Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EvelynS

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby EvelynS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Everyone!

I just got admitted to Boalt. any recommendations re: cellphone service? I have AT&T now, but heard that it does not really have a coverage there.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Also, did anyone here enrolled in the Business Law Certificate program? How is it? Is it worth pursuing?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:02 pm

EvelynS wrote:Also, did anyone here enrolled in the Business Law Certificate program? How is it? Is it worth pursuing?

To answer your question in the most literal sense, going for the slip of paper probably isn't going to do much for you.

However, the school having the certificate means the school is beefing up its business curriculum and by all appearances it will only continue to strengthen. The business classes I've had have been my favorite by far--to the point that it got me to change my intended path to transactional. Even so, I'm going to be one class short of the certificate, and it wasn't worth it to me to beat myself up this final term to get it. I still got the great exposure that the program provides--except for the mandatory accounting for lawyers class.

Talking with some local attys about the program, they pretty unanimously applauded the program and what it's doing both on the business and tax sides. We also seem to be getting more firm involvement with practitioners from firms and in house alike. I've had lunch with the LucasFilms GC, had a great presentation from the CEO/CFO of a local renewable energy company on project finance, and an amazing guest lecture on Corp Governancethe former GC for Andersen Consulting/Accenture, to name the top three.

If you have specific questions, just PM.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

EvelynS wrote:Hi Everyone!

I just got admitted to Boalt. any recommendations re: cellphone service? I have AT&T now, but heard that it does not really have a coverage there.

Sprint is the best. Verizon is good as it is always, but more expensive, and Sprint is better and cheaper, so your move. And AT&T is horrible in the Bay, but I think they are trying to work on it.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Kronk wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Hi Everyone!

Sprint is the best. Verizon is good as it is always, but more expensive, and Sprint is better and cheaper, so your move. And AT&T is horrible in the Bay, but I think they are trying to work on it.

I will not be counting on AT&T "working on it" practice bcs of their 2 yr contract. Since Sprint has an iPhone 4S too, I would switch with no regret :lol:

goodthings

Postby goodthings » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Last edited by goodthings on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm

goodthings wrote:Can anyone speak to the support at Boalt for those with less traditional career aspirations? Academe, policy, etc. How many in a class tend to go this route? How do they do? It's such a different beast than the usual law career suspects.
I have friends who are going down the academic path-- either with PhD in hand or applying now for PhD programs. They seem to be encouraged by their prospects, but as you say, it's not the typical path. We do have a two-semester seminar designed to introduce prospective academics to legal academia and Jurisprudence and Social Policy program has a bunch of classes in empirical methods, statistical studies, etc.

See: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/8104.htm ("In 2009, Berkeley tied for the third highest number of graduates placed in law teaching positions, trailing only Yale and Harvard, according to one analysis. Recent Berkeley Law graduates have secured teaching positions at top law schools, including the University of Michigan, Duke, University of Virginia, UC Irvine, and Emory, to name just a few.") That last bit is probably a bit stale, being a couple of years old, but it was also before we had an explicit focus on classes for legal academics.

Prof. Anderson is GREAT. She's one of the POC's on that website and I'm sure would answer your questions. She is really busy at the moment publishing several articles, but she will get back to you eventually. :)

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:42 am

I posted this elsewhere, but it looks like I should have put my questions here.

1. How early do I need an apartment figured out to get a good place? I have pets, so I know it'll take some extra time. Because of said pets, I am expecting to have to line up places to view and then fly out for a few days to check them out. It looks like the answer in here is first week of August?
2. I'm cool with driving, but will there be somewhere to park when I get to campus?
3. Can I afford to get a good (preferably one bedroom) place on my own? I don't study well in libraries at ALL and I know I'll do better without the distraction of roommates at home. I'd much rather have more in loans than save money by having a roommate. However, I know I'm limited by Berkeley's estimated cost of attendance as far as loan amounts go. Dividing the rent/utilities estimate from the 2011-12 CoA across nine months, I arrive at $1198 total per month. But then... it's also estimating $749 a month for FOOD? Who spends that much?! Is living alone something Berkeley Law students can pull off on loans without any other financial support? What do people do during the summers? Beg their parents? Hope to get a job that makes some money?

Thanks!

goodthings

Postby goodthings » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Last edited by goodthings on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:49 am

1. How early do I need an apartment figured out to get a good place? I have pets, so I know it'll take some extra time. Because of said pets, I am expecting to have to line up places to view and then fly out for a few days to check them out. It looks like the answer in here is first week of August?
First week of August is a bit late; landlords will be looking for people who to take over leases starting on August 1. I flew down the 3rd week of July, IIRC, and was able to find something within a couple days. Not to sound scary, but don't underestimate how restrictive pets, especially dogs, are in a housing search. I found only 3-4 dog-friendly places relatively close to campus (i.e., in the town of Berkeley + Rockridge) in the two days I was here. You're almost definitely gonna end up renting from a private party instead of a commercial entity.

2. I'm cool with driving, but will there be somewhere to park when I get to campus?
I don't drive to class, so take what I say with a sizable grain of salt. My impression is that it's a pain in the ass. A very high percentage of the street parking around the law school/campus is about $1.65/hr with a 2-hour limit (and that limit is enforced). There's typically parking available immediately next to the law school on Bancroft if you get there by 8-8:30, but again, it's by the hour (and I think the time limit there is 3-4 hours? Not sure.). You could check out the possibility of a university garage permit, but I imagine they're pretty pricey considering the disparity in parking supply/demand. You can also try out the city's garage on Durant, near Telegraph. I think they have a waiting list, though.

3. Can I afford to get a good (preferably one bedroom) place on my own? I don't study well in libraries at ALL and I know I'll do better without the distraction of roommates at home. I'd much rather have more in loans than save money by having a roommate. However, I know I'm limited by Berkeley's estimated cost of attendance as far as loan amounts go. Dividing the rent/utilities estimate from the 2011-12 CoA across nine months, I arrive at $1198 total per month. But then... it's also estimating $749 a month for FOOD? Who spends that much?! Is living alone something Berkeley Law students can pull off on loans without any other financial support? What do people do during the summers? Beg their parents? Hope to get a job that makes some money?
You can definitely afford a studio--1 bedroom might be pushing it. Utilities are generally low here b/c you never need A/C and heating isn't too bad. Food costs nowhere near $750/mo., but by the same coin, you should be doing everything in your power to keep your loans as low as possible.

As far as summers go...it depends on what you do. SA's pay $3k/wk, which is obviously enough to cover rent and such. People doing non-profit/government work (excluding judicial externships) qualify for Edley grants (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/10537.htm). There's also money available through Boalt Hall Foundation and other student groups. Personally, if my 1L SA hopes don't pan out, I'm hoping Edley grants + some shit job on the weekends + leftover loan money will cover the summer.

HTH, and welcome to Boalt!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 am

goodthings wrote:Of the folks you know with/pursuing PhD's, do you have any idea in what fields? Personal decision according to their own research interests I'm sure, but just curious.
I think going into detail may out them so I'll just say it's a broad range. Everything from humanities to science and an engineer.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Of the PhD's I know of in my class, one is philosophy, one is history, one is biochemistry, and the other is an MD.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Tanicius wrote:Of the PhD's I know of in my class, one is philosophy, one is history, one is biochemistry, and the other is an MD.

I thought we had 2 MD's (unless you're just talking about your supermod)? I love watching the cardiologist's reactions to medmal discussions in torts.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 am

sorry in advance if this has already been answered...

Could I sublet my place for a few months and still get in-state tuition during 2L and 3L if I wanted to spend summers on the East Coast?
I read that a condition for getting in-state tuition was continual residence for 12 months, but I'm not sure how strict UC is with compliance or loopholes.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:18 pm

cylon_clone wrote:sorry in advance if this has already been answered...

Could I sublet my place for a few months and still get in-state tuition during 2L and 3L if I wanted to spend summers on the East Coast?
I read that a condition for getting in-state tuition was continual residence for 12 months, but I'm not sure how strict UC is with compliance or loopholes.

The legal test for residency is an intent to stay in Calif. after graduation. Staying here for 12 months makes it practically automatic. Leaving for the east coast for the summer will make it very hard to demonstrate intent to stay, but I suppose not impossible. If there is some genuinely unique opportunity that is not in Calif. (e.g. Intl Criminal Court in The Hague) or you tried to get a job here unsuccessfully (rejection letters will show that you tried) you can be successful. But if it's just for a firm/judge/nonprofit out of state, you will have a very hard time establishing residence. They will ask for credit card/ATM statements to see if you were around for the summer. Having a lease or paying a power bill likely won't be enough.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Rotor wrote:

The legal test for residency is an intent to stay in Calif. after graduation. Staying here for 12 months makes it practically automatic. Leaving for the east coast for the summer will make it very hard to demonstrate intent to stay, but I suppose not impossible. If there is some genuinely unique opportunity that is not in Calif. (e.g. Intl Criminal Court in The Hague) or you tried to get a job here unsuccessfully (rejection letters will show that you tried) you can be successful. But if it's just for a firm/judge/nonprofit out of state, you will have a very hard time establishing residence. They will ask for credit card/ATM statements to see if you were around for the summer. Having a lease or paying a power bill likely won't be enough.

Thanks for the info, but that's really disheartening. Berkeley's tuition is already ridiculously high - coupled with a pricey CoL. And now the possibility of not being able to spend summers in DC for fear of screwing up residency...Never thought I'd say it, but I can now see the appeal of private schools: tuition rates independent of residency status.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

cylon_clone wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Thanks for the info, but that's really disheartening. Berkeley's tuition is already ridiculously high - coupled with a pricey CoL. And now the possibility of not being able to spend summers in DC for fear of screwing up residency...Never thought I'd say it, but I can now see the appeal of private schools: tuition rates independent of residency status.

Well, I think the difference between nonresidents and residents is only like $5k a year now, but I can see where you're coming from. The thing about private schools is that they have a lot more money for scholarships than the UC system does right now and award them based on merit more than need. I got $75k at UChicago and zilch at Berkeley.

I will say that depending on your career goals, it may not matter as much as you think. Our LRAP is coupled with the Federal IBR to make it so you probably won't have to pay back a single dollar if you do government or public interest work. If you work for a firm, the loans will still be a bit of a bitch coming from UCB, but you should be able to pay them off or at least significantly decrease them by the time you work BigLaw. If you're one of the unlucky people who have no desire for PI / Government but don't get a firm gig, there's always the normal IBR (20 years rather than 10).

raskolnikov

Postby raskolnikov » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 am

cylon_clone wrote:Thanks for the info, but that's really disheartening. Berkeley's tuition is already ridiculously high - coupled with a pricey CoL. And now the possibility of not being able to spend summers in DC for fear of screwing up residency...Never thought I'd say it, but I can now see the appeal of private schools: tuition rates independent of residency status.

I attended Berkeley and went back to my home state both summers (first summer because I got a firm job, second summer because I got 15 rejection letters from CA firms. I did everything else right as far as a residency petition (DL, receipts/plane tickets for vacations, all 15 rejection letters, voting stubs, insurance, bank accounts, etc.), and I was initially denied resident status. However, I appealed and was subsequently granted resident status (July after 1L, in time to be applied to my 2L tuition). So it can be done, but you have to be really meticulous about it.

For the record, I have resided in CA after graduating, so my documentation was not fraudulent despite going back to my home state both summers.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Driving to school is super easy. There's a lot near the school that you can get a pass for ($300) or just park there (works if you're not there five days a week- I've yet to get a ticket). But, it does fill up. However, the area up and behind the school has plenty of non-metered parking. You just have to be willing to move your car every 3 hours or so to avoid the permit ticket people.

Most people get their apartments lined up in July. Pet housing seems to be getting more scarce in the east bay.

commerceclause

Postby commerceclause » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 am

Hi all - I apologize in advance if these have been asked and answered. Boalt is one of the places where I have been admitted and I am planning to visit within the next month (can't make ASW unfortunately). But before the visit, was hoping to run through a few questions. They might seem minor, but these are some of the things that matter to me especially when it comes to the 'happiness' factor.

1. What's the story on the gym? I could not find too much about it on the website. Is it any good? Also, are there outdoor and/or indoor basketball courts?

2. It is kind of important to me to live within walking distance of campus. How is the housing in the area? Anything in particular regarded as being "the best"?

3. What is the dating/social scene like?

4. How involved are the FedSoc and ACS? I love the debate over interpretive philosophy, but I am hoping that it won't be lopsided on campus.

5. Is it easy to own a car there? Would it be feasible to be like, "I'm going to drive to San Fran once or twice a month for dinner," or will I have no time?

Thanks!

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 pm

commerceclause wrote:Hi all - I apologize in advance if these have been asked and answered. Boalt is one of the places where I have been admitted and I am planning to visit within the next month (can't make ASW unfortunately). But before the visit, was hoping to run through a few questions. They might seem minor, but these are some of the things that matter to me especially when it comes to the 'happiness' factor.

1. What's the story on the gym? I could not find too much about it on the website. Is it any good? Also, are there outdoor and/or indoor basketball courts?

2. It is kind of important to me to live within walking distance of campus. How is the housing in the area? Anything in particular regarded as being "the best"?

There are lots of options within walking distance, especially if you have a broad definition of walking distance. Part of the reason I haven't been to the gym (and can't give you any feedback there) is because I walk several miles each day. I think there is a wide variety of housing, from iffy apartments to brand new nice ones, to craftsman homes or mother-in-law cottages. The one thing they have in common is that they aren't cheap. I don't have any sense of any particular area or specific housing being "best" but I do think it's true (and I heard it said last year on this thread I think) that the few blocks just south of the campus (and spanning several blocks west) are heavy undergrad, fraternity row and lots of bars. So depending on how you feel about those things, that can give you some good guidance.

commerceclause wrote:3. What is the dating/social scene like?

4. How involved are the FedSoc and ACS? I love the debate over interpretive philosophy, but I am hoping that it won't be lopsided on campus.
Can't help with #3, but as to #4, I think it is pretty good. Of course, I've never attended a different law school, so I don't have a basis for comparison. But the Fed Society is quite active, while surely being outnumbered philosophically. I'm on their email list and get lots of job announcements. They put on quite a number of events and are quite well-funded. They sponsored a lunch talk with Eugene Volokh a month or so ago and I think last week they brought some judge that is expected to be nominated to the Supreme Court if, like, Santorum gets elected or something. They also co-sponsor some things with the ACS, like I think in fall there was a health care debate, and stuff like that.
commerceclause wrote:5. Is it easy to own a car there? Would it be feasible to be like, "I'm going to drive to San Fran once or twice a month for dinner," or will I have no time?

Thanks!
I have easy street parking at my house, but don't use my car during the week at all. It's not necessary to have one, for sure, but it is convenient and, I think, easy to have one. And definitely you will have time to go into SF! I don't know if you will always want to take your car, but you will and should take time at least once or twice a month to enjoy the fruits of SF.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am

I am admitted to Berkeley and WL and Chi / NYU / Penn. So this is part of my decision-making process to decide whether to accept Berkeley, or try and kill myself getting off the WL at NYU / Chi / Penn by say, retaking the LSAT in June. Since I have strong IP interests, folks on TLS in the 'choosing a law school' thread mostly advised Berkeley.
1. Have any Berkeley students had bad experiences, or what are the things you have not liked about Berkeley? If you do not want to share here, I'd be grateful if you PMd.
2. Anyone from the East Coast who moved to Berkeley? What advice would you have for an older student moving? We have had a 2-bedroom house for 8 years and a lot of stuff. Planning to dump everything that we can, but a lot of the kitchen stuff we will not be able to easily replace. So I am asking what did folks do to move: Drive a Uhaul 4000 miles (will be expensive), or use a moving company (even more $$), or dump everything?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 am

tag

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTT41Hk2vgE

Do they really enforce this? Or is it in name only? I don't use it, but also don't see why alcohol and cigarettes are federally legal and marijuana isn't when it is the least dangerous.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:57 pm

How important is it to visit during ASW as opposed to some other weekend? How do employers outside of CA look at the grading system? Is having straight Ps truly equivalent to being a median student at a peer school?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”