Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bilbobaggins

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby bilbobaggins » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:30 am

pkt63 wrote:
Rotor wrote:b) I've heard it's to cut down on gunnerish tendencies (so people don't go out and try to read way ahead without guidance from the prof).

Well, so much for that. We all registered for classes (well, 2 classes) today and I guess found out what sections (mod? supermod?) we are in. A classmate made a google spreadsheet for us all, and another classmate found the link to which professor teaches which class, and their reading list. So, I guess I know now that I have Civ Pro with Swift and Crim with Simon, and thir respective book assignments. But, I still can't get to a place where I know what times/days those classes will meet! Baaaaahhh. Anyway, anyone have thoughts on those two professors to PM me? Or is there is a site with reviews?

Does everyone take Civ Pro (as well as LRW) their first semester? All of us so far on the FB group have had one or another section of Civ Pro. I do feel like I've heard that's the most boring and complex of the 5 core classes?

Swift is regarded as one of the best teachers at the school. You're lucky to have her your first semester.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:49 am

Last edited by BackToTheOldHouse on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:55 pm

wondering if any 2/3Ls have advice on deciding between CARC and IRAP for SLIPS. I thought I would have an instinct for one or the other after the info sessions, but they seem really similar. Maybe just that CARC is a lot bigger. Anyway, CARC is having their first training tomorrow from 9-2 so I need to figure it out. I'm actually exhausted thinking about sitting there for that long tomorrow, when I'd just really like to sleep in. But that's a really crappy reason to choose between the two...and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me something else!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 am

pkt63 wrote:wondering if any 2/3Ls have advice on deciding between CARC and IRAP for SLIPS. I thought I would have an instinct for one or the other after the info sessions, but they seem really similar. Maybe just that CARC is a lot bigger. Anyway, CARC is having their first training tomorrow from 9-2 so I need to figure it out. I'm actually exhausted thinking about sitting there for that long tomorrow, when I'd just really like to sleep in. But that's a really crappy reason to choose between the two...and I'm hoping someone might be able to give me something else!

I did IRAP and enjoyed it. I think the two are so similar you cant go wrong. We even consult their training manuals.

canon

Postby canon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Fall LSAT is coming up so I assume people will be readying their apps in the next few weeks. Or at least, you should be.

I'd be more than happy to answer questions to the best of my ability -- just unsure how often I'll sign on to TLS. Other 1Ls should chime in, too!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Another 1L here. I'll try to answer questions as well :D .

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Another 1L here. I'll try to answer questions as well :D .

Are we really qualified to answer any questions besides, like, the layout of the building and general area? :?

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Tanicius wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Another 1L here. I'll try to answer questions as well :D .

Are we really qualified to answer any questions besides, like, the layout of the building and general area? :?

But, I've read Pennoyer . . . :cry:

Besides, the layout of the building is more confusing than Pennoyer . . .

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

But, I've read Pennoyer . . . :cry:

Besides, the layout of the building is more confusing than Pennoyer . . .

Don't worry. 2Ls and 3Ls aren't shy about jumping in on the 1Ls' taking questions page.

Though I'm not sure we will be any more help with the building layout than you all. :lol:

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 am

I love the crazy layout. I study in a different place between every class and try to find a different way to get there or leave. I love peeking into the nooks and crannies and totally expect to find a secret passageway from the Roof Garden to the Student Center any day now.

aham2005

Postby aham2005 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Did anyone take Margaret Thomas for Civil procedure last year or two years ago? I'm trying to look for her outlines.

canon

Postby canon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:02 am

Bump even though we are crazy busy.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:02 am

Not sure if anyone is reading, but I should be visiting the campus in a few weeks! Any ideas of what I can do? Just walk around campus? Are there tours? Would you recommend sitting in on a class? I haven't even been admitted yet so I'm not sure what exactly I can do/see on campus yet.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Sitting in on a class could be good, although I'm not sure that would give you a good idea of what might or might not set Boalt apart from other schools. I'd definitely check out the calendar (linked on the homepage) to see if there are any talks you might want to go to on that day. Maybe someone at the library can give you a tour. I'm thinking if you consult with the Dean of Admission's office, they might be able to give you some other ideas about what to do/who to meet with. From my perspective now, I'd love to meet with someone that could tell me more about the clinics and the 1L "SLIPS" (which are 1L clinics), a little about the journals and student groups, maybe they have current students that are willing to meet with prospective students to talk about the average day and what their summer interviews were like. I guess the Admissions Office must help people with this frequently, and they are very helpful people.

My only other suggestion is to check the calendar at the beginning of each week. I love getting the weekly calendar email and deciding all the exciting talks and lunches I will go to that week. Of course, I can't compare it to other schools, but this is what I love the most so far about Boalt. Being exposed to so many interesting topics, fields, people, and (almost always) with free lunch!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:13 am

freestallion wrote:Not sure if anyone is reading, but I should be visiting the campus in a few weeks! Any ideas of what I can do? Just walk around campus? Are there tours? Would you recommend sitting in on a class? I haven't even been admitted yet so I'm not sure what exactly I can do/see on campus yet.

Things you should definitely do:
* Talk to all the cool students/faculty/staff at the law school. Don't be shy, they're nice.
* Ask for a library tour. Mostly because the librarians will be happy that someone cares as much as they do about the new digs, but also because it's kinda difficult to navigate the library (err, the entire building) without a tour.
* Sit in on a killer class if you can. I know I wouldn't find it even the least bit awkward to have a prospective student sitting in, so long as your down with being cold called :twisted:. Maybe ask the admissions office for suggestions on this.
* Ask if you can see where the journals and clinics are housed. This is a pretty cool party of the building, as it is where students get shit done on a pretty high level. If you see a door open, pop into one of the journals and introduce yourself. I'm sure you'll find a bolatie ready to share some info with you.
* Walk around campus. DEFINITELY don't just hang at the law school The campus has a lot to offer. Bring some walking shoes, as it's a pretty big campus.
Walk around off campus. Head up Telegraph if you've never done it before. Head to the gourmet ghetto if you like to eat. Head to the hills if you need a hike. Head to the north of campus if you want to pray (the Graduate Theological Union is over there, and so are some great churches/seminaries. It's called Holy Hill). The point is there is a lot going on around the campus within walking distance. Again, bring walking shoes.

I'm sure there is a bunch of other things you could do, so hopefully others will chime in, but I'm tired of typing. Have a great visit!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:57 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
freestallion wrote:Not sure if anyone is reading, but I should be visiting the campus in a few weeks! Any ideas of what I can do? Just walk around campus? Are there tours? Would you recommend sitting in on a class? I haven't even been admitted yet so I'm not sure what exactly I can do/see on campus yet.

Things you should definitely do:
* Talk to all the cool students/faculty/staff at the law school. Don't be shy, they're nice.
* Ask for a library tour. Mostly because the librarians will be happy that someone cares as much as they do about the new digs, but also because it's kinda difficult to navigate the library (err, the entire building) without a tour.
* Sit in on a killer class if you can. I know I wouldn't find it even the least bit awkward to have a prospective student sitting in, so long as your down with being cold called :twisted:. Maybe ask the admissions office for suggestions on this.
* Ask if you can see where the journals and clinics are housed. This is a pretty cool party of the building, as it is where students get shit done on a pretty high level. If you see a door open, pop into one of the journals and introduce yourself. I'm sure you'll find a bolatie ready to share some info with you.
* Walk around campus. DEFINITELY don't just hang at the law school The campus has a lot to offer. Bring some walking shoes, as it's a pretty big campus.
Walk around off campus. Head up Telegraph if you've never done it before. Head to the gourmet ghetto if you like to eat. Head to the hills if you need a hike. Head to the north of campus if you want to pray (the Graduate Theological Union is over there, and so are some great churches/seminaries. It's called Holy Hill). The point is there is a lot going on around the campus within walking distance. Again, bring walking shoes.

I'm sure there is a bunch of other things you could do, so hopefully others will chime in, but I'm tired of typing. Have a great visit!

This is great, thank you so much! I wasn't sure if trying to talk to faculty before even being admitted would seem presumptuous. There is a faculty member who's work I am really interested in. Do you think I could email in advance and find out if I can stop by, or would that be weird? I guess I will call the admissions office and find out if they have any tours.

I would also love to sit in on a class but terrified of being cold called :shock: Thanks so much for all the tips!

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:16 pm

You can't be cold called if the instructor doesn't know your name or have it on their list. They never just call on "guy with the plaid shirt, baseball cap and funky goatee" or something. :wink:

An email a day or so in advance about sitting in would be awesome (presuming s/he is teaching something this semester), and a request would be excellent etiquette. At the class, you could go up and introduce yourself so they can put a face to the name and it might be a good way for you to strike up a dialogue with them, if they have time after, or even have a continued email correspondence.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 pm

pkt63 wrote:You can't be cold called if the instructor doesn't know your name or have it on their list. They never just call on "guy with the plaid shirt, baseball cap and funky goatee" or something. :wink:

An email a day or so in advance about sitting in would be awesome (presuming s/he is teaching something this semester), and a request would be excellent etiquette. At the class, you could go up and introduce yourself so they can put a face to the name and it might be a good way for you to strike up a dialogue with them, if they have time after, or even have a continued email correspondence.

Really :shock: ? One of my instructors just makes up names when calling on people (or at least that is how it seems). All kidding aside, you won't be cold called if you sit in on a class.

Hope you decide to visit and fall in love with the place!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
pkt63 wrote:You can't be cold called if the instructor doesn't know your name or have it on their list. They never just call on "guy with the plaid shirt, baseball cap and funky goatee" or something. :wink:

Really :shock: ? One of my instructors just makes up names when calling on people (or at least that is how it seems). All kidding aside, you won't be cold called if you sit in on a class.

Hope you decide to visit and fall in love with the place!

Thanks! I'm definitely going to visit, and I'm already in love with Berkeley. Since my SO lives nearby, it's really my first choice! But I'm nervous about getting in :( Anyway, will hope for the best --and thanks!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:54 pm

When do the offices open back up and grades start getting posted?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Tanicius wrote:When do the offices open back up and grades start getting posted?

Some time in January. Anywhere from about when classes start to two weeks after.

matvei

Postby matvei » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 am

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Boalt, and currently considering either Boalt or UVA for next year. Right now, my ideal career would be working as a DA, and I hope to end up in California in the long run. I was wondering if anybody has some insight into how supportive Boalt is in this sort of career path. I know of course how supportive they are in public interest and public service in general, but if anybody has specifics, such as info about summer work at DA's offices, externships during the school year, knowledge of classmates getting positions, etc. I would really appreciate the help.

Also, does anybody have any insight on mock trial/moot court (aware of the difference btw the two)?

Major thanks in advance! If something is too personal, feel free to PM me. I'm oscillating between these two schools and I don't know if I can last until April for my questions to be answered :)

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm

matvei wrote:Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to Boalt, and currently considering either Boalt or UVA for next year. Right now, my ideal career would be working as a DA, and I hope to end up in California in the long run. I was wondering if anybody has some insight into how supportive Boalt is in this sort of career path. I know of course how supportive they are in public interest and public service in general, but if anybody has specifics, such as info about summer work at DA's offices, externships during the school year, knowledge of classmates getting positions, etc. I would really appreciate the help.

Also, does anybody have any insight on mock trial/moot court (aware of the difference btw the two)?

Major thanks in advance! If something is too personal, feel free to PM me. I'm oscillating between these two schools and I don't know if I can last until April for my questions to be answered :)

This is probably going to out me, but whatever. I was just going to make an earnest suggestion that if you come here, you join the mock trial team, and then I read further and saw your question about it. Turns out you're in a lot of luck dude. Some of my best friends are upperclassmen on the mock trial team who have secured prosecutor positions in the Bay. It's definitely a great way to prove to employers that trial is something you're good at and something you want to do for a career.

I didn't know this when I accepted at Boalt, but it actually has the strongest trial program in the T-14. At a glance that's not saying much because the T-14 doesn't really care about securing trial jobs for most of its graduates, but our program has grown to massive proportions in the last few years, and we are starting to regularly beat traditional powerhouses and win regional competitions of multiple different tournament circuits throughout the year. Already this year, one of our trial teams and one of our moot court teams have already qualified for nationals in Fall tournaments. Altogether, we have about 30 people on the trial program, split up among about 8 different teams and six different tournaments, four in the fall and two in the spring. Every team has at least two dedicated coaches, all of them either program coaching staff or practicing attorneys, and our resources are plentiful enough to send our teams across the country without anything but a $45/student fee at the beginning of the season.

All of this results in a large variety of connections for summer internships, and the relationships you make with the coaching staff and upperclassman is a benefit all on its own. It's a truly remarkable program run by students and overseen by two very passionate but cool-headed attorneys/professors who give the student teams plenty of space in making decisions for themselves. I can't recommend trying out for the Board of Advocates enough.

P.S. Are you at Cal for undergrad? If you did/are doing AMTA, PM me because I want to know who you are.

matvei

Postby matvei » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Last edited by matvei on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 pm

matvei wrote:
P.S. Are you at Cal for undergrad? If you did/are doing AMTA, PM me because I want to know who you are.

Haha I am not, actually. I attend a younger sister of Cal farther south... and I didn't do mock trial in ugrad.

Thank you so much for the advice though buddy, it is definitely going to come into play. Also, regarding housing, I'm guessing most law students live in smaller complexes/duplexes rather than large complexes. Is there anywhere specific where 1Ls and Boalties in general live? And was the apartment search difficult?

Apartments are easy to find if you are in the area and able to meet landlords. Otherwise you would need someone you know in the area to visit for you. Generally there isn't an area that law students tend to live in, but a lot of people like the I-House. I don't like the prospect of living on a bed sized for a high school student, so I didn't consider it though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”