Boalt 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
arose928

Bronze

Re: Boalt 1Ls taking questions

Post by arose928 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:35 am

sash wrote:This might sound odd but does anyone know if Boalt has any sort of "motto" or core causes or something like that?

I read the 2006 interview with former Dean Berring and he said "Boalt’s “weltanschauung,” or worldview/philosophy of life, makes learning a joint enterprise where students work together toward the common goal of inquiring and then gaining knowledge." Mentioning this worldview could really nicely fit into the conclusion of my PS, but I think citing a 10+ year old quote would not be the best idea. I can't find anything online recent or otherwise reiterating what Berring said.
I don't know if I would really quote any professor at all from the website but just allude to the same values so the connection is implied. But one of the phrases that gets tossed around all the time is Prof Oppenheimer's "we don't have a pro bono program, we have a pro bono culture." (See here: https://www.law.berkeley.edu/experienti ... o-program/) Berkeley likes to toot its own horn about its public interest/social justice cred. Whether or not they earn that is debatable, but one way it does actually manifest is the 1L SLPS program, where 1Ls can participate in legal service projects. I haven't been to another law school but I think that's a unique feature of Berkeley. I think citing actual things like that instead of just quoting something would show instead of tell if you're trying to demonstrate "Why Berkeley"

elliess

New

Post by elliess » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Does anyone know the attendance policy at Boalt? I just got into Berkeley and I'm obviously planning on going to most/all of my classes, but I would also like to go to Burning Man next year, and the dates for it are August 26 through September 3, 2018. That will be Berkeley's second week of classes. I'm thinking the whole week might not be doable, but maybe Wednesday to Sunday, which would lead me to miss the second Thursday & Friday of classes. Would this be possible at Boalt or is there a strict attendance policy? I am completely serious. The event takes a lot of planning so I'd rather know sooner if I can't make it.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm

elliess wrote:Does anyone know the attendance policy at Boalt? I just got into Berkeley and I'm obviously planning on going to most/all of my classes, but I would also like to go to Burning Man next year, and the dates for it are August 26 through September 3, 2018. That will be Berkeley's second week of classes. I'm thinking the whole week might not be doable, but maybe Wednesday to Sunday, which would lead me to miss the second Thursday & Friday of classes. Would this be possible at Boalt or is there a strict attendance policy? I am completely serious. The event takes a lot of planning so I'd rather know sooner if I can't make it.
I think attendance depends on the professor, but missing two classes in a course is definitely fine. I know of people who have missed way more than two classes in one course this semester and it's been fine.

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm

elliess wrote:Does anyone know the attendance policy at Boalt? I just got into Berkeley and I'm obviously planning on going to most/all of my classes, but I would also like to go to Burning Man next year, and the dates for it are August 26 through September 3, 2018. That will be Berkeley's second week of classes. I'm thinking the whole week might not be doable, but maybe Wednesday to Sunday, which would lead me to miss the second Thursday & Friday of classes. Would this be possible at Boalt or is there a strict attendance policy? I am completely serious. The event takes a lot of planning so I'd rather know sooner if I can't make it.
It depends on the prof. My "graded" courses had no explicit requirement. My LRW prof had me make up my absences. I probably missed 15-20 classes in total.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:43 pm

There is generally no attendance policy, except for small classes. Large lectures don't really take attendance, although if you get cold called and you're not there, there's that.

That being said, I wouldn't skip the second week of 1L, but you do you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”