Boalt 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
powerlawyer06

Bronze

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Post by powerlawyer06 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:49 pm

pkt63 wrote:I was wondering what the alumni support/network is like at Boalt. I was just reading about alumni mentors for every 1L at UCLA, and I thought that would be a really helpful thing. Also, they have a lot of quotes about how UCLA alums at firms try to give extra help to LA candidates, from helping them prep for interviews and stuff, to actually giving them a leg up if they are the hiring or recruiting manager at a firm. Surely, anyone may act favorably toward their alma mater, but this seemed more like a cultural thing they tried to build in that you are charged with doing this as you go forward in life.

Does the Boalt alumnni network seem involved and caring about the next generation of Boalt alumni?

+1. I have heard this same thing from both UCLA and USC. I actually heard it from the USC and UCLA alum that have contacted me when I got admitted.

A USC alum told me that my job prospects would be better at USC than Boalt because their alumni “cared” more.

My first impression is to be very skeptical. Would a hiring partner really overlook a candidate from a higher ranked school just to give the candidate from his school a shot? I think that sort of behavior would be to his detriment and the detriment of his firm.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:48 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
pkt63 wrote:I was wondering what the alumni support/network is like at Boalt. I was just reading about alumni mentors for every 1L at UCLA, and I thought that would be a really helpful thing. Also, they have a lot of quotes about how UCLA alums at firms try to give extra help to LA candidates, from helping them prep for interviews and stuff, to actually giving them a leg up if they are the hiring or recruiting manager at a firm. Surely, anyone may act favorably toward their alma mater, but this seemed more like a cultural thing they tried to build in that you are charged with doing this as you go forward in life.

Does the Boalt alumnni network seem involved and caring about the next generation of Boalt alumni?

+1. I have heard this same thing from both UCLA and USC. I actually heard it from the USC and UCLA alum that have contacted me when I got admitted.

A USC alum told me that my job prospects would be better at USC than Boalt because their alumni “cared” more.

My first impression is to be very skeptical. Would a hiring partner really overlook a candidate from a higher ranked school just to give the candidate from his school a shot? I think that sort of behavior would be to his detriment and the detriment of his firm.
This would actually make for a cool study: ranking schools by how many alum they have serving as hiring partners at top firms. Maybe that would explain Cornell's great placement . . . :P

p.s. I actually think I might be on to something here . . .

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:12 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:

You can sign up for a mentor as a 1L. At least for PI / government work. I don't know about corporate stuff. I know that USC has a great alumni network, but I think the stats speak for themselves on where you'll have better job prospects. If every USC student got the job they wanted because of alumni connections, more than 28.7% of their class would get NLJ250 jobs.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

pkt63 wrote:
I was wondering what the alumni support/network is like at Boalt. I was just reading about alumni mentors for every 1L at UCLA, and I thought that would be a really helpful thing. Also, they have a lot of quotes about how UCLA alums at firms try to give extra help to LA candidates, from helping them prep for interviews and stuff, to actually giving them a leg up if they are the hiring or recruiting manager at a firm. Surely, anyone may act favorably toward their alma mater, but this seemed more like a cultural thing they tried to build in that you are charged with doing this as you go forward in life.

I am only a 1L, so my exposure to the alumni network is limited. However, for my 1L job search I reached out to several recent Boalt grads, and I was delightfully surprised by their willingness to help me out. Five different Boalt grads at five different V30 firms agreed to speak with me about life at their firms; three of them spent upwards of 30 mins on the phone with me.

In addition to those experiences, when I meet Boalt grads at ACS (I attend once-monthly American Constitution Society Happy Hours in SF) events and firm-mixers, they seem to go out of their way to offer to stay in touch, and lend a hand when I enter the 2L job search.

As I said, my exposure is limited - but my experience so far has been wonderful. At the end of the day, however, this is the real answer you want:
If every USC student got the job they wanted because of alumni connections, more than 28.7% of their class would get NLJ250 jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:21 pm

aesis wrote: Bolded for ASW in two weeks. Can any 1Ls answer these questions in case I don't talk to you during ASW?
  • Do/did you like it here?
    What are you doing this summer?
    Do the students get along?
    What has been your experience with the faculty/administration?
    What other schools did you consider?
I really like it here. There are pros and cons that I deal with. My homestate is has a west coast atmosphere and sometimes I think if I headed east I would've had a more "new" experience. But I love the student body, many of the professors, the Bay Area (weather!), the lunchtime speakers, etc. It's also huge for me that Berkeley is public and

I am working for a public defender. I didn't apply to corporate firm stuff, and was trying for a PD job or an ACLU job. I took the PD one because it was inner-city and I will get a lot of experience litigating that I wouldn't get with a bigger organization like the ACLU. I struck out on jobs until about February, but then I got about 4-5 offers that were all pretty interesting to me.

If there is any drama in the student body, I am unaware of it.

All of the teachers have been great people. Some of them teach better than others. I have really liked about 4 / 6 professors. The other two I liked a lot, but find the class frustrating because of their teaching. I imagine it's pretty similar anywhere.

I considered NYU at sticker, and Chicago and Virginia with scholarships. After ASD I really liked Boalt significantly more than any of the other three and pretty much committed. After I got my WLs at Harvard and Yale I just committed to Berkeley and pulled myself off the WLs. That said, it took me awhile to decide between NYU, Chicago, and Boalt, and I might've gone with NYU if I had the same scholarship there that I had at Chicago. Might've gone to Chicago if they had any sort of LRAP. Since those things didn't happen, the choice was pretty easy for me.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Kronk wrote:
aesis wrote: Bolded for ASW in two weeks. Can any 1Ls answer these questions in case I don't talk to you during ASW?
  • Do/did you like it here?
I really like it here. There are pros and cons that I deal with. My homestate is has a west coast atmosphere and sometimes I think if I headed east I would've had a more "new" experience. But I love the student body, many of the professors, the Bay Area (weather!), the lunchtime speakers, etc. It's also huge for me that Berkeley is public and

I am working for a public defender. I didn't apply to corporate firm stuff, and was trying for a PD job or an ACLU job. I took the PD one because it was inner-city and I will get a lot of experience litigating that I wouldn't get with a bigger organization like the ACLU. I struck out on jobs until about February, but then I got about 4-5 offers that were all pretty interesting to me.

If there is any drama in the student body, I am unaware of it.

All of the teachers have been great people. Some of them teach better than others. I have really liked about 4 / 6 professors. The other two I liked a lot, but find the class frustrating because of their teaching. I imagine it's pretty similar anywhere.

I considered NYU at sticker, and Chicago and Virginia with scholarships. After ASD I really liked Boalt significantly more than any of the other three and pretty much committed. After I got my WLs at Harvard and Yale I just committed to Berkeley and pulled myself off the WLs. That said, it took me awhile to decide between NYU, Chicago, and Boalt, and I might've gone with NYU if I had the same scholarship there that I had at Chicago. Might've gone to Chicago if they had any sort of LRAP. Since those things didn't happen, the choice was pretty easy for me.[/quote]

Very helpful discussion of the decision-making process. Thanks! I can't wait for ASD...

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Kronk wrote:
I considered NYU at sticker, and Chicago and Virginia with scholarships.
Anyone else take Boalt over NYU?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Do/did you like it here?
I am not sure I could be happier. I am blown away by the quality of my professors. I am excited every day by the amount I am learning. And when I need to get away, the weather is mostly fantastic and the distractions are both world-class and plentiful.
Working for an environmental NGO/law firm in Mexico City
Can't speak for everyone, but as far as I can tell everyone is super friendly. I made a ton of friends here almost immediately. Bar reviews are well-attended, as are other events. And while things can get stressful around finals, they never get competitive. People share notes up until the day of the test. It is pretty collegial.
My profs have been amazing. I make a point to catch up with them outside of class and they seem to always have time. Responsive to emails, too. There is very much a "you are paying my salary, I will be here for you" attitude. In fact, one of my profs, David Sklansky, has said just that.

As far as the administration, my experience has been good. CDO is a good resource - as long as you don't expect them to get you a job, you will find them helpful. I have met with the Dean of Students and she was very accommodating. I am also a big fan of Dean Edley, though I know that some in the student body feel otherwise.
I was on WL's at Penn, GULC, and Michigan. I had been accepted at Boalt long before any of those WL's came through though, and I knew I would go there over any of them, so I did not wait to hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I know many people who have said they chose Boalt over NYU/Columbia and a few who chose it over Harvard/Stanford/Yale.

I think, depending on the professors you happen to get, they can be good and bad. I was lucky and had a great prof in my area of interest and he's been very helpful. On the other hand, some of the "big names" are really horrible teachers and have a fairly open disdain for having to teach/deal with most students. I also think DE can be pretty arrogant when it comes to dealing with students/student issues. That said, he's a pretty good dean when it comes to running the school.

First year sucks compared to what comes after, but in general I enjoy my life very much, especially now that I'm almost done with 2L year. I can't imagine going to a better law school in terms of the people. Most students get along and you will get along, but there's definitely some drama available if you want to wade into it. Law students tend to be very high strung and argumentative- this combination means little stuff tends to get overblown. I don't think this is unique to Boalt.

I'll be working at a PD's office in the bay this summer. As I've mentioned before, if anyone here is interested in crim and has questions feel free to PM me.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Are any of you wonderful Boalties on this thread non-traditional students? I keep picturing everyone here the same as me, but I have to remind myself sometimes that I am going to be on the older side. I'm interested in hearing how it feels to go back in your 30s and how everything from campus climate to job interviews feel to oldies at Boalt.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:28 am

pkt63 wrote:Are any of you wonderful Boalties on this thread non-traditional students? I keep picturing everyone here the same as me, but I have to remind myself sometimes that I am going to be on the older side. I'm interested in hearing how it feels to go back in your 30s and how everything from campus climate to job interviews feel to oldies at Boalt.
Softsgalore is a nontrad. She'll be there.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:32 am

bilbobaggins wrote:I know many people who have said they chose Boalt over NYU/Columbia and a few who chose it over Harvard/Stanford/Yale.
I also know a couple people that chose Boalt over HY that are 1Ls right now. I don't understand why people are so blown away by this.. I think too many 0Ls are overly concerned about the rankings. I have a feeling that those people tend to not end up at Boalt (and I'm thankful for that!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 am

pkt63 wrote:Are any of you wonderful Boalties on this thread non-traditional students? I keep picturing everyone here the same as me, but I have to remind myself sometimes that I am going to be on the older side. I'm interested in hearing how it feels to go back in your 30s and how everything from campus climate to job interviews feel to oldies at Boalt.
I can't tell you what it's like to be at Boalt in your 30s, but it's pretty kick ass when you are in your 40s!

Happy to PM if you have specific questions. When you're here for ASD, look us up at the OWLS table (Older Wiser Law Students)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:45 am

1. Do I like it here? See one post above.
2. What am I doing this summer? Big firm in DC.
3. Do the students get along? Can't add anything to what everyone else has said. It's a great, congenial place-- but with drama if you seek it out.
4. Faculty/administration? I have been impressed in general. For some, teaching isn't what they do best but they are crazy smart and passionate about their field. I have yet to have a "Paper Chase"/socratic method class. What Bilbo says about DE is true-- he is more a school-runner than a student-hugger, but in my book, I see it as protecting my investment by keeping the school in the top 10.
5. Other schools? I was selective where I applied for personal reasons-- basically Virginia and NorCal. Going in SLS was my #1, but didn't get in. Even if I had, by the time the decision came, I was pretty sold on Boalt so it would have been an interesting decision to make. Between acceptances it was W&M, UCH and UCB. No brainer and I couldn't be happier. (See #1).

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:02 am

Dayan114 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Me. I just thought Berkeley was a better fit for me. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Dayan114 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Me. I just thought Berkeley was a better fit for me. I couldn't be happier with my choice.
After law school -- west coast or east coast?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm a 2L at Boalt who is heading back to the East Coast (NYC) this summer (and hopefully after graduation) for firm work. Rotor is also heading back to the East Coast (he is going to DC). If anyone has questions about getting work back east, don't hesitate to ask!

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I'm a 2L at Boalt who is heading back to the East Coast (NYC) this summer (and hopefully after graduation) for firm work. Rotor is also heading back to the East Coast (he is going to DC). If anyone has questions about getting work back east, don't hesitate to ask!
Fantastic. In a nutshell, right now my heart is saying Boalt (better fit! new experience!) while my head says NYU (won't have to move! wife doesn't have to find a new job!). One of the only meaningful distinctions I've been able to make between thew two programs is networking--as someone headed (Godwilling) to NYC Biglaw, at least initially, how can I make the contacts I'll need while living in Berkeley? And won't I miss out when 75% of my fellow Boalties stay in CA?

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm also trying to figure out the NYU/Boalt thing, hoping to practice in CA.

I've heard that a Boalt JD is more portable than an NYU JD.

Their reasoning is that while NYU is way better for biglaw in NYC, Boalt is still pretty good because firms there value diversity of schools. On the west coast, however, SF/LA firms are less inclined to take people from NYU, so Boalt gets the best of both worlds. Is that just biased BS?

michigan_man

New

Post by michigan_man » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Do you guys think the new UC budget cuts are going to negatively impact Boalt? I saw this and it made me worry for the school since apparently the law school still gets 30% of its budget from the state:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/annua ... er-res.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:20 pm

aesis wrote:I'm also trying to figure out the NYU/Boalt thing, hoping to practice in CA.

Their reasoning is that while NYU is way better for biglaw in NYC, Boalt is still pretty good because firms there value diversity of schools. On the west coast, however, SF/LA firms are less inclined to take people from NYU, so Boalt gets the best of both worlds. Is that just biased BS?
Half-true, but probably far exaggerated. I think the diversity hiring works to a certain extent. Certainly for BigLaw. I know a number of 2Ls that have great NYC BigLaw jobs. Three are working at DPW. So it is definitely doable. But I would imagine that the SF firms would be happy to hire NYU grads, so I think that might be an exaggeration. However, people that go to NYU often are in love with NYC and will accept no substitute. I would imagine that is a big factor, and that the SF firms probably get a lot less applicants from NYU than the NYC firms do from Boalt. I would guess that if there is a disparity, it's because more Boalt grads want to work in NYC than NYU grads want to work in San Francisco or Palo Alto.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm

Kronk wrote:
aesis wrote:I'm also trying to figure out the NYU/Boalt thing, hoping to practice in CA.

Half-true, but probably far exaggerated. I think the diversity hiring works to a certain extent. Certainly for BigLaw. I know a number of 2Ls that have great NYC BigLaw jobs. Three are working at DPW. So it is definitely doable. But I would imagine that the SF firms would be happy to hire NYU grads, so I think that might be an exaggeration. However, people that go to NYU often are in love with NYC and will accept no substitute. I would imagine that is a big factor, and that the SF firms probably get a lot less applicants from NYU than the NYC firms do from Boalt. I would guess that if there is a disparity, it's because more Boalt grads want to work in NYC than NYU grads want to work in San Francisco or Palo Alto.
Thanks for the objectivity and all the responses thus far.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm

Dayan114 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:I'm a 2L at Boalt who is heading back to the East Coast (NYC) this summer (and hopefully after graduation) for firm work. Rotor is also heading back to the East Coast (he is going to DC). If anyone has questions about getting work back east, don't hesitate to ask!
Fantastic. In a nutshell, right now my heart is saying Boalt (better fit! new experience!) while my head says NYU (won't have to move! wife doesn't have to find a new job!). One of the only meaningful distinctions I've been able to make between thew two programs is networking--as someone headed (Godwilling) to NYC Biglaw, at least initially, how can I make the contacts I'll need while living in Berkeley? And won't I miss out when 75% of my fellow Boalties stay in CA?
Well, if you live in NYC now (as it seems you do) you might already have the connections you need. Obviously it would be nice to know people working in NYC firms, but if you don't, I would suggest getting in contact with some 2Ls and 3Ls your first year at Berkeley that are headed to NYC BigLaw. If you end up coming here, there are plenty of people going to NYC and I can put you in contact with some really awesome people who you could start to make connections with.

Other than that, I might try reaching out to NYC firms your first year and trying to make connections like that. You will have an advantage in interviews because it will be obvious you want to be in NYC due to your background.

Honestly though, if you want to live in NYC afterwards, I understand the want to get away and have a new experience, but personally I don't think the city of Berkeley is all that great, and I would probably just stay at NYU. Beautiful school, awesome location--about the only bad thing is the weather and maybe the uptight East Coast vibe. It'll be a lot easier to make NYC firm connections at NYU than at Berkeley.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I'll respond to both of the two posters above here.

To the first poster, you don't honestly need to make contacts per se in NYC before OCIP. The beautiful thing about applying to NYC firms is that it is one of the few locations (possibly the only location) where you don't need any ties to the region justifying your application. It's pretty widely accepted that NYC interviewers think that everyone wants to be in NYC, and thus they don't question your ties. That being said, reaching out to alums *never* hurts, and I would recommend doing this before you interview. All you have to do is send a few emails to some Boalt grads before OCIP and let them know that you're really interested in the firm, will be interviewing with them during OCIP, and would like some info. I've found that most (if not all) alums I reached out to were happy to call and chat with me for about 30 mins or so about the firm. Then when I walked into the interview, I had some inside knowledge - I was able to say "I am really excited about your firm - I chatted with so-and-so, and she told me all about X." It's likely that your interviewer will reach out to whoever you talked to, and that person will put in a good word for you as a fellow Boaltie. (To find Boalt alums, go to a firm's website, click on a tab for "lawyers" or "who works here" or something like that, and then filter by school.)

Another thing: some firms in NYC would love to have Berkeley kids, but don't have the budget to fly out to CA to just visit two schools (you know the other school I am taking about :wink: ). On b-Line, which is our job site, there are a good number of big law firms from the East Coast that solicit resumes and then will fly you out for an interview. Don't discount this process. These firms usually start posting resume solicitations as early as June before OCIP, and as late as the Feb or March after OCIP. One that comes to mind is Fried Frank in NYC. I applied to them through b-Line and landed a callback style interview before OCIP even started.

Last bit of advice: be proactive. Don't sit around and wait for the firms to come to you - go to them. There will be a list on the career site that shows every firm that came the year prior. Until your year's list is posted, use this old list. I guarantee not much will have changed. Send resumes over the summer (like, starting in June), to all of the firms on the Vault list that don't come to Berkeley and don't solicit on b-Line (don't bother sending apps to firms that come to campus). Let them know you're interested and will be in town (if you will be, of course!). There are about 100 firms on the Vault list, and there are a bunch that don't come and don't solicit resumes. If you're deadset on NYC, send as many apps as possible to increase your chances.

Last last bit of advice: if a firm has a NYC office but doesn't send a rep from that office, you just interview with whoever is there (let's say, SF or LA) and let them know you're interviewing for NYC. But this will all be explained much much later when you start going through the OCIP info sessions.

To the second poster - A lot of what I said above should help you out. But yes - my general understanding is that Bay Area (I'm including Silicon Valley) and even LA firms favor Boalt over NYU. But this might just be because Boalties tend to stay in CA and NYU'ers tend to stay in NY, and as a result, there are more Boalties than NYU'ers applying for jobs out here. I know that almost all of the top firms recruit here - they fly out for OCIP and send representatives and host hospitality suites, sponsor cocktail hours, etc. An exclusively East Coast (NY and DC) firm just sponsored a law review retreat even though all of us have our jobs already. I think employers in NY do tend to see Berkeley kids as "exotic," and they know it's a good school.

I can't speak to the portability of a NYU degree, but it's also a great choice. My boss at my current internship (fed gov't, rather not say where) is an NYU law alum working in SF. Basically they are both really good schools, and having a degree from either will open doors for you. If you want to be on the East Coast and you're from Boalt, there are options. If you want to be on the West Coast and you're from NYU, there are also options. I don't think going to school in NYC or SF will limit your future career opportunities to those cities alone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”