Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawapp123

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby lawapp123 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm

postcard wrote:Does this (in state tuition for 2, 3 year) apply for international students?

No. California doesn't allow non-resident aliens (F-1, J-1) to claim state residency.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Kronk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Those figures are old, the in-state has inflated quite a bit. And I think residency isn't automatic.

Those were the numbers for this current year.

I mean it is a lot higher for the upcoming year isn't it. Also it is projected to go up higher for the next 2 years right? I am just pointing out that Boalt may not be lower on the list like it is now so the list is irrelevant.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Those figures are old, the in-state has inflated quite a bit. And I think residency isn't automatic.

I mean it is a lot higher for the upcoming year isn't it. Also it is projected to go up higher for the next 2 years right? I am just pointing out that Boalt may not be lower on the list like it is now so the list is irrelevant.

Tuition goes up every year at every school, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:43 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Tuition goes up every year at every school, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

It's going up at a higher proportion/rate.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

I don't think it is. Berkeley FinAid told us that it was "in their charter" that they would keep in-state tuition at 10% less than the competitive private schools like NYU, Columbia, and Chicago.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:01 am

Kronk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

I don't think it is. Berkeley FinAid told us that it was "in their charter" that they would keep in-state tuition at 10% less than the competitive private schools like NYU, Columbia, and Chicago.

It's gone up 11.5% from 2010-11 to 2011-12 ($44244 to $49348) - http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm

I don't think any other school increased by that much.

For example Penn:
$48,362 to $50718 or 4.9%

ETA: I don't think it is 10% less anymore.

petite chouette

Postby petite chouette » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 am

I don't think anyone has asked this yet, so apologies if it has been mentioned already. Does attending Berkeley for UG have any bearing on acceptance to Boalt? There are myths that it's much harder to get into the grad programs if you went there for UG, which is probably not true but I was wondering if there is anything I should keep in mind when applying for LS here.

Similarly, does it reflect negatively on someone in hiring, etc to not have more diversity in their schooling? I love living in the Bay Area and do not want to leave if at all possible!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:03 am

r6_philly wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

It's gone up 11.5% from 2010-11 to 2011-12 ($44244 to $49348) - http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm

For example Penn:

One year doesn't make a trend. It's not like Boalt's tuition is going to go up 11.5% every year. And I would argue the reason it raised by such a percentage is because in-state tuition was far lower than private tuitions across the country.

It still is 10% less now. I don't know if the numbers have been released for next year yet, but it is still 10% less than the highest private peer (CLS) right now.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:48 am

r6_philly wrote:
Kronk wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

For example Penn:

The substantial increases were a phase in plan that was to last about 3 years until we reached that point where we were marginally less than our private peers. We have reached that point and as long as they stick to plan, future increases will be pretty much in the same ballpark as everyone else.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:47 am

Oh sorry I wasn't trying to say that it dictates a trend. I was simply saying let's not discuss based on 2010-2011 rates (the tuition comparison list quoted) since there is a huge increase between current and next year. Didn't imply that it will continue to increase this much.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am

Kronk wrote:

As long as you work in CA during your 1L summer and get a CA driver's license as soon as you arrive here, residency is pretty much automatic. You just send in your documents and you're approved. The people who have trouble are the ones who left the state to go home for a summer or never bothered to switch out their driver's licenses.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Kronk wrote:

As long as you work in CA during your 1L summer and get a CA driver's license as soon as you arrive here, residency is pretty much automatic. You just send in your documents and you're approved. The people who have trouble are the ones who left the state to go home for a summer or never bothered to switch out their driver's licenses.

Well I don't think I can sell my house out here in PA, so if they give me trouble, I don't know how to get around that. I think that may end up being a bigger issue that everything else.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Well I don't think I can sell my house out here in PA, so if they give me trouble, I don't know how to get around that. I think that may end up being a bigger issue that everything else.

I would make it a point to talk to someone in residency affairs when you're out here for ASW (or even beforehand). They understand that some of us are not the typical straight from undergrad students, with families, homes, etc. They would likely understand that keeping a house is a source of income if you have tenants. I don't think this would be that big of an issue, as long as you don't have family staying in the house and holding onto it for you until you return. That may pose a problem.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks! I will pay them a visit. It would make a world of difference financially, obviously.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:Thanks! I will pay them a visit. It would make a world of difference financially, obviously.

No problem. Let me know if you need some contact info, and I'd be happy to dig that up for you. You would have some good arguments as to why you couldn't sell it - state of the real estate market being the best and the income stream while unemployed during law school being another. Just try to stay in CA during your 1L summer and make sure all of your other ducks are in a row.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:59 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Thanks! I will pay them a visit. It would make a world of difference financially, obviously.

No problem. Let me know if you need some contact info, and I'd be happy to dig that up for you. You would have some good arguments as to why you couldn't sell it - state of the real estate market being the best and the income stream while unemployed during law school being another. Just try to stay in CA during your 1L summer and make sure all of your other ducks are in a row.

Haha there are still a lot of ducks need to get in line, but I am working on them. The parent university determines residency right? I will go see what they say. I don't actually think I can get enough rent to cover mortgage. It is that bad (mostly due to taxes), but selling it would be worse since there are a bunch of foreclosures up and down the street.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Haha there are still a lot of ducks need to get in line, but I am working on them. The parent university determines residency right? I will go see what they say. I don't actually think I can get enough rent to cover mortgage. It is that bad (mostly due to taxes), but selling it would be worse since there are a bunch of foreclosures up and down the street.

Not to make light of your situation, but it's actually good for you that the market is so bad - all the more reason for you to not sell your house right now, even though you "plan on being a permanent CA resident." =)

Yup, it's the main campus - they will do a bunch of presentations here at the law school throughout the year. I would say do things in this order, just to ensure that you qualify:

1) Get a driver's license ASAP after arriving in CA. I mean, run, don't walk to the DMV - don't sit around and wait on this.
2) Register to vote (and then actually vote!)
3) Open a bank account (doesn't need to be done, but helps) - I have one here in CA even though it's not my main one.
4) Stay in CA - anywhere in the state of CA - for your 1L summer.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:05 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Not to make light of your situation, but it's actually good for you that the market is so bad - all the more reason for you to not sell your house right now, even though you "plan on being a permanent CA resident." =)

Yup, it's the main campus - they will do a bunch of presentations here at the law school throughout the year. I would say do things in this order, just to ensure that you qualify:

1) Get a driver's license ASAP after arriving in CA. I mean, run, don't walk to the DMV - don't sit around and wait on this.
2) Register to vote (and then actually vote!)
3) Open a bank account (doesn't need to be done, but helps) - I have one here in CA even though it's not my main one.
4) Stay in CA - anywhere in the state of CA - for your 1L summer.

Izzies, you're cool. I wish you were a part of the class of 2014 :mrgreen: .

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:25 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

Izzies, you're cool. I wish you were a part of the class of 2014 :mrgreen: .

Thanks - I feel so loved! :D
Seriously, though - I am happy to answer any questions that I can.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 am

Any 2Ls that did PI/Gov work 2nd summer willing to talk about how tough it is to get additional funding in addition to the $2000?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 am

Kronk wrote:Any 2Ls that did PI/Gov work 2nd summer willing to talk about how tough it is to get additional funding in addition to the $2000?

I'm doing PI work this summer. I don't really know how tough it is to get extra money from the CDO. You can also apply for a Human Rights Center Fellowship. The American Society of International Law, and some area bar associations also have stipends.

I think that the Boalt student org funding options all prioritize 2Ls. I know the human rights committee does. I also don't think there are that many 2Ls using the public interest funding so the competition might not be that tough. A lot of government employment pays 2Ls and then over half the class is going to a firm. That doesn't leave a lot of people to compete for it.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:09 am

IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I would make it a point to talk to someone in residency affairs when you're out here for ASW (or even beforehand). They understand that some of us are not the typical straight from undergrad students, with families, homes, etc. They would likely understand that keeping a house is a source of income if you have tenants. I don't think this would be that big of an issue, as long as you don't have family staying in the house and holding onto it for you until you return. That may pose a problem.

As cool as IG is, I probably would NOT talk to residency affairs about your property ownership in another state. You already know it will weigh against you in a residency determination, so why expose it if you don't have to. I did that myself last year as I was working to get my residency ducks in a row. They made it out to be this HUGE deal and had me worried I might not get qualified as in state.

Then, when I went to fill out my residency application, I don't think they specifically asked about property ownership in another state AND when I submitted my 1040, I submitted ONLY the 1040-- not the SCHED A that showed the typical homeowner's deductions nor the SCHED D that listed rental income. They never asked for additional information so I didn't have to tell them.

Now: not talking to them doesn't mean not doing EVERYTHING you otherwise can do to become a resident. Don't just get the DL; get a local bank account with a bank that is not BofA or Citi; get a 510 cell phone. Basically anything you can do to show you want to stay is a good thing to do. See http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Residency/establish.html.

You should however keep the justifications at the ready: Market is down, can't sell the house is a good one. The other one I was planning on using if necessary was that property ownership is just part of my diversified portfolio. There may be others for your particular situation.

TL;DR version: I own property in VA and got residency. (Note: I was originally from CA, but as far as I could tell, that fact wasn't a determining facor.)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Thank you both for the great points! I will see what I can work out.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 am

Rotor wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

As cool as IG is, I probably would NOT talk to residency affairs about your property ownership in another state. You already know it will weigh against you in a residency determination, so why expose it if you don't have to. I did that myself last year as I was working to get my residency ducks in a row. They made it out to be this HUGE deal and had me worried I might not get qualified as in state.

Then, when I went to fill out my residency application, I don't think they specifically asked about property ownership in another state AND when I submitted my 1040, I submitted ONLY the 1040-- not the SCHED A that showed the typical homeowner's deductions nor the SCHED D that listed rental income. They never asked for additional information so I didn't have to tell them.

Now: not talking to them doesn't mean not doing EVERYTHING you otherwise can do to become a resident. Don't just get the DL; get a local bank account with a bank that is not BofA or Citi; get a 510 cell phone. Basically anything you can do to show you want to stay is a good thing to do. See http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Residency/establish.html.

You should however keep the justifications at the ready: Market is down, can't sell the house is a good one. The other one I was planning on using if necessary was that property ownership is just part of my diversified portfolio. There may be others for your particular situation.

TL;DR version: I own property in VA and got residency. (Note: I was originally from CA, but as far as I could tell, that fact wasn't a determining facor.)

I defer to Rotor on this, since he has experience with it. =)
Although I must say . . . I am still pretty cool.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Do 2Ls have any consensus over what grades you can feel relatively safe with at OCIP?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”