Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IzziesGal

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby IzziesGal » Fri May 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Good luck to all the Boalties competing in the write-on competition! Hang in there - it's almost over!!!! :D

Oh.....and congrats to all of us who are officially 3Ls. We made it (somehow)!!!!

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Looking forward to being at Boalt in a couple of short months...quick question - what are the first few weeks like? Do they ease you into it or do they just launch right into classes from day 1?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri May 20, 2011 5:52 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Looking forward to being at Boalt in a couple of short months...quick question - what are the first few weeks like? Do they ease you into it or do they just launch right into classes from day 1?

Welcome to Berkeley!!! A rising 2L would probably be better for this, since my memory of 1L is starting to fail me. But from what I can recall, we had reading assignments due right away and people were expected to be ready to be on call (at least for the small "mod" sections). Your schedule might be a bit different because of the change in start dates, although I doubt it will be too different!

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better answer. :D

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Looking forward to being at Boalt in a couple of short months...quick question - what are the first few weeks like? Do they ease you into it or do they just launch right into classes from day 1?

Welcome to Berkeley!!! A rising 2L would probably be better for this, since my memory of 1L is starting to fail me. But from what I can recall, we had reading assignments due right away and people were expected to be ready to be on call (at least for the small "mod" sections). Your schedule might be a bit different because of the change in start dates, although I doubt it will be too different!

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better answer. :D

Thanks! :D Really looking forward to it! Thank you for taking questions and your very informative posts.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:01 pm

It's been a long time since I've been on TLS but I thought I'd run here and say hi! As a rising 2L, I generally remember that the work load consistently increased throughout the semester. For instance, I think my Mod's first assignment for Torts was 8 or 9 pages? You can contrast that with 50+ pages a night toward the end because our professor wanted to make sure we got to everything before the final.

You will have reading from the start and, depending on your professor, there will be cold-calling from day one. This semester, my old-school Ks professor announced on the first day: "Welcome to Contracts. The syllabus is the Table of Contents. I cold-call. First up, Ms. ________________. Read me the facts of the case."

Still, there will be time to meet your classmates, get involved in ECs and get beers. The first few weeks are overwhelming but fun.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 pm

I would just echo what SandieCohen said...

It is not insane, however I would advise 1L's not to go to the other extreme. There is a tendency for some to take it easy since it is the beginning of the semester and I think that, to an extent, that can be dangerous.

I guess, all in all, I would say this: for the first 5-7 weeks, just make sure you do all of the readings as they are assigned. Most importantly, make sure you comprehend what you are reading. With each case, stop to think about what the take-away is, and how that fits within the syllabus (i.e. why the professor assigned the case)

If you do that, you will be in great shape to begin outlining/early finals prep.

Also make sure you make time to grab beers, explore the Bay, and get to know the people you will be spending the next three years with.

But in the meantime, it isn't even June! Enjoy your summer. I do not recommend ANY summer prep. (others may disagree with this, however)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun May 22, 2011 2:55 am

Yeah. I still do all the readings. I would say just do all the readings, try to enjoy them as much as you can, and don't freak out about cold calls because really, who the fuck cares?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Kronk wrote:Yeah. I still do all the readings. I would say just do all the readings, try to enjoy them as much as you can, and don't freak out about cold calls because really, who the fuck cares?

I didn't do any readings for my two seminar classes. That sounds worse than it actually is lol. The one class wasn't a typical final exam....it was more like a "practical" application final for a business law class. And the other didn't have a final, just a paper due. The paper was on the topic of your choice, so I read for the first two weeks until I found a topic and then spent the rest of the semester reading and writing for my paper only. We were never on call so it worked.

When you're a 2L and 3L and not taking big bar classes, you can total get away with this. I pulled an H in one and the other is to be determined.....

Is this giving bad advice? Ha. I usually try to be more constructive than this. :D

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm

don't freak out about cold calls because really, who the fuck cares?

This is good advice. People go nuts about it and I never understand why. If there is no participation grade, and your exam will be read anonymously, it is irrelevant.

Also, to add to my advice above: always go to class and listen to every word your professor says. Lots of people think they can just rely on supplements, and sometimes you can; however other times professors test for the materially that they taught. They want to read an exam as if it was written by their own hand. This is the key to high grades in many classes. If you know what points the professor emphasizes in teaching the class, you will know what points to emphasize on the exam.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu May 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Any 2L or 3L OCIPers want to talk to me about grades and whether I'll be safe or struggle in August?

canon

Postby canon » Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm

When's a good time to move? I figure first week of August should be fine, allow me to acclimate, etc. Would any earlier be "preferable?" Trying to schedule my travel plans accordingly. Thanks!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 pm

canon wrote:When's a good time to move? I figure first week of August should be fine, allow me to acclimate, etc. Would any earlier be "preferable?" Trying to schedule my travel plans accordingly. Thanks!

If you have an apartment lined up, you could even come later (since we're starting later this year). However, if you plan on trying to find a place by walking around Berkeley and calling the numbers on the sign, you will want to come by that first week of Aug to beat all the UGs strolling back into town. (I got my place through craigslist, so if anyone went about it the other way want to correct me, be my guest).

Welcome to Berkeley canon!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 am

Kronk wrote:Any 2L or 3L OCIPers want to talk to me about grades and whether I'll be safe or struggle in August?

PM me.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Can anyone offer advice on internet providers in Berkeley? I'm moving in the next few weeks and am dreading dealing with AT&T or Comcast's customer service. Anyone use LMI.net's regular DSL or PHLO? They seem a little more expensive, but supporting a local business would be worth it to me if their service is good.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Marshall Eriksen

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 am

Can any current students offer any insight to the Manville Apartments? They just offered me a spot in a Standard.

I do not live in Manville but I know folks who do, and I have seen the apartments. The benefit is that you get you own place and the location is pretty good. You are about a 12-15 minute walk from the law school, and you are right on Shattuck where there are lots of stores, restaurants, and bars.

The downside is that the place is small, there is no oven, and it is a bit pricey (if you *really* hustle you can find your own place for less). If you just want your housing taken care of though, Manville is a good bet for your first year.

If you have specific questions, PM me and I can put you in touch with Manville resident.

Marshall Eriksen

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:54 am

Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Alright - heres one probably easiest for 2Ls and 3Ls to answer: did you know many people who moved to SF their second or third year - if so, did they find it easy to get to class? I am excited about being in Berkeley as a 1L but I have always dreamed of living in SF and have good friends who live in the Mission - would that commute drive a non 1L Boalt student nuts?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:16 pm

It's not terrible from the Mission. On BART, I imagine 45 minutes to Boalt if you catch the bus up to campus from downtown Berkeley station. I am likely going to live by the 24th and mission station next year

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:Alright - heres one probably easiest for 2Ls and 3Ls to answer: did you know many people who moved to SF their second or third year - if so, did they find it easy to get to class? I am excited about being in Berkeley as a 1L but I have always dreamed of living in SF and have good friends who live in the Mission - would that commute drive a non 1L Boalt student nuts?

The commute is fine. It takes me 20-25 minutes from Nob Hill (by car) and about 45 min-1hr using BART/bus. Thus, I drive. I'm from NY, so living in Berkeley brings me ultimate pain. ;)

I have another friend who drives from Noe. If anyone can specifically comment on the mission, go!

Thanks! And to Kronk as well. Thats exciting that its so doable.

Is it easy to get a campus parking permit - what are costs like? Driving to campus would be ideal but I was afraid that was impractical.

forward

Postby forward » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Is it practical to live in SF and commute via the BART and bike? I sold my car and will only be keeping a bike out there. I'm hoping to live in SF for 2L & 3L (though I'd much prefer to do it all three years).

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am

forward wrote:Is it practical to live in SF and commute via the BART and bike? I sold my car and will only be keeping a bike out there. I'm hoping to live in SF for 2L & 3L (though I'd much prefer to do it all three years).

There is a storefront bike storage place on Shattuck right by the Berkeley BART station. I have no idea of cost, nor do I know their hours, but that may be an option for you. There may be a place to lock your bike outside, but it had better be a darned good lock and you will want locking skewers for your tires and seatpost. Most of those who I know that BART in either walk up the hill (10-15 mins) or bus up, so the bike may not even be necessary.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

It is practical provided you want to spend 30 - 60 minutes commuting each way. Bart doesn't run very frequently on that line during off peak times and so the timing can be a little annoying.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:36 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:It is practical provided you want to spend 30 - 60 minutes commuting each way. Bart doesn't run very frequently on that line during off peak times and so the timing can be a little annoying.

I would strongly advise against living too far from campus as a 1L. Or even as a 2L honestly because of journal commitments, OCIP, etc. Yes, SF may be a short drive without traffic....but traffic can be unpredictable and you never really know when it is going to hit. I used to commute in twice a week for work, and on random days the traffic would be hellish for no apparent reason.

Also, I definitely would not rely on Bart. It is one of the most inefficient transportation systems I have encountered. It took me 25 mins to drive into my internship at Civic Center without traffic, but over an hour and fifteen or so to get there on Bart. Its also worth noting that Bart doesnt run all night, so if you're hanging out in Berkeley at a school function or with friends and it gets late, you will find yourself sorta stranded. Just things to consider.

Disclaimer: I hate long and inefficient commutes, so this is definitely skewed lol

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:33 pm

To echo what everyone else has said: it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. I was very reluctant to move to Berkeley instead of staying in SF (my favorite city), but I'm so glad I did. As much as you can read about it, you really can't anticipate how overwhelming 1L can be until it hits you personally. For those same reasons, I'm staying out here for 2L. Will reconsider for 3L.

That said, many people obviously do the SF thing for 1L and they do just fine. But I really appreciated being able to get home via a 10 minute bus or 25 minute walk at the end of some of the more mentally/emotionally draining days.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”