Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pkt63

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby pkt63 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:02 pm

On the prosecution front, the one (small) thing I would add to Tanicius' info is that within like the first 4 weeks of the fall semester, the CDO held a prosecution careers lunch. There was an ADA from the three surrounding counties (Contra Costa, Alameda, SF; one of whom had been an ADA in So Cal for a while as well). They were very passionate about their jobs. They definitely seemed to have good connections to Boalt, too.

As for housing, if you are interested in living with roommates, I'd just check out craigslist. I wasn't able to be in the area when it was time to find housing either, so this was a great way to get a place, without having to schedule meetings with landlords. I talked with my potential roommates at length, after finding something suitable on CL and it worked out just fine. You could also connect with other 0Ls after ASW/acceptance deadline when someone is likely to set up a FB group for the class of 2015. I definitely saw some of that going on on our FB page. Finally, as for where people live, I know 1Ls that live in SF, Oakland and even farther away. I've heard people say that living within the few blocks south of campus (say as far south as Dwight, maybe, including I-House) can be more "active"/loud (however you like to frame it) due to the proximity of dorms, fraternity houses and bars like Kips. I live a couple miles away and I enjoy the walk each day, but you also get a free bus pass as a student, and the area is really bike friendly.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 am

Hi all, 0L here looking for housing next fall (I deferred my admission last year so luckily can begin early...). After reviewing this thread and searching this forum thoroughly for advice on housing, I have a few questions for wise 1-2-3Ls:

* Can any current students recommend their 1BR or studio close to the law school (15-20 min walk max)? If you're planning on moving out and liked your place, I would be interested in speaking with you about taking over your lease / apartment. Please PM; I'll make this super easy for you and would love to treat you to drinks or food when we meet next year as a token of my appreciation.

* I'm based on the East Coast and am wondering what options exist to seal the deal early, besides on-campus housing. Specifically, can you recommend apartment complexes (studio or 1BR) that are quiet and close to campus that I could look into and deal with remotely? The only name that popped up in my searches was Cambridge Apartments (@ Durant and Telegraph) but I don't know if they're any good. I'm willing to pay more for convenience and quality. A furnished apartment would ideal.

* When is a good time to search for housing on-site? Basically, I'm wondering if first or second week of August is really a big competitive mess for few worthwhile options off campus. I'm also wondering when is too early to start looking. I read on one of the posts that looking before the first week of July means you can't find a lease that begins on August 1st or later. Has that been your experience as well?

* I know views on Manville diverge on TLS, but even thought it's small, if it's quiet, clean and convenient, I might give it a shot for the first year. Are some units better/bigger/quieter than others in the building?

Thanks a ton!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Do you know anyone that transferred there from another bay area school? How'd they like Boalt compared to their old school?

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I have met a few people that transferred but I didn't talk to them in depth about their transfer experience, sorry.

As for apartment hunting, I was looking for roommates, so I also don't have a lot of experience to share there. But I started looking in May on Craigslist, hoping for an August 1 lease and yeah, there was like 1 every great once in a while, where most were for June 1 or before. I did find one late May/early June for mid August, which was perfect, but again I only found that because my current roommate chose to post it early so they could plan ahead and get to know a new roommate. I'm not sure if landlords do that. I was also pretty desperate because I was out of the country almost all of June and July so I thought I better have something in place. However, when I was back in early August, I still did see a number of postings on our FB group about people looking for roommates for an apartment they had just found. I didn't look at Craigslist anymore, of course, so who knows. TL;DR: Most postings on CL seem to be for leases starting the next first of month.

matvei

Postby matvei » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Did this proposal get approved? Is this how it'd be next year and do you think, as current law students, that it'd be a big deal?

http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2011/10/pr ... ction.html

forgot the link...

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:Do you know anyone that transferred there from another bay area school? How'd they like Boalt compared to their old school?

I know people who transferred from Davis and Hastings and they all seem exceedingly happy with the decision. One woman landed a job with Latham that she guessed she would have had zero shot at from her old school. Most are extremely social with nontransfers so I think they've enjoyed it beyond the professional opportunities too.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:43 pm

matvei wrote:Did this proposal get approved? Is this how it'd be next year and do you think, as current law students, that it'd be a big deal?

http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2011/10/pr ... ction.html

forgot the link...

I don't think we've heard yet. I think it will be a good thing for rankings-- more $/student better faculty/student ratio etc.-- but neutral (maybe ever so slightly negative) in pedagogical impact. The diff between 90 in a supermod and 120 isn't that great (and could mean being on call less).

Could be bad for a cousin of mine who is applying as a reach.

hownowbrowncow

Postby hownowbrowncow » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Howdy Boalties! So I've been accepted, very psyched about heading out there. I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions I had:

1. What would a normal M-F day look like in terms of "this is when I wake up, this is how long I'm in class, this is when I get to work out," etc.

2. Can anyone speak to the Environmental Law program and the Clean Technology certificate?

3. How much success have Boalties had in the non-profit, ngo market? Lots of opportunities in the Bay Area for externships and the like?

4. Anyone know Boalties going to work in Austin, TX?

5. Anyone know anything about yoga studios around Berkeley?

6. Live music scene? Pretty good? Anyone seen some good shows lately?

And finally
7. Farmer's markets, fresh food, Trader Joe's....I'm assuming it being Berkeley, these are in large supply?

Feel free to answer any and all at whim. Really enjoying y'alls convos btw : )

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm

hownowbrowncow wrote:Howdy Boalties! So I've been accepted, very psyched about heading out there.
Congrats! I am so glad I chose Boalt, and I would be happy to help answer questions where I can.

1. What would a normal M-F day look like in terms of "this is when I wake up, this is how long I'm in class, this is when I get to work out," etc.
They are pretty different. This semester, I have one day that is pretty heavy (4 classes, about 4.25 hours of class) and one day that I have only one class, 1 hour 10 minutes. I have one day that I don't have class until 2:15pm, but I am trying to make myself get up at the same time as the other days and go to campus fairly early still, you know, treating it like a job. Many of the days, I go to a lunch talk that is happening at the law school. Free lunch and interesting, diverse topics with professionals or experts in the field! If I don't do that, I bring lunch or eat at Zeb (the law school's cafe), and never leave the building during the day. I avoid cabin fever by rotating study places throughout the day. Each of the library floors/locations (there are 4 main ones) have a different vibe and view.
2. Can anyone speak to the Environmental Law program and the Clean Technology certificate?
I'm just a 1L, so not really. The one thing I have heard from 2Ls that heard from their SA employers is that these certificates don't really matter a lot. There are some classes I think employers will advise you to take, but from what I understand, there's not an uptick in marketability because of the certificate. Based on my sample size of like 2. So yeah, maybe take that with two handfuls of salt.
3. How much success have Boalties had in the non-profit, ngo market? Lots of opportunities in the Bay Area for externships and the like?
seems like tons! PIPS day (public interest/public sector) is coming up in a few weeks so we'll see. That's hosted at Hastings and people come from various law schools to interview with tons of PIPS employers then. It seems like a great system they have with great opportunities. I know a few friends that have already obtained non-profit internships. And (any other Boaltie feel free to correct me if I get this wrong since I am just going to write what's in my head without verifying) the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) was started through Boalt (staff/students, something like that) and they have tons of programs and hire people over the summer as well as offer tons of clinical experiences to join throughout the year. As I was scrolling through the postings on bLine and for PIPS day, it seems like there are so many opportunities, but I don't know how competitive they are. I haven't applied to anymore, as I recently got an offer for my top summer placement!
4. Anyone know Boalties going to work in Austin, TX?

5. Anyone know anything about yoga studios around Berkeley?
no to #4. As for yoga studios, I think I pass at least 2 on my walk to campus each day, not to mention pilates, pure barre type places and more. Now, I haven't been to any of them, but there are a lot!
6. Live music scene? Pretty good? Anyone seen some good shows lately?
I only have a small amount of experience to speak from, but yes, it seems like there are a lot, nearby and in SF.
And finally
7. Farmer's markets, fresh food, Trader Joe's....I'm assuming it being Berkeley, these are in large supply?
Uh, yeah. Definitely. Well, actually, I don't know about farmer's markets per se. Haven't looked into that. But Berkeley Bowl is like a produce heaven. There are your standard Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. There is a little fruit market across from the Safeway near Rockridge. One thing I haven't looked into that I loved in my old hometown was a CSA membership (which I love even more than farmer's markets, which can be deceptive sometimes), but it looks like there are a lot of choices in that regard as well (http://www.ecovian.com/s/berkeley-ca/csa).

Hope that helps!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:46 am

Congrats browncow! Pkt gave a pretty good overview of most of the things. If anything, he underrepresented things like yoga studios and farmers markets.

As far as the music scene goes, yes there is a ton of stuff around here, but what you do will depend on what kind of music you are looking for. Punk? 924 Gilman is world famous and was the launching pad for (among others) Green Day. Blue Grass? The Hardly Strictly festival in GG Park (SF) is always well populated with Boalties. As is the more wide-ranging Outside Lands. A bunch of my friends are also going to Coachella this year (Radiohead, Dr. Dre w/Snoop Dogg). Not to mention all the regular tours that come through SF. I saw the Paul McCartney show in 2010 and the Go-Gos 30th Anniv. Tour at the Fillmore (another world famous venue). (I'm an old guy so these were more up my alley, but you get my point.)

The Greek Theater (on campus & site of graduation) also has performances so you may not even have to go into the city!

--------

As for Austin TX, yes, I have a friend (maybe two) going to Austin--and a handful going to other places in Tx. Goodness knows why, but to each his/her own. :wink:

Congrats again.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Rotor wrote:Congrats browncow! Pkt gave a pretty good overview of most of the things. If anything, he underrepresented things like yoga studios and farmers markets.

As far as the music scene goes, yes there is a ton of stuff around here, but what you do will depend on what kind of music you are looking for. Punk? 924 Gilman is world famous and was the launching pad for (among others) Green Day. Blue Grass? The Hardly Strictly festival in GG Park (SF) is always well populated with Boalties. As is the more wide-ranging Outside Lands. A bunch of my friends are also going to Coachella this year (Radiohead, Dr. Dre w/Snoop Dogg). Not to mention all the regular tours that come through SF. I saw the Paul McCartney show in 2010 and the Go-Gos 30th Anniv. Tour at the Fillmore (another world famous venue). (I'm an old guy so these were more up my alley, but you get my point.)

The Greek Theater (on campus & site of graduation) also has performances so you may not even have to go into the city!

Also the Fox Theater in Oakland is a great new venue. Kind of expensive, but I've seen some cool bands there like Spoon.

bigtexmex

Postby bigtexmex » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too.

Housing?

How expensive is it for a decent studio or one bedroom apartment?

At this point, Berkeley has made it easy since they are the only top 20 school to get back to me. I'm pretty sure I'm taking the acceptance unless some other top 20 school makes me an offer I simply can not refuse (which would be hard anyway).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 am

bigtexmex wrote:I posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too.

Housing?

At this point, Berkeley has made it easy since they are the only top 20 school to get back to me. I'm pretty sure I'm taking the acceptance unless some other top 20 school makes me an offer I simply can not refuse (which would be hard anyway).

Unless you live in Oakland and either drive or take long bike ride / commute, probably $800-$1100 for a studio and $1100+ for a 1BR. You'll find exceptions to the rule, especially on the north side of campus, but for the most part you'll want to find a roommate or two if you want to pay under $1000 and not live in a shitty location / apartment.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:12 am

Kronk wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:I posted this elsewhere, but I'll ask here too.

Housing?

Unless you live in Oakland and either drive or take long bike ride / commute, probably $800-$1100 for a studio and $1100+ for a 1BR. You'll find exceptions to the rule, especially on the north side of campus, but for the most part you'll want to find a roommate or two if you want to pay under $1000 and not live in a shitty location / apartment.

If you do see rents for less than that, don't sign a lease without viewing the place and the neighborhood. Craigslist lists a lot of places as "close to UC Berkeley" that are really not, and that is why the rent is lower.

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Do any of the Boalt 1Ls, 2Ls or 3Ls know anything about the Berkeley Harvard exchange program? Has anyone participated in this exchange program or known anybody who did? If so, what was it like? Was it hard to get into?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

me!0712 wrote:Do any of the Boalt 1Ls, 2Ls or 3Ls know anything about the Berkeley Harvard exchange program? Has anyone participated in this exchange program or known anybody who did? If so, what was it like? Was it hard to get into?

Six each year are selected to attend. I have no idea how competitive it is though because I don't know how many people applied. If you are considering doing it, you need to be careful with your program before then (externships, etc.) because there is a limit to the number of external credits you are allowed.

The ones I've talked with have been mostly positive about the program overall--very excited about the academics, less so about the intangibles. Although the one whose wife stayed on the east coast while he was in Berk has little negative to say other than he feels a bit like he is missing a little something special by being away from the people here. (You prob. already know this, but you spend your entire 3L year away at H.)

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Does anyone have an idea if Boalt is easily accessible from Travis Air Force Base?

I am going to have to be really creative on the scheduling if I am going to avoid being homeless the first day of class, with a car parked outside filled with all my stuff, and East Coast crud on the tires.

me!0712

Postby me!0712 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Rotor wrote:
me!0712 wrote:Do any of the Boalt 1Ls, 2Ls or 3Ls know anything about the Berkeley Harvard exchange program? Has anyone participated in this exchange program or known anybody who did? If so, what was it like? Was it hard to get into?

Six each year are selected to attend. I have no idea how competitive it is though because I don't know how many people applied. If you are considering doing it, you need to be careful with your program before then (externships, etc.) because there is a limit to the number of external credits you are allowed.

The ones I've talked with have been mostly positive about the program overall--very excited about the academics, less so about the intangibles. Although the one whose wife stayed on the east coast while he was in Berk has little negative to say other than he feels a bit like he is missing a little something special by being away from the people here. (You prob. already know this, but you spend your entire 3L year away at H.)

Oh ok. Thanks for that info!! Im not too sure about doing the program myself but it seemed interesting and I would consider it.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Rotor wrote:

Thanks for the useful info. Any insights into whether you get to keep your B scholly for the 3rd year if you decide to go to H? I wonder how school A feels about paying big money so that you can attend school B...

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 pm

While we are on the topic, what advantages to people think there are to this program? I mean, you aren't getting the HLS name on your JD right? So it's just a matter of if someone knows of a researcher there they really want to work with or take a class from, or there is a clinic or center there that is really suited to them that doesn't exist at Boalt? Just curious.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 am

pkt63 wrote:While we are on the topic, what advantages to people think there are to this program? I mean, you aren't getting the HLS name on your JD right? So it's just a matter of if someone knows of a researcher there they really want to work with or take a class from, or there is a clinic or center there that is really suited to them that doesn't exist at Boalt? Just curious.

I think everyone has their own reasons. You are correct, you don't get HLS on your degree, but you do get to put it on your resume, so that may pull some weight. In addition to the faculty contacts, you also get to know some of your peers, so that could be helpful somewhere down the road too. One friend, I know geography was a key consideration. Another I think just wanted to do it.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm wondering if anybody has experience or know of people living in any of Berkeley's co-op houses? Can you tell me/us about the vibe there? Is it more hostel/dorm or hippy fraternity? And how difficult is it to get into the house that you really want?

The idea of living so close to campus and receiving daily meals for less than $900/month is appealing. I lived in dorms all through undergrad and didn't mind it too much. And, considering I don't know anybody in the San Francisco area - besides distant cousins I've never met - it might be nice to stay with an assortment of people.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 am

cylon_clone wrote:I'm wondering if anybody has experience or know of people living in any of Berkeley's co-op houses? Can you tell me/us about the vibe there? Is it more hostel/dorm or hippy fraternity? And how difficult is it to get into the house that you really want?

The idea of living so close to campus and receiving daily meals for less than $900/month is appealing. I lived in dorms all through undergrad and didn't mind it too much. And, considering I don't know anybody in the San Francisco area - besides distant cousins I've never met - it might be nice to stay with an assortment of people.

From what I understand the co-ops are not a good study environment. Most are pretty crazy party places. If there are any specifically for grad students (there might be, I don't remember), those might be better. I don't know of any law students who live in co-ops but maybe someone else can tell you if there are.
If you want to meet people and live with an assortment then I recommend ihouse for the social scene.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:11 am

cylon_clone wrote:I'm wondering if anybody has experience or know of people living in any of Berkeley's co-op houses? Can you tell me/us about the vibe there? Is it more hostel/dorm or hippy fraternity? And how difficult is it to get into the house that you really want?

I know of two people who are in co-ops. They both like it well enough despite having to put up with some idiosyncrasies--like *that* guy who sends out scathing emails to the house about the unidentified person who put an unauthorized item into the recycling bin.

One is there for the second straight year so it must be worth it to her to stay there.

Wish I had something more concrete to tell you.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:25 pm

I tried to apply to the co-ops because it did sound easy and inexpensive. Plus, they do have grad-only houses, so I thought that would be great. But then I got the wait list and I was like on p.7 of 13. It was loooong. I don't know how far down the wait list they end up going, because I just abandoned ship and found another place. One of my classmates apparently didn't get in either, but she's been doing a meal plan and you can get house points, so I'm sure, if she applies, she'll have the seniority to actually get in to one of the houses for next year. In other words, I'm not sure how easy it is to get in with zero points, but my classmates seemed please with having a meal plan.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”