Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tanicius

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Tanicius » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:38 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Okay, is there anyone who knows anything about PI prospects at Berkeley? I'm looking for firsthand knowledge.

The one thing that attracts me to Berkeley above any other school is its proximity to some fantastic PI jobs, like the San Fran defenders. Does anyone have any firsthand accounts of people getting jobs at the SFPD office, or internships at least?

Many Boalt students extern at all of the PD offices in the Bay Area, both during the year and the summer. The SF office is definitely competitive, but many Boalt students work there. Luckily, Boalt is also in/near two other great counties, Alameda and Contra Costa and many students work in these offices as well.

It is extremely difficult to get a PD job in the bay area upon graduation. It is essentially impossible to get one in SF without prior experience as a defense attorney. The first job out of Boalt usually starts with a paid law clerk position (if you're lucky). After passing the bar, you'd be eligible to become a misdemeanor attorney and hopefully this happens before the year law clerk position is up (or at the end of it).

Personally, I'm planning for the reality of having to get a PD job in a county other than Coco, Alameda, SF or Santa Clara. I figure I will work my way back to one of them. If you have any other specific questions about PD work feel free to message me.

Wow, looks like I hit the jackpot with you being here. Two questions

1.) How difficult has it been for Boalt students to secure these extern/internships?

2.) In my home state, the PD budget was horrendously slashed a few years back, is now on a total hiring freeze, and will likely be slashed another ~25% this upcoming year due to a Republican controlled state congress. California's reputation specifically is that it is, for lack of a better term, completely fucked. Aren't you worried that there won't really continue to be many of these public defense jobs left for us by the time we actually graduate?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:57 pm

tag!

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:tag!

:mrgreen:

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:tag!

:mrgreen:

<3 <3

Okay, I have spent the first half of the weekend researching Berkeley. I really didn't look into it a heck of a lot before now because I really didn't think I was going to get in. Now that it's a reality, I am getting so psyched based on what I'm finding. I have a ton of questions about the LRAP and stuff like that, but I assume that's been discussed somewhere ITT or elsewhere, so unless someone feels like expounding on it, I'll keep doing research.

The one question I do have for people here relates to living situations. Do any law students ever live in the coop housing? I was searching through the coop website (http://berkeleystudentcooperative.org/our-co-ops) and I found 2 for grad students, but it's unclear whether that ever means law students. If not, do any/many Boalt kids live in group houses outside the coop system? I really like the idea of a group house, especially during such a stressful time as 1L.

Thanks for answering questions Boalties!

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

I know people who live(d) in big law school houses and it can be good and bad. If you don't know any of the people beforehand you are certainly rolling the dice.

Don't know people who live in the coops, but it's certainly an option if they say it is.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Seriously though, everyone needs to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNMhCVjU6Fg

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:55 pm

I also have a couple questions about housing--do y'all know many people who have managed to keep their dogs during law school? Do these people tend to live in apartment complexes, house apartments, duplexes...? Do you know of any reputable places that accept pets? I have a Newfoundland dog that will be tagging along on my journey to Berkeley, and I'm kind of worried about finding housing.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm

More importantly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pPG5R0fiE&NR=1

Could the Tree be a bigger idiot?

Hard to tell. You can never underestimate the Tree's ability to suck.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:52 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:More importantly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pPG5R0fiE&NR=1

Could the Tree be a bigger idiot?

Hard to tell. You can never underestimate the Tree's ability to suck.

I have to say, just watching these has made me not want to go to Stanford (not that they'll let me in).

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:I know people who live(d) in big law school houses and it can be good and bad. If you don't know any of the people beforehand you are certainly rolling the dice.

Don't know people who live in the coops, but it's certainly an option if they say it is.

Good to know, thanks. I'm willing to roll the dice and happy to find a student body amenable to group houses.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

This webcast pretty much explains what the LRAP is all about: http://media.law.berkeley.edu/qtmedia/F ... al_Aid.mp4
It's about an hour long but worth it. Basically what I got from it, is that the federal government forgives your loans if you go into public service (even if not related to law) after 10 years/ 120 monthly IBR payments (this forgiveness is tax free). Berkeley's LRAP pays those first 120 payments for you as long as you make less than 65K a year (Berkeley's employment qualifications are a little more stringent than uncle Sam's, requiring that at least half your duties are law related or require a JD), and for income between 65 and 100K, you are required to contribute 30% of your marginal income.

I agree that we need to figure out some sort of a low-cost coop-ish type of student housing for law students.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:The one question I do have for people here relates to living situations. Do any law students ever live in the coop housing?

Yes. I know of two who moved in this year and they love it.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:37 pm

DreamShake wrote:I also have a couple questions about housing--do y'all know many people who have managed to keep their dogs during law school? Do these people tend to live in apartment complexes, house apartments, duplexes...? Do you know of any reputable places that accept pets? I have a Newfoundland dog that will be tagging along on my journey to Berkeley, and I'm kind of worried about finding housing.

I brought my dog and didn't have a difficult time finding housing. Having a dog does reduce the open market on craigslist, but not impossibly small. I know people with pets in homes, duplexes and apartments.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm

clone22 wrote:This webcast pretty much explains what the LRAP is all about: http://media.law.berkeley.edu/qtmedia/F ... al_Aid.mp4
It's about an hour long but worth it. Basically what I got from it, is that the federal government forgives your loans if you go into public service (even if not related to law) after 10 years/ 120 monthly IBR payments (this forgiveness is tax free). Berkeley's LRAP pays those first 120 payments for you as long as you make less than 65K a year (Berkeley's employment qualifications are a little more stringent than uncle Sam's, requiring that at least half your duties are law related or require a JD), and for income between 65 and 100K, you are required to contribute 30% of your marginal income.

I agree that we need to figure out some sort of a low-cost coop-ish type of student housing for law students.

Woah, sounds like I need to check out that webcast, since that is a different impression of the LRAP from what I had gathered from reading the LRAP thread that's floating around here. (I guess they have updated it since it was written about two years ago.) Thanks so much for the link!

I would love to organize some sort of group housing, assuming that I don't end up living in the co-op system!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Rotor wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:The one question I do have for people here relates to living situations. Do any law students ever live in the coop housing?

Oh -- yay! Thanks! Do you think that either of them might be opening to my visiting the house while I'm out there for ASD? Not to be too forward, but if they are interested, I can give you my email address to pass to them.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Oh -- yay! Thanks! Do you think that either of them might be opening to my visiting the house while I'm out there for ASD? Not to be too forward, but if they are interested, I can give you my email address to pass to them.

Do you think ASD organizers would be down to give us a tour of the coop housing system? (if not, plz share pictures/impressions of the place?)

Also, how competitive is the coop system? Is there like a waitlist or something?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:57 am

clone22 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Do you think ASD organizers would be down to give us a tour of the coop housing system? (if not, plz share pictures/impressions of the place?)

Also, how competitive is the coop system? Is there like a waitlist or something?

I, too, would be interested in a tour if such a think could exist, and would like to hear this info from the horse's mouth. But if you haven't seen the website (http://berkeleystudentcooperative.org/our-co-ops), it's pretty extensive and answers the questions you're asking. It sounds like basically for the co-op wide system (mostly undergrad houses, though I don't know whether they allow grads), it's competitive, but if you apply by April you have a decent shot. Most of the small ($50) application fee is refundable, and if you end up deciding not to live in the co-op housing it's okay to withdraw your app. There are some pictures that make the houses look pretty cool (though certainly variable). It's making me wish I'd gone to Berkeley for undergrad!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:49 am

Tanicius wrote:Okay, is there anyone who knows anything about PI prospects at Berkeley? I'm looking for firsthand knowledge.

The one thing that attracts me to Berkeley above any other school is its proximity to some fantastic PI jobs, like the San Fran defenders. Does anyone have any firsthand accounts of people getting jobs at the SFPD office, or internships at least?

Yes I do. What kind of PI specifically?

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:17 am

If you want to be a public defender PM and we can talk.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:If you want to be a public defender PM and we can talk.

Thanks for the help over the weekend, Bilbo.

Marshall Eriksen

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 am

Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppch

Postby ppch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 pm

tag

t1chic

Postby t1chic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi everyone! 1Ls and 2Ls - thanks so much for taking the time out to answer these questions.

Are any of you pursuing international law and/or involved in any of the international law extra-curriculars (G. William Miller Institute, Journal of ,etc.)? If so, what has your experience been thus far?

Also, are there a lot of research opportunities? Basically, a chance to work with profs one-on-one on developing briefs, etc.?

So excited to come and check out the campus (and enjoy the warmth . . .ahhhhh.)!!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 pm

t1chic wrote:Hi everyone! 1Ls and 2Ls - thanks so much for taking the time out to answer these questions.

Are any of you pursuing international law and/or involved in any of the international law extra-curriculars (G. William Miller Institute, Journal of ,etc.)? If so, what has your experience been thus far?

Also, are there a lot of research opportunities? Basically, a chance to work with profs one-on-one on developing briefs, etc.?

So excited to come and check out the campus (and enjoy the warmth . . .ahhhhh.)!!

Rotor and World Traveler can both help you out on this. :D

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 pm

t1chic wrote:Hi everyone! 1Ls and 2Ls - thanks so much for taking the time out to answer these questions.

Thanks IG. The Miller Institute supports a whole lot of the stuff going on with the Intl Law community here, but I don't know of direct work with them.

As a 1L from day 1 you can be part of the journal. That's a great experience and really helped me build skills to make CLR write on less daunting. The journal also puts on a symposium in the spring. This year, it's the topic is global justice reform efforts if you want to come on 3/31.

Other things that make the IL community good here: Prof. Caron is sitting this year as the president of the American Society of Intl Law; we've had a couple of really good new hires in the last year or two as well.

Finally, this year is the first year that we've had the IL specialty certificate available. I haven't pursued that path-- too many other things I want to take in addition to Intl offerings. But it does let you know about the depth and breadth of the offerings.

If you have specific question, fire away.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”