Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
powerlawyer06

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 am

I just want to reiterate what has already been said. You guys are the nicest and most helpful 1Ls on TLS. You represent Boalt extemely well and I can't wait to call you all peers.

When I compare this thread to the threads by 1Ls and 2Ls from Michigan, NYU, and Columbia the difference is night and day.

Thank you for being awesome and helping everyone make the right decisions.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:44 am

I also live in a building that allows dogs, big apartment, and is a half block from Willard Park, where people often take their dogs and let them run around, play together, etc. My place is less than a mile south of the law school.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 pm

2010Candidate wrote:
What are 1L's doing for the summer? Did anyone get 1L SA jobs?

I know of at least three 1Ls who have SA gigs lined up at midsize firms. But I don't know what the majority of the kids are doing....although my best guest is it's gov't/PI.

Among the firms I know 1L's are working at this summer:

Morrison Foerster
Kirkland
Baker Botts
O'Melveny
Baker & McKenzie
Paul Hastings

At least of those firms are taking multiple 1L's, pretty much all of which are in my supermod. All of the 1L's I know who have those jobs either have tech PhD's or impeccable grades (top 5%).

Other 1L's are doing a complete mix. Lots of gov't (local, state, and federal) and public interest work. A few USA offices, etc. A few people going abroad

Pretty much the same stuff you can expect from any t-14, I would imagine.
Last edited by Shaggier1 on Wed May 04, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon May 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but would you say Boalt is friendly to splitters, given the stereotype of CA schools being GPA-centric? Are there a lot of splitters in your class? If so, how large of splitters are they (ie 3.4 17x vs 3.0 17x or sub-3.0 17x)

I don't know how easy this will be for you to answer, but any thoughts on the subject would be great (: Thanks for making this thread!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but would you say Boalt is friendly to splitters, given the stereotype of CA schools being GPA-centric? Are there a lot of splitters in your class? If so, how large of splitters are they (ie 3.4 17x vs 3.0 17x or sub-3.0 17x)

I don't know how easy this will be for you to answer, but any thoughts on the subject would be great (: Thanks for making this thread!

To be honest, I don't know that anyone can answer this for you. No one talks about LSAT/GPA combos once you get into law school. I don't know even my closest friends' numbers because it's just something no one cares about once you're in! While I realize this is reassuring for you to know later, it definitely doesn't help you out now. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see the combos that have gotten folks admitted in the past. Also, since this might just be my experience and not the experience generally, I'd wait to see if others weigh in on this. But don't be surprised if no one answers right away - we are right in the beginning of finals. Which begs the question....what the hell am I doing?!?! :wink:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but would you say Boalt is friendly to splitters, given the stereotype of CA schools being GPA-centric? Are there a lot of splitters in your class? If so, how large of splitters are they (ie 3.4 17x vs 3.0 17x or sub-3.0 17x)

To be honest, I don't know that anyone can answer this for you. No one talks about LSAT/GPA combos once you get into law school. I don't know even my closest friends' numbers because it's just something no one cares about once you're in! While I realize this is reassuring for you to know later, it definitely doesn't help you out now. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see the combos that have gotten folks admitted in the past. Also, since this might just be my experience and not the experience generally, I'd wait to see if others weigh in on this. But don't be surprised if no one answers right away - we are right in the beginning of finals. Which begs the question....what the hell am I doing?!?! :wink:

Haahaha well thank you for your response! I thought maybe there wouldn't be much knowledge on it... ): The problem with LSN is that it is seriously lacking in statistics of ANY kind regarding most splitters at my level...so it's not that useful. Oh well, thanks for responding to the best of your ability <3 (:

pickedboalt

housing

Postby pickedboalt » Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Is there any resource for finding roommates? Already joined Calrents. Thanks for any help.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue May 03, 2011 1:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Haahaha well thank you for your response! I thought maybe there wouldn't be much knowledge on it... ): The problem with LSN is that it is seriously lacking in statistics of ANY kind regarding most splitters at my level...so it's not that useful. Oh well, thanks for responding to the best of your ability <3 (:

Not a Boalt 1L, but from my experience with the cycle it seems that Boalt is pretty splitter-averse compared to the rest of the T14 (minus HYS). But it's not as impossible as people make it seem on TLS :)

Also, wanted to say thanks to everyone that offered up housing advice - you guys are the best!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 pm

czelede wrote:Not a Boalt 1L, but from my experience with the cycle it seems that Boalt is pretty splitter-averse compared to the rest of the T14 (minus HYS). But it's not as impossible as people make it seem on TLS :)

*sigh* Yup, that makes sense I suppose. Oh wellllllll, guess I'm ED-ing to NU! XD

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:01 am

Is there any resource for finding roommates? Already joined Calrents. Thanks for any help

Facebook c/0 2014 page is probably your best bet

srilina

Postby srilina » Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 am

Hi all!

Thanks for all the good info. Forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it...but what about Berkeley's placement in Chicago and Texas (specifically looking at Austin). Are there decent alumni groups in those areas?

Another question: has anyone here taken language courses (either audited, or for credit) - did that fit in alright with your studies? If someone has any experience with Berkeley's Chinese program I would also love to hear about it (I'm hoping to keep studying the language while in law school).

Thanks!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 am

srilina wrote:Hi all!

Thanks for all the good info. Forgive me if this has been covered and I missed it...but what about Berkeley's placement in Chicago and Texas (specifically looking at Austin). Are there decent alumni groups in those areas?

Another question: has anyone here taken language courses (either audited, or for credit) - did that fit in alright with your studies? If someone has any experience with Berkeley's Chinese program I would also love to hear about it (I'm hoping to keep studying the language while in law school).

Thanks!
Personally, I think the whole alumni groups as a proxy for portability is overblown. Is it helpful? Perhaps. But I don't think the absence of one is a barrier to going someplace you want to be. More important is where firms come from for OCIP (assuming you are going that route). And there were a decent number here interviewing for Chicago and Tex. And if you're not doing OCIP, even that's irrelevant because you'll be targeting your resumes to where you want to work anyway.

As for Chi and Tex: I know 3Ls and at least one 2L who are going to Chicago. For Texas, I have a 1L friend (from TX) who got a paying SA job there (but I don't think the Austin office).

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed May 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks!

I take language classes. To do it for credit, it's kind of complicated. You have a 17 unit maximum in the law school. A language course will count for half of the credit of whatever the class is; a 5 credit class counts for 5 total for the academic year, two semesters. If you take it without counting it for law credit and just for fun, then you don't have to worry about the 17 unit limit. That limit makes it hard to fit stuff in. If you want it to count for credit, you're limited to 12 units in the law school.

Berkeley doesn't easily let people audit, unless the professor is really nice. For Chinese, I doubt they would let you. For Romanian or something really random I bet they would.

You also should apply for a FLAS Fellowship while you are here, which gives full tuition and living stipend to study certain languages. Law students can apply for it too.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 04, 2011 5:14 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Thanks!
Personally, I think the whole alumni groups as a proxy for portability is overblown. Is it helpful? Perhaps. But I don't think the absence of one is a barrier to going someplace you want to be. More important is where firms come from for OCIP (assuming you are going that route). And there were a decent number here interviewing for Chicago and Tex. And if you're not doing OCIP, even that's irrelevant because you'll be targeting your resumes to where you want to work anyway.

As for Chi and Tex: I know 3Ls and at least one 2L who are going to Chicago. For Texas, I have a 1L friend (from TX) who got a paying SA job there (but I don't think the Austin office).

Agree with this completely. I have said this many a time, but Berkeley's apparent placing-better-in-California-than-other-places results not from firms outside of California not being interested in Boalt grads, but largely as a result of self-selection by students. Move here and you'll understand why we don't leave. :D

You're alive!!! I haven't seen you at all this semester!!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu May 05, 2011 1:40 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Move here and you'll understand why we don't leave. :D

8)

worldtraveler wrote:For Romanian or something really random I bet they would.

I am SO going to audit Romanian next year! :mrgreen:

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 pm

quick question... what is SA pay like at bay area firms like Morrison Foerster?

fish52

Postby fish52 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:quick question... what is SA pay like at bay area firms like Morrison Foerster?

160k is market. You get about 30k for the summer (3080ish a week)

Wow, that would certainly help with the obscene COA... too bad SAs are so hard to get..!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 pm

fish52 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:quick question... what is SA pay like at bay area firms like Morrison Foerster?

160k is market. You get about 30k for the summer (3080ish a week)

Wow, that would certainly help with the obscene COA... too bad SAs are so hard to get..!

For 1L, yes. For 2L, not so much. I promise promise promise you that 2L SA gigs are infinitely easier to land than 1L SA gigs. It's simple statistics (I think?). More positions = better chances.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
czelede wrote:Not a Boalt 1L, but from my experience with the cycle it seems that Boalt is pretty splitter-averse compared to the rest of the T14 (minus HYS). But it's not as impossible as people make it seem on TLS :)

*sigh* Yup, that makes sense I suppose. Oh wellllllll, guess I'm ED-ing to NU! XD

Annecdotally I have two splitter friends both just under 3.5 both 175-178, both retakes from mid/high 160s. Both from good but not top top undergrads (not HYS so it really dosent matter) one got into Boalt this year via committee review, the other (with the higher LSAT) got dinged in committee review (dont feel bad for him he is going to CLS). I think if you have a reallly serious LSAT score, your grades are good but not great (I'm sure at some point there is a floor) and you are interesting person you have a chance at Boalt - but yeah, tough one to crack as a splitter.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 pm

PS just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to answer questions - really looking forward to being at Boalt next year. I know some people really like being anonymous (if so I understand) but I'd be really curious to meet you all if anyone on TLS is interested in grabbing a drink in August or something.

canon

Postby canon » Wed May 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Long-time follower here.

When I was at ASW, a lot of people had great things to say about the Asylum clinic, but they emphasized it was a lot of work. Can anyone speak to doing clinics during 1L and how manageable that is? In general, how involved should you be / how much is 'enough'? Some Boalties I've spoken to have said it's very easy to get caught up in extracurriculars, to the detriment of grades.

Last thing: how do employers view CLR? Making CLR seems important if you don't have good 1L grades or are looking into clerkships, seeing as you don't write on to CLR until 2L anyway right?

Last last thing: are all the journals pretty equal in terms of prestige (idk if that even matters)? Student center was pretty dope.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu May 12, 2011 10:55 am

canon wrote:Long-time follower here.

When I was at ASW, a lot of people had great things to say about the Asylum clinic, but they emphasized it was a lot of work. Can anyone speak to doing clinics during 1L and how manageable that is? In general, how involved should you be / how much is 'enough'? Some Boalties I've spoken to have said it's very easy to get caught up in extracurriculars, to the detriment of grades.

Last thing: how do employers view CLR? Making CLR seems important if you don't have good 1L grades or are looking into clerkships, seeing as you don't write on to CLR until 2L anyway right?

Last last thing: are all the journals pretty equal in terms of prestige (idk if that even matters)? Student center was pretty dope.
I didn't do the asylum clinic, so can't speak to specifics of that, but I have done a bunch of ECs and it just comes down to time management. If you're coming straight from UG class plus other stuff may feel like more work than you've ever done before. But, if you've been out in the working world it'll just feel like normal. The thing to remember (in all things law school) is that others have done it so you can too! Your grades are all about the finals 1L and for the most part you will be able to manage your EC workload so as not to interfere with the end of semester cramming.

As for the secondary journals, I assume you mean prestige with employers. Hard for any of us to tell you that for sure and in good lawyer fashion my answer to you is it depends. If you are looking for an enviro boutique job, ELQ would be much more favorable than BJIL or the tech journal. But if you aren't sure what you want to do (which is perfectly fine at this point) they are all good experiences that employers will see and appreciate, but probably not be a difference maker.

CLR is more than how you characterize it, but yes CLR can help differentiate you if you don't have great grades or other work experience etc. Some (most?) judges will require it, but I have a friend not on CLR who had a choice between a Dist. Ct. and a Ct. App. You will do the write on after Spring finals 1L and join CLR before 2L starts.

Hope that helps.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 am

canon wrote:Long-time follower here.

I did CARC. It is a lot of work but it's a great experience. Just don't try and do everything. I think either 1 journal/1 clinic/1 club is the maximum or maybe 2 clinics if you're not on a journal. Pick what you really want to do and do that. It's better to do a couple things and get really involved.

jinxmelucky22

Postby jinxmelucky22 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Does anybody know if we are going to get information about some sort of laptop deal or promotion from Berkeley? I heard that certain schools have deals that can't be passed up but I don't know if I should wait or if I should buy a new laptop now.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 pm

jinxmelucky22 wrote:Does anybody know if we are going to get information about some sort of laptop deal or promotion from Berkeley? I heard that certain schools have deals that can't be passed up but I don't know if I should wait or if I should buy a new laptop now.

Check out the buying info here: --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”