start of the semester to try and get some idea of what they find important.

DO NOT LEARN ANY LAW. Many students show up to school and have already read hornbooks or study case law, this is a mistake. Remember, in order to succeed you don't need to know tort law, you need to know your professor's tort law. Each professor will have their own theories on what is important or which side is right where there are conflicting approaches. It is a lot easier to learn it right once then to learn it incorrectly, unlearn it, and re-learn it.

chasefog

Postby chasefog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi,guys.I am a 0L accepted to BU.Could I ask you some questions?
1. Dose BU's reputation in IP law really help with finding a job in big IP firm?

2. I was born as a city boy.Hope to live in NYC or California in the future (Boston is a great city, just a bit cold to me :D ).How is BU grads' placements in these locations?

Also accepted to GWU and USC,same tier.Hard to judge which one better suits into my needs.
(I am personally connected to BU, because of the very nice experiences with BU admission officers.But USC is in LA,and GWU is also high in IP ranking.I currently have a hard time to judge.Thus,I would really appreciate your thoughts.)

3.I did not apply for scholarship before.I am about to do it now.When will I hear the news?And do I still have a chance for the Dean's Scholar Program?

I would appreciate if you could answer any of my questions.

Concept

Postby Concept » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:56 pm

Just submitted my deposit for BU. I'm incredibly excited.

Much obliged to the 1Ls and 2Ls answering questions. You've given us some great insight as to what life is like in Boston.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 am

Would y'all be so kind as to give us some insight into BU's LRW program? It's not listed with the curriculum for first-years, but I'm assuming it exists...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”