Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ialdabaoth

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:21 pm

First, thanks to all the 1ls and others taking questions! I have one about the environmental law opportunities at Boalt. From the website, it appears that Boalt doesn't have a dedicated environmental law clinic like many of the other T14 schools. I do realize, however, that there are externship opportunities that might offer similar experiences.

What do you all or anyone you might know that is interested in environmental law think about the overall curriculum and opportunities for EL, especially in light of not having an EL clinical program (that is, unless there is one that I haven't found on the website)?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Berkeley does not offer any 3 year joint degrees right? I would love to explore the wonderful graduate offerings in other department, but probably not at the expense of one extra year. Anyone doing a joint degree here?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:Berkeley does not offer any 3 year joint degrees right? I would love to explore the wonderful graduate offerings in other department, but probably not at the expense of one extra year. Anyone doing a joint degree here?

I'd be strongly interested in getting a JD/MBA if I could. I don't know if I could get into the business program though.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Berkeley does not offer any 3 year joint degrees right? I would love to explore the wonderful graduate offerings in other department, but probably not at the expense of one extra year. Anyone doing a joint degree here?

I'd be strongly interested in getting a JD/MBA if I could. I don't know if I could get into the business program though.

Heard from a friend that if you're already in at Boalt and your GMAT comes in within range you are essentially auto-admitted to Haas. In all fairness, he has a few years of ibanking experience so his idea of auto-admit to biz school might not be the same as everyone's. I was leaning against the JD/MBA just because from what I've heard it's next to impossible to get into an MBA program straight out of UG, but since according to my friend I have more than a shot, I'm considering it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:46 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
Knock wrote:

Heard from a friend that if you're already in at Boalt and your GMAT comes in within range you are essentially auto-admitted to Haas. In all fairness, he has a few years of ibanking experience so his idea of auto-admit to biz school might not be the same as everyone's. I was leaning against the JD/MBA just because from what I've heard it's next to impossible to get into an MBA program straight out of UG, but since according to my friend I have more than a shot, I'm considering it.

Ooo, please keep me updated. How tough is the GMAT? How often is it administered? I don't really know anything about it :oops:.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Knock wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:
Knock wrote:

Ooo, please keep me updated. How tough is the GMAT? How often is it administered? I don't really know anything about it :oops:.

It's pretty much the SAT all over again from what I've heard, except for instead of annoying vocab it's extra grammar. Heard the math was simple but fairly time constrained. You can essentially take it whenever you feel like it (weekdays too), you just sign up on the website whenever your local center has seats. Since the whole thing is on a computer they administer the test in the same center as a bunch of other different business cert type tests. It's definitely not an LSAT-esque commitment : )

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:54 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
Knock wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:
Knock wrote:

It's pretty much the SAT all over again from what I've heard, except for instead of annoying vocab it's extra grammar. Heard the math was simple but fairly time constrained. You can essentially take it whenever you feel like it (weekdays too), you just sign up on the website whenever your local center has seats. Since the whole thing is on a computer they administer the test in the same center as a bunch of other different business cert type tests. It's definitely not an LSAT-esque commitment : )

Oh cool! Maybe I will take it over summer or in the spring when I will have a little bit more free time, and if I do well enough apply for the JD/MBA! Would you apply during 1L year? or could I apply beforehand?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:54 pm

I was considering Penn/Wharton but ultimately I don't think I need a MBA for anything. Penn has a JD/MBE (bioethics) that only requires 1 extra course, so that's what I would try to do if I go there. I probably have plenty to get into business school, just no interest (and no interest in taking the GMAT). I would be interested in a certificate, saw a MOT cert between schools of Engineering and Haas, so I will do that one if I go, unless there is a 3-year joint degree option that I didn't see.

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Knock wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:
Knock wrote:

Oh cool! Maybe I will take it over summer or in the spring when I will have a little bit more free time, and if I do well enough apply for the JD/MBA! Would you apply during 1L year? or could I apply beforehand?

Basically there are 3 rounds of admission for MBA (it's semi-rolling if that makes sense, so there's 3 deadlines that put you into an admissions round, but if you're in the late round there's less spots), at this point my understanding is if you applied in you'd be in the last round, which makes it really hard to get in. I'm planning on taking my GMAT spring and then applying during 1L since if you're doing JD/MBA you don't touch the MBA work until your 2nd year.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm

No action here today, so I thought I'd re-post my question:

First, thanks to all the 1Ls and others taking questions! I have one about the environmental law opportunities at Boalt. From the website, it appears that Boalt doesn't have a dedicated environmental law clinic like many of the other T14 schools. I do realize, however, that there are externship opportunities that might offer similar experiences.

What do you all or anyone you might know at Boalt who is interested in environmental law think about the overall curriculum and opportunities for EL, especially in light of not having an EL clinical program (that is, unless there is one that I haven't found on the website)?

Thanks again!

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 am

Here's the newest update about Boalt's environmental programs via a video message from the Dean:
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/9890.htm

I don't have substantive answers or experience with the environmental law journal or other orgs/classes - someone else will have to take that one.

edit: as a sidenote on the fun/social side, I know those who are on the EL journal have loved their trips to Tahoe.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:06 am

gymboree wrote:Here's the newest update about Boalt's environmental programs via a video message from the Dean:

I don't have substantive answers or experience with the environmental law journal or other orgs/classes - someone else will have to take that one.

edit: as a sidenote on the fun/social side, I know those who are on the EL journal have loved their trips to Tahoe.

Thanks, gymboree! I hadn't run across those videos, and trips to Tahoe do sound pretty nice :)

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:03 pm

gymboree wrote:Here's the newest update about Boalt's environmental programs via a video message from the Dean:

And don't forget the annual Yosemite trip.

ELQ is definitely the most social of the secondary journals.

Edit: Word choice. Thanks for highlighting it Bilbo.
Last edited by Rotor on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:27 am

I gotta question the use of the word "minor" to describe non Law Review journals. It's not even the usual "secondary!"

Berkeley is a great city to run in and the gym is fine. Both of these are weird/interesting questions for choosing a law school. Berkeley's weather is better than most of its competitors. That should be the biggest consideration in terms of these sorts of things.

Grades will come out when they come out. Quit freaking out about them.

You do not need a car, but it is helpful when it rains.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:I was considering Penn/Wharton but ultimately I don't think I need a MBA for anything. Penn has a JD/MBE (bioethics) that only requires 1 extra course, so that's what I would try to do if I go there. I probably have plenty to get into business school, just no interest (and no interest in taking the GMAT). I would be interested in a certificate, saw a MOT cert between schools of Engineering and Haas, so I will do that one if I go, unless there is a 3-year joint degree option that I didn't see.

Haas and Wharton are in different leagues altogether. I would definitely consider getting an MBA, depending on how things pan out, but if I end up at Berkeley, I'm not sure how much traction Haas really has. I'd need to learn more about it, but it's not a gold plated calling card like Wharton.

It's a four year program: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/academ ... grees.html

The GMAT is supposed to be even easier than the LSAT.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:42 pm

GMAT is easier... 'cept there's math.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Shooter wrote:GMAT is easier... 'cept there's math.

GRE math or easier?

That may be better for me then as the GRE math was pretty easy for me. Maybe I should go get a GMAT book.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:45 pm

ahduth wrote:Haas and Wharton are in different leagues altogether. I would definitely consider getting an MBA, depending on how things pan out, but if I end up at Berkeley, I'm not sure how much traction Haas really has. I'd need to learn more about it, but it's not a gold plated calling card like Wharton.

It's a four year program: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/MBA/academ ... grees.html

The GMAT is supposed to be even easier than the LSAT.

Wharton's got the 3-year but I don't really want to pay the extra. Missed the deadline anyway for this year, something to consider if I choose to stay.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Knock wrote:Oh cool! Maybe I will take it over summer or in the spring when I will have a little bit more free time, and if I do well enough apply for the JD/MBA! Would you apply during 1L year? or could I apply beforehand?

Knock, how can you do an MBA? I thought you didn't have WE...

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Also-

There is a thread around here about MBA/JDs, but the prevailing opinion is that they're a waste of money. The JD looks just as good with most business employers and an MBA isn't as helpful if you don't have work experience.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:48 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Also-

There is a thread around here about MBA/JDs, but the prevailing opinion is that they're a waste of money. The JD looks just as good with most business employers and an MBA isn't as helpful if you don't have work experience.

So don't go for Haas is TCR?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to do a JD/MBA, unless they are just really indecisive about what they want to do (law or business) and have money to waste. If you want law and plan to go transactional and/or want to benefit from some business knowledge, just take B school classes while in LS and get a certification in business. Then you get all the practical value of doing a JD/MBA (without the extra cost): establish business contacts, learn what people who have MBAs (i.e., your future clients and even bosses) think like, get some basic finance, accounting, etc. knowledge, and so on...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to do a JD/MBA, unless they are just really indecisive about what they want to do (law or business) and have money to waste. If you want law and plan to go transactional and/or want to benefit from some business knowledge, just take B school classes while in LS and get a certification in business. Then you get all the practical value of doing a JD/MBA (without the extra cost): establish business contacts, learn what people who have MBAs (i.e., your future clients and even bosses) think like, get some basic finance, accounting, etc. knowledge, and so on...

What certificate do they have? Sorry I don't recall seeing it. I would consider Wharton MBA for the name only. So if Haas is not in the same league then I will not.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

What certificate do they have? Sorry I don't recall seeing it. I would consider Wharton MBA for the name only. So if Haas is not in the same league then I will not.

Hm, a lot of schools have certificate programs, and I thought Berkeley had one, but it might just be for LLM students. I found two applications: --LinkRemoved-- and http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/bclbe ... te_web.pdf (the latter is clearly for LLM students... the former might be for regular JD students or it just might be out of date, can't find information on the Berkeley website ATM).

Anyway, I'm not sure how much the certificate matters. The real value of supplementing your JD with some business school classes is the experiences you have and contacts you make while doing so, which you'll get regardless.

In any case, Haas is a great school, but Wharton definitely has more prestige within the business community and name recognition generally.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Typical TLS hair splitting. Haas is in the same league as Wharton.

That being said, you don't need the MBA to equip yourself for success in business. It will cost you more and take more time.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”