Boalt 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Flokkness

Bronze

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Post by Flokkness » Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 pm

So wow @ being offered Jackson with 36 hours to decide and deposit.

Buttttt what do you do for parking in Jackson, Manville? They got snippy when I called and asked and refused to offer suggestions. Pretty ridic.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 pm

So wow @ being offered Jackson with 36 hours to decide and deposit.

Buttttt what do you do for parking in Jackson, Manville? They got snippy when I called and asked and refused to offer suggestions. Pretty ridic.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 pm

The cheapest thing to do is to get a residential parking permit from the City of Berkeley. It costs about $55 per year and you can park within a residential parking zone around your home.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Customer_S ... rking.aspx

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sun May 10, 2015 12:56 am

Redamon1 wrote:The cheapest thing to do is to get a residential parking permit from the City of Berkeley. It costs about $55 per year and you can park within a residential parking zone around your home.

Thanks for the tip! Heard that before but also that its still a battle royale with said permit. Was hoping for a magic bullet... which is probably just to rent a place with parking, lol.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:13 am

Flokkness wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:The cheapest thing to do is to get a residential parking permit from the City of Berkeley. It costs about $55 per year and you can park within a residential parking zone around your home.

Thanks for the tip! Heard that before but also that its still a battle royale with said permit. Was hoping for a magic bullet... which is probably just to rent a place with parking, lol.
Well, except on game days, I usually don't have trouble finding street parking, and I live near Boalt. Maybe it's different in other parts of town...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Sun May 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Flokkness wrote:

Well, except on game days, I usually don't have trouble finding street parking, and I live near Boalt. Maybe it's different in other parts of town...
Cool dude. I'm gonna take the spot. Thanks!

lawschool134

New

Post by lawschool134 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 am

Have any of you students/alumni that turned down a sizeable scholarship at a lower t14 to attend Boalt at sticker ever regretted it? I can only go to Berkeley if I do this so curious to hear if there are others who had to make the same decision

Thanks!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 22, 2015 8:49 am

lawschool134 wrote:Have any of you students/alumni that turned down a sizeable scholarship at a lower t14 to attend Boalt at sticker ever regretted it? I can only go to Berkeley if I do this so curious to hear if there are others who had to make the same decision

Thanks!
I did that. I don't regret it because I found the job I wanted to have. But if that hadn't happened...

allsystemsgo

New

Post by allsystemsgo » Sun May 31, 2015 4:19 am

Any thoughts on finding a place that allows dogs? I'm getting discouraged by seeing almost only $2000+ options. There's gotta be something.. right? ....right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Any Boalt students around who did the Berkeley pre-orientation "law school boot camp" the week before classes started? Did you find it to be useful? Would you recommend it? I just got the email and not sure whether I should apply. I've been out of school for over 5 years so I guess I could use a refresher, but I also don't feel a strong need to go to more class than necessary..

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:08 pm

arose928 wrote:Any Boalt students around who did the Berkeley pre-orientation "law school boot camp" the week before classes started? Did you find it to be useful? Would you recommend it? I just got the email and not sure whether I should apply. I've been out of school for over 5 years so I guess I could use a refresher, but I also don't feel a strong need to go to more class than necessary..
I did it and found it useful. It's particularly useful if you've been out of school for a while or are the first in your family to attend law school (or college). It helped demystify things and get oriented. I really didn't know much (anything?) about the law or the legal profession before entering law school, so pretty basic concepts professors may take for granted 1L year were things I had to learn, and the pre-orientation helped cover some of this ground. Some 2Ls and 3Ls also joined to share study tips, which was good.

That said, if you can't make it or don't get in (not sure how selective this is nowadays—I think they have a limited budget/space), you will be fine without it. It just helps smooth the transition.

greeksalad

New

Post by greeksalad » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Hey everyone! Has anyone taken a class with David Gamage? He is visiting at my school from Berkeley and I am curious what sort of teacher he is. He is teaching fed tax. Thanks.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Hey Boalt people: looking to speak to anyone who had Talley for Corp.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:45 pm

Did anyone have Prasad Krishnamurthy for anti-trust or any other courses? If you have an outline to share, that would be incredible, but general thoughts would be nice too. (edit: I see I'm the third one in a row to come begging. Sorry for cluttering up your thread).

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:20 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Did anyone have Prasad Krishnamurthy for anti-trust or any other courses? If you have an outline to share, that would be incredible, but general thoughts would be nice too. (edit: I see I'm the third one in a row to come begging. Sorry for cluttering up your thread).
I took Prasad for another course. He was pretty reasonable and easy to communicate with. My course was more of a seminar course, so it was not stressful at all. I don't have any personal knowledge on his antitrust class, but I have heard it was ok. I think that some of the journals may have an outline for this course...check business law journal or BTLJ (they would probably have it since their members would likely the people taking the course).

Schadenfreude2017

New

Post by Schadenfreude2017 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:19 am

Guys. I'm just terrified to fail the citation test tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice?

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:30 am

Schadenfreude2017 wrote:Guys. I'm just terrified to fail the citation test tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice?
Did you take the practice tests? They're available on the library website. After taking one I saw the common tricks that they were going for so I did way better on the second one.

But better advice is to not worry too much about it. They're supposed to be super fair, the aim isn't for you to fail, it's for you to pass. If you've done the bluebook exercises you should be fine.

And if you are still worrying about it - you will have your bluebook with you which has got all the answers, so it's not like you need to memorize anything. Whatever you need, will be in there.

You'll do fine!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:35 am

arose928 wrote:
Schadenfreude2017 wrote:Guys. I'm just terrified to fail the citation test tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice?
Did you take the practice tests? They're available on the library website. After taking one I saw the common tricks that they were going for so I did way better on the second one.

But better advice is to not worry too much about it. They're supposed to be super fair, the aim isn't for you to fail, it's for you to pass. If you've done the bluebook exercises you should be fine.

And if you are still worrying about it - you will have your bluebook with you which has got all the answers, so it's not like you need to memorize anything. Whatever you need, will be in there.

You'll do fine!
One of my best friends failed it. It was pretty funny. The whole school found out. He just took it again a few days later and passed.

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:33 pm

EvelynS wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Did anyone have Prasad Krishnamurthy for anti-trust or any other courses? If you have an outline to share, that would be incredible, but general thoughts would be nice too. (edit: I see I'm the third one in a row to come begging. Sorry for cluttering up your thread).
I took Prasad for another course. He was pretty reasonable and easy to communicate with. My course was more of a seminar course, so it was not stressful at all. I don't have any personal knowledge on his antitrust class, but I have heard it was ok. I think that some of the journals may have an outline for this course...check business law journal or BTLJ (they would probably have it since their members would likely the people taking the course).
Prasad's antitrust course was the best course I took in law school, hands down. I don't any my outline anymore, but highly recommend taking it. You will need to be able to do basic math.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:13 am

I had Prasad for for antitrust too. I don't have an outline handy anymore but he's a good guy. Sometimes seemed a little flustered but all in all he made an 8 AM antitrust class very bearable. He does an on-call schedule, fwiw.

bamb00zled

Bronze

Post by bamb00zled » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 am

MissouriMisery wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
MissouriMisery wrote:Hey boalters! Thanks for taking our questions.

If I choose boalt this fall, my SO will have a job in San Francisco. Clearly the commute will be bad for one of us. I have heard of 2L and 3Ls living in SF, but would that be crazy as a 1L? The reverse commute of SF to Berkeley is clearly easier traffic wise than the commute for my SO from berkeley to SF...

Anybody with experience doing either of these commutes? Muni/Bart/Walk combo look like they would take about an hour each way and cost $7.80 round trip every day... While bridge is 4 bucks or so but includes the issue of parking?

My SO would be getting to work around 7am and leaving around 6 pm-- if commuting from berkeley to SF and back, how is the traffic at those hours?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Transbay buses are free with the student pass. The F comes right to the law school. Look up your options to do a commute that way and that would be the cheapest.

Thanks, yeah that sounds like a good option and have looked into it as well. Really for our 1st year we are primary concerned about convenience and traffic patterns -- neither of us want to have an absolutely miserable commute. Also, as a 1L if I lived in SF, concerned that it would tricky attending all of the different meetings/groups/etc that I want to, making friends, going out as typicaly 1Ls do, etc.
Throwing it back because I have a very similar question to Missouri Misery's original post. Any advice on if its a bad idea to live in SF as a 1L, if your SO (live together) is going to be working there?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 am

patentlitigatrix wrote:
EvelynS wrote:
Prasad's antitrust course was the best course I took in law school, hands down. I don't any my outline anymore, but highly recommend taking it. You will need to be able to do basic math.
Now that I'm on the other side of the course, I can confirm that Prasad is the man.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:27 pm

bamb00zled wrote:Throwing it back because I have a very similar question to Missouri Misery's original post. Any advice on if its a bad idea to live in SF as a 1L, if your SO (live together) is going to be working there?
It'd be fine if you don't mind the commute. You can take BART from the city and the bus to the law school. Gotta figure out how to get to BART from wherever you live.

bamb00zled

Bronze

Post by bamb00zled » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Kronk wrote:
bamb00zled wrote:Throwing it back because I have a very similar question to Missouri Misery's original post. Any advice on if its a bad idea to live in SF as a 1L, if your SO (live together) is going to be working there?
It'd be fine if you don't mind the commute. You can take BART from the city and the bus to the law school. Gotta figure out how to get to BART from wherever you live.
Do you think it would interfere with events/studying/having new friends?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:40 pm

bamb00zled wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Do you think it would interfere with events/studying/having new friends?
Maybe. To the extent you let it. If you think a ~1hr commute each way is going to make you hesitate to go to events or make new friends, then yes, it will probably interfere with it. Fuck it, though, I'd rather live in the city and if you have a good excuse (SO has a job) and a good person to be there with (assuming you like your SO) I would do that in a second.

I was never the best about making a ton of Boaltie friends, though. They were great people, but I had a crew in SF/Berkeley already that I was pretty content with. One of my bigger regrets. I lived in Oakland most of the time. I am also not the type to study in the school, though. Rather do it at home with Netflix.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”