Boalt 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DreamShake

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Postby DreamShake » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am

Tanicius wrote:
DreamShake wrote:
TheoO wrote:
TheoO wrote:Hey Boalt people, anyone have any word on Russell Robinson for Conlaw? Please pm me!

Just wondering if anyone has any word on the guy above.

Readings are pretty light. Tries to encourage a lot of class discussion but doesn't do a terribly good job of balancing sides (an understandable flaw). Be forewarned that his class is essentially a semester on equal protection and due process as they relate to (a) Blacks/Hispanics (and not whites, Asians, or other non-Black/Hispanic minorities), (b) homosexuals, and (c) women. There's a one/two-week commerce clause piece thrown it at the end as well. I strongly regretted taking the class because I expected more than this.

Eh, that wasn't how my class with him went. We spent the first 5-6 weeks on Lockner and then did the Commerce Clause for a few weeks after that.

We weren't in the same class--I took him as a 3L, probably a year after you had him. Can't recall if we started on EPC or DPC, but we stuck with it for months then moved onto the other. Maybe I'm shortchanging the time spent on CC out of hindsight bias or something similar, but I'm fairly confident we didn't spend more than 2-3 weeks on it. And the final was 100% EPC/DPC.

Someone can always take Ross if a more diversified conlaw curriculum is desired--iirc, he's known to balance subject matter a little more.

hayoungiee

Postby hayoungiee » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 pm

Any Boalt students attending at sticker or know anyone who is? How are you/they handling the debt? What are your/their future career plans post-law school?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:15 pm

hayoungiee wrote:Any Boalt students attending at sticker or know anyone who is? How are you/they handling the debt? What are your/their future career plans post-law school?

Went for sticker and graduated in 2014. Granted, end-game price after first cycle of interest came out to about 250k rather than the current value for c/o 2017, which I think is going to be 290k before interest or some ridiculous shit. They are equally atrocious figures of debt but the closer to actual 300,000 you get, the more nervous you're probably becoming.

My plan for dealing with it is PSLF through public defense. If the conservatards erase PSLF and refuse to grandfather me in before my 10 years are up, I'll be jumping ship and going to a civil lit firm as fast as my ass can move.

hayoungiee

Postby hayoungiee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Tanicius wrote:
hayoungiee wrote:Any Boalt students attending at sticker or know anyone who is? How are you/they handling the debt? What are your/their future career plans post-law school?

Went for sticker and graduated in 2014. Granted, end-game price after first cycle of interest came out to about 250k rather than the current value for c/o 2017, which I think is going to be 290k before interest or some ridiculous shit. They are equally atrocious figures of debt but the closer to actual 300,000 you get, the more nervous you're probably becoming.

My plan for dealing with it is PSLF through public defense. If the conservatards erase PSLF and refuse to grandfather me in before my 10 years are up, I'll be jumping ship and going to a civil lit firm as fast as my ass can move.

Do you regret this decision at all? Was the Boalt education/experience worth bearing the burden of the loans you've incurred? Asking because this might become a reality for me this fall.

arose928

Postby arose928 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 pm

hayoungiee wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Do you regret this decision at all? Was the Boalt education/experience worth bearing the burden of the loans you've incurred? Asking because this might become a reality for me this fall.

+1. I'm planning the same path (sticker debt, public defense, LRAP/PSLF) so would love to hear more.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:42 am

I would not say I regret it. I love the job I have. With that said, it seems like an objectively poor decision. I was offered some money at Michigan and it probably would have been wise to take it. On the other hand, it would have possibly been harder to get the PD experience and connections that I did in CA if I had gone to Michigan, so it is important to balance those pros and cons. Analyzing the particular strengths and weaknesses of a school's location and specialties can matter when you're splitting scholarship hairs.

The other choice I had was taking a full ride at UIUC (very, very glad I didn't do that just one year before Dean Pless imploded with his dishonest stats publication scandal and its nosedive in the rankins), or a half scholarship at UMN for in-state'rs. I'm glad I got the chance to get out of the Midwest and live in a big coastal city area.

For my particular career, it made sense to go to Berkeley -- the Bay Area is awash with public defender offices that hire 3L's, whereas the Midwest is not. Probably more importantly, I did not limit myself by going to Berkeley. I would have limited myself by choosing a T-20 with a big scholly. I wanted to keep the non-PD route open as a possibility if it proved necessary. I did Berkeley's OCI, nothing came of it, and I'm glad I tried it because it confirmed I do not want to do firm work.

Still, going to a law school with the intent to rely on PSLF/LPRA in order to do public interest is super risky. If I hadn't gotten the job I did, I would probably still be volunteering right now, and who knows if I would have landed something in the near future. If I had gone to a T-20 and had that happen, at least I wouldn't have the debt hanging over my head.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:46 am

There are a lot of ways to service the debt. Not that I would say it is a comfortable feeling having nearly $300k in debt, but there are a lot of creative ways to deal with it between PSLF and normal PAYE. I would be willing to talk about it more but I don't want to bore people when there is so much information on those programs already on TLS.

But, in short, the 20-year PAYE forgiveness program is actually pretty decent because the tax bomb isn't nearly as significant as people originally thought. Again, I'd be willing to go into more detail if you want, but essentially, if you're willing to deal with the tax bomb one way or another (either by saving or managing your assets in a way as to avoid it almost entirely) I'd argue that PAYE allows you to do pretty much anything you like for work out of Boalt. I recently jumped from a DA's office to a lifestyle midlaw firm after researching PAYE and coming to the conclusion that the tax bomb won't be much more than a speedbump.

I don't regret going to Boalt at sticker because I made the best decision I could have made when I went, based on what I thought that I wanted to do and the programs available at the time. PAYE and etc. were not in effect in 2009 when I was deciding, and Boalt had the best independent LRAP program when I was applying outside of Stanford and Yale. I got quite a bit of scholarship money at UChicago and Virginia that maybe I should have taken, but I think Berkeley has a better rep where I currently practice (CO) and I can't say I regret it.

arose928

Postby arose928 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks guys (or gals), that helps!

limeo

Postby limeo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:25 am

I am curious about how helpful the career services office is for students/alumni interested in either conservative PI jobs or clerking for conservative judges? At ASW it was clear that everyone who spoke from career services was very liberal (I don't know about the main dean). Obviously schools want their students/alumni to attain the best possible career outcomes, but I am just curious if conservatives at Berkeley would have the same assistance as liberals would in job searches that are somewhat political/ideological. If there is a disparity, is it greater than at Berkeley's peer schools?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 am

limeo wrote:I am curious about how helpful the career services office is for students/alumni interested in either conservative PI jobs or clerking for conservative judges? At ASW it was clear that everyone who spoke from career services was very liberal (I don't know about the main dean). Obviously schools want their students/alumni to attain the best possible career outcomes, but I am just curious if conservatives at Berkeley would have the same assistance as liberals would in job searches that are somewhat political/ideological. If there is a disparity, is it greater than at Berkeley's peer schools?
I've been out a couple of years, but I didn't find any difference in treatment from the administration (in particular the CSO) because of my beliefs. I doubt it will be be an issue for you, but YMMV.

Even if they couldn't put personal feelings aside, for the most part, CSO doesn't do the heavy lifting for placement in chambers or particular jobs. Connection through profs is far more important and you'll be able to find a mentor there regardless of your persuasion.

arose928

Postby arose928 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:47 am

Is there a Boalt student around who negotiated merit aid who I could PM a draft email to? Just want another set of eyes on what could potentially be a pretty important email, and the people I'd normally ask to review don't have experience in this arena.

Edit: Nevermind, just sent it in!
Last edited by arose928 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trynalaw123

Postby trynalaw123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:36 am

If anyone here successfully received a matching scholarship, would you please PM me with your strategy?! I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by trynalaw123 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

arose928

Postby arose928 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Couple people asking this in the c/o 2018 thread and I was also curious. For need-based grants, do the initial amounts granted when you're a 0L typically stay pretty steady? I understand summer earnings would impact it, but outside of that can you pretty much count on a similarly sized award your 2L and 3L years?

hawnee86

Postby hawnee86 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 pm

Similarly, if I dont qualify for need-based aid as a 0L because of my current earnings, but naturally my income drops once I start law school, will I be able to qualify in subsequent years? (Over 30 and parents are not involved in my finances, if this is relevant)

Blue0613

Postby Blue0613 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I am an idiot. Please delete.
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bingo90

Postby bingo90 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I got the sense at ASW that bar review isn't as big as it is at some other schools. Is this accurate? Asking as someone who isn't really into going out to bars. I don't mind occasionally, but if this is the main form of meeting other students, relaxing, etc. I wouldn't particularly enjoy it.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:09 am

bingo90 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! I got the sense at ASW that bar review isn't as big as it is at some other schools. Is this accurate? Asking as someone who isn't really into going out to bars. I don't mind occasionally, but if this is the main form of meeting other students, relaxing, etc. I wouldn't particularly enjoy it.

I think I went to 1 bar review the entire time I was at Berkeley and still managed to make lots of friends, so you'll be fine. There's a ton of other activities.

Flokkness

Postby Flokkness » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:36 am

Epic thread ya'll.

Read back a ways but came up empty. What's the consensus on best (as in, affordable, close to campus, close to public transit, decent parking) housing out there? What's the best time to rent as an incoming 1L? Anybody have success renting a room?

Going to schedule a visit in May (from MD/PA) but really unclear on the Berk student housing scene so not sure if it would be wise to begin apartment hunting that early.

Thanks!

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 am

Going back East is not a concern from Berkeley. See several posts earlier in this thread. For example: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=130044&start=1025

AwesomeLawyer

Postby AwesomeLawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:07 pm

In terms of establishing residency, what I have understood so far is that it's a no-no to work outside CA for your 1L summer. What about the 2L summer? Also, what if I get into a UCDC program for a semester or Harvard/Berkeley for 3L year, will they automatically revoke my newly established residency for that year, even if my documents (drivers license, voter registry, bank, taxes, etc.) remain on the CA address? And what if I move back to NYC right after graduation, will they ask for the money back? I am just trying to figure out if it's even worth it to start the whole documentation switch or not even bother with it becuase most of my jobs (international law) are in NYC and I don't want that path to be closed for me, although paying 12k less in tuition and fees is also very attractive.

Flokkness

Postby Flokkness » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 am

Any thoughts on Ida or Manville (preferably Ida, for the real kitchens) for first year? How useful is the CalNet housing service?

Coming from the east coast on a moderately tight budget this housing situation is a bit tetchy.

Thanks in advance.

BlueLaw11

Postby BlueLaw11 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 am

Can any current students speak to the effectiveness of the Career Service Office? Are they genuinely helpful/effective or more so the opposite?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 05, 2015 8:32 am

Flokkness wrote:Any thoughts on Ida or Manville (preferably Ida, for the real kitchens) for first year? How useful is the CalNet housing service?

Coming from the east coast on a moderately tight budget this housing situation is a bit tetchy.

Thanks in advance.

Both housing units suck. You're going to be sleeping on a mattress that can barely contain one average human body. You're also going to be paying out the mouth and ears for it. It's better to find some room to rent for $8-900 a month.

SlothManProphecy

Postby SlothManProphecy » Tue May 05, 2015 12:09 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Can any current students speak to the effectiveness of the Career Service Office? Are they genuinely helpful/effective or more so the opposite?

I've found them to be generally helpful. They have tons of contacts and can put you in touch with a lot of different people. They put on a lot of different events and lunch talks geared toward private sector, public sector, and PI.

I've only talked with them a few times. I know some 1Ls that have appointments with the CDO every week - I'm not quite sure what they are doing.

SlothManProphecy

Postby SlothManProphecy » Tue May 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Flokkness wrote:Any thoughts on Ida or Manville (preferably Ida, for the real kitchens) for first year? How useful is the CalNet housing service?

Thanks in advance.

Both housing units suck. You're going to be sleeping on a mattress that can barely contain one average human body. You're also going to be paying out the mouth and ears for it. It's better to find some room to rent for $8-900 a month.

I don't live there, but I agree that it seems way too expensive for what you get. That being said, I know a few students who live there and enjoy it. It can be a good option for a year if you are really having a hard time finding an apartment from out of state and don't have the option to stay in a hotel/airbnb for a few weeks to secure an apartment.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”