Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xxinfinity

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby xxinfinity » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 pm

hello all

I'm very excited to be starting at Berkeley this fall. I'm also planning a trip during winter break.
What do most students do over winter break?

Also I noticed that the term begins on the 2nd but instructions begins on the 9th - what exactly happens when the term begins, do professors instruct homework for that period?

I hope to plan my trip this week so really appreciate any answers!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:41 pm

xxinfinity wrote:hello all

I'm very excited to be starting at Berkeley this fall. I'm also planning a trip during winter break.

Also I noticed that the term begins on the 2nd but instructions begins on the 9th - what exactly happens when the term begins, do professors instruct homework for that period?

Technically you will have some reading for that first day, yeah. But I got back from vacation at 7am into SFO Monday that classes started, and it wasn't that big of a deal. Although I got cold called in Contracts and had no idea what I was talking about.

Usually you'll be able to do all of those first reading assignments in 1-2 hours. Just plan your vacation and don't worry about class, is my opinion. Even if you have to miss a day.

xxinfinity

Postby xxinfinity » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:50 pm

I like the way you think.

Thanks so much for that quick reply!!!

Kronk wrote:
xxinfinity wrote:hello all

Technically you will have some reading for that first day, yeah. But I got back from vacation at 7am into SFO Monday that classes started, and it wasn't that big of a deal. Although I got cold called in Contracts and had no idea what I was talking about.

Usually you'll be able to do all of those first reading assignments in 1-2 hours. Just plan your vacation and don't worry about class, is my opinion. Even if you have to miss a day.
Last edited by xxinfinity on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 am

I'm living in North Berkeley for 1L (hopefully - just put in the app). I'll consider SF for 2L.

On a somewhat related note, I really hope the Bay Bridge west span bike path becomes a reality. It seems somewhat silly to include it on the new east span but not connect to SF.

expat17

Postby expat17 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:25 pm

First of all - thanks so much guys for offering up your expertise!

My question is also on housing. I'm looking for basically a "crash pad" for 1L - a studio that's basic-nice, close to campus, and can help me maximize study-gym-sleep-study time. i know there's been some discussions on neighborhoods, but does anyone know of a particular apartment complex or studio-unit block that was especially nice/convenient/cheap/etc? did anyone have a studio 1L and would particularly recommend their landlord and any other open units they might have?

(ideally with parking, but i know that's hard to come by ...)

thanks!

canon

Postby canon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:26 am

Can't seem to find an answer to this so I'll try here.

I know at some schools you can take more out in loans initially (PLUS loans, unsubsidized direct) and then return the unused portion without being charged for the interest. Does Boalt do this? Anyone know how exactly this would work?

I would like to take out less, but I don't want to feel especially pressed for money one month because I splurged a bit on something.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 am

Can't seem to find an answer to this so I'll try here.

I know at some schools you can take more out in loans initially (PLUS loans, unsubsidized direct) and then return the unused portion without being charged for the interest. Does Boalt do this? Anyone know how exactly this would work?

I would like to take out less, but I don't want to feel especially pressed for money one month because I splurged a bit on something.

I am not sure but I recommend asking Candi in financial aid (financial aid@law.berkeley.edu). That woman was a godsend for me many times over this year. She is knowledgable and sincere, though a bit spread thin...

forward

Postby forward » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:33 am

Are budget increases for relocation and computer purchases fairly automatic provided the required documentation is in order? What about other items specified on the appeals form (eg. renters insurance)?

How long does it take for appeals to be processed?

Edit: To clarify, I'm curious whether there is a review of these requests with regard to whether an increase request is meritorious - as opposed to a simple verification that the proper documentation (receipts, cancelled, checks, lease agreements, etc) has been provided.
Last edited by forward on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:45 am

expat17 wrote:First of all - thanks so much guys for offering up your expertise!

My question is also on housing. I'm looking for basically a "crash pad" for 1L - a studio that's basic-nice, close to campus, and can help me maximize study-gym-sleep-study time. i know there's been some discussions on neighborhoods, but does anyone know of a particular apartment complex or studio-unit block that was especially nice/convenient/cheap/etc? did anyone have a studio 1L and would particularly recommend their landlord and any other open units they might have?

(ideally with parking, but i know that's hard to come by ...)

thanks!

Not a Boalt student, but I was a Cal undergrad.

If you're not terribly picky about things, look into the student coops. The apartments and graduate houses are actually quite clean, ridiculously affordable, and close to campus (don't live in the undergrad or mixed houses unless you're a damn dirty hippie).

IIRC (it was years ago that I lived there) a lot of the houses have parking spaces and you can get a city street permit if you sign a lease in one of 'em.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 am

Quick question about internet service / cable providers in the Bay Area:

It seems like we can sign up with AT&T, Comcast, Clear or HughesNet. I've used RCN here in DC and friends of mine who've opted for Comcast haven't been totally satisfied. Has anybody had any experience with these providers? Is any one better than the others? Any we should stay away from?

Thanks again, everyone!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:07 pm

paisaaa wrote:Quick question about internet service / cable providers in the Bay Area:

It seems like we can sign up with AT&T, Comcast, Clear or HughesNet. I've used RCN here in DC and friends of mine who've opted for Comcast haven't been totally satisfied. Has anybody had any experience with these providers? Is any one better than the others? Any we should stay away from?

Thanks again, everyone!

I have Comcast and have had no problems to speak of. I did have a problem a while back that wound up being in lines the landlord installed. Comcast figured out the problem and fixed for free since it was just before it went into the wall.

That said, I'm not a particularly heavy user so if you're doing online gaming while streaming the entire Netflix library and using the next incarnation of Napster/Kazaa/BitTorrent/etc. I can't really talk about high end performance. I also get the bundle, so all together it's an OK deal, but can't really compare if all you're looking for is internet.

Now, I'm in DC for the summer-- and hopefully long term. Can you tell me a little bit about RCN?

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:25 pm

paisaaa wrote:Quick question about internet service / cable providers in the Bay Area:

Thanks again, everyone!

I moved to Berkeley earlier this summer and am having decent luck with AT&T u-verse. The installation was a huge pain, but the service seems decent - we're paying for 12mbps download speed and consistently getting around 11.5. No outages so far, but I can't really speak to their reliability yet. I've also talked to some people in SF that are happy with Comcast but am not sure if that holds true for East Bay as well.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am

This was beyond helpful. Thank you, you two!

Rotor - PMing you re: RCN in DC

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Comcast works pretty well, but it's always a crapshoot as to how far you are from the street connection.

paisaaa

Postby paisaaa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks again, everyone! This saved me the gamble.

forward

Postby forward » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:10 pm

How does one get a decent price on ComCast cable & internet (or is the mere thought an unrealistic dream)? Do they offer student specials?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 pm

forward wrote:How does one get a decent price on ComCast cable & internet (or is the mere thought an unrealistic dream)? Do they offer student specials?

If you get Cable/Internet/Phone you'll get a bundle deal. If you sign a 2 year contract, you'll get an even bigger discount over buying each separately and without the contract. However, whether that price is "decent" is up to you. Of course, if you wouldn't otherwise buy landline services, the savings aren't really all that great.

They do not offer student specials as far as I know-- but if you don't buy the bundle, you can get a smaller channel line up to reduce costs. But then you're stuck with only 10 or so broadcast and public channels.

Wish I had a secret password, etc. to get a better deal...but I don't.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, my apartment is lined up, all my crap is moved from LA, relaxing every day, and I am sleeping profusely; I think i am ready! I really lucked out with my apartment since it is a good 7 minute walk to the LS and I know that 1L will have me going back and forth a lot. Is there anything big that you guys would recommend for a 0L to do in the weeks leading up to orientation? Any supplies you highly recommend that may seem unorthodox (c'mon gluesticks!)? Any mistakes that you committed that you'd like to warn us about? All i can say is, i'm freaking excited beyond measure to be a Boaltie and enthusiasm is just oozing out of me. I already rock UCB/Boalt shirts as my UCLA buds scoff at me :D.

Also, i may have read it wrong, but are we to receive reading assignments before Orientation? I could have sworn Dean Tom's email said we won't know our classes until the day of orientation.

wheretotransfer

Postby wheretotransfer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:34 am

2L transfer looking for housing/I have some places reserved for a day or 2.

If you are a boalt student 1, 2 or 3 L and want to live with another please PM me ASAP.

I need to make a decision very quickly.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:23 am

Hello upper class Boalties. I am doing some computer shopping right now and am deciding between a Macbook Pro vs. Air (if I get a Mac). Although the Air is a back-saving 1.5 pounds lighter (it feels so good!), it doesn't have a CD drive. Did you experience many classes or other activities that had materials that included CDs/DVDs? Discs really seem to be on their way out, and I'm ready to go disc drive-less, as long as it doesn't cause any problems with LS materials.

While I am posting, can I just say I am so impatient to get my fall schedule! Isn't it a bit uncommon that Boalt only gives you your class schedule two days in advance? I'm totally onboard with them doing the schedules themselves and just seeing what I end up with, but it does seem like it would be so nice if they'd give it to us a week or two in advance. Is there some reason they cannot? I just hate that I can't start planning my days (will I work out in the morning or evenings? What time do I need to leave the house? Will I have long breaks or short breaks between classes, which will affect what kind of work I can be productive with during those breaks?) and getting comfortable with the logistics of it all. I was wondering if it was all a conspiracy to make the bookstore more profitable, since with less than 48 hours, we won't have as much time for bargain hunting on our books. I guess I am extra anxious to have my schedule since I will be living away from my husband and want to be able to make flight arrangements for some of the early weekends.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 am

a) You most likely will not need an optical drive. Profs post everything they want you to have access to online (a system called "bspace"-- but you'll learn all about that soon).

b) I've heard it's to cut down on gunnerish tendencies (so people don't go out and try to read way ahead without guidance from the prof).

I do like your bookstore conspiracy though. :)

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Rotor wrote:I've heard it's to cut down on gunnerish tendencies (so people don't go out and try to read way ahead without guidance from the prof).

I guess that seems a little more legitimate than the bookstore conspiracy, and more in-line with all I've learned about Berkeley trying to defuse that kind of thing. I do appreciate not knowing which classes to a certain extent, I guess for that reason. Thanks, Rotor.

New question: any recommendations for bikes on campus? I assume bike-stealing is as rampant as on any university campus. Is the U-Lock still the best thing? Any tips on esp good or bad parking spots? Oh, another question re: lockers. I guess this might be covered in orientation, but just to get my shopping list done early (and because I didn't inspect them closely when I was there), do you just bring your own normal combo lock? And they are day-use only?

TIA! Sorry for all the little questions...I'm moving up just the Saturday before and trying to get as much in place as possible to do a lightning quick deployment when I arrive. I literally have to go furniture shopping (and build whatever needs building), buy *everything* (sheets, towels, toiletries - my free checked bags on Southwest are reserved strictly for as much of my clothes as I can fit!), go grocery shopping, buy this hypothetical bike I plan to have, meet my two roommates that I haven't met and have dinner with my aunt and grandmother, plus I hope to stop by the picnic. At least I won't have time to get nervous for the first day!

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 pm

pkt63 wrote:
Rotor wrote:I've heard it's to cut down on gunnerish tendencies (so people don't go out and try to read way ahead without guidance from the prof).

I guess that seems a little more legitimate than the bookstore conspiracy, and more in-line with all I've learned about Berkeley trying to defuse that kind of thing. I do appreciate not knowing which classes to a certain extent, I guess for that reason. Thanks, Rotor.

New question: any recommendations for bikes on campus? I assume bike-stealing is as rampant as on any university campus. Is the U-Lock still the best thing? Any tips on esp good or bad parking spots? Oh, another question re: lockers. I guess this might be covered in orientation, but just to get my shopping list done early (and because I didn't inspect them closely when I was there), do you just bring your own normal combo lock? And they are day-use only?

TIA! Sorry for all the little questions...I'm moving up just the Saturday before and trying to get as much in place as possible to do a lightning quick deployment when I arrive. I literally have to go furniture shopping (and build whatever needs building), buy *everything* (sheets, towels, toiletries - my free checked bags on Southwest are reserved strictly for as much of my clothes as I can fit!), go grocery shopping, buy this hypothetical bike I plan to have, meet my two roommates that I haven't met and have dinner with my aunt and grandmother, plus I hope to stop by the picnic. At least I won't have time to get nervous for the first day!

There are a ton of bikes on campus and I'm sure there's also a fair amount of bike related crime. However, there are some really easy ways to avoid bike related crime:

1. Don't have the most expensive bike or the worst protected bike. Anything over $800 that looks like it's over $800 is asking to get messed with.
2. Buy a good lock. Small u-locks are typically the most difficult to break, but you also want to get a high quality lock. Kryptonite u-locks are pretty much the standard and you should be safe with a level 7 rated lock or higher.
3. Bolt on your wheels. Sure, it makes it harder to change a flat, but it's ultimately the best way to avoid having to use a secondary (and generally weak) secondary chain lock. You'll also avoid having to removed your wheels every time you lock your bike. Bolt kits are generally $20 to $30.
4. Don't have expensive accessories on your bike. Cheap lights and non-fancy shifting equipment are the way to go.
5. WEAR A FUCKING HELMET AND DON'T RIDE WITH EARBUDS IN. People regularly die in the Bay Area while not wearing helmets and there's a fair amount of street and pedestrian traffic in the Bay Area, so earbuds should also be a no-no.

I've followed all of these rules for the last 7 years and have never had any problems with bike theft despite having parked my bikes in many bad neighborhoods, overnight, etc.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Rotor wrote:b) I've heard it's to cut down on gunnerish tendencies (so people don't go out and try to read way ahead without guidance from the prof).

Well, so much for that. We all registered for classes (well, 2 classes) today and I guess found out what sections (mod? supermod?) we are in. A classmate made a google spreadsheet for us all, and another classmate found the link to which professor teaches which class, and their reading list. So, I guess I know now that I have Civ Pro with Swift and Crim with Simon, and thir respective book assignments. But, I still can't get to a place where I know what times/days those classes will meet! Baaaaahhh. Anyway, anyone have thoughts on those two professors to PM me? Or is there is a site with reviews?

Does everyone take Civ Pro (as well as LRW) their first semester? All of us so far on the FB group have had one or another section of Civ Pro. I do feel like I've heard that's the most boring and complex of the 5 core classes?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:23 am

I have a question for the 3Ls. During OCI, did any firm that didn't specifically request a cover letter ask for one once you got into the interview? I have about four places that require a cover letter, but I was wondering if I should bring one for the firms that don't specify as well just in case.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”