Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kronk

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Thank you for answering questions.

1. I know graduate degree GPAs don't count in LSAC GPA report, and I know LSAT and UG GPA are the most important factors, but can a master's degree provide an edge? How about an internship (I work for my state's Democratic Party headquarters)?

2. Also do you enjoy the area where you live? Is it possible to get around without a car?

1.) Don't think anyone really knows

2.) Yes, I enjoy it and it's easy to get around without a car.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:16 pm

1. I know graduate degree GPAs don't count in LSAC GPA report, and I know LSAT and UG GPA are the most important factors, but can a master's degree provide an edge? How about an internship (I work for my state's Democratic Party headquarters)?

Probably not, unless there's no one else applying with your background, in which case maybe you will be the perfect addition to round out the class. I had dinner with Dean Edley earlier this year and when asked how much it matters that applicants have other experience in their background (than just coming straight from undergrad), he said not at all. And this to a group of particularly...experienced...1Ls. I think what they really care about is the diversity of perspective you will bring to the class (see Fisher v. University of Texas!).
timeandspace11 wrote:2. Also do you enjoy the area where you live? Is it possible to get around without a car?
yeah, love it. I have not had a car at all and it has almost never been the slightest issue. Free bus, not-free-but-still-useful BART, pleasant walking all over...it's great!

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:58 pm

pkt63 wrote:

Probably not, unless there's no one else applying with your background, in which case maybe you will be the perfect addition to round out the class. I had dinner with Dean Edley earlier this year and when asked how much it matters that applicants have other experience in their background (than just coming straight from undergrad), he said not at all. And this to a group of particularly...experienced...1Ls. I think what they really care about is the diversity of perspective you will bring to the class (see Fisher v. University of Texas!).
timeandspace11 wrote:2. Also do you enjoy the area where you live? Is it possible to get around without a car?
yeah, love it. I have not had a car at all and it has almost never been the slightest issue. Free bus, not-free-but-still-useful BART, pleasant walking all over...it's great!

Thanks for the feedback. Im guessing if anything would benefit me, it would be the internship and not the masters degree, although like you said if no one else has a similar background it could potentially helpful. It is definitely somewhat of a long shot that I am accepted into Berkley, but who knows? The law school looks spectacular, and obviously provides a world class education and employment prospects. The surrounding region also looks great and I am very happy it is easy to get around without a car.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I actually live further out than most people in the San Pablo area and drive in. You can certainly live nearby and get around without a car no problem, though. Most people seem to do that just fine. But if you're from LA and heavy traffic makes you warm and fuzzy with nostalgia, there's plenty of that for you here too.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 am

Definitely possible to get around without a car provided you live near campus or good public transit. But public transit isn't good here unless you're going from one Bart stop to another (even then, Bart train intervals range from 5-20 minutes). The buses are pretty crappy...when I lived around San Pablo/University, the bus would take up to 45 minutes to reach campus in the morning and had intervals that averaged about 20 minutes, but often took 30-40 minutes. By comparison, I made the drive in about 11 minutes at the same time of day. And as far as Bart goes, the fact that the law school is a 20-30 minute walk uphill from the nearest Bart stop makes the commute lengthier than you'd otherwise think. For example, if you Bart in from El Cerrito Plaza, you're probably looking at a minimum 40 minute commute--5 getting to Bart, 5 waiting for Bart, 10 on the train, 20 walking to the law school--for a drive that takes 1/2 that time (and really, should only be about 10 minutes--but East Bay has bad road design, too). So...live near campus if you can.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 am

2. Also do you enjoy the area where you live? Is it possible to get around without a car?

1. Maybe, but probably not much of an edge. My impression is that the admissions office is truly holistic -- which means that they won't just look at numbers (although numbers are obviously important) but also that no single factor, e.g. a graduate degree, will make a determinative difference.

2. Totally. I chose to live close to campus. You can walk or bike very easily and still be within walking distance of downtown Berkeley, shops, restaurants & metro/BART to SF.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 pm

DreamShake wrote:

Definitely possible to get around without a car provided you live near campus or good public transit. But public transit isn't good here unless you're going from one Bart stop to another (even then, Bart train intervals range from 5-20 minutes). The buses are pretty crappy...when I lived around San Pablo/University, the bus would take up to 45 minutes to reach campus in the morning and had intervals that averaged about 20 minutes, but often took 30-40 minutes. By comparison, I made the drive in about 11 minutes at the same time of day. And as far as Bart goes, the fact that the law school is a 20-30 minute walk uphill from the nearest Bart stop makes the commute lengthier than you'd otherwise think. For example, if you Bart in from El Cerrito Plaza, you're probably looking at a minimum 40 minute commute--5 getting to Bart, 5 waiting for Bart, 10 on the train, 20 walking to the law school--for a drive that takes 1/2 that time (and really, should only be about 10 minutes--but East Bay has bad road design, too). So...live near campus if you can.

Buses are not horrible and BART is closer than a 20 - 30 minute walk for most people. I know many, many people who used AC Transit to go to and from school and didn't think it was a horrible experience. Parking around the school can be a pain in the ass, but $300 will get you a semester pass in underhill. Or, you could forgo that and bet on the fact that you won't get ticketed parking there more than once or twice. Berkeley is extremely bikeable as long as you can handle a hill up to the school.

Yossarian79

Postby Yossarian79 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered upthread.

I was told recently that, along with Yale, Boalt has a unique clinic model that allows you to do real clinic work as a 1L. But their website doesn't really have anything about this. As a public interest person, does anyone have any more info about this, or was I misinformed? Thanks.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Yossarian79 wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked and answered upthread.

I was told recently that, along with Yale, Boalt has a unique clinic model that allows you to do real clinic work as a 1L. But their website doesn't really have anything about this. As a public interest person, does anyone have any more info about this, or was I misinformed? Thanks.

True. In the first year they have a different name; they are called student-initiated legal services projects because they are created and run by 2Ls and 3Ls, but you do work under the supervision of an attorney just like the other clinics. A lot of 1Ls are involved in them and do cool work. Check it out here:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/slps.htm
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/10640.htm

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah, so for SLIPS, it's basically like another extracurricular activity, like an identification group, journal or other special interest (like ACS, Student Animal Legal Defense, etc). Whereas the official school clinics that 2Ls and 3Ls can sign up for are taken for units (usually 6-8 units, but if you continue and do a clinic for additional semesters, you can sometimes sign up for a lower commitment, like 2-4 units). A lot of people stay involved with their SLIPS beyond their 1L year too. But it's always something you have to balance with your minimum course load (which I found to be totally do-able in my 1L year and know a couple people who actually did two SLIPS in addition to a journal and the regular 1L class load).

Also, I think there is a lot more diversity in the SLIPS options than in the clinics. There are so few clinics (although to be fair, EBCLC does have a lot of subspecialties which add some diversity), but there are a lot of SLIPS on many different topics and with a variety of commitment levels, I think. I don't know, I only did one myself, so that's actually just my perception, that they really vary in hours committed, unlike the clinics, which first semester pretty much all end up being like 20-25 hours per week.

azgirl514

Postby azgirl514 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 am

Bump! I'm a Boalt 1L and am currently on winter break (!!!) so I'd be happy to take any questions if you guys want to PM me. Congrats to new admits, btw!

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Just got in, REALLY excited. Grew up in the East Bay and pumped at the possibility to get back.

1) Matching scholarships- how possible/likely is this? Is it based on our numbers? How early we submit the other offers? I cannot do Berk at sticker. It is still my #1 though.

2) I'll have a car. I want a dog. What are my living options? I'm thinking a tiny dog, probably less than 15 lbs. Grew up with small dogs :lol: I looked at Manville but....ehhhhhhhh. It just looks so tiny.

3) Going to ASW- are they still letting prospectives stay with students?

4) Did anyone do the Berkeley optional reading on the ASW site? If I do does this make me a gunner? Just kidding. Sort of.

matvei

Postby matvei » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:22 pm

I'll chime in, bored 1L. Congrats! I'll answer these to the best of my ability, but have to duck out on question 1... no knowledge.

2) I think if you try North Berkeley you'd find some good options for houses/small apartments with parking. College too? I'm sure you could find one which is pet friendly. If money is no issue, Berkeley Hills are beautiful as well, and pretty ample parking. You really really have to look though. And even if you find somewhere in an apt. structure, you may get a free spot with the apt.

3) ASW is great! Solidified my decision to go here. They'll get back to you in a couple months with a spreadsheet or something of people who are offering places to stay who you can contact.

4) Optional reading?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:41 pm

matvei wrote:I'll chime in, bored 1L. Congrats! I'll answer these to the best of my ability, but have to duck out on question 1... no knowledge.

2) I think if you try North Berkeley you'd find some good options for houses/small apartments with parking. College too? I'm sure you could find one which is pet friendly. If money is no issue, Berkeley Hills are beautiful as well, and pretty ample parking. You really really have to look though. And even if you find somewhere in an apt. structure, you may get a free spot with the apt.

3) ASW is great! Solidified my decision to go here. They'll get back to you in a couple months with a spreadsheet or something of people who are offering places to stay who you can contact.

4) Optional reading?

Thanks for answering all my questions! I'll look into North Berk. Would Oakland be too far? SF? SF would probably suck with a car/commute I'm thinking.

RSVP'd to ASW already, I love that they have a hike. My kind of place.

And yeah....it's a list of like 30 books on their website for admitted students. I may read a couple just for kicks? Some seem they'd be better than others.

azgirl514

Postby azgirl514 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Just got in, REALLY excited. Grew up in the East Bay and pumped at the possibility to get back.

1) Matching scholarships- how possible/likely is this? Is it based on our numbers? How early we submit the other offers? I cannot do Berk at sticker. It is still my #1 though.

2) I'll have a car. I want a dog. What are my living options? I'm thinking a tiny dog, probably less than 15 lbs. Grew up with small dogs :lol: I looked at Manville but....ehhhhhhhh. It just looks so tiny.

4) Did anyone do the Berkeley optional reading on the ASW site? If I do does this make me a gunner? Just kidding. Sort of.

CONGRATS! Definitely apply for the matching scholarship AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Don't wait for another school to get back to you with a potentially bigger offer; just apply ASAP and then if you get another even better offer, approach Berkeley with that. I had a friend who got a huge scholarship from Michigan... Berkeley matched it. He then got an even bigger offer from Georgetown and was able to convince Berkeley to match that as well. I wasn't so lucky; I got big money from Michigan as well, but Berkeley only accepted me in late February and by that time it appears that a lot of the money was gone. Either way, they denied my request for a matching scholarship (and only got back to me in June). It sucked, but at the same time it was my top school so I decided to go there anyway. I don't think it's based entirely on your numbers, actually. Who knows, the whole process there is a black box.

Definitely go to ASW. That's what sold me. There will be many students delighted to host you -- don't you worry. They will get back to you with more info around April.

Don't worry about the reading! I don't remember the stuff on the website, but most books that aren't directly tailored to your course won't help you one bit with classes. I would relax as much as you can. If you must, read a bit about law school exam taking and talk to some 1Ls for advice. Once you get your professors, you can ask around regarding which supplements to buy.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:31 am

azgirl514 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Just got in, REALLY excited. Grew up in the East Bay and pumped at the possibility to get back.

CONGRATS! Definitely apply for the matching scholarship AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Don't wait for another school to get back to you with a potentially bigger offer; just apply ASAP and then if you get another even better offer, approach Berkeley with that. I had a friend who got a huge scholarship from Michigan... Berkeley matched it. He then got an even bigger offer from Georgetown and was able to convince Berkeley to match that as well. I wasn't so lucky; I got big money from Michigan as well, but Berkeley only accepted me in late February and by that time it appears that a lot of the money was gone. Either way, they denied my request for a matching scholarship (and only got back to me in June). It sucked, but at the same time it was my top school so I decided to go there anyway. I don't think it's based entirely on your numbers, actually. Who knows, the whole process there is a black box.

Definitely go to ASW. That's what sold me. There will be many students delighted to host you -- don't you worry. They will get back to you with more info around April.

Don't worry about the reading! I don't remember the stuff on the website, but most books that aren't directly tailored to your course won't help you one bit with classes. I would relax as much as you can. If you must, read a bit about law school exam taking and talk to some 1Ls for advice. Once you get your professors, you can ask around regarding which supplements to buy.

Thanks so much!!! Such great info. I've only gotten into berk and NYU so far but as SOON as I get another acceptance and $$$ ill be sending it over to Berkeley. It feels like such a great fit, I'm just giddy. I'm hoping berk likes me since I found back so soon? Wishful thinking...just want those scholarships matched!!!

Can't wait for ASW!

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:21 pm

It looks like your questions were answered well already, but I'm another Boalt 1L checking in and willing to answer what I can now that I have some time to relax! Congrats to the new admits!

Re: living, I live a half hour commute away (or so) in apartments that have detached garages and allow pets. Most people prefer to live closer but I don't mind the commute. I know I'm weird for that but after commuting a couple hours each way back east, it doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't get a dog until you have a place to live lined up. It's harder than it seems to find dog-friendly apartments. Keep in mind that even if you don't study in the library, you're looking at being on campus/away from home as long as you would be if you worked full time. So you probably won't want a puppy. It's doable though, especially if you're sticking to breeds under 25 lb.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:51 pm

mushybrain wrote:It looks like your questions were answered well already, but I'm another Boalt 1L checking in and willing to answer what I can now that I have some time to relax! Congrats to the new admits!

Re: living, I live a half hour commute away (or so) in apartments that have detached garages and allow pets. Most people prefer to live closer but I don't mind the commute. I know I'm weird for that but after commuting a couple hours each way back east, it doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't get a dog until you have a place to live lined up. It's harder than it seems to find dog-friendly apartments. Keep in mind that even if you don't study in the library, you're looking at being on campus/away from home as long as you would be if you worked full time. So you probably won't want a puppy. It's doable though, especially if you're sticking to breeds under 25 lb.

I was thinking something under 25 lb, certainly. I dislike studying in libaries immensely- I really like having allll my stuff around me. Wouldn't it be like 9-4 on campus? No? I have no idea what the scheduling is like actually so would love input here. If you don't mind PMing me your place, that would be great! It also looks like places in North Berkeley/hills might have stuff, so I'll check out around there. Not much on CL right now but who moves at Christmastime anyway? A dog is so therapeutic for me and I really have been looking to adopt for a long time, so really would hate to give that up as well. Also I hate cats.

Thanks for all your help and answers!

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Yeah, I had 8:30 - 3:30 MTWTh but I think some people had bigger gaps and were on campus until 5:30. Next semester I will have class from 10 - 5:30 MTW. So not quite a job but close. I did have a three day weekend which was great except that events and makeup classes are scheduled on the day they know you're free so I think I only actually didn't go to campus on 2 or maybe 3 Fridays early in the semester.

They'll tell you your fall schedule at orientation. The next semester they tell you three of your classes, but you pick the fourth. I chose Intro to IP instead of Con Law, and I'll take Con Law in the fall. The majority of people will do Con Law since it is a grad requirement and the school pushes it really hard. You can pick which section you want if you do that.

Do a crime search, too. I had decided to live way north until I saw a place that looked good near campus. Did a search and a car had been stolen out of that place's driveway the week prior. Shit happens but it scared me off. I'll PM you my place. It's a drive but I signed a lease without ever being to northern CA in my life and it went smoothly and I've been happy with it.

jstr00az

Postby jstr00az » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Dignan wrote:don't take into account PI and academic positions, two areas where Berkeley places quite well.

What percentage of the 2011 class took an academic position? Also, what were the salaries of the people who went into PI and how much debt, including accrued interest, did the average person who went into PI have?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 pm

mushybrain wrote:Yeah, I had 8:30 - 3:30 MTWTh but I think some people had bigger gaps and were on campus until 5:30. Next semester I will have class from 10 - 5:30 MTW. So not quite a job but close. I did have a three day weekend which was great except that events and makeup classes are scheduled on the day they know you're free so I think I only actually didn't go to campus on 2 or maybe 3 Fridays early in the semester.

They'll tell you your fall schedule at orientation. The next semester they tell you three of your classes, but you pick the fourth. I chose Intro to IP instead of Con Law, and I'll take Con Law in the fall. The majority of people will do Con Law since it is a grad requirement and the school pushes it really hard. You can pick which section you want if you do that.

Do a crime search, too. I had decided to live way north until I saw a place that looked good near campus. Did a search and a car had been stolen out of that place's driveway the week prior. Shit happens but it scared me off. I'll PM you my place. It's a drive but I signed a lease without ever being to northern CA in my life and it went smoothly and I've been happy with it.

Awesome, thanks so much! And yeah, cars getting stolen out of driveways would scare the crap out of me. Garage ftw.

I guess those times on campus don't seem so awful, but I'm accustomed to my horrendous schedule now. Working 65 hours this week, and 14 hours alone tomorrow. 8:30-5:30 sounds fantastic! Additionally, my parents are considering moving back up to NorCal (they're in central cal right now) in the near future if I end up at Berkeley so I'd have a nearby dogsitter. :lol:

Did you like Intro to IP? The more I read about that area of the law the more interested I become. It's hard for me to narrow down my interests to a few fields, hopefully Berk can resolve that for me.

Can't believe how lovely and helpful Berk law students are! Collegiality is dead-on.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah if you're used to working, especially those hours, it's no problem!

I'm actually taking Intro to IP this coming semester, so I'm not sure yet, but I've heard wonderful things about the professor. I'm on the tech law journal (BTLJ) and love it. The upperclassmen on the journal are the people who recommended taking the class during 1L if we want to so I am. I don't have a tech background so I don't know if I can make a go of it, but it's really interesting.

The collegial environment is so true, by the way. I have nothing to compare it to really but it's noticeable for sure.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:28 pm

mushybrain wrote:Yeah if you're used to working, especially those hours, it's no problem!

I'm actually taking Intro to IP this coming semester, so I'm not sure yet, but I've heard wonderful things about the professor. I'm on the tech law journal (BTLJ) and love it. The upperclassmen on the journal are the people who recommended taking the class during 1L if we want to so I am. I don't have a tech background so I don't know if I can make a go of it, but it's really interesting.

The collegial environment is so true, by the way. I have nothing to compare it to really but it's noticeable for sure.

Thanks so much for the PM, btw. Bookmarked it to keep it in mind for later. Looks beauuuutiful :D

keep me posted on Intro to IP, and thanks again!

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:44 pm

No problem. Happy to help.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Current 1L here. PM me if you have questions. Also, congrats if you've been accepted already.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”