Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
180kickflip
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby 180kickflip » Sun May 15, 2016 1:45 am

patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Anyone commute from outside of Berkeley their 1L year? I.e a 30+ min driving commute. Did you ever get late bc of traffic? I'm debating whether or not I should commute from my parents' house and save money on rent.


Where are you coming from? I didn't live in Berkeley any of my years there.



As of right now, North Richmond (near point pinole), but my parents and I might move this summer. We would move to an area that still adds up to a 30+ min commute for me. Did you have trouble finding parking in Berkeley? I heard the underhill parking lot fills up quick.


I commuted from SF. I rented a space from someone on Craigslist about 2 blocks from the law school because it was about the same price and a guaranteed space.



how bad is the commute from sf to boalt? My fiancee is probably going to be working in sf while im there, and if the commute to the school wont be too bad, that could be an option we look at. Also, any suggestions about areas of sf that are the quickest to the school would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

User avatar
orangered
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby orangered » Sun May 15, 2016 9:22 am

180kickflip wrote:how bad is the commute from sf to boalt? My fiancee is probably going to be working in sf while im there, and if the commute to the school wont be too bad, that could be an option we look at. Also, any suggestions about areas of sf that are the quickest to the school would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


Depends where in SF. If you live near the Embarcadero BART, it's maybe 40 minutes door to door (20 minutes on BART and 20 walking). But if you live in the Richmond District or Sunset, it could be two hours via public transit. Driving can work, but you have to adjust your schedule based on the traffic on the Bay Bridge (which can be intense in both directions).

The main issue with living in SF is that it's more expensive than the East Bay, so most people do the opposite; live in East Bay and commute into the city.

User avatar
Jordan Catalano
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Jordan Catalano » Mon May 16, 2016 12:37 pm

RationalHeretic23 wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:Why are all the outlines available online so old? They are all from 1998-2003. Does this matter? Does anyone have newer outlines for civ pro, contracts, torts, crim law, property, etc?


Where online are you finding these particular outlines?


On a student-run webpage > http://www.boalt.org/outlines/

patentlitigatrix
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby patentlitigatrix » Mon May 16, 2016 3:31 pm

180kickflip wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Anyone commute from outside of Berkeley their 1L year? I.e a 30+ min driving commute. Did you ever get late bc of traffic? I'm debating whether or not I should commute from my parents' house and save money on rent.


Where are you coming from? I didn't live in Berkeley any of my years there.



As of right now, North Richmond (near point pinole), but my parents and I might move this summer. We would move to an area that still adds up to a 30+ min commute for me. Did you have trouble finding parking in Berkeley? I heard the underhill parking lot fills up quick.


I commuted from SF. I rented a space from someone on Craigslist about 2 blocks from the law school because it was about the same price and a guaranteed space.



how bad is the commute from sf to boalt? My fiancee is probably going to be working in sf while im there, and if the commute to the school wont be too bad, that could be an option we look at. Also, any suggestions about areas of sf that are the quickest to the school would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


We lived in SF because my husband worked in SF while I was in law school.

Some people do take BART. I found it really inconvenient. It isn't that likely you'll be near a BART station in the city, and then getting from the BART station in Berkeley to the law school is a pain. Doable, but will take about 45min-1 hour or more door to door.

If you can go during non-commuting hours, it is a fast drive. I've lived in Pac Heights and SoMa (25 and 15-20 min drives respectively), and strongly strongly preferred Pac Heights even though it was a longer drive.

User avatar
180kickflip
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby 180kickflip » Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
180kickflip wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
middleastpeace wrote:Anyone commute from outside of Berkeley their 1L year? I.e a 30+ min driving commute. Did you ever get late bc of traffic? I'm debating whether or not I should commute from my parents' house and save money on rent.


Where are you coming from? I didn't live in Berkeley any of my years there.



I'd do a 25 minute commute in a second, but google maps is saying 50 minutes from pacific heights to boalt right now =\

As of right now, North Richmond (near point pinole), but my parents and I might move this summer. We would move to an area that still adds up to a 30+ min commute for me. Did you have trouble finding parking in Berkeley? I heard the underhill parking lot fills up quick.


I commuted from SF. I rented a space from someone on Craigslist about 2 blocks from the law school because it was about the same price and a guaranteed space.



how bad is the commute from sf to boalt? My fiancee is probably going to be working in sf while im there, and if the commute to the school wont be too bad, that could be an option we look at. Also, any suggestions about areas of sf that are the quickest to the school would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


We lived in SF because my husband worked in SF while I was in law school.

Some people do take BART. I found it really inconvenient. It isn't that likely you'll be near a BART station in the city, and then getting from the BART station in Berkeley to the law school is a pain. Doable, but will take about 45min-1 hour or more door to door.

If you can go during non-commuting hours, it is a fast drive. I've lived in Pac Heights and SoMa (25 and 15-20 min drives respectively), and strongly strongly preferred Pac Heights even though it was a longer drive.



I'm just worried because Google maps said it was a 50 minute commute from pacific heights the last time I checked =\
Last edited by 180kickflip on Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pterodactyls
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby pterodactyls » Mon May 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Any thoughts on the best time to look for apartments for August?

Mid-June? Early July? Is the weekend of July 4 a bad time to search, because landlords will be out of town?

jtle624
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby jtle624 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

pterodactyls wrote:Any thoughts on the best time to look for apartments for August?

Mid-June? Early July? Is the weekend of July 4 a bad time to search, because landlords will be out of town?



Mid-June might be a little early if you're looking to move in at the beginning of August, you'll have to check and see what the move in date for the particular apartment you're looking at is. I'd say it's more likely that if you start searching mid-June you're going to find listings trying to get people in at the start of July, so probably the best time to start is at the beginning of July. It wouldn't hurt looking during June and contacting landlords to see if they'd be willing to hold a place until August or keep you in mind if they don't find someone they like, but with how competitive housing is in the Bay area that isn't too likely...

I don't think the weekend of July 4 is necessarily a bad time to apartment hunt, but I would not bank on finding something in just one weekend. I've been living in SF for 7 years now and lived in three different apartments, it's typically taken me a couple weeks of applying to apartments before I actually got one. The East Bay rental market isn't as brutal as in the city but it's still pretty brutal.

arose928
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 am

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby arose928 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:08 am

Jordan Catalano wrote:Why are all the outlines available online so old? They are all from 1998-2003. Does this matter? Does anyone have newer outlines for civ pro, contracts, torts, crim law, property, etc?


You're kind of jumping the gun a bit, but most orgs/journals have outline banks that you get access to if you join, with more current outlines.

User avatar
Jordan Catalano
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Jordan Catalano » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:46 pm

Edit: double post
Last edited by Jordan Catalano on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jordan Catalano
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Jordan Catalano » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:47 pm

arose928 wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:Why are all the outlines available online so old? They are all from 1998-2003. Does this matter? Does anyone have newer outlines for civ pro, contracts, torts, crim law, property, etc?


You're kind of jumping the gun a bit, but most orgs/journals have outline banks that you get access to if you join, with more current outlines.


I know it is too soon, but I'm terribly bored this summer (no work, no school, no money to travel) so reading outlines became something to do.

Speaking of reading, I've read One L and Getting To Maybe if anyone has other book suggestions, let me know!

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7665
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Jordan Catalano wrote:
arose928 wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:Why are all the outlines available online so old? They are all from 1998-2003. Does this matter? Does anyone have newer outlines for civ pro, contracts, torts, crim law, property, etc?


You're kind of jumping the gun a bit, but most orgs/journals have outline banks that you get access to if you join, with more current outlines.


I know it is too soon, but I'm terribly bored this summer (no work, no school, no money to travel) so reading outlines became something to do.

Speaking of reading, I've read One L and Getting To Maybe if anyone has other book suggestions, let me know!


Stop. Go do anything else.

User avatar
Jordan Catalano
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby Jordan Catalano » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:15 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:
arose928 wrote:
Jordan Catalano wrote:Why are all the outlines available online so old? They are all from 1998-2003. Does this matter? Does anyone have newer outlines for civ pro, contracts, torts, crim law, property, etc?


You're kind of jumping the gun a bit, but most orgs/journals have outline banks that you get access to if you join, with more current outlines.


I know it is too soon, but I'm terribly bored this summer (no work, no school, no money to travel) so reading outlines became something to do.

Speaking of reading, I've read One L and Getting To Maybe if anyone has other book suggestions, let me know!


Stop. Go do anything else.


I am currently arguing with someone about the use of contractions on another TLS thread. Really, I have reached heights of boredom perhaps no one has seen before.

User avatar
littlewing67
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Death Penalty Clinic or know of anyone who has. I'm interested in criminal defense and public interest specially regarding the death penalty and capital punishment. Would you say it is hard to get into this clinic? Thanks :D

LifeGoals
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 am

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby LifeGoals » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:51 am

Farhang was at Boalt and is now visiting at my school. Might anyone have a civ pro outline for his class?

arose928
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 am

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby arose928 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:37 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Death Penalty Clinic or know of anyone who has. I'm interested in criminal defense and public interest specially regarding the death penalty and capital punishment. Would you say it is hard to get into this clinic? Thanks :D


It is difficult to get into, particularly as a 2L. I know some people who have done it but I don't know how, but expect to do it your 3L year unless you are a death penalty wunderkind (i.e. have worked on this stuff before). They typically want you to have taken evidence. It's also a very big time commitment, both in that it's year-long (all other clinics are for the semester) and in the amount of hours it requires.

User avatar
littlewing67
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby littlewing67 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 am

arose928 wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I was wondering if anyone has participated in the Death Penalty Clinic or know of anyone who has. I'm interested in criminal defense and public interest specially regarding the death penalty and capital punishment. Would you say it is hard to get into this clinic? Thanks :D


It is difficult to get into, particularly as a 2L. I know some people who have done it but I don't know how, but expect to do it your 3L year unless you are a death penalty wunderkind (i.e. have worked on this stuff before). They typically want you to have taken evidence. It's also a very big time commitment, both in that it's year-long (all other clinics are for the semester) and in the amount of hours it requires.


Thank you for your insight!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests