Pitt 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
OGR3

Pitt 1L Taking Questions

Postby OGR3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm sure I'll be harassed by my fellow Pitt 1Ls, but I'll do this anyway.

We're just starting our fifth week. Fire Away!

yepitsme

Re: Pitt 1L Taking Questions

Postby yepitsme » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm

1) What is the class size like there? Are they relatively small classes?
2) What is housing like? Are there on campus houses or apartments that most law students live in? Close to campus? etc..

Thanks!

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 pm

yepitsme wrote:1) What is the class size like there? Are they relatively small classes?
2) What is housing like? Are there on campus houses or apartments that most law students live in? Close to campus? etc..

Thanks!

1. first year courses have about 80 kids, legal writing is about 25-30.
2. housing is nice in shadyside(1-1.5 miles off campus), things can be a little sketchy in oakland, but a little cheaper. there is no on campus housing for grad students.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
yepitsme wrote:1) What is the class size like there? Are they relatively small classes?

Thanks!

1. first year courses have about 80 kids, legal writing is about 25-30.
2. housing is nice in shadyside(1-1.5 miles off campus), things can be a little sketchy in oakland, but a little cheaper. there is no on campus housing for grad students.

There's 3 sections of 80 students.

I would say most grad students live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. Oakland is much closer to campus, and it is predominately undergrads.

yepitsme

Postby yepitsme » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks for the answers. A few more questions for you:

1) What are your thoughts so far on your experience there? I know it has been a short period of time, but do you enjoy the town? the classes? the professors? the nightlife?

2) What do you know about job placement? Does it seem like a regional school or are people looking outside of the PA region for jobs?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 am

yepitsme wrote:Thanks for the answers. A few more questions for you:

1) What are your thoughts so far on your experience there? I know it has been a short period of time, but do you enjoy the town? the classes? the professors? the nightlife?

2) What do you know about job placement? Does it seem like a regional school or are people looking outside of the PA region for jobs?

I absolutely love the city. Pittsburgh is beautiful and there's always a ton of great things to do. Pitt students get free access to a bunch of museums and cheap admission to a large variety of arts performances. It's a big sports town, so one must be prepared to hear a lot about the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates and of course Pitt football and basketball. I love sports so I'm fine with that, and have already gone to a couple games.

I enjoy most of my classes and everyone is really friendly. I really like 3 of my 5 professors and although I don't particularly care for the other two, at least I enjoy the subject matter.

The nightlife is pretty good, though I haven't been out a ton so maybe someone else could expand upon that.

From what I understand, Pitt is largely regional, placing in the city and throughout western PA. The majority of people I know plan on staying in the area, but there are some that plan on going back home to places like NJ, Ohio, and New York. I don't know how this year's OCI went, but from what I heard about last year, things were not good (just like everywhere else).

klmnumbers

Postby klmnumbers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Pitt has really good placement in DC as well including the semester in DC program.

Fun note for your class, they over-accepted students for the current 1L class. That's why us poor 2Ls have to share lockers with all this construction. I call shenanigans.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:31 pm

klmnumbers wrote:Pitt has really good placement in DC as well including the semester in DC program.

Fun note for your class, they over-accepted students for the current 1L class. That's why us poor 2Ls have to share lockers with all this construction. I call shenanigans.

I call shenanigans on the construction lasting until March. They told us during the open house last year that it would be done when school started or shortly thereafter. They should take the extra tuition money and put it toward construction work.

ATORR21

Postby ATORR21 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 am

This is good info, thanks. I plan an applying to Pitt for sure.

Good luck with the rest of your law school exp.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:42 pm

klmnumbers wrote:Pitt has really good placement in DC as well including the semester in DC program.

I'm interested in the amount of students who got summer jobs (even if it's just a guess from your class). It seems like DC and PA competition from UPenn, Penn State and Temple is unbearable unless you're cum lade.

Do you know of some top recruiters? Firms where the alumni is strong? Thanks a lot in advance!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:44 pm

reaisan wrote:

I'm interested in the amount of students who got summer jobs (even if it's just a guess from your class). It seems like DC and PA competition from UPenn, Penn State and Temple is unbearable unless you're cum lade.

Do you know of some top recruiters? Firms where the alumni is strong? Thanks a lot in advance!

... try magna cum laude.....
I doubt pitt has "really good" placement in dc if gw and american are struggling..........

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:45 pm

reaisan wrote:

Reed Smith hired more Pitt grads than any other school in 2009. I know that's not answering your question for 1L's but it just let's you see the strong connection btwn Pitt and law firms in Pittsburgh. Basically ALL the firms in Pittsburgh strongly favor Pitt and Duquesne over other schools (for the most part)

--I would like to hear about 1L summer prospects though. Any chance for government work? Even at the state level?

rubaiyatsongs

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 pm

When did they let you know if you were in or not? I don't like to wait.

Pitt is a top choice school of mine, but I want to see how much money I get from other schools before I decide, so early admission is out. :(

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 am

rubaiyatsongs wrote:When did they let you know if you were in or not? I don't like to wait.

Pitt is a top choice school of mine, but I want to see how much money I get from other schools before I decide, so early admission is out. :(

Short answer: it varies.

I applied in January and didn't hear back until April. Considering my numbers, I thought it was kind of strange that it took so long. Once April hit and I still hadn't heard back I took the initiative to contact them, only for them to ask if Pitt was my top choice. When I told them it was, I received an acceptance the next day. I will stress that everyone I spoke to in admissions was extremely nice and helpful. If it's been a while since you applied, don't be afraid to give them a call/e-mail and let them know you're interested.

On a side note, even though I was accepted late in the game I still received a scholarship. So don't worry too much about $ running out if you're not accepted right away.

I know many students who had very different experiences. It's possible that you could hear back a lot sooner than me. Applying so late might have had something to do with my delayed acceptance.

GoldenIL

Postby GoldenIL » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

I have a question, what made you choose Pittsburgh over any other law school in Pennsylvania?

Joymin

Postby Joymin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Anybody has elaborate info on how Pitt 3Ls are placed, and how good does the placement scene actually get outside of the state. Or please let me have the link where I can find the info.

Thank you!

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

GoldenIL wrote:I have a question, what made you choose Pittsburgh over any other law school in Pennsylvania?

I didn't want to be in Philadelphia or State College. Also, I love the city.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:18 pm

how hard is it to find decent apartments close to the school, and that have devent landlords?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Joymin wrote:Anybody has elaborate info on how Pitt 3Ls are placed, and how good does the placement scene actually get outside of the state. Or please let me have the link where I can find the info.

Thank you!

I don't think Pitt publishes data that is more in depth than what is required by the ABA. If I get my hands on anything I'll post it here, but I think the best you'll get is anecdotal evidence from current 3Ls.

northwood wrote:how hard is it to find decent apartments close to the school, and that have devent landlords?

Because Pitt and Carnegie Mellon are right next to each other, there's A LOT of relatively cheap apartments in the surrounding area. Oakland tends to be quite noisy as it's largely undergrads. Most law students live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, which are only a few minutes away by bus. Private landlords are a much better bet than the management companies, as quite a few of the companies are really predatory. Also, if you're willing to be in Lawrenceville or on the north side, you can get a lot more bang for your buck, and it's only a 20-40 minute bus ride. I live 45 minutes out from school by bus, but only 15 minutes from downtown.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:42 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Joymin wrote:Anybody has elaborate info on how Pitt 3Ls are placed, and how good does the placement scene actually get outside of the state. Or please let me have the link where I can find the info.

Thank you!

I don't think Pitt publishes data that is more in depth than what is required by the ABA. If I get my hands on anything I'll post it here, but I think the best you'll get is anecdotal evidence from current 3Ls.

northwood wrote:how hard is it to find decent apartments close to the school, and that have devent landlords?

Because Pitt and Carnegie Mellon are right next to each other, there's A LOT of relatively cheap apartments in the surrounding area. Oakland tends to be quite noisy as it's largely undergrads. Most law students live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, which are only a few minutes away by bus. Private landlords are a much better bet than the management companies, as quite a few of the companies are really predatory. Also, if you're willing to be in Lawrenceville or on the north side, you can get a lot more bang for your buck, and it's only a 20-40 minute bus ride. I live 45 minutes out from school by bus, but only 15 minutes from downtown.

Stay out of South Oakland. Because of the high demand, by and large, the housing is overpriced and kept in poor shape. I second Shadyside and Squirrel Hill as close (and economically viable) options. For a real deal, search for apartments in lesser-desired (but still safe) East End enclaves like Greenfield, Bloomfield, and Stanton Heights.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 am

Could someone discuss ED and scholarship opportunities...or more specifically what the interplay between ED and scholarship offers are?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”