Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
r6_philly

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:35 am

I couldn't find anything on the website yet, but what can one expect at the ASW? I am trying to put in time at work. I want to spend some time around the bay area on my own aside from school stuff, can anyone give me an idea of what's put on at the ASW so I can gauge time needed for my trip?

TIA!

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 pm

I couldn't find anything on the website yet, but what can one expect at the ASW? I am trying to put in time at work. I want to spend some time around the bay area on my own aside from school stuff, can anyone give me an idea of what's put on at the ASW so I can gauge time needed for my trip?

ASW is fun - but really it is an ASD, with those wanting to make it a weekend-long affair doing so. Thursday night there is a diversity happy hour. Friday is when all of the events take place - Deans Tom and Edley will speak, among others; there will be several "break-out session" type talks (about an hour each, focusing on things like career paths and financial aid) and then you can meet individually with fin. aid counselors. There there is an activities fair, where you can learn about all of the different clubs, clinics, etc.

After all of that noise, there is a keg in the courtyard and everyone just has a good time. Usually some sort of large party will follow. For our ASW, some 2L's hosted a party that was very well attended. Drinks, dancing and the like. It was fun.

On saturday ELQ (Boalt's enviro. law journal) hosted a hike in the Berkeley Hills and there was also a small BBQ. Lots of of people just went and hung out in the city Saturday, though - and some had left the Bay altogether.

If you can, I recommend staying Thurs through Sun. Go to the happy hour on Thursday (whether you are diverse or not (diversity events at Boalt are all-inclusive, for the most part) and go to the events on Saturday too. Then spend Sat. night out in the city. That's what I would do, anyway, if I was to do ASW all over again.

Ok, study break over :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Thank you so much! I will plan accordingly :D

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 am

gymboree wrote:1. Do I expect tuition/living to hit $80k: No. As a 2L/3L almost everyone gets in-state tuition, so that's a nice break (although not as it used to be, obviously).

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions everyone! With regard to residency, why "almost?" And why only some 2L and others 3L? What's all involved in this process (if I remember reading correctly about it somewhere, it basically involves living there for a year and producing bills from in-state as well as a CA driver's license... but there must be more if not everyone is taking advantage of it)?

I am also wondering about the Law and Technology program... I assume this is pretty stellar. Not 100% sure I want to go IP, but I know transactional work is in my future. If anyone can speak to the program and job prospects, it would be much appreciated.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 am

r6_philly wrote:Thank you so much! I will plan accordingly :D

r6, my twin went to Berkeley for undergrad and I don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but also check out the asian ghetto while you are there if you have the time. Steve's Korean BBQ = really good & cheap.

Plus they give you a ton of food, so it easily makes two meals.

Berkeley rules. I wish I had tried harder in high school so I could have gone with my twin there for undergrad. Oh well.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:46 am

mrmangs wrote:
gymboree wrote:1. Do I expect tuition/living to hit $80k: No. As a 2L/3L almost everyone gets in-state tuition, so that's a nice break (although not as it used to be, obviously).

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions everyone! With regard to residency, why "almost?" And why only some 2L and others 3L? What's all involved in this process (if I remember reading correctly about it somewhere, it basically involves living there for a year and producing bills from in-state as well as a CA driver's license... but there must be more if not everyone is taking advantage of it)?

I am also wondering about the Law and Technology program... I assume this is pretty stellar. Not 100% sure I want to go IP, but I know transactional work is in my future. If anyone can speak to the program and job prospects, it would be much appreciated.

2L jumping in on the 1Ls thread here:

WRT residency, the legal requirement is a demonstrated intent to remain in the state following graduation. Typically, the people who DON'T qualify went back to their home state for the summer. I know of only one classmate in this situation. (But admittedly I don't go around asking "what's your residency status?").

On the BCLT front (Berk Ctr for Law & Tech) has a wonderful reputation. I'm not an IP
type, but everyone going that route really seem to like it. As an IP outsider, my impression was that IP job prospects were very good. Maybe AmyLAChemist can weigh in better than I?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:09 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Thank you so much! I will plan accordingly :D

r6, my twin went to Berkeley for undergrad and I don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but also check out the asian ghetto while you are there if you have the time. Steve's Korean BBQ = really good & cheap.

Plus they give you a ton of food, so it easily makes two meals.

Berkeley rules. I wish I had tried harder in high school so I could have gone with my twin there for undergrad. Oh well.

Thank you for that suggestion. Food is very high up on my list of criterias :mrgreen:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Rotor wrote:On the BCLT front (Berk Ctr for Law & Tech) has a wonderful reputation. I'm not an IP
type, but everyone going that route really seem to like it. As an IP outsider, my impression was that IP job prospects were very good. Maybe AmyLAChemist can weigh in better than I?

Anyone know the stats and inside info on IP/tech job prospects as opposed to Stanford? I am 100% sure I am going to be in that area due to my background and WE. I have no interest in traditional big law so I think general stats may not be as useful for me.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 am

gymboree wrote:Our faculty ratio is fantastic (see Shaggier's info above), our new addition looks amazing, and the people who decide to come to Boalt understand they're coming to a state school, not a country club. Dean Edley likes to joke that Boalt used to be a publicly funded school, now it's a publicly encouraged school. The budget used to be 80% funded by the state and it's now at 25%. The fact that we have a huge addition and are adding faculty at a time when other Berkeley graduate departments are freezing hiring and laying off admin speaks volumes about how effective Boalt leadership and alumni are at fundraising. They're not slowing down. They have so many alumni events - there's another one this weekend. They bring alumni to the school to show them the building progress, solicit more financial support, and drag skads of students through these receptions for networking. I see the school working very hard to make sure we're successful on all fronts.

So, has the school been affected? Absolutely - but it's been in terms of budget concerns. I wouldn't want to be Dean Edley, that's for sure. Are we being shielded from that struggle as much as possible? In my opinion, yes.

I know there are others who are upset about the tuition. But I agree with Shaggier. I came here understanding what the tuition was, saw it in line with peer schools (which are the same schools we were all deciding between -- the whole T14). It's all the same so what's the big deal, I say. But everyone knows I'm a glass half full kind of person.

How are the facilities at Boalt? What exactly does the underlined mean?.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 pm

To those considering Boalt: as a 1L in the exam trenches this week, I can say that the grading system does a great deal to mitigate some of the end-of-semester stress. While people still be freaking out, it's a great relief to know that, unless you truly don't know the material, you (and most of your classmates) will at least be getting a "P".

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:To those considering Boalt: as a 1L in the exam trenches this week, I can say that the grading system does a great deal to mitigate some of the end-of-semester stress. While people still be freaking out, it's a great relief to know that, unless you truly don't know the material, you (and most of your classmates) will at least be getting a "P".

Not to get you stressed, but thinking longer term (i.e., when hiring becomes a concern), having Ps doesn't seem that helpful. Boalt is definitely high on my list, and I can see the advantages of the sort of grading system it employs when the economy is good, but ITE I just don't know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Maybe if 5% get HH, and 20% get H, 75% get P would work better. Top quartile and the rest.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:Maybe if 5% get HH, and 20% get H, 75% get P would work better. Top quartile and the rest.

No, that would only make things worse. Substantially more of the above-median class will get straight P's, making them indistinguishable from the bottom of the class.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:12 pm

im_blue wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Maybe if 5% get HH, and 20% get H, 75% get P would work better. Top quartile and the rest.

No, that would only make things worse. Substantially more of the above-median class will get straight P's, making them indistinguishable from the bottom of the class.

Is the goal to bring forward the bottom of the class or to separate them? We have to define it. If the goal of the school is to provide equal career prospect to median and bottom, then what I proposed would work. If the goal is to get the top half jobs at the expense of the lower half, then no. I suspect the school wants to watch out for the whole class, especial at a T10 school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Is the goal to bring forward the bottom of the class or to separate them? We have to define it. If the goal of the school is to provide equal career prospect to median and bottom, then what I proposed would work. If the goal is to get the top half jobs at the expense of the lower half, then no. I suspect the school wants to watch out for the whole class, especial at a T10 school.

IMO the goal should be to give more HH and H so that the medianish student doesn't get screwed by being lumped with the bottom half (which is SOL anyway ITE, as with every lower T14).

Suppose employers had enough jobs to hire the top 1/2 of MVPB, but 75% of Boalt had straight P's. They'd just end up hiring the top 25% at Boalt and the top 50% at MVP.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 pm

im_blue wrote:IMO the goal should be to give more HH and H so that the medianish student doesn't get screwed by being lumped with the bottom half (which is SOL anyway ITE, as with every lower T14).

Suppose employers had enough jobs to hire the top 1/2 of MVPB, but 75% of Boalt had straight P's. They'd just end up hiring the top 25% at Boalt and the top 50% at MVP.

That is a big "Suppose" :) and it will drastically alter our discussion here either way. I don't know enough about legal hiring to make any further determinations. Here is probably where the small size and regional bias hurts Berkeley nationally.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm

2L here with a significant number of Ps and a biglaw job next summer. DO NOT let the whole "Ps" thing scare you - seriously. I had a good number of interviews (9) that were designated as callbacks all up and down the Vault rankings. I ended up with offers from a top 15 firm (which I turned down) and an offer from the lower vault (which I accepted). The fact of the matter is that Berkeley is a top law school and a JD from Berkeley will open doors for you. When you take your Berkeley law degree to a place like NY where there are almost 100 big law firms that take bigger SA classes, there is a strong likelihood you will land an SA gig SOMEWHERE on the vault list (i.e. @ 160k). If you limit yourself to the Bay Area, well, that might be an issue. But if you are geographically flexible and proactive in your job search, this will not stop you.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:38 pm

IzziesGal wrote:But this is entirely too soon for people to be worrying about OCIP!!

It's never too soon in the school selection process.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:29 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
To those considering Boalt: as a 1L in the exam trenches this week, I can say that the grading system does a great deal to mitigate some of the end-of-semester stress. While people still be freaking out, it's a great relief to know that, unless you truly don't know the material, you (and most of your classmates) will at least be getting a "P".

Not to get you stressed, but thinking longer term (i.e., when hiring becomes a concern), having Ps doesn't seem that helpful. Boalt is definitely high on my list, and I can see the advantages of the sort of grading system it employs when the economy is good, but ITE I just don't know.

Here's the thing: yes, it is not "that helpful" to have P's, but it is better than what might happen at other schools if you land at the bottom of the curve. I think you may have missed his point - you don't have this "holy shit what if I fail!?" stress looming over your head. Because worst case scenario, first semester, is that you get straight P's. It is comforting... allows you to focus more on the material and less on the stress.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 am

Lol @ bolded piece. Yes - people get P's. But getting straight P's is not actually all that common. Most people get a mix of H's and P's.

(That is the impression I am under, anyway. Maybe some upperclassmen can elaborate?)

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:54 am

Shaggier1 wrote:

Lol @ bolded piece. Yes - people get P's. But getting straight P's is not actually all that common. Most people get a mix of H's and P's.

(That is the impression I am under, anyway. Maybe some upperclassmen can elaborate?)

I would say about 20-30% of the class has straight Ps. It's fairly common. After 1st semester it might be more like 40%. Either you get how to take an exam or you don't. The HHs in each class tend to go to the same people, with some exceptions.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:48 am

Knock wrote:
gymboree wrote:Our faculty ratio is fantastic (see Shaggier's info above), our new addition looks amazing, and the people who decide to come to Boalt understand they're coming to a state school, not a country club. Dean Edley likes to joke that Boalt used to be a publicly funded school, now it's a publicly encouraged school. The budget used to be 80% funded by the state and it's now at 25%. The fact that we have a huge addition and are adding faculty at a time when other Berkeley graduate departments are freezing hiring and laying off admin speaks volumes about how effective Boalt leadership and alumni are at fundraising. They're not slowing down. They have so many alumni events - there's another one this weekend. They bring alumni to the school to show them the building progress, solicit more financial support, and drag skads of students through these receptions for networking. I see the school working very hard to make sure we're successful on all fronts.

So, has the school been affected? Absolutely - but it's been in terms of budget concerns. I wouldn't want to be Dean Edley, that's for sure. Are we being shielded from that struggle as much as possible? In my opinion, yes.

I know there are others who are upset about the tuition. But I agree with Shaggier. I came here understanding what the tuition was, saw it in line with peer schools (which are the same schools we were all deciding between -- the whole T14). It's all the same so what's the big deal, I say. But everyone knows I'm a glass half full kind of person.

I think my question was missed. I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on it. Thank you :).

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 am

Knock wrote:
Knock wrote:

I think my question was missed. I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on it. Thank you :).

This of course was a pot shot directed at Stanford. Good catch. I went to Stanford, but I've spent some time at Cal as well. Compared to it, Stanford's like a country club, no question. I still loved it though! I really like Cal's campus as well, fwiw.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:06 am

can't believe I'm answering with an exam in the morning [hello, procrastination!].

I was talking about the new building - it's in the last phase of construction and will be open for next fall. The downstairs hallway (and new classrooms) will be open this spring. The new journal offices and student center are already open. We're getting a new rooftop deck/lounge area (on top of the new library, cafe, study rooms, etc.).

You can watch the time lapse video of the construction here:
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/building/cam2.html

If you're referring to my calling it a public school and not a country club, well, that's what I meant. It's not a country club. Parts of the building are older. They're not run-down or decrepit (they've got new desks, outlets, fancy mesh chairs, etc) but they just have an older feeling (the three largest classrooms come to mind). And in some areas adjacent to construction, it's hard to tell what's old and what's construction-impact. But, because I don't know it any differently, I don't even see it anymore. It'll be strange to come back after the winter break to a new hallway, additional classrooms, and new routes through the building. But it sure does look fabulous and I can't wait.

edit: here's a better description of what they've done: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/building/ma ... eline.html
Last edited by gymboree on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. Can't wait to check out the newly completed construction at ASW :mrgreen:.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”