Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Rotor

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Rotor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 am

petite chouette wrote:I don't think anyone has asked this yet, so apologies if it has been mentioned already. Does attending Berkeley for UG have any bearing on acceptance to Boalt? There are myths that it's much harder to get into the grad programs if you went there for UG, which is probably not true but I was wondering if there is anything I should keep in mind when applying for LS here.

Similarly, does it reflect negatively on someone in hiring, etc to not have more diversity in their schooling? I love living in the Bay Area and do not want to leave if at all possible!
I think no one answered because no one outside the admissions process really knows. I've heard the same thing you have about it being a negative, but have a couple of friends-- both K through JD types-- who came through UCB undergrad.

As for hiring, ties to the area can be a good thing if you want to stay around here. It may limit your options in other areas, but it sounds like you aren't really interestedin those options.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:05 pm

Rotor wrote:
petite chouette wrote:I don't think anyone has asked this yet, so apologies if it has been mentioned already. Does attending Berkeley for UG have any bearing on acceptance to Boalt? There are myths that it's much harder to get into the grad programs if you went there for UG, which is probably not true but I was wondering if there is anything I should keep in mind when applying for LS here.

Similarly, does it reflect negatively on someone in hiring, etc to not have more diversity in their schooling? I love living in the Bay Area and do not want to leave if at all possible!

I think no one answered because no one outside the admissions process really knows. I've heard the same thing you have about it being a negative, but have a couple of friends-- both K through JD types-- who came through UCB undergrad.

As for hiring, ties to the area can be a good thing if you want to stay around here. It may limit your options in other areas, but it sounds like you aren't really interestedin those options.

I really don't think it's a negative. Like they said above, no one really knows, but I can name 10 1Ls off the top of my head that went to UCB undergrad and 3-4 in my mod alone. I always assumed it was helpful because of it. UCB and UCLA are definitely the UG with the most representation (which makes sense), so I don't think it can be THAT much of a negative, if any at all.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I would highly, highly recommend living in ihouse. If anyone has questions about it or if you'd like to see it during admit weekend, send me a PM.

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:24 am

worldtraveler wrote:I would highly, highly recommend living in ihouse. If anyone has questions about it or if you'd like to see it during admit weekend, send me a PM.

ihouse seems like a good time, but isn't it fairly expensive?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:29 am

re-applicant wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I would highly, highly recommend living in ihouse. If anyone has questions about it or if you'd like to see it during admit weekend, send me a PM.

ihouse seems like a good time, but isn't it fairly expensive?

It's Berkeley. Everything is expensive. Plus keep in mind that ihouse includes food, all utilities, internet, and all that good stuff. I calculated it 1L year and I would spend the same if I lived in a studio.

petite chouette

Postby petite chouette » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks!

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:35 pm

I have a very strange question. It turns out one of my clients at work is a Boalt Grad (I have lots of clients who practice law but I didn't think any of them attended Boalt). He was very excited when I told him I would be matriculating at Boalt and we talked about Boalt for around an hour. At the end of our conversation he mentioned something about a secret book in the library where you could write to Uncle Zeb. He graduated in the late 90s so I was not sure if what he described was still going on at Boalt but then I googled uncle Zeb: http://www.boalt.org/zeb/index.html.

Does this still exist?

He mentioned there were many other Boalt secrets that he did not want to ruin for me. Any insight as to what else he could be talking about?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:I have a very strange question. It turns out one of my clients at work is a Boalt Grad (I have lots of clients who practice law but I didn't think any of them attended Boalt). He was very excited when I told him I would be matriculating at Boalt and we talked about Boalt for around an hour. At the end of our conversation he mentioned something about a secret book in the library where you could write to Uncle Zeb. He graduated in the late 90s so I was not sure if what he described was still going on at Boalt but then I googled uncle Zeb: http://www.boalt.org/zeb/index.html.

Does this still exist?

He mentioned there were many other Boalt secrets that he did not want to ruin for me. Any insight as to what else he could be talking about?

The Zeb book still exists.

As for the others: we have a Chamber of Secrets. But Dean Tom doesn't admit parseltongues so we haven't been able to open it yet.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:29 am

For 2Ls--when do we get Edley Grant money? Pretty quickly after the semester ends, or what? Not sure what kinds of arrangements I should make.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Kronk wrote:For 2Ls--when do we get Edley Grant money? Pretty quickly after the semester ends, or what? Not sure what kinds of arrangements I should make.

You're not going to get it for a while. Last year it was one payment in late June and another in July. Yeah...it sucks. I would assume it would be something like that this year.

I asked my parents for money and then paid them back when I got the Edley money. If you're broke and don't have loan money left, start thinking about other ways or make sure you have a credit card or something. You also should have direct deposit set up or they'll probably make you come in and pick up the check.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Kronk wrote:For 2Ls--when do we get Edley Grant money? Pretty quickly after the semester ends, or what? Not sure what kinds of arrangements I should make.

You're not going to get it for a while. Last year it was one payment in late June and another in July. Yeah...it sucks. I would assume it would be something like that this year.

I asked my parents for money and then paid them back when I got the Edley money. If you're broke and don't have loan money left, start thinking about other ways or make sure you have a credit card or something. You also should have direct deposit set up or they'll probably make you come in and pick up the check.

Man, that really sucks. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have awesome parents.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Kronk wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Man, that really sucks. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have awesome parents.

My 1L summer job - while incredible - paid me less than the Edley grant, if you can believe it. I am totally indebted to my awesome parent for not letting me get evicted last summer. Among other things.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 am

Or you could work for a judge and get $0. :evil:

2010Candidate

Postby 2010Candidate » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 pm

What are 1L's doing for the summer? Did anyone get 1L SA jobs?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm

2010Candidate wrote:What are 1L's doing for the summer? Did anyone get 1L SA jobs?

I know of at least three 1Ls who have SA gigs lined up at midsize firms. But I don't know what the majority of the kids are doing....although my best guest is it's gov't/PI.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I too have been pleasantly surprised by the number of 1Ls I know going to SA posts. Since I have no way of knowing whether my info overlaps with IG's I'll not post numbers to avoid giving a misleading impression if they are the same folks.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 am

I was poking around the Class of 2013 thread...it looks like current 1Ls started over a week earlier than we will (Aug 16 vs. Aug 24 for us). I guess this year's whole academic calendar is pushed back a week? Also, 2013's orientation was a TH/F, so everyone (assuming 2Ls and 3Ls start on the 24th as well?) has two less days of instruction this year? Not sure any of this is interesting at all, but just wondering about it.

So what's orientation like? I think I would prefer a Th/F to M/T. It seems pretty intense to get your schedule and do orientation and not have a weekend in between to kind of process and set everything up based on what you have heard in orientation...

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 am

Came up with another question. What are you all doing for the Writing Requirement (the 30-page paper)?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Pkt63 - welcome to Boalt!!

The calendar changed this year to allow Boalties to be more competitive during the fall interview seasons. Most other schools had on campus interviews earlier than us - and since hiring occurs on a rolling basis, we were at a disadvantage. To better accommodate the firms' interviewing schedules, Boalt has pushed classes closer to the end of August, and has moved OCIP earlier in the month (before classes even begin). This is also a big deal because now you guys can interview before classes start - meaning your coursework (likely) won't be interrupted by the whole process. Rising 3Ls are extremely jealous of all this, trust me. =)

The writing requirement doesn't happen until you're a 2L, so you can rest easy - for now. Some of us do research assistant positions with professors we like for two units, and write a paper for them. Some classes require papers instead of final exams, and lots of students use those papers for the writing requirements instead (you just ask your professor to sign a paper and tack on an extra unit if the paper falls short of the 30 page requirement).

Hope this helps!

-IG

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for answering all these questions! I'm loving the friendliness of Boalties :)

I'm currently deciding between Boalt and Penn, and a lot of it is coming down to how much I will enjoy the next three years. After a cursory search for rentals, I have to ask: is there such thing as a nice, dog-friendly place close to campus? It seems from the spread of places that are available that most people would drive to campus or...take some sort of public transport? I hate driving and carpeting, so these considerations are making me kind of side-eye Berkeley. Of course, having never lived in the area I may just be grossly uninformed.

And additionally, regarding housing, are there any areas that are widely regarded to be unsafe that I should definitely avoid? And conversely, any areas particularly recommended for a lovely living experience?

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Anyone know approximately how many students get need based grants? I think I've read that Berkeley is more generous with need awards than its peers, is that accurate? I'm guessing these grants would virtually never go to waitlist acceptees, correct?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:44 pm

czelede wrote:Thanks for answering all these questions! I'm loving the friendliness of Boalties :)

I'm currently deciding between Boalt and Penn, and a lot of it is coming down to how much I will enjoy the next three years. After a cursory search for rentals, I have to ask: is there such thing as a nice, dog-friendly place close to campus? It seems from the spread of places that are available that most people would drive to campus or...take some sort of public transport? I hate driving and carpeting, so these considerations are making me kind of side-eye Berkeley. Of course, having never lived in the area I may just be grossly uninformed.

And additionally, regarding housing, are there any areas that are widely regarded to be unsafe that I should definitely avoid? And conversely, any areas particularly recommended for a lovely living experience?

Hmm... I think Rotor can weigh in on this. I am in a nice, dog-friendly place farther from campus (about 3 miles), but that's only because I didn't want to live in Berkeley proper. From what I've seen on my apt tours, carpeting seems to be the thing out here - although that's only been in the big complexes I toured.

Unsafe - lots of parts of Oakland and Richmond. Safe parts of Oakland include College Ave/Rockridge, Oakland Hills, and (I think it's called) Lake Meritt (although this would be farther from campus).

Good parts - I defer to anyone living in Berkeley. Although two plugs for Emeryville and Alameda if you don't mind being farther away!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
czelede wrote:Thanks for answering all these questions! I'm loving the friendliness of Boalties :)

Hmm... I think Rotor can weigh in on this. I am in a nice, dog-friendly place farther from campus (about 3 miles), but that's only because I didn't want to live in Berkeley proper. From what I've seen on my apt tours, carpeting seems to be the thing out here - although that's only been in the big complexes I toured.

Unsafe - lots of parts of Oakland and Richmond. Safe parts of Oakland include College Ave/Rockridge, Oakland Hills, and (I think it's called) Lake Meritt (although this would be farther from campus).

Good parts - I defer to anyone living in Berkeley. Although two plugs for Emeryville and Alameda if you don't mind being farther away!

I will add that you really shouldn't sign a lease before asking here or with someone who knows about the area. Some areas are really pretty bad. Some also have bad reputations and aren't as bad as what people claim. The area immediately surrounding campus is pretty safe and you should be fine.
The way a lot of rental places describe their location can be a bit misleading. Pretty much everything in Berkeley claims to be close to campus and it's really not.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

I will add that you really shouldn't sign a lease before asking here or with someone who knows about the area. Some areas are really pretty bad. Some also have bad reputations and aren't as bad as what people claim. The area immediately surrounding campus is pretty safe and you should be fine.
The way a lot of rental places describe their location can be a bit misleading. Pretty much everything in Berkeley claims to be close to campus and it's really not.

I agree with bothof my esteemed colleagues WRT the housing areas. Within the Berkeley city limits, if you are East of Sacramento St and north of Ashby you should pretty much be OK. This is a vast generalization. Outside of that box, there are some nice areas, but you need to put eyes on to be sure.

As for housing in Berkeley with a dog, it can be done. I'm less than a two mile bike ride from the law school and have a duplex with a back yard etc. We found it on Craigslist, which is the way most of the non-apartment complex rentals get advertised. (Either that or just a for rent sign on the outside but that doesn't do you any good if you're not here. It will limit your options a bit, and you'll likely pay a bit more, but as a pet owner, you're probably already used to that anyway. I didn't find Berkeley any more difficult to find a place than other places I rented with pets (and I moved quite a bit in my pre-law-school days).

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:14 pm

For those who have been concerned about the construction, the class of 2011 and the faculty had a ribbon cutting ceremony at the South Addition this afternoon. There is still some finish work that needs to be done on the outside and looks to be a bit of interior work left too, but it doesn't look like anything that would drag on into the start of next year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”