Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Rotor

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Rotor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 am

EvelynS wrote:Housing question is also my number one. I did not quite like Ida housing because of all the frat houses around. I am pretty sure it would not be that loud and Ida is soooo close to the school, but I am still not sure if that is a good option. Manville, on the other hand, is like a 25-30 min walk from school, pretty isolated area. Any opinions on Manville? Also, i did not notice any bus stop close to Manville. How close is the nearest bus stop from that building?

Walk one block north to Durant. Take 51B to College Ave. Walk one block north to Boalt. Easy. Actransit.org has schedule info. Most busses have real-time arrival info on Nextbus.

Didn't live their, but had friends who did. Wouldn't be for me, but they liked it--at least for 1L.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Postby FavoriteColorGRUE » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Sorry if this has already been asked!

But can anyone share their thoughts on the pros and cons of Ida Jackson or the I-house? Both are super appealing because of their proximity... and the fact that I won't have to fly out to CA again to look for a place. Also, any sense of when they fill up by?

Thanks so much!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:40 pm

FavoriteColorGRUE wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked!

But can anyone share their thoughts on the pros and cons of Ida Jackson or the I-house? Both are super appealing because of their proximity... and the fact that I won't have to fly out to CA again to look for a place. Also, any sense of when they fill up by?

Thanks so much!

The downside of I-House is that the beds are fucking tiny. If you can live with that and the meal plan then you'll be fine.

oakinwind

Postby oakinwind » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Sorry if this has been asked previously, but does anyone knows if the merit-based scholarship/matching scholarship is mutually exclusive with need based grant? say that if someone received scholarship, then he/she is less likely to receive any need based grant, or vice versa? thanks!

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 am

oakinwind wrote:Sorry if this has been asked previously, but does anyone knows if the merit-based scholarship/matching scholarship is mutually exclusive with need based grant? say that if someone received scholarship, then he/she is less likely to receive any need based grant, or vice versa? thanks!

I actually asked this question on ASW. The Fin Aid said that it is done separately. So, technically, they will add the amount of merit aid you received to the amount you were given as a need based aid. However, I think it also depends on the amount of money given for both merit and need-based assistance.

oakinwind

Postby oakinwind » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm

EvelynS wrote:
I actually asked this question on ASW. The Fin Aid said that it is done separately. So, technically, they will add the amount of merit aid you received to the amount you were given as a need based aid. However, I think it also depends on the amount of money given for both merit and need-based assistance.

Thank you very much for the info!

Virgil777

Postby Virgil777 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:35 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by Virgil777 on Sat May 05, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am

Hey guys,

I still haven't gotten to visit and I am very overwhelmed trying to narrow down places to look for apartments.

First, what is the rent budget appeal process for loans? I saw the forms for it from last year, so I know it's doable, but do you have to justify the price of your place? Why you didn't get a roommate, for example? If so, how hard is that? ("I dont study well in libraries and need a quiet living situation" vs doctor's note, etc.)

Second, can anyone help me figure out where to look? I am a homebody, "hip" and "urban" sound like the exact opposite of where I would want to live, and I am used to urban sprawl more than dense city living. I prefer quiet living to bustling areas and want to avoid undergrad/fratty areas like the plague. I have a car and I would rather have a longer commute and more space and/or better prices than the alternative. Because I plan to live alone, I need it to be safe enough for that. Finally, and I know this is a big one, I want to get a larger dog (50-60 lb). Even if I don't/can't or have to go with a smaller breed, I have two guinea pigs that most landlords historically have been fine with because they're caged, but it's a consideration. Usually a picture of their accomodations calms landlord nerves. If I found a great place now I'd love to stay there all three years. I feel more comfortable going with a management company based on past experiences with private owners.

Any location suggestions or complex names would be very much appreciated. If anyone can recommend their current or past apartment complex but doesn't feel comfortable posting it here, I'd really appreciate a PM.

I do know I need to visit but it is overwhelming having no idea where to focus my search. I won't be able to spend more than a couple days at a time on a visit.

Thank you all very much for all your help. I wish I had been able to meet some of you at ASW!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat May 05, 2012 11:30 am

mushybrain wrote:Second, can anyone help me figure out where to look? I am a homebody, "hip" and "urban" sound like the exact opposite of where I would want to live, and I am used to urban sprawl more than dense city living. I prefer quiet living to bustling areas and want to avoid undergrad/fratty areas like the plague. I have a car and I would rather have a longer commute and more space and/or better prices than the alternative. Because I plan to live alone, I need it to be safe enough for that. Finally, and I know this is a big one, I want to get a larger dog (50-60 lb). Even if I don't/can't or have to go with a smaller breed, I have two guinea pigs that most landlords historically have been fine with because they're caged, but it's a consideration. Usually a picture of their accomodations calms landlord nerves. If I found a great place now I'd love to stay there all three years. I feel more comfortable going with a management company based on past experiences with private owners.

Any location suggestions or complex names would be very much appreciated. If anyone can recommend their current or past apartment complex but doesn't feel comfortable posting it here, I'd really appreciate a PM.
MB: thanks for the opportunity to procrastinate from finals studying. :)

You have a few countervailing elements here. Many complexes (at least those close by) limit the size of pets to ~40 lbs. I have a 100lb dog and it pretty much narrowed my options to homes rented by individuals. (Not to say there aren't any; I just don't know of any) Our landlord has been great--too bad I'm not out until 1 Oct. For the unurban/quiet you are looking for, you need only look outside of the area immediately south of campus or along the major thoroughfares University/Shattuck/MLK etc. Once you get off those, it gets neighborhoody pretty quick. I live in North Berkeley and would recommend it. The most quiet/homebody areas will be up in the Berkeley hills (but again, no complexes). On a map, it's the eastern bit where the roads get twisty.

A bit of housing advice to all--just breathe. It'll be alright. Every year this goes on and every year people find places to live. The search may not be all rainbows and unicorns, but you will be OK in the end. You are coming to a great place.

Edit to add: sorry I have no experience with the appeals process, so can't comment there.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sat May 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Thank you! Since I don't have a dog yet it isn't an absolute dealbreaker but we will see.

princeR

Postby princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 2:27 am

So Boalt admissions seems to be actually holistic, kind of what I would expect. With that being said, if one doesn't have a high GPA (I have a 3.54) am I pretty much out?

boaltbear

Postby boaltbear » Mon May 07, 2012 4:21 am

princeR wrote:So Boalt admissions seems to be actually holistic, kind of what I would expect. With that being said, if one doesn't have a high GPA (I have a 3.54) am I pretty much out?

Not necessarily.

But we are just students. Our knowledge of the selection process is about as good as any of the information about Boalt you find on here. It tends to be a black box.

However, Dean Tom is the greatest. He says hi to me by name in the halls.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon May 07, 2012 2:29 pm

You're not necessarily out. LSAT counts for a lot to at least get to faculty review (if your GPA is low). Once you get to faculty review everyone has a shot. My GPA was low (not quite as low as a 3.54, but within the same range) and I got to faculty review and was accepted.

princeR

Postby princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm

I ask because Berk is my #1, but I want to ED to some places to ensure I get into somewhere good. I'm afraid with the admissions process at Boalt I just have no clue if I would get in. ANY idea what they look for? I know you are just students, but any insight into what a good app would be would be amazing!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon May 07, 2012 10:51 pm

princeR wrote:I ask because Berk is my #1, but I want to ED to some places to ensure I get into somewhere good. I'm afraid with the admissions process at Boalt I just have no clue if I would get in. ANY idea what they look for? I know you are just students, but any insight into what a good app would be would be amazing!

I've heard rumors that Dean Tom has special glasses that can detect trace amounts of Midichlorians on your submissions. (Please don't ask how they survive transmission through LSAC. That'd ruin my meme.)

Seriously, it is impossible to say. Dean Tom is able to put together a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals. Make yourself look like that and you'll have as good a shot as your numbers will allow.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am

Rotor wrote:
princeR wrote:I ask because Berk is my #1, but I want to ED to some places to ensure I get into somewhere good. I'm afraid with the admissions process at Boalt I just have no clue if I would get in. ANY idea what they look for? I know you are just students, but any insight into what a good app would be would be amazing!

I've heard rumors that Dean Tom has special glasses that can detect trace amounts of Midichlorians on your submissions. (Please don't ask how they survive transmission through LSAC. That'd ruin my meme.)

Seriously, it is impossible to say. Dean Tom is able to put together a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals. Make yourself look like that and you'll have as good a shot as your numbers will allow.

Also, I found this interview with Dean Tom really useful to tailoring (successfully) my application to Berkeley:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Rotor wrote:Dean Tom is able to put together a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals. Make yourself look like that and you'll have as good a shot as your numbers will allow.
I did not do this at all in my app (make myself look like a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals) and yet I got in. I don't think portraying multiple personalities on your app is good.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm

jim-green wrote:
Rotor wrote:Dean Tom is able to put together a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals. Make yourself look like that and you'll have as good a shot as your numbers will allow.
I did not do this at all in my app (make myself look like a great collection of really bright, really interesting, well balanced individuals) and yet I got in. I don't think portraying multiple personalities on your app is good.

Bad joke or reading comprehension fail? You be the judge.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 am

princeR wrote:So Boalt admissions seems to be actually holistic, kind of what I would expect. With that being said, if one doesn't have a high GPA (I have a 3.54) am I pretty much out?

I got in with a 3.45.

I wrote a badass personal statement and had some softs working for me. Really try and make everything else PERFECT and shoot for a high LSAT. You're not completely out.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed May 09, 2012 4:45 am

worldtraveler wrote:

I got in with a 3.45.

I wrote a badass personal statement and had some softs working for me. Really try and make everything else PERFECT and shoot for a high LSAT. You're not completely out.

Amen to that. Close friend got admitted with a 3.49 and another sweet PS.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
jim-green wrote:
Bad joke or reading comprehension fail? You be the judge.
Bad joke, was trying to mess with Rotor :-)
But seriously, how come Berkeley has the 3rd smallest selectivity rate? Not HLS, CLS, Chi, NYU, Penn, etc. The small class size does not explain it - other schools are small too.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 pm

How many suits will a 1L need and how good do they have to be? I have one black suit with grey pin stripes, $150 total from Kohls? Is this enough to interview in and for other events? The Duke website on ATL worried me, they talked about Macy's $600 suits and stuff, but I think they were talking about the 2L and 3L OCI.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed May 16, 2012 8:19 pm

jim-green wrote:How many suits will a 1L need and how good do they have to be? I have one black suit with grey pin stripes, $150 total from Kohls? Is this enough to interview in and for other events? The Duke website on ATL worried me, they talked about Macy's $600 suits and stuff, but I think they were talking about the 2L and 3L OCI.

You'll be fine.

poe

Postby poe » Thu May 17, 2012 1:56 am

I've heard some mention of Boalt students taking TA positions for undergrad courses. How common is this? Is there a lot of competition for the positions? And what's the pay like?

(desperately trying to find a way to make Boalt @ sticker work)

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 am

poe wrote:I've heard some mention of Boalt students taking TA positions for undergrad courses. How common is this? Is there a lot of competition for the positions? And what's the pay like?

poe wrote:I've heard some mention of Boalt students taking TA positions for undergrad courses. How common is this? Is there a lot of competition for the positions? And what's the pay like?

I had a couple of friends do this. One already was an EE PhD and he had no problem landing a GSI (graduate student instructor). The other I know less about her background. In any case, GSIs get a partial fee remission and a salary. If you do well (HH) in a subject as a 1L, you can apply to be an Academic Skills Program Tutor as a 2L/3L for a 1L mod. Like GSI, there is partial fee remission and a stipend. Finally, if you do well in LRW/WOA, you can TA for that as well. It's lower time demands than GSI/ASP tutor and as a result, you get an hourly wage but no fee remission (but is the easiest to get--24-36 hired per semester).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”